Start by marking “Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)” as Want to Read:
Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)

Mending Noel

(North Pole City Tales #1)

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2012 Advent Calendar collection Evergreen.

North Pole City Tales: Book One

All is not sparkly snowflakes and sweet candy canes in North Pole City. Office workers Tim and Noel do nothing all day but antagonize each other—petty fighting that might be based on hatred… or a heated mutual attraction. It’s up to Jack Frost and his elf-friend Rud
Published December 1st 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mending Noel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mending Noel

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

A very sweet holiday story... but was I the only one that thought Noel should have done way more groveling?

I love holiday stories. Little seasonal tales of love and forgiveness never fail to put a smile on my face.

This was a really cute audiobook about two North Pole workers. I was actually pretty impressed at the amount of world building involved in this story. This wasn't just a bunch of elves and Santa in the North Pole. There was a whole class system, a more sinister underbelly, and a polic
Julio Genao
*gooey smile*

A confection of sweet whimsy.

This one's just the ticket for any cockles that need warming.
Vio
It's not a historical romance "sniff" and it threw me for a bit but once I got stuck into it I loved it and the elves were adorable. Tim cut a sad and lonely figure getting the rough treatment from Noel, who picked on him constantly, the twit. Feelings of inadequacy and love always cause misunderstandings but with some sound advice from Jack, Noel comes around, at least Tim gives him a bit of his own medicine. Delightful fantasy and the Rudy and Jack side story was just as appealing.

I
Meags
4 Stars

That was Fun with a capital F!

Set in Cochet’s awesomely imagined North Pole City, this story features a budding romance between co-worker elves Tim and Noel. Tim may be the runt of the litter but he’s a total sweetheart, he just can’t work out why grumpy pants Noel is always on his case.

After witnessing some bad guys plotting against Jack the Frost Prince, Tim and Noel are forced into close quarters for their own safety, under the protection of the Rein Dear Squadron leader Rudy. While
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Tongue in cheek, this was the wonderful world of winterland and Christmas lore reimagined, and it was all sorts of smart and sugary and adorable!

Tim and Noel are elves in North Pole City, and they clash in every which way. When Tim stumbles upon a possible conspiracy, his help is wanted by the prince, Jack Frost himself. Despite outward appearances indicating that Noel can’t stand Tim, he’s not going to let Tim take all the risk in catching the bad guys.

The premise here is definitely pr
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: m/m romance, holiday romance, christmas lovers
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: jen mathews
~~~~~~~~

***One of my holiday favorites***
Now available in Audiobook:

Sparkly Sweet Sexiness!
Dripping Droplets of Delightful Dudes!
Crackling Cinnamon Kisses, Kris Kringle!!!!!!

Holy Holly , I had to take a BIG Jumpin' Jack Frost Leap of Faith on this one. Within two pages I was thinking, "What have I gotten myself into?" Thank Tinsel I read on; what a Pretty Present this turned out to be. So, Heighten your Holiday and don't be afraid to climb up o
Barbara➰
Well, I thought I was going to get a sweet little holiday read. What I got was an asshole hero for 50% of the book. Tim was depressing in the beginning and Noel was just a mean ass. I think it was just too short for me to really believe in the two of them. Noel does come around but as I said, it was just too short to make me like him. I liked the writing and it really had the potential to be much better if it was longer.
Heller
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

A really fun and clever spin on life in the North Pole. Incredibly adorable and sweet but never overly so, just like the right amount of marshmallows in the hot chocolate kind of sweet.

I loved all the characters. Shy Tim, gruff Noel, and the secondary characters of Rudy and Jack Frost. I'm still grinning thinking about this book. Recommended.
Ami

My reaction: Well, THAT was different ...

I was so used to Ms. Cochet's historical stories, that this story took me by surprised because it was a fantasy (albeit one that was familiar myth). The beginning was a bit rough for me to follow; again because I wasn't expecting a fantasy. It started with Tim being grumpy because he was alone at the office filing invoices. But wait, there was Abominable Administrative Department for more magical pastures", "elves", "Mayor Kringle’s Construction
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Holy Holly!” This story is sweet, sweet adorableness!

Tim is the sweetest elf ever! Smiles, goodness, and clumsy cuteness aplenty. I want to smother him with kisses! But Noel, his supervisor in the Abominable Administrative Department, is a big bully making Tim’s life miserable. One nippy, snow covered night of danger and mystery send Tim and Noel to places they only dreamed of though. A twist of fate that has Tim wondering if maybe, just maybe there is a reason behind Noel’s grumpy, growling w
Macky
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Clapping hands with sparkly glee*
Sweet, magical and a proper little Xmas cracker!!! Fun with a little twinkle of elf intrigue, some elftastic romance and a dollop of festive fun... What's not to love. Ho ho ho!
Susan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This might be the MOST adorbs thing I have ever read.

Ok, so I’l admit, starting out, I had trouble getting into this. I mean, all I could picture when I was reading a story about elves and living in the North Pole and working for Mayor Kringle was those old school clay-mation holiday films and how everyone looks miniaturized. And then my mind went to the movie “Elf” with Will Ferrell and I was certain there was no going back from there.

BUT…when I convinced myself that these were real’is
Ann
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Audrey J.
Such a great Christmas story about elves and Jack Frost and Rudy and I loved it!

Noel has some issues and he was an angry elf. I was surprised the author was able to make me like him in the end.

Great world building and I totally bought into the whole North Pole life. I also immediately bought the sequel. Highly recommended and fun read.

ETA - 2014: Go listen to the audiobook, like right now!
Audrey
4.5 stars.

I adored this book.

Grumpy elves. The North Pole. Rudy the Rein Dear. This story basically exploded in Santa jizz all over my Kindle, and I adored every moment of it.

The worldbuilding in this story is so fun with cute turns of phrases and clever little plays on words for the various persons and magical beings who inhabit the North Pole and make the magic of Christmas possible. I just loved stepping into the fantasy world of the North Pole that Mending Noel creates so effortlessly.

The M
Deeze
3.5

Sweet and fun.

Loved the word play and the magical setting.

Tim is adorable and Noel is rather funny when he is being all grumpy, although I didn't like him in the beginning.

I look forward to reading more in this series.

ETA OK I'm ready for the rest of this series now.

ETA I love this setting
Charlie Cochet
Dec 01, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi folks! I just wanted to add a little comment for you all so this story doesn't catch you off guard. My apologies to those wondering what the heck is going on. Mending Noel isn't historical. It's just a sweet, fun little Christmas story with elves that takes place at the North Pole.

I know, how'd I go from 1930s to elves? It sort of just happened. I promise I'm still continuing with the historicals, because I love them so, but I'll also be branching out into other genres because I enjoy them t
Len Evans Jr
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, christmas
This short Christmas novella was all I could have hoped it to be. I was intrigued by the whole North Pole City idea, with a Mayor Kringle, Frost King, Jack Frost, Rudy Rein Dear and lots of other elves. The author has created a jolly, fun world to set these stories in and the first was a truly stunning tale. Tim and Noel's story was a joy to read and I can't wait to read the rest of the series! What awesome Christmas fun!
Camille Adams
This was very cute and made me smile. It reminds me a lot of another Xmas book I can't recall the title to for the life of me. That elf thought his boss hated him too. Anyway, this was a sweet read.

ETA: yes, the one to which this is similar though better than is The Naughty Ones
Sushi (寿司)
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fucking loved this short story. It was so wonderful that soon I am going to buy the other five books. 💕
DaisyGirl
2.5 Stars

This is a twist on Santa's city at the North Pole. Tim and Noel are elves relegated to working in the Abominable Administrative Department (AAD). Tim is a clerk and Noel is his supervisor. Once friends (or at least on friendly terms), the two now spend their work days antagonizing each other. A scary encounter in a back alley one evening lands Tim and Noel on the Rein Dear Squadron Leader's (Rudy) doorstep. With Rudy and Jack Frost's help, Tim and Noel are able to figure out the root of
Sheri
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly & sweet. Sparkly tinsel treat.
Giddy and light-hearted with a guarantee of holiday giggles.
Tim & Noel are elves at the North Pole. They begin with a bumpy relationship that tosses them into a sticky situation. Lots of fluff, lots of cheese, and lots of fun.
Adorable characters and amusing descriptions wrapped into a cute holiday novella. Grab a cup of cocoa and enjoy this cheerful and amusing Christmassy tale.
*3 holly-fun stars*
Stephanie
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
This book was so adorable and different. The book is written from both Tim and Noel's POV. I love Tim and grew to love Noel. I love how the author portrayed Jack Frost, Rudy and other holidays characters. It also made me laugh. Really sweet Christmas story.
Brendy
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale-like
Just a merry christmas tale about 2 sexy (well, they're sexy in my head, I can't picture them otherwise.XD)elves in love.

Not much to say about this one. Quite short.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This is my favorite story so far in this year's advent calendar. Right from the beginning it is interesting, fun, and suspenseful. I enjoyed the way Noel hated Tim so much and Tim's confusion over that hatred. It's heartbreaking but when you figure out the reason for Noel's bullying, you feel really sorry for him. But then Tim's soft heart soothes Noel, which made it really special.

I loved both Noel and Tim and I loved that Jack Frost and Ruby (Rudolph) played a role in getting them together. I
Serena Yates
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute Christmas story, with the North Pole run like a modern company, including departments and interdepartmental politics. And even the relationships between the elves reminded me of those often seen between office workers in large corporations. Tim is being bullied by his supervisor, Noel, who in turn has become extremely grumpy since he started working with Tim. Some elves are better than others (or think they are), top positions are jostled for like in any human office, and there ar ...more
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
I had such fun reading this, lots of light snowy fluffy flakes of fun.

As usual, Charlie adds some very heartfelt and grounded elements that get right to the humanity of her characters. She uses imperfections and insecurities to paint gentle layers of depth to the flouncy, clever wordplay and humor of those characters and the story as a whole.

Seriously, I wanna hang out with Tim. I wanna watch him get all excited over whatever next and newest project comes his way. I wanna hear him let loose a "h
Jen
Closer to 3.5 stars, but I'll round up.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Just... Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

This story is freaking adorable!!!! Half of me felt silly reading something so... Hallmark-y, but the other part me was all... *_* OMG, THIS IS SO CUUUUUTE, CHRISTMAS AND YULE ARE COMING, OMG!!

LOL

It was actually surprisingly well done, if you don't mind lots of cheese. The plot is engaging and tightly constructed, the writing is solid, and the characters are a whole lotta fun, from sweet, brave, little T
Cole Riann
Adorable!! I love that Charlie is branching out :) and even better that her first non-historical story was about the North Pole! I don't know why, but every year there's usually one story or so about elves, Santa, etc at the North Pole and they're like crack to me, so thank you for writing this Charlie and it was completely charming!
Melissa
haha, this was adorable!! Tim doesn't use regular swear words, but Christmas themed words like Plum Pudding!, Sugar Snaps!, Crabapples! I love it!! This was such a clever story. Can't wait to read the next one. Highly recommend.
Natalia
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Romance Readers R...: December Buddy Read - Mending Noel 12 105 Dec 14, 2015 02:19PM
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • Inspiration
  • Wish List
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Rebound (Heartwarming)
  • Eight Days
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Bianca's Plan
  • Needing A Little Christmas
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • A Wealth of Unsaid Words
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Christmas Delights
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
Charlie Cochet is the international bestselling author of the THIRDS series. Born in Cuba and raised in the US, Charlie enjoys the best of both worlds, from her daily Cuban latte to her passion for classic rock.

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found devouring a book, re

North Pole City Tales (6 books)
  • The Heart of Frost (North Pole City Tales, #2)
  • Vixen's Valor (North Pole City Tales, #3)
  • Loving Blitz (North Pole City Tales, #4)
  • Disarming Donner (North Pole City Tales, #5)
  • The King's Courage (North Pole City Tales, #6)
“Being different doesn’t make you broken. Look at me, I’m the smallest elf in all of the AAD. My father was a toy soldier, yet I have no discernible skills whatsoever. I might feel a little lost at times, but I’m not broken” 4 likes