Start by marking “Nurtured by Love” as Want to Read:
Nurtured by Love

Nurtured by Love

The edition is taken from the original japanese text. it provides an insight into the mind of the master.
Published July 13th 2014 by Alfred Publishing Co., Inc. (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Nurtured by Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nurtured by Love

Start your review of Nurtured by Love
Tamsyn
I have to admit that I've had an unwarrented bias against the Suzuki method growing up because a lot of my music teachers have been unimpressed when they get transfer students from this method who can't read music. The method, especially at first, relies a lot on the ear. As I have been studying different approaches to teaching music to children, curiosity got the better of me and I have done some research and have been very impressed with what I've found. I think a lot of the reason students fa ...more
Holly
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-books
This is a re-read for me. I'm trying to review my Suzuki library since I've started teaching my daughter. Since this book is translated from Japanese and is more like a collection of short essays on different subjects it reads a little choppy, but it is the first place to go to become familiar with Shinichi Suzuki and his music-teaching method. I disagree with Suzuki in that he believes that natural-born talent doesn't exist, but at the same time I embrace his idea that EVERY child can learn. I ...more
Jill
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a mere manual for parents who are thinking or have enrolled their children in Suzuki music lessons. This is a beautiful book of possibilities.

Suzuki lays out his belief that all humans are born with the ability to become noble and good people, they simply need exposure to and education in noble and good things. His aim is not to create a bunch of professional musicians, but for children to be brought up to be "splendid in mind and heart also."

This book inspired me to work hard to i
Oktawian Chojnacki
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alan-kay
The author is a very simple and kind person. His message is similarly simple. I would say this book's idea could be summarized in one sentence: "Kids are to be given an example and nurtured by love, not taught.".
Sundy DeGooyer
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Easy to read. I agreed with everything. But it is translated from Japanese so it's not a smooth read. I read the entire book in an hour at the airport. :-)
Cieran Twinbrook
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up learning both violin and piano by the Suzuki method and now being a violin teacher myself, this was an interesting read. The book is focused mostly on Suzuki talking about how he arrived at his driving philosophy. It's part autobiography and part loosely correlated short essays on the underpinnings of the philosophy behind the method, with very little detail of his teaching or methods themselves. At times a little rambling and self aggrandizing, but not more so than plenty of oth ...more
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic Suzuki read! I read this when my daughter began Suzuki piano lessons, and now that my son is learning too, I decided to give it another go. Dr. Suzuki believes that talent and virtue can be nurtured, and that nature accounts for almost nothing in a person’s life. He spoke of such beauty and joy in making music that I almost believed him 100%, but I do have to remember that he was referring to his experiences in his environment (Japan and Germany). I see differences in our country and ...more
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I read this book. I've always wanted to know more about the Suzuki method. I'd heard great things about it for years, but I've always thought that it was completely out of my range or abilities. With my limited experience and funds, I had always believed that achieving musical mastery by Suzuki method was not even a remote possibility. Now that I understand what it is all about, I wish I'd read this book years ago. It has many valuable gems in it. Suzuki's philosophy will transform ...more
Michael
Required reading from the Suzuki piano teacher.

This is part memoir, part manifesto to what Suzuki tried to impart in his students and what his method was about.

Boiled down, his method is:

1) There is no innate talent: every child is the product of their environment.
2) In this case, children should be taught music extremely early. The sooner the better.
3) The goal of teaching music is not to become great or show talent, it's to foster the inner spirit of every child and to develop good character.
Ana
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
The title fits it perfectly- it isn't just about learning violin or the Suzuki method. It is about Life, Parenting, being good human beings, learning, growing, encouraging one another... it even includes other important things like exercise, spending time outside, healthy eating, etc.
I loved that it read easily, felt genuine, gives hope and shows that we ALL have potential to unlock for ourselves and to help our children with their potential. Seemed like a good set of parents sharing what they'v
Francisco Orellana
Suzuki inspires me

Suzuki had a big idea. My children's violin teacher recommended this book to me. Mr. Suzuki's desire to bring out the best in all children impressed me. I enjoyed reading how thoughtful he was when he was approached by the parents of a blind child and later the parents of a child who had suffered a stroke and struggled to hold onto the bow. It inspired me to think about my children's music education in a broader way.
Brenda Cregor
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wept!
Shinichi Suzuki was a special soul.
This book made a better parent out of me.
Not only did Suzuki lay down his theory for
teaching music to young children, he coupled
this "science" with love. Certainly, these
are the most important experiences a parent could
ever share with their child, moments of pure
emotion coupled with the support of budding talent.
Megan Titensor
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-teaching
This new translation is far better than the older version! 10 years had passed since I first read Suzuki's life story and inspiration for his teaching philosophy. I found numerous words of wisdom and gems of quotes to live by. I have a completely refreshed perspective now and I encourage anyone to re-read this new translation.
Elizabeth Baird
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could read again and again

I never get tired of reading this book. Changes my perspective on life, and increases self-motivation every time I read it.
Stacy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Mix up a good helping of false modesty, with a dash of tall tale, a whole lot of optimism, and a dollop of insightful truth and you will turn out this strange little book.

I must disclose that I come to the table already jaded. I occasionally refer to myself as a victim of the Suzuki method. Thank you Mr. Suzuki for my horrendous and ongoing inability to sight-read much of anything. I jest (sort-of), but seriously this is a major and well-known handicap in the Suzuki method.

That being said, read
Michelle
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having come from a home where music was mostly always around and having had formal piano and violin lessons and a father who always played guitar, which I never really quite understood After my kids grew, my son moved out and left his acoustic guitar, I decided, I need to begin putting more music in my life and wondered if I could possibly learn guitar well. I have had some stumbles due to taking care of my mother, after she passed last year, I finally got back at it and some things I wanted to ...more
Alanna Truong
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been on my reading list for a long time, and I had to read it for my Suzuki Piano Course, so I finally got to it! I thoroughly enjoyed the first three quarters! The last bit made me cringe a bit with his ideals of State enforced education, though well intentioned. But definitely worth the read, and it enlarged my own philosophy on music, which was very much already heading in the same direction. To summarize: Music isn't learnt and practiced primarily to make great musicians, but rather ...more
Andrea Ortiz Boyer
I was intrigued with the book title Nurtured by Love A New Approach to Education. I read the hardback 8th edition published in 1975 with a copyright of 1969.

One of the most moving stories was of a girl who was partially paralyzed who learned to play the violin and was able to heal from her paralysis. Suzuki speaks of his vision for each child, " he will become a noble person through his violin playing." pg. 25. He sees in children the abilities of seeking the good, the true and the beautiful. An
Stephanie
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very inspiring book! Suzuki was an incredible educator with a grand vision to educate children to have noble hearts as well as becoming great musicians. "I just want to make good citizens. If a child hears good music from the day of his birth, and learns to play it himself, he develops sensitivity, discipline and endurance. He gets a beautiful heart." I am looking forward to my first class at the Suzuki Institute tomorrow!
Victoria
My son's violin teacher is teaching the Suzuki method and requires the moms to read this book. I read it over the weekend. It was not bad! He tells some experiences he had teaching some of his students and how we was able to even come up with some of his methods. It is interesting to think about how many decades it has been since he started his methods and even since this book came out! Not too bad!!
Ben Moore
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised by this book. It was assigned reading from my daughter’s flute instructor, and I expected it to be a straightforward breakdown of the Suzuki teaching method, but it’s more memoir and life-philosophy than pedagogy. Suzuki’s approach to learning and talent development is admirable, and its roots in his own life story, from war-time Japan to evening soirées with Einstein in Weimar Germany, is fascinating. Quick read but a good one.
Szymon Kulec
I rate it 3 of 5 only because I hoped for something more. This books provides a good description of the Suzuki Method, providing solid foundation for teaching/learning probably any skill you want your child to poses. The examples of some events, almost like miracles, were touching, but described in an much too positive way (fixing postures with violins, eye movement etc.).
Devin
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, music
This is more than a book on the Suzuki method and violin; this book is about life, hardship, joy, respect, empathy, and the meaning of it all. I was blown away by Suzuki's humbleness, insight, and wisdom. Not only did I find my own love for music rekindled, but, after reading this, I see the world differently. Shinichi Suzuki was an incredible man!
Mandy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book - enjoyed learning about me Suzuki, he is a true artist. I really buy into what he is teaching-kids learn best in an environment of love and that talent is something we develop. Even those who are not naturally musical can be great musicians. He also stress that the great benefit of learning is not so much the music but all the skills that come from learning music.
Dara
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
While I don’t agree with Suzukis entire view of child development, his belief in the ability of children to excel, and love for them is meaningful. His stress on repetition is both proven to be valuable by more recent behavioral science, and a little overly simplistic, but considering what resources he had at his disposal he created a truly remarkable system for educating children in music 3.5
April Tolbert
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book on educating and capturing the heart of the child through music. It was similar to the classical method with repetition and memorization until something becomes habitual. He speaks of seeking truth, beauty, and goodness, and fostering this in children. Good book.
Brooke
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-adult
Full of good insights and life lessons. Not just about the Suzuki Method, but about becoming and raising a noble person.
Dominik Riehle
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one in a German version/translation by Waltraud Suzuki. One of my all-time favourites at the local library!
Martin
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spicy tuna maki for the soul.
John Kline
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great read. Inspiring for any teacher or parent
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano
  • Starting Out with Java: Early Objects [With Access Code]
  • The Music of Black Americans: A History
  • The Portable Nietzsche
Shinichi Suzuki (鈴木 鎮一 Suzuki Shin'ichi?, 17 October 1898 – 26 January 1998) was the inventor of the international Suzuki method of music education and developed a philosophy for educating people of all ages and abilities. Considered an influential pedagogue in music education of children, he often spoke of the ability of all children to learn things well, especially in the right environment, and ...more

News & Interviews

“To make a resolution and act accordingly is to live with hope. There may be difficulties and hardships, but not disappointment or despair if you follow the path steadily. Do not hurry. This is a fundamental rule. If you hurry and collapse or tumble down, nothing is achieved. DO not rest in your efforts; this is another fundamental rule. Without stopping, without haste, carefully taking a step at a time forward will surely get you there.” 23 likes
“To deceive oneself is worse than to deceive others." These harsh words pierced me to the core.” 10 likes