Start by marking “Essence (Eve #1)” as Want to Read:
Essence (Eve #1)

Essence

(Eve #1)

Jocelyn Timmons does not believe she is anything special — just an ordinary high school senior, living an ordinary life full of school-work, volleyball and friends. She’s about to find out how wrong she is.

Jackson Chandler moved in to the house across the street. His dark wavy hair, green eyes and charismatic personality draws everyone to him. Everyone, but Jocelyn.

Paperback, Second Edition, 308 pages
Published January 15th 2014 by Booktrope Publishing (first published August 1st 2011)

Start your review of Essence (Eve #1)
A.L. Waddington
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I think I may be a bit biased, but someone sent me a recommendation to read the book I wrote so I'm going to give it five stars!! LOL
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo pocketwatch_zpse50b391d.jpg

“Time will reveal my love.”

Rating: 4.5 stars

Essence is book one of The Eve Series by A.L. Waddington. This is a wonderful, well written book that explores the concept that is written in the synopsis, “Our minds wander, can our souls as well?”

2009
We meet Jocelyn Timmons. She has a normal happy teenage life. She is almost 18, in her last year of high school, is thinking about college and has a wonderful family and great friends. She lives in Chicago in what I perceived to be a beautiful
Maayan
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Whoa! This story was so unique!

At the beginning I was sure I'm gonna get bored reading about her life in 1878, but with every moving chapter I found myself more and more intrigued!! I wanting to see her and Jackson together, and to discover all the secrets in her life there.

It was so different comparing both her lives!! From one side she lived in two different times, alas her education is a bit different, but her soul and personality is the same.

Meet Jocelyn in 1878

Meet Jackson in 1878

Jocelyn
Zyra
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
dnf at 71%
i wanted to like this book so much, but i couldn't, its way too slow & boring. the main lead in modern times doesn't does much except for fainting every now & then. in Victorian times its just family drama & nothing much holding the book together.
in modern times mc & its love interest just does not click for me. its like it was, so it is or should be.
Joslyn Marsh
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book, very well written, relatable to a large audience and I loved the characters, mainly Jenna. Many of them act like my own friends do making them even more real. Essence was truly amazing and easily one of my all time favorites. I can't wait for the second one to come out!!
Calum
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A new debut YA novel called ‘Essence’ by A.L.Waddington is a tale that not long after you start reading it, you very quickly realise that you have found a great new type of YA story that quickly ‘reels you in’ right from the very start.

Within ‘Essence’ Jocelyn Timmons is quickly introduced as the main character within the story. Jocelyn does not believe that she is anything special, just an ordinary high school senior, living an ordinary life full of school-work, volleyball and friends, but then
Phoebe Bear
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essence completely caught me off guard. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, mainly because this was the first book I could find by this author, but let’s just say I can’t wait to read more. The story draws you in and holds you until the very last page leaving you hungry for more. Her characters are so REAL and it felt like I was hanging out with my own friends. Jocelyn is so down-to-earth and Jackson is so completely irresistible! I wish he would move in across the street from my house! Plus, ...more
Zoe
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine got me this book for Christmas. She gave it to me two days ago and I just finished it. I couldn't put it down! I absolutely loved it!! It has everything from romance, suspense to captivating characters. A.L. Waddington is one of the best new authors I've stumbled across in a long time. I cannot wait until the next book comes out!!
Keifer Marsh
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though i have yet to finish the book, i have found myself getting lost in the words of Jocelyn Timmons. A.L. Waddington takes us on a journey that not only lets you explore reality, but explore whats possibile over plossable. This book is one ina million and i reccommend it to anyone who enjoys a good read and getting lost for hours on end.
Alyssa Marsh
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.L Waddingtons book Essence is the best moving book I had ever read. Once I started reading, it was hard to put down.It is one of those books that you will enjoy and make you think "oh my god I wonder what's going to happen." I just can't wait to see what A.L Waddington comes up with next.
Tyrone
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found A.L. Waddington’s ARC book, Essence, a very entertaining read. The story line is a great new look at the concept of time travel and how it could exist. Her leading characters are very well developed and they make you want to turn the page and see what they do next. As a fan of history the mingling of real events in history wrapped around her characters give the story a very real feeling. I can see this book series becoming an instant classic and fan favorite.
Tracy
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting enough that I didnt want to put it down or for the story to end. I am excited to get to the next one in the series. It took me back to my high school days of first love and a time I've always wanted to explore, and this author does that, can't wait to read more from A.L Waddington.
Ty
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the book very well written and hard to put down. all the characters are really well defined and tend to draw you into their lives.I must say i was very taken by the story and iam looking forward to reading more in the series. HIGHLY RECOMEND!!!
Caitlin
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once I began to read the ARC, I could not stop. The characters, especially Jocelyn and Jackson, draw you in and have you wanting more. The aspect of time travel and the two time periods is fascinating and unique. I am eager to read the next installment of the series when it comes out in April.
Michelle
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
**See this full review and more at http://bookbriefs.net**

Essence takes place in two time periods. The chapters alternate between the present, 2009 and 1848. I really enjoyed trying to piece the mystery of what was happening together. I liked reading the dual stories because I just couldn't pinpoint what exactly was happening. Some of the characters were the same, but many of the characters in the two time periods were different not only in name, but also in personality. So I just couldn't
Nay Denise
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
**This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review**

Gave this a 4.5 stars!

Where do I begin with this beautiful book! This definitely turned out more different than I expected it to be and I am very much in love with this series so far.

Let me start off by saying the cover is absolutely gorgeous! I love the color, the butterflies, the girl flinging her hair and the font. The cover is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

The writing was flawless. It flowed easily from year to
Lucinda
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An exciting new YA paranormal romance that’s simply stunning!

“Time will reveal my love…”

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Heartrending. Breathtaking. Epic.
This fantastic debut is utterly sensational and left me gasping in awe, of the beautifully written narrative and sublime storytelling. Highly imaginative and well conceived the deftly woven, intricate plot pulls you in with each new page and chapter. I fell in love with the characters and in particular Jocelyn, whose enchanting connection with Jackson I found so touching
Meredith Schorr
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I find the concepts of time travel and alternate dimensions extremely intriguing and so I jumped at the chance for a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

17 year old Jocelyn lives a pretty ordinary life as a high school student in 2009 until a new family moves across the street with their gorgeous son Jackson, who is the same age as Jocelyn and immediately takes an interest in her. Jocelyn finds herself very attracted to Jackson but for some reason she becomes nauseous and
Beth
Essence might just be the freshest, newest take on a young adult story. I have never heard or even conceived of a story quite like this and frankly Waddinton's imagination astounds me. This story jumps between the present 2009 and a distant past. At first, I was a little befuddled by the jumps, unsure if it was a reincarnation, actual time travel or maybe even something else. I was drawn in by its complexities and fascinated by the family, friends and love that was found between the pages. My ...more
Tammy O'keefe
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Time will reveal my love” is the telling inscription on a pocket watch that Jackson gives to Jocelyn in this sweet romance by A.L. Waddington in her book Essence. This is a captivating story of young love mysteriously taking place in two time periods. Which one is reality? Or are they both real? I enjoyed noting the differences and similarities between the two time periods while A.L. Waddington created the suspense about the strange connection that Jackson and Jocelyn have. This page-turner was ...more
Jennifer Moody
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Review I absolutely loved this book! From the very beginning I was hooked, then the ending why oh why did there has to be a cliffhanger!? Jocelyn was so smart but I just wanted to scream the answer at her. The you can just tell Jackson is hot and so yummy and someone I wished I met in high school. The different scenes kind of threw me but once I got the hang of it I wanted more! The Jocelyn from the past isn't the same Jocelyn from the future, I mean they are the same person but two different ...more
Kevin
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is a wonderful concept with good execution for a first-time author. The story is original and manages to capture many of contradictions of adolescence (youth/maturity; dependency/autonomy; constantly shifting sense of self). The main character, Jocelyn, finds herself torn between two realities (or are they?). The reader experiences her tumultuous existence along with her. I think this is a book that will resonate more with young readers than with older adults. It could benefit from ...more
Patsy Urban
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am thrilled that Essence is a series. The story creates a fresh and interesting perspective on the application of time travel in an exciting and romantic sci-fi book. This author has the wonderful ability to bring characters to life! Each person has unique descriptions and traits and as they interact they are clear distinct people in your mind. Waddington's descriptions of the eras and scenes are so vivid that while reading this book all my senses seemed to become engaged. Although a young ...more
Tiana Marie
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this story and I was so excited to read it. I am 12 and get bored easily with books, but this one kept my attention the whole time. I was very interested in all of the story and loved all the details put into it. I think this book was great for my age with it's maturity level, but also is prefect for adults as well. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to read. Well written!
Cheryl Monette
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, The love story between Jocelyn and Jackson surpasses all other love stories. The way A.L. Waddington draws you inside the story is wonderful. This book kept me wanting more and that is exactly what I got with each turn of the page. I am excited about the second book in this series I can hardly wait to see where Jocelyn and Jackson take me next.
Liang Ang
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book with a concept that is done is such a way that it is fresh and new. The story will stick with you for years to come. Its well written and wonderfully done. Its such a fun read!!! I highly recommend it. It also makes a great gift to any young reader or college student.
K.M.
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A timeless love and time travel... When I turned the last page and it was over I literally yelped!
Bethany
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read and my 15-year-old absolutely loved it. We can't wait until #2 in the series comes out.
Bee

Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

DNF at 42%

I'm sorry, I can't go on with this anymore. I just really don't like it and I have to force myself to read and if I continue doing that I'm going to push myself right back into a reading slump.

The first thing that bothered me was that the author cut to a new scene rather in the middle of something. She's explaining how Jocelyn and her friends grew up and how Jenna and Kyle (her friends) got together and then suddenly in the middle of
Jasmine
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Rating: I give the book 4 of 5 stars

The book was intriguing and new. I liked that this book wasn’t like others time traveling books, where you travel with something to the past. No, here the characters have the genetic ability to connect to their parallel/past life. The ability develops when they are almost adults so they live a normal life until their genetic code activates somehow and they connect their
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A.L. Waddington has her master’s in military psychology and is currently working on her doctorate. She is an avid researcher and reader and when she is not lost in the world of her own creation, she is busy exploring the southwest region of the country. She is slightly addicted to coffee and after recently moving to Arizona, has a new-found appreciation for Central Air Conditioning. She and her ...more

Eve (4 books)