Start by marking “The Christmas Candle” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Candle

The Christmas Candle

From New York Times best-selling author Max Lucado comes a timeless message that will warm your heart.

Imagine a Victorian England village in the Cotswolds where very little out of the ordinary ever happens . . . except at Christmas time.

This year, Edward Haddington, a lowly candle maker, is visited by a mysterious angel. That angel silently imparts a precious gift—a gift t
Published October 1st 2006 by WestBow Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Candle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Candle

Faith
A dear story, full of charming settings, memorable characters (honestly, who doesn't love the Haddingtons?), and a theme that spells Christmas.

I read this book after watching the movie and—quite honestly—I liked the movie better. The book had it's own perks, though, giving a bit more background to some of the characters. Emily was a more likable gal in the movie, in my opinion. xD

The story of the "magical" Christmas candle had me skeptical at first, but I ended up appreciating the heart of the
Christy
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, historical
Had I not seen the movie previously last year The Christmas Candle I might not have realized what a little gem of a story this really is. The book was a little hard to understand at times; but once again I new the story so I was still able to read it. The book also left out all the charm and the coziness of the people. If you have not seen this movie I would recommend it highly; especially to those Christian period drama enthusiasts. The movie is filled with a wonderful country village scene and ...more
Denise Spicer
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beginning in 1664 and for every 25 years thereafter an angel comes to a small village and blesses one special candle of the candlemaker’s batch. Until this year, 1864, with a new, but unbelieving, minister in town, the candle maker has a mix-up and he doesn’t know which candle is the blessed one. This lovely, inspirations story has a delightful surprise ending (actually two if you count the epilogue.) The storyline is somewhat different from the movie.
Don
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once in a rare while, a book comes along that has Christmas classic written all over it. This is such a book.

In 1664, in a small English village, the candle maker and his wife are awakened by a mysterious happening. Their home is filled with light and an apparition of some sort touches one of their candles. The following Sunday, during church services, they meet a family who have fallen on hard times. The candle maker's wife feels compelled to give the candle to the family whose lives are mirac

Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: All Ages

I have been hearing and seeing a lot about the movie that just came out based off this book. I am very eager to see it and reading this little story made me want to see it even more.

Max Lucado has been one of my favorite authors for a long time. I have read a lot of his non-fiction and a couple of his books for children. This was the first Christmas story by him that I have read.

This story was short and sweet. I know there are a lot of people t
Lisa
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this book for the Holiday Reading Challenge 2010 hosted by All About {n}. It was a really fast read, in fact I read it in about one hour. Holiday stories are suppose to be uplifting and make you feel all warm and cozy inside. The Christmas Candle definitely had the whole uplifting story about hope and faith but I don't think it was detailed enough. I like the plot and I think the idea behind the story is original, but the supporting details just weren't there. I felt like I was just getti ...more
Judy King
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ah, Book 17 in my annual Christmas Book Binge and the second that is a new Christmas classic -- at least for me.

What a lovely tale of an old, simple English village candle maker who is visited one year on Christmas eve by an angel surrounded by glorious light. Later comes the discovery that the newly-made candle indicated by the angel brings a Christmas miracle to the recipient.

Every 25 years, through three generations, the angelic visitation to the candleshop carries an accompanying miracle-b
Kathryn
I first saw the movie of this and enjoyed it, and then realised it was originally a book written by Max Lucado. It’s a sweet and very short story of belief in miracles, the transforming power of faith and how God works in ways beyond our understanding. 3.5★
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Set in 1864 England, a candle maker and his wife anticipate a miraculous visit from an angel, as it happens every 25 years on the last Sunday of advent. The importance of prayer and belief in God are highlighted in this story.
Dhanaraj Rajan
A simple feel good story for the Christmas season.
The theme: With faith we can ask anything and then there will be miracles.
But this is narrated in a fairy tale type and so it can be very appealing to all.
A simple and lovely read for the Christmas season.
Janet
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked it ok. pretty good short Christmas story.
Sara
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic afternoon read for ME. I enjoyed it and got lost in it. Short and sweet it was a wonderfully uplifting escape. Great little gem.
English
I've watched the movie a couple of times, so I decided it was time to read the book when I found the Kindle edition on sale earlier this year.
Its a sweet short Christmas story about faith and hope, a few Americanisms in the Victorian English setting, but still an enjoyable read if you've got an hour or two to spare. Might just give the movie a re-watch now as well.
Patricia
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice Christmas story. I understand that it is also a movie, and I hope to see it.
Leah
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any easy book to read with a wonderful message. Loved it
Sally Ferguson
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the mid 1800’s, the tiny town of Gladstone, England receives a heavenly visitor. That visitor leaves not only a miracle, but the gift of hope. In a new era, the tradition continues, but there are those who cannot quite believe, and among them, a young minister with a hidden past.
Max Lucado brings an engaging story that encompasses human nature, and questions of faith and the goodness of God. An old candle maker challenges the minister’s faith, “The mystery of God unsettles us all, Reverend. B
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
ISBN: 978-1-4016-8994-0
Genre: Christmas

Mindy
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The mystery of God unsettles us all, Reverend. But isn't mystery where God works? If He does only what we understand, is He God?"

As usual, Max Lucado proves that a book doesn't need to be long to inspire and teach. This book is a quick read that provides food for thought, drawing you in immediately and keeping you engaged to the end. It is a bit predictable, but its heart-warming qualities make up for that. I am looking forward to seeing this as a movie. It will have to be expanded upon to make
Ronda  Tutt
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This was a cute short christmas story. God is mysterous in many ways and when you seek him out through prayer and hold on to faith - your prayers will eventually be answered in his own timing. The book is short but gets its point across.
Wendy
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story. Makes you think about all you should be grateful for in your life. Quick story that was well worth the time.
Christina Pierce
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Good Heartwarming story. Definitely a story that will become a Christmas tradition.
Judy
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I sat down and read this book in a couple of hours. A quick, enjoyable Christmas story about what can happen when we have faith.
Arnetta
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lovely little book about the reality of miracles and the importance of having faith, faith in miracles. Great read for Christmastime or any time!
Maria ( ZITA ) Silva
Very short read, but great, I love Christmas Books. I still believe
Angel's Mum
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
More a short story; I enjoyed the message!
Aileen
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
what an inspiring book....great ending
Anne Marie
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary Lou
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a pleasant story (read in one sitting) about Christmas miracles. Yes, it's a bit schmaltzy, but that's to be expected of any warm, sentimental Christmas tale. The plot was original and not formulaic, which was refreshing. I also appreciated that it's a contemporary Christmas story that doesn't center on romance. Hallelujah! It could have been so much better, though.

Lucado and/or his editors seem to buy into what George W. Bush called the "soft bigotry of low expectations". No, no... cal
Donna
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. 1) It was a quick read. I started it after 9 tonight & finished it a little bit ago, a little before 11. 2) It was inspirational. Sometimes you need to be lifted up. 3) It was well written. In the short space this story unfolded you were able to visualize characters, follow a simple but detailed plot & become invested in the story.

It will not be hard to recommend this to anyone else.
Nancy
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, faith
This is a tale of a small village, with the belief that every twenty-five years, an angel comes to the candle maker, and touches one candle. That one candle is said to bless the lives of the recipients. The new young priest refuses to give a sermon on the miracle of the candles. The priest needs to be forgiven, and to gain faith. The people in the village learn, that each person can pray to God for blessings.

• The Christmas Wish
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Candle
  • The Christmas Shoppe
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • The Unfinished Gift
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Story
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https:/
“You weren't an accident. You weren't mass produced. You aren't an assembly-line product. You were deliberately planned, specifically gifted, and lovingly positioned on the earth by the Master Craftsman.” 540 likes
“Don’t you think God can work however he chooses?” “I believe God worked, and the rest is up to us.” 3 likes