Start by marking “Unexpected Mate (Holland Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Mate (Holland Brothers, #1)

Unexpected Mate

(Holland Brothers #1)

Brian Townsend was having one hell of a week. Rejected by his parents, kicked out of his pack and now his car breaks down on his way south. What else could go wrong? He soon finds out when the police rock up, and the sexy cop turns out to be his mate. What he didn’t expect was his mate to walk away from him, without so much as a backward glance.

Marcus Holland was having on
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 124 pages
Published August 1st 2013 by Mischief Corner Books (first published January 29th 2011)

A Girl Has No Name
With an Unexptected Mate I gave the shifter genre another chance. I really want to find a shifter story I really like, but so far I just wasn't successful. I might keep chosing the wrong books, but I was really looking forward to this one. The blurb sounded interesting and a lot of my GR friends rated the book with around 4 stars.

Heller
I was curious about this series. (view spoiler)

This is about shifters with instalove mating instinct. Little to no angst here and lots of screwing. It's all in the spin, I guess. These are set in Australia but I don't really get a feel for it being there, it wasn't overly distinctive for me. It could have been
Karel
Mar 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nomance
This is the book for you if you want to read the mean of every wolf shifter MM novel out there, and you want to read it with a x8 speed multiplier on.

The story goes like this:

Straight wolf meets bent wolf and assorted boner situations but NO I AM NOT GAY NEVER NEVER NEVER. Stomp stomp stomp stomp later, an epiphany happens and oh my what's this? I'm gay after all! Meet up, sex sex sex sex sex. (It was great sex so I love you now.) Meet family, sex sex sex sex sex (oops, 2D villain roadblock) som
Ami
Reading the concept of mate in werewolves story can be personally tricky. It's very common that this concept ends up in instant-love, quick claiming, possessive Alphas .. and forgot the idea of courting. Finding that one story with just the right balance of courting, romance, while still carry the concept of mate is not easy. For me, at least.

I'm gambling with this one since Ms. Griffin is a new author. Unfortunately, this first story of her series of four gay werewolf brothers came out short a
Jimmy Hanson
Mar 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, m-m, shifter
This novel was a study in cliches:

1] exhile & beating b/c of being gay
11] mate falls into insta-lust and insta-love, t
Susan
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, shifters

Holy cows, this was terrible! And I loved it anyway.

This has all the cliches. A young guy thrown out by his pack for being gay, a possessive mate (formerly straight), corny sex scenes and lots and lots of over the top fluffiness.

And it was just what I needed!
I knew what I was getting into when I started this book. I was craving for something cheesy, something so low angst it was ridiculous. And I loved it!

description

I have to admit, the writing in the first half was not as bad as I expected. There
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

Though it doesn't offer anything new to the shifter genre, and was in fact totally predictable, and even though Brian could have been a woman for all the masculine qualities he was given (hint: a penis is pretty much the only masculine quality he has), I still enjoyed it.

Sometimes predictable is good. It's comforting in it's own way. This was just what I needed, right when I needed it and by the time I finished listening I was smiling.

Bottom line? I enjoyed it enough to want to pick up the seco
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.7 Stars

This was a lot better than I thought it would be; it hasn't been on my TBR for long but the whole series has been on my radar for a while...not sure why I waited so long to get to it!

I am a sucker for the GFY theme and I really liked that after the initial freak-out Marcus seemed to adapt well, taking the change in stride. Being the only "straight" brother, and having all of his mom's hopes for grandkids pinned on him, I can see why it would upset him more than just having to reconsider
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Pretty much every trope ever found in an m/m paranormal was in this one...except the baby, well since Marcus calls Brian that, maybe there even was a baby!
(view spoiler)
Cait S
Jan 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I have ever read, possibly one of the worst books ever written, and I feel so very honored to tell you why. Buckle in, kids, it's an extensive list.

1) This author does not understand how werewolves work. For ripping off nearly every werewolf cliche in the world, one would expect she would grasp a basic understanding of...well, anything about them at all. Please see subsets for examples of Did This Book Even See An Editor?
A. Wolves do not have cubs. They have pups.
Ter
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this new book by a new author.
Yes it is a insta-love, but sometimes you're in the mood for one of them.
I have to agree with some others about the use to the word "baby", it really is kinda soon. Not that I mind the use of that endearment, it was just a little soon, but after that, it's a sweet, easy story.
The writing style was easier for me to handle than some others (some have their characters more barbaric, which can be annoying)

Over all it's a good start to a new series, and can't w
Trisha Harrington
Well, this wasn't what I had been expecting. The blurb is a bit misleading because I thought there would be a huge issue with Marcus' parents. There wasn't. No, the only person who had an issue with the gay thing was Marcus. And the ex, Stacey. But that was to be expected.

Brian and Marcus ended up becoming a really nice couple. Not my favorite by any means, but they were really nice together and I did like watching them come together. It didn't feel as forced as it could have been. Actually, I
Absynthe
This book has no original concepts whatsoever. The whole thing reads like excerpts from any one of half a dozen Stormy Glenn books. The characters aren't fully fleshed out, events happen too rapidly to be even remotely realistic and the conflict in the book is almost negligible.

But the biggest problem is that there's simply nothing original here. Every single idea and concept has already been done elsewhere by other authors.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Pretty good I liked it
Serena Yates
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
The unexpected can hit people hard, and the more determined they were to do one thing, or to expect a certain outcome, the more shocked they will be when Fate decides something else is going to happen. Both men in this story have to face the unexpected, yet their reactions are completely different.

Brian is confronted with massive rejection. First his parents kick him out because he is gay, which he wouldn’t have thought possible. Then his pack banishes him and runs him off their land without so
Beck
Review after second reading...

Despite my disdain, I'm reading the series again because I have been assured that book 4 Forbidden Mate is awesome ... to clarify, the following review still stands unfortunately with a little addendum ... Australia. Uses. The. Metric. System. ... if you want the book to read like an American book, then set the book in America ... otherwise OWN the differences between America & Australia & keep the yanks hopping with the odd Drop Bear tossed into the mix for
Rellik
Oct 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
I ended up skimming most of this book. The storyline was bland, but if you're being generous, then I guess there's the conflict for the place as Marcus' mate to spice things up.

As for the writing itself, the conversation had an awkward flow. They were made even more unnatural by the frequency in which the characters talked via speech. Apart from brief details of characters' appearances, there were no real description of anything nor actions, so at times it was rather choppy.

Use of endearment can
Nic
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This was pure escapism! I don't read a lot of shifter romance but was really looking forward to this series. I wanted nice, easy reading and that was exactly what I got.

Marcus is one of the Holland brothers. Of the four, there are three gay brothers (what are the chances?) and Marcus who is the odd one out. That is until he meets Brian, his mate.
"Why couldn't this man belong to one of his gay brothers? Hell, why couldn't this man be a women?"

What follows is a cute story as Marcus turns away from
Don Bradshaw
This was a pretty good shifter story. Brian Townsend lost everything from his job to his pack when he came out to his family. With only a change of clothes and some cash he jumps into his truck and just starts driving. A flat tire leaves him stranded on the side of the road where Inspector Marcus Holland stops to tell Brian to move on. Brian knows instantly that Marcus is his mate but Marcus denies it claiming to be straight. Having lost everything else, can Brian survive without his mate? The ...more
Monique
3.5 stars.

I love shifter m/m stories!

And for a short read, the author did a pretty good job with world building which is normally lacking in shorter length novels.

I would have liked Marcus to grovel a bit more but he was incredibly sweet and regretted his actions when he first met Brian. I also would have liked if there was a bit more about Brian's parents or if we got to see the scene between Brian, his parents, and their pack Alpha.

This book definitely gave me the feeeeeeels!

I cannot wait to
Lelyana

Too fluffy even for my taste of fluffiness.
Brian is too demanding and all snuggled to Marcus, and Marcus who's suddenly became gay (I need some more struggling with sexual identity details). Though I didn't mind of love at first sight, instant claiming, and all, it's werewolf word after all. You should put your common sense aside before reading.

And all that "I love you" and "I love you, too" is kinda too much.
But it was a fun read, though I have to flushed some sugar in my blood after this.
It w
Leaundra
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I loved Marcus and Brian together. I didn't mind one bit that they fell fast and hard. Sometimes I like that it comes in the beginning and I don't have to wait until the last chapter for them to be loving. Enjoyed this first one and I'm about to go read the second in the series!!
Enny
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did Joyee Flynn start writing books under another pen name? I'm so sick of those "I'm not gay - You're my mate - Let's fuck" insta-love stories. I bought this as it was published by Silverpublishing despite the familiar sounding blurb as their stories usually are pretty good but this one unfortunately isn't.
Caroline Brand
Story 4 Stars
Narration 2 Stars

REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

The first book in the Holland Series introduces us to Marcus Holland. He is the only straight brother in a family of four sons and all expectations of grandchildren have been firmly dropped at his feet. This is one of the main issues at the start of the story but the one with the biggest problem with it seems to be Marcus himself.

Brian Townsend just assumed his parents would always love him and they did until he told them he was gay.
Tam
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, canine-shifters
I may have found my new Doritos read but with better editing. These books revolved around the 4 Holland brothers who are werewolves. The first book focuses on Marcus, the second oldest and local police officer. These books take place in Australia but there wasn't a lot of Australian references, at least not that jumped up and smack me. Brian's family kicked him out of the pack for being gay and his truck breaks down near a small town. When the police stop Brian knows immediately he's his mate an ...more
Nerine Petros
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Unexpected Mate is the first in a new werewolf shifting series from Toni Griffin. Set amongst smaller towns in what appeared to me to be a more rural backdrop gives it a special charm. I also enjoyed how Tori writes the brothers all living together yet separate from Mum and Dad. This gives another layer to the story that is almost a bit "boys gone wild", yet creates a wonderful sense of pack and camaraderie.

Marcus is a wolf determined not to be gay, so therefore he mustn't be. Dating female memb
Jaime
So I have read the entire series. Overall, this is a 2.5 -3 star series IMO; The books get repetitive with the same plot slight changes over..and over; So why did I keep going? Well two reasons..one to see if they would get better because others rated this series so well; and second because it like that need to finish something even if it's not the most pleasant thing.

I was all together let down by this series, it has so much potential and I feel awful saying that....but I spent $$ on these boo
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I kind of liked this one. It's pure fluff, though, but the story is enjoyable.

I liked both Brian and Marcus. Marcus is a bit of a douche bag in the beginning which hurts Brian. Brian is pretty broken because he's been cast out by his family. The two certainly make quite a pair but their story was sweet and cute.

As I said, the story is pure fluff so there is a lot of "baby/babe" and "I love you" which made the story a bit mushy. Also, for those who don't like that sort of thing, this is insta-lo
Teresa
Nice shifter novel, typical "alpha" with smaller wolf taking on the stereo typical female gender role. It took a bit for this straight wolf to come around, and there was no insta-love, but they got there fairly fast with a little ex and family drama thrown in. Sex was hot and frequent though not quite pwp.

However, it is a light hearted read, once you get past the initial angst, that leaves you happy.

Side note: It is set in Australia but other than one specific reference and a few odd word choi
Usagi Tsukino
I was so interested in this book but after reading it, it left me disappointed. :( All too fast and no "courting" at all -I mean, Marcus at first refused Brian as his mate 'cause he denied to be gay himself, and then after a brief talk with his brothers he was all "my mate" here and there, sprouting flowers all around him (lol). And another thing that got on my nerves was all the "baby" put in almost every phrases! I'm okay for a "sweetheart", "honey", "babe", etc. here and there, but every two ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Luke's Surprise (Shifters' Haven, #1)
  • Mark's Not Gay (Brac Pack #11)
  • Full Moon Mating (Wolf Creek Pack #1)
  • Blood of a Leo (Solomon's Pride #1)
  • From Pack to Pride (Supernatural Mates #1)
  • Leap of Faith (Moonlight Breed #1)
  • Just Like Cats and Dogs
  • Saving Ciaran (Outcasts, #1)
  • Chance's Vindication (Lost Shifters #13)
  • With Abandon (With or Without, #3)
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club #1)
Toni Griffin lives in Darwin, the smallest of Australia’s capital cities. Born and raised in the state she’s a Territorian through and through. Growing up Toni hated English with a passion (as her editors can probably attest to) and found her strength lies with numbers.
Now, though, she loves escaping to the worlds she creates and hopes to continue to do so for many years to come. She’s a single m

Holland Brothers (6 books)
  • Determined Mate (Holland Brothers, #2)
  • Protective Mate (Holland Brothers, #3)
  • Forbidden Mate (Holland Brothers, #4)
  • A Very Holland Christmas (Holland Brothers 5)
  • A Very Holland Valentine (Holland Brothers #6)