Start by marking “The Ruins” as Want to Read:
The Ruins

The Ruins

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  25,486 Ratings  ·  2,944 Reviews
Craving an adventure to wake them from their lethargic Mexican holiday before they return home, four friends set off in search of one of their own who has travelled to the interior to investigate an archaeological dig in the Mayan ruins.
After a long journey into the jungle, the group come across a partly camouflaged trail and a captivating hillside covered with red flowers
Published August 1st 2007 by Corgi (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruins, please sign up.

Kemper
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Smith’s wrote one of my favorite crime novels with A Simple Plan that released in 1993. Thirteen years later came his second book, The Ruins which instantly became one of my favorite horror novels. I’ve got my fingers crossed that sometime later this decade he’ll write another one and maybe it’ll turn out to be the greatest sci-fi epic I’ve ever read.

The concept here is dirt simple. Idiots go somewhere they shouldn’t and bad shit happens. In this particular case four American college stud
Aaron
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Stephen King has a short story (that I believe may have been entitled "The Raft") in which four college students head out to an old rock quarry. They swim out to a raft in the middle of the lake. As the afternoon progresses, they notice what appears to be a patch of oil skimming the surface of the water. One of the students dives into the lake for a post-coital swim and is mysteriously and grotesquely devoured by the oil patch, his skin pretty much being stripped right from its bones. Now horrif ...more
Dan Schwent
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: Kemper, Trudi
Shelves: 2014, horror
Matt
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I’ve always had this conception that the horror genre, be it books or movies, are meant to be scary. So that’s how I’ve judged various entries in the field. Did this [book or movie] scare me? Mostly, the answer is no. Real life itself is so terrifying that fictional fears really don’t do anything for me. After all, no monster springing from an author’s imagination is quite so terrifying as my student debt load.

While reading Scott Smith’s The Ruins, it occurred to me that my concept of horror is
Trudi
***Please indulge me while I float this older review for a horror novel that remains near and dear to my heart. If you are looking for some genuine thrills and chills this Halloween season, this may be the book for you. Happy All Hallow's Read!

I just don't get the storm of criticism aimed at Scott Smith's second novel, The Ruins. Why do people love to hate this book? I found the story to be brutally convincing and the characters believable (if not always very likable). These are college-age kid
Campbell
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Adam
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Smith's The Ruins is one of the best horror novels I've read in some time. It would be really easy for me to rip into it. The premise is, frankly, ridiculous, and its plot is nothing but doom and gloom. So why did I love it so much? Simply because it was completely convincing, engrossing, and terrifying. I don't think I have ever found myself squirming as much while reading as I was for this book's last 20 pages or so.

I think The Ruins works as well as it does because of Smith's writing an
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Requires a decent suspension of disbelief, but it's absolutely propulsive. No one plots better than Scott Smith when it comes to events spiraling out of control, and the writing is clean and full of drive. Very well-done.
Nancyc
May 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Horace Derwent
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The power of syntax and lexico

And it's just a mindfuck, hail!

the hardcover edition received, HELLYEAH

life is ephemeral, many books in ours just can't get the chance of being read twice, but absolutely not for this book \m/
Cody | codysbookshelf
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It'd been a while since I read a book that horrified, sickened, and amazed me in equal measure; The Ruins did all those things with ease. I was shocked at just how much I loved this novel. I did not expect it to totally blow me away. The characters are mostly unlikable and infuriating, and I must admit I had trouble reading about them at first, but that's the point — being trapped in the jungle and fighting for one's life brings out the very worst in a person.

This is a brutal, agonizing read. Th
Edward Lorn
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-52-2014

Enough said.
Dirk Grobbelaar

Are you lost?

Jeepers – this novel was hard to read! Not because it was bad by any means, but because of the harrowing situation the author creates for his characters.

The Ruins features some pretty explicit descriptive imagery. I’m not sure whether I would describe it as an overly “gory” novel though. The blood and guts sequences are treated with the clinical detachment of a surgeon: that’s to say, it’s pretty bloody but isn’t all that messy. Except, of course, when it is…

What really got to me
Tom Mathews
The buzz is that this is an extremely graphic novel so I have put off reading it for several years. Now that I have read it, or listened to it actually, I'm not going to disagree with the buzz but I am going to say that this was easily one of the best horror novels I've ever read. I wouldn't change a thing about it.
Sadie Mother Horror
I'll start this review off with a quote from a fellow Goodreads buddy, Edward
"That's one of the things I loved about this book. All the characters were either assholes or idiots."

And this is the truth.

What would happen if a bunch of idiots/assholes vacationed in Cancun and stupidly went into the jungle looking for a stranger's lost brother without proper attire, supplies or even at the very BASIC LEVEL, a way to get back home?
You can read all about one author's imaginative tale of just that very
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jzhunagev
Rachel
loved it! I remember the movie but not well, so I went into the book almost fresh. Gruesome and well-written read. the characters were all kind of annoying, but I also think they were realistic. And as someone who went on a Mayan archaeological dig as part of her curriculum in college I had an extra connection to the plot, lol.
Tressa
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I am always amazed at the low ratings this book gets. I thoroughly enjoyed it and even listened to the book on CD, which made the story even more intriguing.

Four young Americans about to enter graduate school or begin new jobs back home are relaxing in Cancun, Mexico, soaking up too much sun and tequila. At their hotel they befriend a group of Greek men and a German. The German’s brother has gone missing after becoming smitten with a woman and following her to a Mayan archaeological dig in the j
Bark
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just listened to this on unabridged audio. Having seen the movie a few years ago, I was expecting it to be a decent body horror tale of survival and I wasn’t disappointed on those two counts. But I’d be lying if I said I enjoyed the book more than the movie. The movie was suspenseful and to the point and brutal and it was only 90 minutes long so there wasn’t a lot of time spent with the characters. The audio though was nearly 11+ hours long and I had to spend way too much time with these chara ...more
Well. That was weird.

I like horror as a genre. It’s weird to say this but it feels like home. I like the dark things. The nitty gritty things. The things that strip away all the luxuries and comforts of modern life and force characters to make difficult decisions. The internal struggle of survival versus our emotionally charged human minds.

This was an excellent example of that. Four friends take a summer trip to Mexico before they go off to new jobs or grad school. They meet some friends along t
Richard
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
7.5/10

Not as enjoyable as his other book, “A Simple Plan” but still an interesting read overall. Why won’t this guy write a little quicker? Two books in over a decade isn’t prolific enough for my liking, especially when they're this good!!! Do what I demand and write more!

This is a complete change in style to his other book, this is more horror of the human vs. nature type but also the horrors of being a human and the choices we have to make in certain situations. The characters are flawed and
Delroy
Aug 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This may be the worst book that I have ever read in much the same way that I feel Mission to Mars is the worst movie I have ever seen. There is plenty of crap out there, but sometimes a piece of crap manages to find itself in the shoe-shine pile and gets lots of money thrown at it and gets splashy reviews and buys out the front rack at the distribution center for the arts and you are in a hurry to get your culture on so you don't see that the polish this turd has been given barely managed to mak ...more
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the tension in this one!

**Re-read** CD S/L version: I think I picked up a lot more on the "environmental" elements in the beginning of the story this time around. :) This remains on the favorites shelf!
Badseedgirl
I always suspected plants were evil and my recent reading has proved that.

Plus this gives me something to look forward to on my trip to Mexico this year.
Joey-Joey-Jo-Jo
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who might purchase my copy
description
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

You know that old saying “timing is everything”? I have a feeling this book would have received a 5-Star rating from me rather than 4 had I not ran across a little ARC called The Troop several months ago. Upon my reading (and ranting and raving and begging every horror lover and their dog to read said ARC), a plethora of my GR friends started recommending The Ruins to me. Since I’m an idiot, I immediately forgot about it. Months later,
Sara Thompson
Apr 07, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with the good. Or the less bad. The idea of the story is interesting. Being in another country is scary and this capitalizes that idea. I wish the metaphor of language barrier and communication had been played out more fully.

My chief complaints with this book are as follows:
- The characters were cardboard cutouts of real characters. Two dimensional and stereotypical.
- The women in this novel are useless. 100% USDA uselessness. See above.
- Honestly, why didn't the Greek speak Eng
Christina
Chris Dietzel
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book in the horror genre. My problem with horror stories is often that they seem unrealistic, have characters who make dumb decisions, and have unsatisfactory endings, but this succeeded in all of those areas. After reading Simmons' 'The Terror' and then this, I found myself appreciating every aspect of what Smith did in this book and how much better he addressed my normal complaints than 'The Terror' did.
Veeral

I like watching TV-shows because (obviously) we all know that we are living in the golden age of television. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Mr. Robot, The Walking Dead, and of course Game of Thrones (to name a few), have changed the way we look at television. Gone are the days when people were waiting for the next summer blockbuster, no, they are actually waiting to see what the blue meth cook would do next. BrBa left a big hole in every fan's life when it finished. And while TWD is not always up to the
  • Incarnate
  • The Lost
  • The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1)
  • Dweller
  • Naomi's Room
  • The Cipher
  • The Amulet
  • Sparrow Rock
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • The Ritual
  • The Terror
  • Dead Sea
  • The Descent
  • Let's Go Play At The Adams'
  • Urban Gothic
  • Island
  • Hell House
  • The Unblemished
Scott Bechtel Smith is an American author and screenwriter. He has published two suspense novels, A Simple Plan and The Ruins, and adapted them for the screen.

(from wikipedia)

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Birth House
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Open City
    $12.99 $1.99
“Stacy wasn't certain; she'd never bothered to pay attention to details like that, and was always regretting it, the half knowing, which felt worse than not knowing at all, the constant sense that she had things partly right, but not right enough to make a difference.” 1 likes
“That was what they were so clearly doing here: they were waiting. And not in any suspense, either, not in any anxiety as to the outcome of their vigil. They were waiting with no apparent emotion at all, as one might sit over the course of an evening, watching a candle methodically burn itself into darkness, never less than certain of the outcome, confident that the only thing standing between now and the end of waiting was time itself.” 1 likes