Start by marking “The Fortune Cafe (A Tangerine Street Romance, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fortune Cafe (A Tangerine Street Romance, #1)

The Fortune Cafe

(A Tangerine Street Romance #1)

Welcome to Tangerine Street

Tangerine Street is a must-see tourist stop with a colorful mix of one-of-a-kind boutiques, unique restaurants, eclectic museums, quaint bookstores, and exclusive bed-and-breakfasts. The Fortune Café, situated in the middle of this charming collection of shops and cafés on Tangerine Street, is a Chinese restaurant unlike any other bec
Published March 17th 2014 by Mirror Press (first published March 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Fortune Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortune Cafe

Start your review of The Fortune Cafe (A Tangerine Street Romance, #1)
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I'd recommend only reading 1st story
I had a discussion with Jacob about this title that had me keen enough to read it. Did each author write a short story or did they work on them together? I don't know if I have much to add to Jacob's conclusions but anyway....

.•**•.♪.•**•.♥.•**•.

MIS-FORTUNE

As Jacob also said, by far the strongest story. The idea was a brilliant one, all the characters, including the staff at The Fortune Cafe, were well realised. I think this could have been an excellent novel, but short story format, the end/>
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle freebie, Oct. 10, 2017, for clean contemporary romance fans, three interrelated novellas by three authors, with a touch of fantasy: fortune cookies with individualized, true fortunes.

I was on the fence about whether to download this or not (my Kindle account seriously needs some dejunking) until I noticed that one of the three authors is Melanie Jacobson, who writes funny, delightful, articulate contemporary romances. Sold!
Jacob Proffitt
Unlike most short story collaborations with multiple authors, I couldn't find any attribution on a per-story basis. Even the copyright notice is an aggregate one instead of broken out for each author. It's an odd choice because most authors want clear attribution, both to attach fans and to prompt follow-on purchases. This is significant in this case because one of these stories is good enough I'd be interested in more and the other two are merely serviceable.

The first, Mis-Fortune is by far th
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I just read this collection again and I think I enjoyed it even more the second time! Sweet, fun stories set in a small beach town with a common thread of the characters receiving a "special" fortune from their fortune cookie at The Fortune Cafe- known for custom fortunes that really come true.
Jessie
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Fortune Cafe includes three novellas, all set in the same town in coastal California. The stories all integrate the Fortune Cafe where the fortunes received in the fortune cookies all come true (but only on your first time).
The first story is about a waitress, Emma, who works at the Fortune Cafe. She has avoided the cookie's on principle, despite her boss' attempts to get her to open one. Then one night she serves an old friend from high school on a date. When Harrison can't seem to take hi
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really enjoyed this anthology, it was cute! I liked how all three stories are kind of interrelated, the characters are all connected through the Fortune Café, where your first fortune cookie will always come true.

Mis-Fortune
Emma works as a waitress part-time at the Fortune Café, in her spare time she has her own website and is launching her first comic book. She doesn't really believe the whole fortune myth and has avoided opening any fortunes while she's worked at the café. One night she is reunited
Tiffany
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, lds-fiction
Read my full review at: Thebestbookontheblock.blogspot.com
What happens when you put an awesome premise together with three amazing authors? You get an incredible little book named the The Fortune Cafe! It's no secret that I love Melanie Jacobsen... Pretty much anything that has this ladies name on it is gold to me. Julie Wright is another one of my favorites, but combine those to with Heather Moore and you have one serious writing powerhouse! I fully recommend it!
Christina
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun section of books!

I loved how this book took a specific place and created three different stories from three different authors, all intertwined. They each build off each other, ending in three completely unique romances. I enjoyed all of them :)
Melanie
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!! This novel contains three novellas written by three different authors and The Fortune Cafe is the link between them. When you get a fortune cookie there, the fortunes magically come true. Cai, the owner of The Fortune Cafe, believes that the first fortune carries the magic and is the most important.

Each story is unique yet they all blend together nicely. It was easy to figure out where the stories were headed but they were still lots of fun to read. I enjoyed reading abo
Heather
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: romance, series
This book was a blast to write. I teamed up with contemporary romance writers, Melanie Jacobson and Julie Wright to create a fresh approach to romance. As a 3-part novel, you read about three woman who all get fortunes from The Fortune Cafe... these fortunes all come true, and of course they are all about love.
Kathy
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So cute!

Review to come.

Content: The 2nd story has 3 mild expletives but otherwise clean.
Melanie Jacobson
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's out! It's out! The Fortune Cafe is here and it will have you dreaming of beaches and summer. Get it on your e-reader and enjoy a mini-vacation, friends. It's fun!
Critterbee❇
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, contemporary, romance, f
The Fortune Cafe (A Tangerine Street Romance, #1) consists of three contemporary romance novellas by three authors who were new to me. They all are inter-connected through a magical restaurant/cafe where the fortunes seem to come true.
The premise is interesting, but the execution of the stories was not to my taste. The stories seemed a little disjointed to me, and I did not enjoy them very much.
Lisa Paskins
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Fortune Café
A Tangerine Street Romance
A Novel in three parts by Julie Wright, Melanie Jacobson and
Heather B. Moore

Part One; MisFortune
Reclusive Emma Armstrong has waitressed for four years at The Fortune Café avoiding the magical fortune cookies until in an effort to stop a food fight one is launched at her head and it cracks open. Denying the fortune, “look around, love is trying to catch you”, does Emma no good as she is pursued by Harrison, a friend from he
Mela
I always tell a short story (a novella) isn't just a shortened novel. Writing a short story isn't easy. Unfortunately, Julie Wright, Melanie Jacobson and Heather B. Moore seem to need a lesson. I recommend them to read e.g. Waking Kate, Sleep it Off Lady: Stories by Jean Rhys, Aurelia's Unfortunate Young Man, The Human Ambit, Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm, Pistols For Two.

The ideas they had for the plots were quite nice, worse with realization.

'Mis-Fortune' was the best of them. It was almost 3 stars. A sweet love story w/>The
Katie W
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have a love-hate relationships with these types of books--I enjoy every minute of them and love each story, but I hate that they come to an end. I can't choose a favorite either! Bringing together three fabulous authors, who each write a fantastic story that stands all on its own, yet has some common threads to the other stories in the book is a fabulous concept!

The Fortune Cafe is a Chinese restaurant in a beach town in CA where the first fortune read comes true. In the first story, Mis-Fort
Rachelle
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here is a terrific new book with three authors that I love--seriously, you can't go wrong when you read anything by Julie Wright, Melanie Jacobson, or Heather Moore!

This book was a quick read because it's like three short stories blended into one book. Each story stands on its own but is loosely connected by The Fortune Cafe' where the fortune cookies have a bit of magic because the fortunes all come true!

Mis-Fortune by Julie Wright features Emma, and her great voice and
Charissa
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, anthologies
This is the first book of its kind that I’ve read...a novel written in three parts by three different authors. How cool is that? I didn’t know what to expect, but just like the characters in this book have their fortunes turn after breaking open a fortune cookie from the Fortune Cafe, I feel that my fortune changed for the better from reading this. It was like breaking open my very own magical fortune cookie and seeing dreams come true. Fun, fun, fun. I highly recommend this little gem and give ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
**4.5**

This book contains three stories that all have a Chinese Restaurant, The Fortune Cafe, in common. The fortune cookies are magic. The first cookie that you crack gives you a TRUE fortune.

I loved each and every one of the stories. My only complaint is that they were short! I think that every story could have (or should have) had a full length novel about them. The stories are related by the cafe and the main character in each story was mentioned in the story before i
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book that just makes me happy. It's light, romantic reading that can take you away for awhile. In this book I got a three for one deal. :)

I liked that the stories sort of had a cross over connection with the Fortune Cafe and we see the characters from the other stories in each one, if only briefly. Each story had it's own feel because obviously there are different people writing them, but they were still connected. This book also made me hungry. All that talk of y
Erin Reed
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved how these stories tied together, it was a fantastic glimpse into the lives of three wonderfully complex characters, and the ones that love them. I struggle sometimes with novellas, because I like having a full story. But these were long enough that you got a full story in one book. I also loved guessing what the next story was going to be about just from the little clue they gave you in the first and second book. It was great and I recommend this to everyone!
Valerie Waters
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Huh. Not sure what to rate this one. I loved part 1. I wish it could be a full length novel. But I was glad it wasn't a novella. Part 2 surprised me. There was some swearing and I felt like it walked the line of inappropriate in some parts. I liked how it ended. I wish part 3 was also a full length novel because it moved a little fast for me. "In love" after meeting like 2 times?!?! Nope. You don't know the person yet.
Kathy Jo
It's so hard to rate a book with 3 short stories. I LOVED part 1 and 3 and wished they were full length novels! Part 2 kinda dragged and got on my nerves. Maybe because I have an ex-fiance and I looked at it as a blessing in disguise. Go out and enjoy life! It's too short to not live it to the fullest! :)
Lucy McConnell
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Though each story is individual and different, they all have a connection to the fortune cookies that have an uncanny way of matching up with the person who reads it. Whether it's fate, a self-fulfilling prophesy, or just getting a shot of courage, the cookies seem to have enough magic to reveal love.
If you'd like a wonderful, light-hearted read then this is the book for you.
Nari
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was 3 novellas that had a link to each other because each romance start with a fortune from a fortune cookie from the same Chinese restaurant. They were sweet and clean romances. I enjoyed reading them one at a time and not having to stay up all night doing it. I enjoyed this book and look forward to more from these authors.
Rachael Anderson
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVED these! So darling--the best $5 I've spent in a while. Each story was filled humor, touching scenes, sigh-worthy romance, and wonderful characters. This is my kind of read, and I'm really looking forward to the next one.
Ipshita
MIS-FORTUNE: ★★★★

LOVE, NOT LUCK: ★★★★★

TAKEOUT: ★★★★
Chrissy
So cute. Just clean, fluffy romance! Three short stories but all related. My favorite was the first one but the others were cute too.
NaDell
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Very fun and imaginative and clean and fresh and I wanted it to keep on going. The trio of authors for this book did a great job.
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, for-review, favorite
4.5!!

description

"The Fortune Café, situated in the middle of this charming collection of shops and cafés on Tangerine Street, is a Chinese restaurant unlike any other because, well, to be honest, the fortunes found in the cookies all come true…"

I'm still smiling right now as I write my review. This is such a 'feel-good' book. Just what I'm looking for.

To be honest, I didn'tclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
"The
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nook books: December 29, 2017 1 1 Dec 29, 2017 07:45PM

• Perfect Set
  • Adventurous Proposal
  • The List
  • There’s Always a Catch (Christmas Key, #1)
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Summer Wedding Collection
  • Summer at Sea (Summer #1)
  • Always Will
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: All Regency Collection
  • Down on Her Luck
  • Where I Belong (Pine Valley, #2)
  • Gut Feeling
  • The Secrets of Ivy Garden
  • Summer House Party
  • Finding Jack (A Fairy Tale Flip Book 1)
  • The Future Widows' Club (Bless Her Heart, #1)
  • Wedding Belles: A Novel in Four Parts
  • Last Chance Motel (Last Chance Romance #1)
  • Can't Stand the Heat (Corporate Chaos #2)
Julie Wright wrote her first book when she was fifteen. She's written over twenty novels since then. She is represented by Sara Crowe. She is a Whitney Awards winner for best romance with her book Cross My Heart and a Crown Heart recipient for the novel The Fortune Café.

She has one husband, three kids, one dog, and a varying amount of fish, frogs, and salamanders (depending on attritio

A Tangerine Street Romance (4 books)
  • The Boardwalk Antiques Shop (Tangerine Street #2)
  • The Mariposa Hotel (A Tangerine Street Romance, #3)
  • Delilah's Desserts (A Tangerine Romance, #4)