Start by marking “Autumn Killing (Malin Fors, #3)” as Want to Read:
Autumn Killing (Malin Fors, #3)

Autumn Killing

(Malin Fors #3)

It is Autumn in Linköping and the heavens have opened, but not even
these biblical rains can wash away the blood of crimes past and
present.

Then the brutally-stabbed body of self-made
Internet billionaire Jerry Petersson is discovered floating facedown in
the moat surrounding his home, the imposing Skogså
Castle.

Malin Fors, the brilliant but flawed star of
the Linköping po
Published September 27th 2012 by Hodder (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Killing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Killing

Start your review of Autumn Killing (Malin Fors, #3)
Pilvi
It has started to annoy me that in every thriller the main police character has an alcohol problem or has messed up his/her personal relationships etc. Why can't the police be normal?! I do get it that it's easier to make them more interesting with all sorts of flaws, but non-problematic people can be interesting too. It just requires more writing skills from the writer...

Otherwise Mons Kallentoft was a good new acquiantance to me, and I'll very likely read more of his books if I come across the
Tried hard, read almost 50% but couldn't finnish it. Let's move on.
Ken Fredette
Finally finished Autumn Killing. Everybody gets to say something in this book. Keeping track of all the people wasn't a problem, but you wonder how Malin holds up under all the pressure.
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the previous book ended on an optimistic note (on a personal level), this book is pretty much all darkness - both for Fors personally, most of her co-workers, and the killers victims. It was painful to see Malin make such bad choices in her personal life, and I really felt for her in this book.

The mystery part is pretty strong. There were a few red herrings, and I thought that Katarina and Jerry's romance could have been developed a little more (I kept thinking that something was going to
Ancestral Gaidheal
Why did I read it? I had read the first two books in the Malin Fors series, Midwinter Sacrifice and "Summertime Death". I had enjoyed the former far more than the latter, and I had hoped "Autumn Killing" was a return to form for Mons Kallentoft.

What's it about? Jerry Petersson's body is found in the moat of Skogså Castle, his home. A self-made man, he obtained the castle from a family that had owned it for generations upon his return to his hometown of Linköping. Malin Fors struggles with the ca
Katherine
This book was at first difficult to get into. The rhythm was chaotic and the syntax kept changing making it even more so. In addition, italicized lengthy paragraphs appearing to be the thoughts of the corpse were disconcerting. Still, something drew me into the story. Maybe the unusual presentation, which I though might have to do with the fact that it was translated from the Swedish. Though it was slow going in the beginning, the story started to unfold and move more rapidly and smoothly. The c ...more
Mary
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this book and at times felt I was back at school, trying to get through reading an assigned novel, that was good but just not great, but I kept going to the end. It's a style of writing that takes a bit of getting used to. Maybe a tad high-brow for a crime/murder thriller, which is actually more police procedural. It was slow through the middle, you started to wonder if the police would ever get anywhere with it. Not Kallentofts best work, "Midwinter Sacrifice" was a much better ...more
Gloria Feit
This long and tedious novel in the Malin Fors series starts off slowly as the detective inspector continues to recoil from the near murder of her daughter in a previous installment. She can’t meet the terms of her relationship with the girl or her ex-husband, with whom has rejoined. So she begins to drink heavily, jeopardizing the love of both as well as her job. At the same time, Malin and her team of detectives are mired down in a murder case involving a rich attorney/businessman who has bough ...more
CarolineFromConcord
Maybe because I have read all the mysteries by this author, I figured out who the perp was early on. But as ever, the characters and the psychology are interesting.

Kallentoft is an unusual mystery writer in that he always shows how "evil" is created, usually from extreme childhood abuse. The technique of having the victims "talk" to detective Malin Fors after their death sort of softens the gruesomeness -- they seem still alive.

This novel starts with the murder of a very wealthy man who rose fr
Bachyboy
I wanted to like this book because generally I am a fan of Swedish crime novels. Without sounding like a psychopath, I found the murder unengaging and I struggled at times with the writing style of the author. There is so much stream of consciousness writing with a plethora of rhetorical questions and minor sentences. That coupled with a mountain of difficult Swedish names and dead bodies that get their own voice, left me wanting to hurry up and finish it.
John
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
A dark book with Malin fighting her inner demons throughout and continually failing. The murder of Jerry and investigation is interesting but Malin struggle is the real story.
Anda T.
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dear writers, please stop it with the drunk people. You are ruining everything!
Mike Cuthbert
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mons Kallentoft does in this book what he has done before: he outlines detective police superintendent Malin Fors’ life and interrupts the continuity with a murder or two that Fors must investigate. She is a dedicated officer but she is also a drunk so her job and her life often collide with life being the loser. The murder this time is of a playboy prominent in Linköping life and history, Jerry Petersson. He has been living “the Castle,” formerly owned by the family Fägelsjö, several members of ...more
Judith
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder or two in the fall, in Linkoping, Sweden. A body is found in the moat of a castle, stabbed many times. The body is that of the owner of the castle, newly acquired from a family that has held it for generations. Is that family responsible for the murder?

The victim was the lawyer for a scumbag millionaire who has escaped prosecution for years. Is there betrayal there? Anger?

These are not all of the possible motives unearthed by Malin Fors and her fellow detectives. There are layers and la
Daniel
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant! Mons is undoubtedly the best modern crime writer.

I love the way he integrates the bleak and at times relentless Swedish weather with the moods of the major characters, including the killer and the detectives, who themselves seem to be struggling with mental challenges as strong and warped as the psychopathic killer they pursue!

One thing I really love about Mons’ crime books, and this book is perhaps the strongest example of this, is he is a real story teller, a seasoned wri
Lisa
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have not read other books in this series so this was my initial intro to the character of police detective Malin Fors. The mystery is straightforward enough. Rich, self-made and ruthless upstart Jerry Peterson is found murdered in the castle he recently purchased from the Fagelsjo family. The family was forced to sell their hereditary home due to financial problems and want it back desperately, but Peterson refuses to sell. Hence the members of the Fagelsio family become the main suspects in h ...more
Pat Haber
i must admit from the top here that i am not going to finish this book, so perhaps it gets better. i find that it is dark just to be dark. Every character has some problem, and we're introduced to that right away. i felt the author confused depth of character with darkness of character, i.e., they are all either alcoholic, depressed, recently divorced, lonely, or whatever. And oh, the corpse talks to us in underlined script.
I may try another by this author as i really like the genre of ScandiLit
David Hallstrom
I very much enjoyed the first two books in the Malin Fors series, but the third installment is a rambling mess. There is a slightly interesting crime at the heart of the book that is surrounded with so much noise, multiple narrators and needless characters that I can understand why people would stop reading the book. There are moments when I wish I had.

I liked the first two enough that I will continue with the series and if the next one stinks like this, I will be done.
Travis Haugen
The story was a tad bit slow in the beginning. It took me a bit to figure out each character, and how they fit into the story. It did pick up and i rather enjoyed the mystery and how the plot unfolded.
I felt for Malin, how she relates to the dead, her drinking problems as well as her messed up family life.
Ed Terrell
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-fiction
Mons Kallentoft steps up to the plate and hits one out of the park with this fast moving Scandinavian thriller. Our heroine (if you can call her that), is Malin, a bright female detective, with a host of personal problems, not the least of which is drinking. There is a lot to keep track of and I got lost in the host of names at several points along the way but I am looking forward to try another.
Susanne
Not nearly as good as the first two in the Malin Fors series. The homicide team spends 7/8 of the novel getting nowhere so, pretty boring. Some filler about the characters personal lives. But the real drag on the narrative is endless internal dialogues by Malin about her daughter. And her drunken binges. Disappointing.
Pamela
2.5 for me - just OK. It was an interesting story and mystery, but I wasn’t a fan of the main character Malin. And I didn’t like the writing style of the “voices” that hovered over the scenes and either spoke to no one, to Malin, or to each other. I won’t read the others in the series.
Ranjana
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This book picked up a little towards the end. But not as good as his other books in this series.
Lauren Rodgers
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drags a bit but that build up the tension in the story. An overall great book
Patricia Turner
In english, too hard to get into the flow of the story
Karen
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a feeling I should have started this series at the beginning. Nevertheless, it was another great dark, Swedish crime novel.
Stella Gresham
The writing is mediocre and not thrilling at all. The plot and characters are cliche and bland.
Renata Janina
Sep 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it as hard as I tried. I found it a very slow book
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimepieces
Autumn Killing is the third book in the Malin Fors series by Mons Kallentoft. The series so far has been distinguished by excellent characterisation and a fragmented narrative style that has suited the often disturbing plots. Kallentoft has taken a brave stance with some of the themes in his books. In thrillers we normally get a resolution of sorts, but Kallentoft has deliberately kept the assault of a young woman unresolved throughout the series. Here, the case is mentioned once more but the ov ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Slowly We Die
  • Hulemannen (William Wisting, #9)
  • Closed for Winter (William Wisting, #7)
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting, #8)
  • Cell 8 (Grens & Sundkvist, #3)
  • Silenced (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #2)
  • Människa utan hund (Inspector Barbarotti #1)
  • Blindgang (William Wisting, #10)
  • The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2)
  • Trap (Reykjavik Noir Trilogy, #2)
  • The Cabin (The Cold Case Quartet #2)
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman & Alex Recht, #3)
  • Visning pågår (Emma Sköld, #3)
  • Hostage (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #4)
  • The Katharina Code: The Cold Case Quartet, Book 1
  • Fjällgraven  (Sebastian Bergman, #3)
  • Den nionde graven (Fabian Risk, #2)
  • Arton grader minus (Fabian Risk, #3)
After being awarded the Swedish equivalent to the Whitbread Award for his debut novel Pesetas, Mons Kallentoft chose to give his own unique take on the classic Scandinavian crime novel. His success was immediate. The first book in the series about superintendent Malin Fors received unanimous praise from the national critics; it also conquered the bestseller charts and has today sold more than 300, ...more

Malin Fors (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Midvinterblod
  • Summer Death (Malin Fors #2)
  • Spring Remains
  • Den femte årstiden (Malin Fors, #5)
  • Vattenänglar