Start by marking “In Movement There Is Peace (Anxiety Treatment Alternatives)” as Want to Read:
In Movement There Is Peace (Anxiety Treatment Alternatives)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

In Movement There Is Peace (Anxiety Treatment Alternatives)

In Movement There is Peace is a powerful tale of travel, adventure and unexpected faith.
It begins with a doctor who walks away from her practice in order to cure her own paralyzing anxiety. Once free, she discovers that leaving is really only fleeing if there's no new direction. Could this be the reason for her husband’s sudden inspiration?

"I want us to walk the Camino de
Published September 21st 2013 by PsyConOps (first published August 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In Movement There Is Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Movement There Is Peace

Tui Allen
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully crafted and well edited piece of writing. I read it after I saw it being discussed on one of the Amazon discussion threads.

I rarely read travel writing. I'm glad I read this one and it will stick with me a long time. The journey undertaken may not have been the most challenging and dangerous journey in the world that someone could choose. This was not about becoming a world-beating athlete. This was a true personal journey, courageously laid bare for all of us to see and fo
Sandra Heinzman
Ever since I saw the movie, The Way, I've wanted to hike the Camino, along the same route as in this book. I loved the alternating points of view from the authors, as it provided even more depth to the book. And I loved the lessons of the day at the end of each chapter. I have never highlighted so much as I have with this book! I read it on my iPad and I loved being able to click on the links in the middle of a sentence to go to a site which provided more information. My only criticism is that I ...more
Dianne
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books about the Camino de Santiago and this is one of my favorites. (I have walked the Camino Frances twice and the Camino Portuguese once.) It is interesting to see a husband's and a wife's perspective and challenges. This would be well worth reading before or after walking the pilgrimage.
Julie
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Emilio Estevez's movie, "The Way" that is about a man's journey to connect with the son he lost by hiking the Camino de Santiago or "The Way of Saint James." This very old trek between France and Spain has been used for hundreds of years as a pilgrimage to gain absolution and thousands of pilgrims take this 500 mile walk every year. So when I saw this book mentioned on the movie's website, I jumped onto Amazon and bought it right away.

The book explores one couple's journey on the Camino
David
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this travel journal, and as suspected, it created an intense desire in me to walk the Camino. Towards the end of the book, Joe the co-author and husband of the other author, struggles with his desire to always be on the move, seeking the next adventure. He had bought into the half-truth of "it's not the destination, it's the journey." His epiphany on the trek was that he had been a wanderer in his life, adrift with no purpose and he discovered that life without purpose is worth ...more
Heidi Ochoa
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. And I liked the way the book was written. It was a he wrote/she wrote kind of memoir - but he didn't write every day. Through this narrative, I found myself kind of falling in love with the individuals and then also with both of them as a married couple.
I particularly enjoyed the way she worked to overcome her anxiety through her Camino experiences and how they kept themselves open to the possibilities for 500 miles.
Judy
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading a lot of books about different people's experience of the Camino de Santiago. I enjoyed this one because it was told from the point of view of both the husband and wife, and because they were so open about the effects of the journey on them individually and as a couple. It was told day by day, and each day's entry ended with the lesson they learned that day.
A
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! I couldn't put it down. The entire journey was a testament of God's subtle way of showing us that in the end we always search for him in everything. Beautifully written by Elaine and Joe Foster. Brutally honest and heartfelt. I loved it.
Kathryn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This was an enjoyable journey on the Camino de Santiago. I chose this to read because I have wanted to do the Camino since I first heard of it from a Spanish friend almost 20 years ago now, but the time or finances have never been right. My husband and I are now starting to plan the trip, likely still a couple years from now as we arrange prolonged time off from work. We are not Catholic, but love hiking, love the idea of seeing this part of the Pyrenees, and love the contemplation and spiritual ...more
Mark Gannon
Defiantly an interesting read, and there is something for everyone. Elaine and her husband Joe reveal a lot about themselves within the book. I enjoyed their writing style, which at times felt more like a conversation between good friends rather that either author writing about a set of facts. It is interesting to see Elaine's progression back to her faith, which doesn't happen as a 'BAM' moment from heaven, but is rather a gradual awakening to it via the kindness and help she receives through t ...more
Leanne Hunt
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
A highly personal account of a couple’s pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago. I found it interesting from the point of view of planning a possible trip, and also learning about the current favourite walking tour in Europe. To be honest, the book made me rethink my eagerness to attempt the Camino because it really highlights the physical demands of the route. At the same time, I enjoyed reading about the friendships that emerged on the path and the way the narrators were made to face their own li ...more
Alysia
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
It was okay. I kind of enjoyed it but I probably wouldn't have finished it if I hadn't been reading it for a book club. I just got a bit bored while reading it I guess. But I liked the writers, I liked the adventure of what they were doing and I respected their reasons for doing it. I just felt sometimes they were trying too hard to portray some profound lesson learned each day.
Jeff
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a bit more emotional at times then I would have preferred. However, I read the story mainly because I wanted to learn about the Camino de Santiago and Spain. I learned a great deal about both by reading this book.
Kate
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've thought about walking the Camino since good friends of mine shared their experiences. This book takes you through the sometimes grueling, sometimes joyous journey in a very readable way. Now I'm not sure if I would be up to the challenge! I loved reading about it though.
Elizabeth wilson
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Not just your average Camino travel journal. This book provides a true insight into the daily life, the struggles and the joy.....real food for thought if you are truly considering the journey.
Paula Yerke
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book about walking the Camino from 2 perspectives- a husband and wife team. Surprisingly, it took away some of my desire to walk it. She was too good at highlighting the pain!!
Tertia Malyon
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Great read, particularly if you are planning to do the Camino. Loved reading from the different perspectives. Thoroughly enjoyed the easy reading style.
Melissa
**This book was received as a Free Advanced Reviewer's Copy**

I'd never heard of The Camino De Santiago before reading this book. The Appalachian Trail, yes. The Camino, no. Maybe that's because even though it is a 800 km trek, it's more of a spiritual journey than a physical one. After all, you're supposed to receive forgiveness at the end and it's considered a pilgrimage.

Elaine Foster, a Psychologist, takes an early retirement to work on her own issues. Her husband, Joe, encourages her to walk
Gayle Pace
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW
The book is about two adults with discord in their minds and emotions. They are strong, though, because they chose to tell of their weaknesses and strengths to make themselves better and help others help themselves.

Ms. Foster has been a doctor, a medical officer, a professor and an expert in psychology. This is over a span of twenty-five years. She was divorced which took a toll on her self esteem. She bore children. Being a girl from the city she was shy,fearful of germs and full of anxie
Joan
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
500 miles of therapy

This is the memoir, or diary you might call it, of two mature adults with troubled minds and emotions who chose to reveal their strengths and weaknesses to enhance themselves and help others to have the courage and/or incentive to do the same.

Over a span of twenty-five years Elaine had been a doctor, a medical officer, a professor and an expert in psychology. She had children, but she had been divorced, which shook her self-esteem, was a city girl, full of anxieties, shy of m
Sanjiva Wijesinha
Elaine and Joe Foster's account of their pilgrimage on the Camino is a thoroughly absorbing read.
This is not simply an account of their progress along the pilgirim trail but a story that provides a revealing insight into their own lives as well as their personal and spiritual progress as they walked, determinedly and sometimes in great pain, along this 500 mile path.
I liked the quotations they provide at the beginning of each chapter - for example, Gene Roddenberry's statement "If man is to surv
Cathy
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who dream of being Camino pilgrims
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in September of this year and I've begun my preparations already. I've seen the movie, The Way, and I've been reading John Brierley's A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean * Roncesvalles * Santiago, and now I just finished this excellent travel diary by a couple, Joe and Elaine Foster, who walked the Camino and finished about the same time of year I hope to finish. I liked reading about the challenges they encountered, and the internal demo ...more
Patrick
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read a number of Camino books and this just might be my favorite. For me, what set this one apart from others is that along with the description of their Camino walk they also provided an interesting account of the emotional dynamics they were experiencing. Written from both the husband and wife point of view, those emotions became an on-going drama throughout their walk. As other Camino books, they describe the trail, the towns, where they stayed and the food. They also give you an invento ...more
Marie (UK)
I have read The Pilgrimage by Paul Coelho ably his journey on the campano de santiago. In movement - is utterly more readable and more likely to drag you in than the Coelho book. I loved the quotes and thoughts that began and ended each chapter. Although there is a great deal of religiosity in the book it does not make it a religious tale. There was lots that made me think of my own travels on the South west coastal Path in England where solitude and oneness with nature alter your perspectives o ...more
Donna Pelletier
A story about a couples pilgrimage on The Camino de Santiago in France/Spain. I liked the book, it is well written and I like the way the narrative goes back and forth between husband & wife. I am still looking for a book that describes the actual trail and scenery in a little more detail. The books I have read about the Camino de Santiago seem to deal more so with the communal and psychological aspects of the walk.
Tina
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about courage to take steps on a new path in life - literally and figuratively speaking. I enjoyed the stories from the Camino and personal insights of the writers, but the most intriguing and encouraging part of the book for me was the part about how rewarding it could be to leave the mad illusion of a "good career" for something that seems crazy, scary and very unusual at first, but turns out to be the best and most rewarding decision ever.
Justin
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of the Camino, I just love backpacking or nature discovery books. It is always amazing to hear how breaking away from the 'normal' life changes outlooks.

This was a captivating book, capturing the stuggle of a trek, the Pilgrims' ways, and the local cultures. I highly recommend it.
Patti Wilson
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel-memoir
I've walked the Camino!

Well, vicariously, if that counts. Elaine and Joe did an amazing job of describing their walk, their emotional experiences, the connection to God, the love of the people they met along the way, and the deep suffering. They each tell their story and I felt like I walked every inch with them on this spiritual path. Loved it.
John
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It is the most realistic book about the camino

This book could have been written about my wife and my journey last year. All they did was change the name and swapped some of our traits.
Nathan Goodman
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring

It may take a little bit to get into the book, but once you get going this is an incredible inspirational story of personal growth. You will feel like you are on the trail yourself.
Transformational ...: I have a blog on Transformational Travel 1 9 Apr 19, 2014 01:28PM
Kindle Countdown 1 2 Nov 13, 2013 12:51AM
  • In Capable Arms: Living a Life Embraced by Grace
  • Stop Drifting, Start Rowing: One Woman's Search for Happiness and Meaning Alone on the Pacific
  • Why China Will Never Rule the World: Travels in the Two Chinas
  • Strangers on the Camino
  • The Longest Race: A Lifelong Runner, an Iconic Ultramarathon, and the Case for Human Endurance
  • I Promise Not to Suffer: A Fool for Love Hikes the Pacific Crest Trail
  • He Just Needs To Be Loved: A family's struggle with an adopted son's disorders and his triumph over them.
  • Pilgrimage: My Journey to a Deeper Faith in the Land Where Jesus Walked
  • Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure
  • Their Fate Is Our Fate: How Birds Foretell Threats to Our Health and Our World
  • Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino
  • Peter Freuchen's Book of the Eskimos
  • The Way, My Way
  • No Tears for My Father: A true story of incest
  • Learning to Play With a Lion's Testicles: Unexpected Gifts From the Animals of Africa
  • Jasmine and Fire: A Bittersweet Year in Beirut
  • Chicken Soup for the Traveler's Soul: Stories of Adventure, Inspiration and Insight to Celebrate the Spirit of Travel (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Strange Birth, Short Life, and Sudden Death of Justice Girl
Elaine Orabona Foster, Ph.D., ABPP, is the recipient of a Presidential Citation from the American Psychological Association (APA) for her pioneering work in psychology. She is an APA Fellow, and holds a Diplomate in Clinical Psychology.

Elaine is one of the first 10 prescribing psychologists in the United States.

She received a B.A. in psychology from New York University and obtained a full schola
“God speaks in a soft voice I can hear better when I resolve to listen and stop putting words in His mouth.” 1 likes
“Staying locked into an image of how things are supposed to be can blind us to the grace of what is.” 0 likes