Start by marking “Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)

Flowers in the Attic

(Dollanganger #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  160,605 ratings  ·  8,269 reviews
A major Lifetime movie event—the novel that captured the world's imagination and earned V.C. Andrews a fiercely devoted fanbase. Book One of the Dollanganger Family series.

At the top of the stairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent, and struggling to stay alive…

They were a perfect family, golden and carefree—until a heartbreaking tragedy shattered th
Published August 2nd 2005 by Gallery Books (first published November 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Flowers in the Attic, please sign up.
Abby M. Ganhar
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Abby M. Ganhar Well, I'd recommend at least reading Petals On The Wind after Flowers In The Attic since it picks up pretty much exactly where the end of Flowers leav…moreWell, I'd recommend at least reading Petals On The Wind after Flowers In The Attic since it picks up pretty much exactly where the end of Flowers leaves off. It also wraps up the Cory and Carrie storyline. After that you can take or leave the rest, I think. (less)

·  160,605 ratings  ·  8,269 reviews

Start your review of Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers of the premenstrual persuasion
These days, I'm always hearing people opine, "Say what you want about Harry Potter, at least it's getting kids to read." Well, you could make a very good argument that Flowers in the Attic did the same thing for a generation of pre-teen girls. When I was 12, everybody was sneaking this novel under the covers or behind their math books. I remember a girl actually got in trouble for bringing it to free reading period in English class. Seemed a little hypocritical to me, since the whole idea of a f ...more
Alex
Apr 15, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: perverts
I met a friend for drinks last night. She came up and took one glance at the back cover to this book and her eyes widened. "No," she breathed. "Seriously?" Of course she recognized it from the back. She read it around seventh grade. I read it around seventh grade. You read it around seventh grade. An entire generation has this lurking in our collective adolescence.

So that's why I re-read it. (Okay, that and I thought it was hilarious just to hold it up on the subway.) I wanted to know just how c
Maggie Stiefvater
Well, I read this, I guess.

Strange how my entire life people have told me "it's that incest book'; imagine my surprise when I found out that, no, it's that rape book.
Kate
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If loving the Flowers In The Attic series is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread on Audio! I loved the narration.

Have loved this book since I was a little kid!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Malbadeen
I read this book in grade school (maybe middle school) and I don't remember much except being in total awe that someone would write down such naughty things. I seem to remember a scene where the grandma walks in while they're having sex and they can't stop because they are so enraptured with the experience and I remember thinking damn! Sex must be awesome if it makes you lose your mind and not be able to control your senses. Note to any young person that may be reading this: sex is actually not ...more
Fabian
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No wonder this was so controversial. Time has not diminished in shock factor, I'll tell you that! It's more risque even than "The Thorn Birds"! Quintessential page-turner.

Cannot wait to continue reading about these freaks that are the Dollangangers!!
Matt
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the novel that put V.C. Andrews on the map—and set the book-reading world aflutter—this piece seeks to explore the darkest and most seedy side of familial interactions and the extend to which blood can blind when placed in front of an extreme moral code. The Dollanganger family are living a wonderful life, two loving parents and four well-behaved children—Chris, Cathy, Cory, and Carrie. When news comes that the patriarch has died in a fiery crash, changes must be made. A slew of letters go ...more
Petra-masx
What I call a Jerry type of book. Jerry Springer in the US. Jeremy Kyle in the UK. Sleazy incest stories where privacy has been exchanged for fame. The book has much more of an icky cringe factor than Jerry or Jeremy, where the salacious details are part of the entertainment of fifteen minutes of the tackiest, loudest and most violent people on tv.

I went through a Flowers in the Attic phase years ago, lots of people did, a guilty, guilty pleasure. I've gone through a Jeremy Springer one too, mo
Kristin Myrtle
I know, I know... this book is tawdry, it's tabloidy. It's the one book I secretly coveted and acquired in my tedious pre-pubescent soul-searching. I'd lay under the covers, flashlight in hand, knees up to make a psuedo-tent and I'd search... for the dirty parts. I knew there was something naughty between these pages, something to be whispered and giggled about later on with my girlfriends, something I didn't rightly understand.

I went back and read the entire Dollanganger series as an adult, and
Alex
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Forbidden

Hosted by imgur.com

Whoa, what did I just read??

Freud would have a field day with this one...

Julie
Scientists say that the reasoning part of an adolescent's brain is not fully formed until about the age of 25.

I get the impression that they have enough scientific evidence to prove this theory. But, just in case there are still any doubters out there, I would like to offer up V.C. Andrews's Flowers in the Attic as the final piece of conclusive scientific evidence.

When I was 13-years-old, I got my hands on Flowers in the Attic, and I not only read it multiple times, I read the entire series, and
James
5 stars to V.C. Andrews's Flowers in the Attic. This was one of the earliest books I remember reading as a young adult. I was captivated by the relationships which is probably from where my love of reading and writing family dramas was born.

As an avid genealogist, this books is ripe with analysis to understand all the connections between blood and non-blood relatives. It played to everything I found fascinating and the psychology of why people do the things they do.

The subject, incest at its co
Linnea
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: time wasters
I have this unfortunate penchant for ugly things; I buy ugly jewlery, I go out with slightly unatractive men, and I read books like this.

It's awful, and yet there is something about how awful it is that made me enjoy it. I have a relationship with VC Andrews that goes way back. In my junior high days these awful books were all the rage, along with body glitter and peel off nail polish. Reading this book again was like going back to a simpler time; a time when there were no bills, no laundry and
Marina

So how is perfection decided?
Is it by looks?
Is it by choices?
Is it by God's standards?
Or perhaps by the human's opinions?

Do children pay for their parents' decisions?
Why should they?
And who in this motherf*cking universe is entitled to do just that?

So here's the deal.
I'm going to start with the mother of the story.
She gets the honors because she's really something.

So let me get this straight.
You decide, after the death of your husband and your childrens'father, to
Michelle
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I watched this film as a teenager never realising until recently it was a book. I was sucked into this on the opening scenes, the attic where the paper flowers blow sucked me in and wouldn't let me out in the same way as the characters couldn't leave.

This was a really dark read for its time and using a taboo trope that raises eyebrows now i can only imagine the hype of the 70's.

I will continue this series, its very readable, the words flow and i flew through the book. While at the time this wa
Nick Pageant
Yes, I read the entire series. No, I am not ashamed. I'm not rating them because I would have to rate them low because they're awful, but I loved them anyway. Wipe that judgy look off your face right now.
Majenta
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC was published in 1979. 9 TO 5 arrived in theaters in 1980. Golly-lolly-day, discuss!
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“Children are very wise intuitively; they know who loves them most, and who only pretends.”

It would be an understatement to say that I was a fan of V.C. Andrews growing up. I was an "uber-fan." My sister had these books on her bed when I was in the fourth grade, and I was fascinated by the covers, the way they opened to reveal these morbid looking family photos inside the cover, and of course I loved the movie made in 80s. Now I know the movie is horrid, although the score from Christopher Young
Kristen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one
I really hate this book. I also hate "Petals on The Wind", "If There Be Thorns" and "Seeds of Yesterday". I say this having just re-read each of the above 17 years after I first read them (they were heady stuff to a 12 year old), and I was appalled at the predictability of the plot, the characters, the obsession Virgina Andrews appeared to harbour for incestuous relationships.
I hate the fact that characters are so stereotypically physically stunning, but must shoulder a terrible tragic burden. I
a.novel.femme
Feb 18, 2008 rated it liked it
admit it: everyone goes through a v.c. andrews phase, devouring every word of her ghost-written books and all the anguished incest-y desires that jump off the page in horridly written prose. if jerry springer and tyra banks ever had a lovechild and turned it into text, v.c. andrews books would be it.

that being said, i did enjoy the hell out of this book when i first read it, simply because it was so tawdry. im beginning to wonder when and if the hipsters will bring her back, and then it can be
Mauoijenn
What can I say... *** (SPOILERS) ***
1. Scared the crap out of me.
2. I probably will never eat anything with powdered sugar on it again.
3. Incest is the best, or so they say.
4. I couldn't put it down!!!!!!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I’m going to take a lesson out of my pal Nick’s playbook here and not rate this selection. What he says is 100% accurate – this series is terrible, but I love it anyway. I actually decided to revisit my youth last week after seeing both NZLisaM and Bark reading it while I waited with bated breath for either an early copy approval or the release date for another controversial story - My Dark Vanessa. (Spoiler Alert: I was finally offici
Rebecca McNutt
I've been reluctant to read Flowers in the Attic for a long time. I've read a number of other V.C. Andrews books, but Flowers in the Attic is one which I could never quite bring myself to be interested in. For personal reasons, I was disturbed by the infamous incest subplot that the book has, and the story always sounded very odd to me. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the bizarre, gothic psychological drama of Flowers in the Attic, as well as Andrews' often quite beautiful prose.

Flowers in the Attic,
Christy
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, not able to do a full review at the moment...
Photobucket

I finished this book last night, and I can't get it out of my head. I know I want to read the second book, but I need a little time first.
There were some terrible things going on, but then around 90% I kinda lost it (view spoiler)
Photobucket

Now to the gr
NZLisaM
‘We lived in the attic, Christopher, Cory, Carrie, and me.’

The tragic death of her husband leaves Corinne penniless, unable to support her four children. At the tender age of eighteen, she was disowned by her wealthy parents for her sins, but a desperate letter to her mother, begging to be allowed to return to her childhood home, sees the five of them travelling to the sprawling estate – Foxworth Hall – in rural Virginia.

Corinne tells her children, Chris (14), Cathy (12), Cory and C
Rachel Aranda
This book has stunted me emotionally; it was a much deeper than I expected it to be! I literally want to hold all the Dollanganger children and never let them go. Honestly, there are no words to describe what they had to endure so any apology or sympathetic words I could offer would do them no good. I normally don't cuss but man do I feel like letting loose on Corinne Foxworth and her mother! If there was ever such a wonderful man who existed it had to be Daddy Dollanganger; he's the epitome of ...more
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
This creepfest was absolutely rivetting.

I don't know how I missed reading this when I was younger, but wowser, thanks to the MacHalo Crew for putting it on my radar for taboo month!

All the adults in this need to die in a fiery pit of doom. Self centered, pretentious and pious to a fault I want them all to die, die, die!

This story is immensely readable, whilst being heartbreaking and horrible at the same time. Some of the things that happen in that attic.... Eeeep!

My stomach was actually upset
Chantal
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-nl, ebook-en
It took me a while to finish this book. This book is not for the fainted hearted. I had to wait until I was in the right place to read this. I had read this book about 25 years back when I still was a teenager and I really wanted to know if I would remember it. I didn't remember it, but I loved reading it. When I got sucked in it, I couldn't put it down. I got all kinds of emotions from this book. This is a story so twisted and dark, but you want to know the end. There for 5 points.

BAM The Bibliomaniac
Audiobook #190

Hands up! Who did not own this in the 80s?
DDD Page Flippers: June Meeting 1 5 Jun 03, 2020 11:57AM
Creepy Book Club: PART 1: "To Make a Garden Grow" - "The Long Winter & Spring & Summer" 7 15 May 27, 2020 02:44PM
Creepy Book Club: PART 1: "Prologue" - "Minutes Like Hours" 7 19 May 19, 2020 06:38AM
DDD Page Flippers: Next Book! 1 2 May 17, 2020 06:50PM
Stephen King Fans: Flowers in the Attic 47 142 Apr 19, 2020 06:04AM
Club de Lectura d...: Primer Libro 2020 3 9 Dec 11, 2019 11:12AM

• The Amityville Horror
  • Carrie
  • Misery
  • Jaws (Jaws #1)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
  • The Green Mile: The Screenplay
  • Misery
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel
  • Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
  • Go Ask Alice
  • A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1)
  • The Exorcist
  • The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Second Chance
  • The Shining
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man who

Dollanganger (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2)
  • If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3)
  • Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4)
  • Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)
  • Christopher's Diary: Secrets of Foxworth (Dollanganger #6)
  • Christopher's Diary: Echoes of Dollanganger (Dollanganger #7)
  • Secret Brother (Dollanganger #8)
  • Beneath the Attic (Dollanganger, #9)
  • Out of the Attic
  • Shadows of Foxworth (Dollanganger, #11)

Articles featuring this book

Mexican Gothic begins when happily ever after turns into a nightmare. The story unfolds with the Taboada family receiving a mysterious letter from...
“Love doesn't always come when you want it to. Sometimes it just happens, despite your will.” 241 likes
“I wish the night would end,
I wish the day'd begin,
I wish it would rain or snow,
or the wind would blow,
or the grass would grow,
I wish I had yesterday,
I wish there were games to play...”
193 likes