Start by marking “Muskrat Will Be Swimming” as Want to Read:
Muskrat Will Be Swimming

Muskrat Will Be Swimming

A heart-warming tale of the lesson a girl learns from a Seneca creation story told to her by her grandfather--a lesson of knowing who you are and staying strong in the face of hurtful criticism. Elegantly illustrated, Muskrat Will Be Swimming is a treasure for all who have dealt with the fear of being different.

Full color.
Published April 1st 2006 by Tilbury House Publishers (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Muskrat Will Be Swimming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muskrat Will Be Swimming

Start your review of Muskrat Will Be Swimming
Lisa Vegan
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who love nature, & stories; kids who feel unlike their peers; for grandparents-grandchildren
The cover illustration immediately drew me in. And then I dove in as deep as deep can be. I was near tears throughout my read of this book; in this way it reminds me of books by Patricia Polacco.

This story about a young Native American girl who feels badly because kids at school call her a lake rat because of who she is and where she lives is a terrific story for and about kids who feel bullied or who bully, kids who feel different, kids who are poor, anyone looking for a stellar
Carolynne
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian, picture-books
Beautiful, culturally sensitive, illustrations bring to life this gentle story of a part Indian, part French (French Canadian, I suspect) girl who is bullied for being different. When she is called a "Lake Rat" by her classmates, Grampa tells her the Creation story of Muskrat, who bravely brought up a pawful of earth from beneath the lake and put it on Turtle's back to give Skywoman, fallen from the heavens, a place to stand. When Jeannie herself leaps into the lake to try to duplicate Muskrat's ...more
Rosalie Beyer-Krohn
A young girl of French and Native American descent is called a “lake rat” by her classmates because she lives in a poor lakeside community. Her grandfather helps her take pride not only in this name, but in her identity as well through sharing an old folktale in which the muskrat plays a crucial role in the creation of land.

Reading Level: R

Genre: Traditional Literature/ Contemporary Realistic Fiction. Overall, I would describe this book as contemporary realistic fiction since the plot and
Alia
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great picture book. So old school. I love it.
Evelyn Chen
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: native-american
APA Citation:
Savageau, Cheryl,Hynes, Robert. (1996) Muskrat will be swimming /Flagstaff, AZ : Northland Pub.,

Reading Interest/Level: Grades 2-4

Summary:
It's a delightful story of a young girl, Jeannie, who is hurt by classmates calling her a "lake rat." Her grampa reminds her of the tale of the muskrat, a strong water mammal that "brought earth up from the bottom of the water." Grampa's guidance reminds Jeannie of who she is and helps her reinterpret the name of a "lake rat."

Reflection:
Both
Elizabeth
This story of loving who you are while encountering insults from peers will likely resonate with many children. I really appreciated that the protagonist told us about (and showed us) her world and how much she loved it from the beginning -- so that we come to know it through her eyes.

The grandfather's point that "when they want to make you feel bad, they compare you to an animal. [...] We know the animals are our relatives. We can learn a lot from them," feels very Native American to me, but I
Pamela (Lavish Bookshelf)
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Set along a forgotten lake shore, Muskrat Will Be Swimming is the story of a young girl teased because she is a “lake rat.” Her grandfather comes to her rescue by helping her develop pride in her Native American culture. Grandfather weaves the young girl’s story into a traditional Native American story focusing on the muskrat. The "Teachers Take Note" webpage on the publisher's website include Native American animal tales art activities as well as internet links to tolerance websites.

I received
Jen
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book about Jeannie who is teased at school and called a Lake Rat because she lives in a poorer neighborhood by the lake. She tells of all the neat things she sees by the lake and how she experiences things others don't get to because of where she lives, so that while she may be poor, she's rich in other ways.
Diego Garcia
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a young Native American girl that is struggling with being different at school. Her grandfather helps her deal with issue by telling her an origin story. This book is very heart-warming and the illustrations are well done.
Ashley
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-for-fun
I absolutely love this. Wish I'd had it as a child!
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
A really nice example of how folklore continues to help us shape our lives and our understanding of our place in the world around us.
Bltjr