Start by marking “Mirrored (Kendra Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mirrored (Kendra Chronicles, #3)

Mirrored

(Kendra Chronicles #3)

Mirror, mirror in my hand…

Beauty is the key to everything. At least, that’s how it seems to Violet—ugly, bullied, and lonely. To be beautiful, in her eyes, is to have power and love. And when Kendra, the witch, teaches Violet how to use magic, she may finally get what she wants.

For Celine, beautiful since birth, her looks have been a hindrance. She discovers that beauty is
Published September 15th 2015 by Harper Teen

To ask other readers questions about Mirrored, please sign up.
Alex Flinn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
May 02, 2015 marked it as dnf
DNF - 20%

I don't think I can do this. I haven't read any of Flinn's other books, but I do love a good retelling so I thought I'd check this one out. I can already tell the obsession with looks would really annoy me if I continued, as well as Violet's obsession with Greg-the-asshole, and the fact that her arch nemesis is an evil but beautiful high school mean girl.

"I realized what I had known, probably all along, what ugly girls since the beginning of time had been trying to deny: Beauty was all
♛Tash
Sep 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @51%

This is the first paragraph of Amazon's blurb for Mirrored:
"In #1 New York Times bestselling author Alex Flinn's modern and mysterious retelling of Snow White, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and true love doesn't necessarily mean Prince Charming."

Modern and mysterious retelling of Snow White
Catchy title
Fantastic cover

Sucker that I am, I jumped on the wagon real fast and got it, but alas, Mirrored failed to deliver on all facets. In a word, it's terrible.

Mirrored is a two part nov

“Mirror, mirror, in my hand, who is the fairest in the land?”

This was an okay Snow White retelling, but I did have some issues with it.

The first part of this story is told from the point of view of Violet, who is bullied because she is ugly, to the point where she is attacked, her best friend deserts her, and her life is generally unbearable. I have to say that I felt real
Sherwood Smith
Sep 22, 2015 added it
Shelves: fantasy
I have to say up front that I would not have finished this book if I hadn't felt obliged to because the publisher sent me a beautiful hardcover copy.

And in a way I am glad I pushed on, and in a way I'm not.

I think the audience it was aimed for--middle grade and maybe early high school--will buy into the entire story. The way that makes me sorry--in fact, to put it stronger, the point at which I nearly tossed the book--was an astounding moral trespass (view spoiler)
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Thank you Andye from readingteen.net for letting me review this book!!

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the most boring book of all?

Okay, that might be a little harsh, but honestly, not much happened.....at all. The backstory about Violet, who ends up being the "evil queen" TOOK FOREVER. So, I read 67 pages and ended up skimming the rest of the story.

Violet was, from the reactions of all the other characters and the repetitive description on every page, dreadfully ugly. I'm very much okay with ch
Cece
Apr 23, 2014 marked it as to-read
Why do I have a feeling that this book will wrench my heart?

Because of the description.

"VIOLET

. . . is a hideous child. That’s all there is too it. Those teeth! That nose! Those squinty eyes! Smart (like anyone cares), but hideous and unpopular. The only one who can stand her at all is Greg, a shy boy, who meets her because of her mysterious gift of healing. The two become fast friends. Violet hopes for more, but when teen years hit and Greg comes into his own beauty, he rejects Violet. Spurne
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
I fell for it. Again. I just need to stay away from Flinn's fairytales. They sound great and I'm always attracted to retellings like a moth to a flame, but they simply don't work for me. There is something about her choices for the story that clashes with what I expect and want.

It started good and I had hope that I might like this one. I felt sorry for Violet, who gets bullied and teased for her looks. People shut her out and use her desperation for friends for their own good. I know what it fee
Sharon
Here are some of my thoughts in no particular order:
• It was difficult to read Part I with Violet’s perspective. So vain, so superficial. However, when I realized that I wasn’t supposed to love her afterall (view spoiler), it made the book bearable.
• Part II: I like Celine. She is Snow White, in this case. I have never been a big fan of Snow White, but she is more likable fortunately. However, there’s not too much depth. While she is nice and I pity the even
FallingAngels
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited for this book!

SPECULATIONS:

*Clearly a Snow White retelling
*Kendra Chronicles?
*About the Magic Mirror?
*Evil queens tale?

More to come!

EDIT:

September 15th!!! This is so exciting! Please tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to this! Alex Flinn, write faster!
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay first I have to say that I absolutely love retelling of fairy tales. Snow White is one of them and I have to say that from page one I was hooked and could not stop reading. I was at the water park with the kids and they were splashing and having fun as I laid on my towel and read away. A few hours later my back was so hot I could not figure out why until my daughter said mom we have to go home you have sun poisoning on your back. I said oh crap I never reapplied my medicine so you know that ...more
Rebecca
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good twist of the Snow White fairy tale. My only problem: why oh why must the 'bad boys' never get the girl?!!!
Jessie Potts
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, sept-2015
Why you should read it: I’ve been on a fairy-tale kick lately, and this one is all about Snow White! We get to see the evil stepmother before she was evil and had her own problems. On top of that, it’s told in three parts, which is really interesting for readers who like the “full” story rather than just a snapshot from parts of the characters’ lives. Goose is by far my favorite. I adore unconventional heroes and heroines, and Goose is definitely unconventional.

INTERVIEW WITH ALEX FLINN

What has
R4Reader
Apr 24, 2014 marked it as to-read
MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL-- WHEN WILL THE PUBLISH DATE APPEAR TO ALL???

Cant wait to read another masterpiece by flinn!!!
Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)
This book was such an unexpected and wonderful surprise. I have loved some of Alex Flinn's previous fairytale retellings, but this one stands out for so many reasons. There is so much going on here than just a mere retelling. Flinn took the fairytale of Snow White, retold it in modern times, but took it to an entirely new level.

From the very beginning, I knew it was going to be different because the story is told in three parts, and from three different perspectives. The first part is told by Vi
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 87

I've never read an Alex Flinn novel before, so that could be a factor here. Still, I liked the cover well enough and I'm all about fairy tales (which has been betraying me today).

Thus far, Mirrored feels like being whacked over the head with the messages that changing your looks won't change your looks won't change your personality and that magic can't fix everything.

Violet has been bullied all her life because she's ugly. As a child, she saves a bird from a psychopathic boy. She
Fafa's Book Corner
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.75/5

Review coming soon!
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
3.5/5 stars

Mirrored is a Young Adult contemporary fairy tale retelling of Snow White with a magical element to it.

The book is divided into four sections. Elements from Snow White are woven throughout the story.

The first section takes place in the 1980s. The narrator is Violet, who is a child then teen. She is ugly and most of the school children are really mean to her. She meets Kendra, a witch who tells Violet that she is one too. Violet's goal is to make herself "the fairest one of all". She t
Abbie
I kind of felt sorry for Violet. She was bullied and she didn't know how to cope properly. Greg was an asshat.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A predictable and underwhelming novel that was enjoyable, but didn’t stand out among all of the retellings.

Opening Sentence: I was a strange child.

The Review:

Violet has never been beautiful. Her eyelashes seem non-existent, her nose is misshapen, and her chin is weak. Her mother is too beautiful and glamorous to appreciate her ugly daughter. To top it off, Violet isn’t well-liked at school – she is bullied constantly. The only friend she eve
Ruthsic
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Celine’s life is the stuff fairy tales are made of. She’s beautiful, talented, and brave. Unfortunately, her tale comes complete with a wicked stepmother! When Violet steps into Celine’s life, everything changes and weird things begin to happen to her—bizarre accidents, strange illnesses, and rabid animal attacks. Celine doesn’t feel safe anywhere. It’s almost as if some hateful witch is out to get her.

And there is. Violet has been waiting all her life to have Celine’s father to herself. Getting
Serenity
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Whoa baby! This book was brilliant! Right from the start I knew this was going to be an on edge of your seat type of book. I just couldn't put it down and just one of the best reads of the year. Alex has such talent.

Anywho...its a spin on snow white with a lot of twists. So Violet is a loner, and not by choice. She doesn't fit in with the people around her. She doesn't have good looks. Her eyelashes are so light, it's like she doesn't have any. Her nose isn't perfect. And well, she just didn't g
Shelley
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the better rewriting of a fairy tale. What I particularly enjoyed was that I was not able to figure out right from the beginning which fairy tale was being used. The modern spin shows how timeless the stories are. This story involves a woman who is obsessed with a boy from high school, so much that she will do anything to get him so when she finds out that she is a witch she starts with changing her appearance. This moves on to more evil tactics to get his attention away from the ...more
j.chestnut
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

I thought Mirrored was pretty cute and I liked but there were things that I really did not like...

THINGS I LIKED:
- Kendra
- Goose
- Celine
- Goose's family dynamic
- The retelling part of the plot it stuck to the fairytale really well

THINGS I DID NOT LIKE

- I HATED VIOLET!!!!! Even when she was a child I did not like her
- Jonah Prince, that part of story I really did not like
- I also did not like Celine's family dynamic

SOME RANDOM THINGS

-I really like the writing style and it agrees with my brain
Dana Buno
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this. It is by far the greatest Kendra Chronicles book. The plot was well paced and I was hooked into reading more. This book was impossible to put down. I definitely recommend anyone to read this.
Tracy
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
I started out thinking "I don't like Violet, I cannot read an entire book about Violet". But every villian must be introduced... :) I did like Celine and Goose very much, and therefore enjoyed the rest of the book and can live happily ever after.
Bookworm007
Hope this is better than Towering!!!
Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛
-POTENTIAL SPOILERS-

This one has a lot of negative reviews, and much like Cloaked, I can totally see why. Alex Flinn's fairy tale retellings seem to be very hit-or-miss. Everyone loves Beastly of course, and then everyone has another one of her fairy-tale retellings that they really like, then think the others are just average or even bad. Not me! With the exception of Towering, I've been a fan of all her retellings, and this one is no exception.

I found myself relating to Violet in the 1980's,
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Mirrored by Alex Flinn is a retelling of the popular Snow White fairy tale. It is very creatively done and the story really pulls you in.

The story is told in two parts. The first part is told by our evil witch Violet. We watch her grow up as an outcast and as a victim of bullying. We also get to see how she comes into her powers and watch her evolve into the character type we know her as. We get to see why she became evil and what drove her to be that way.

I felt drawn towards the misfit version
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Mirrored is a modern day version of Snow White but it does have a few twist and turns just like most of Alex Flinn’s retellings.

In the first section we meet Violet, she is sort of an ugly duckling and nobody likes her, but one day she does something magical and makes a friend in Greg. She also finds out that she is a witch and with the help of Kendra she finds out she can gradually make herself prettier and she thinks this is what she needs to do to be popular. It doesn’t really work. This part
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Mirrored by Alex Flinn (Kendra Chronicles #3) - Starting December 8, 2016 1 4 Oct 24, 2016 01:22AM
Much Ado About Kendra 1 4 Jul 25, 2016 02:16PM
Who (which parent) Celine looked like 1 3 Jul 25, 2016 02:11PM

• A Phantom Enchantment (Unbound, #3)
  • The Crystal Heart
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • Bewitched in Oz
  • The Thorn and the Sinking Stone
  • The Peddler's Road (The Secrets of the Pied Piper, #1)
  • A White So Red
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Beauty & The Clockwork Beast (The Clockwork Fairytales, #1)
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • Dark Shimmer
  • The Fairest of Them All
  • Red and the Wolf (Enchanted Fairytales, #2)
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
  • Umineko WHEN THEY CRY Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch, Vol. 1
  • Disney at Last (Kingdom Keepers: The Return #3)
  • Beauty & the Beast
  • I'm with Cupid (Switched at First Kiss, #1)
I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced my interest in witches. When I was five, my mom said I should be an author. And when I was eight, I got my first rejection letter from Highlights Magazine.

I learned to read early. But I compensated for this early proficiency by absolutely refusing to read the programmed readers required by the school sys

Kendra Chronicles (4 books)
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)
  • Beheld (Kendra Chronicles, #4)