Start by marking “Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces: A Layering System for Big Results in Small Gardens and Containers” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Now - with Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces - you can create the garden of your dreams, no matter how limited your growing space is. Pat Lanza's proven lasagna gardening method produces amazing results in pots and small plots. Even in beds just 4 inches wide, you can grow bountiful, beautiful gardens with no digging, no weeding-- no kidding!
Published January 12th 2002 by Rodale Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces

Dave Beeman
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for those looking to garden both flowers and vegetables in small compact spaces. Includes a wealth of information on types of plants, how to establish and maintain garden spaces, use of pots and other planting devices, and where to go to get things. Better than the old Square Foot Gardening book.
Diane
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly up-to-date book that teaches the no-till method of gardening using nutrient-rich layers to maximize your garden space.

(The latest soil research indicates the beneficial nutrients and microbes are contained in the upper few inches of soil. Tilling, double digging and even mixing in compost and other soil additives is of little use and possible harm as they churn up weed seeds, leave 'poor' soil exposed, and diminish the gardener's enthusiasm.)

The theory is that in a nutrient rich
Sharon
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homesteading
So I don't know much about gardening at all, and a friend loaned this book to me. It's extremely practical and fantastic for those starting at zero. It also covers a way to garden that is EASY and low-maintenance. Right up my alley! It's easy to understand and wonderful to use as a practical guide. I was sad I had to give it back...but the information it gave me is super helpful to start my garden!

This book is best read when getting ready to START a garden space/bed - not after you already have
Hope
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this idea. Already use 12 layers+ of newspaper or really thick cardboard (bicycle boxes are excellent) to kill off lawn before making them into bigger garden borders. But used this idea taking sod from neighbor's driveway expansion or trimming around edges of things to layer UP and make more contours on otherwise flat or gently sloping lawn to make things more interesting. Also within raised beds to make the footing upon which I then built good growing soil for vegetables. Or with lots of ...more
Emily
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this book--read it mostly cover to cover in just two days. Fun, easy to read, and informative. I'm trying to get my garden started in the small backyard of our townhouse and after reading this the number of veggies and herbs I want to plant has tripled! Lots of great ideas for small spaces, even if you don't plan on following the lasagna gardening method. (With lasagna gardening, you don't till the soil, just layer different organic materials on a layer of wet newspapers and pla ...more
Jenny
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
I really wanted the info for layering in containers, but the book really didn't have this info. Having read her original lasagna gardening book, this one was a disappointment, but would probably be good for someone's first book. Her original book was for really large spaces, so for most of us this would be the better choice. She has a good amount of info on what you can combine in containers & how to use the herbs and vegetables you might grow. I'll definitely use the book.
Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: outdoors, how-to
I've only read this one in snatches (when my container gardening roomie isn't), but a great guide to small space, indoor and container gardening - great illustrations, accessible facts and helpful advice on how to grow what well where.
David Ward
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Lasagna Gardening For Small Spaces by Patricia Lanza (Rodale Books 2002) (635.0484) is a good starter book about composting. The focus is on building the layers in place to plant directly into them, whether seeds, plants, or bulbs. My rating: 7/10, finished 4/3/11.
Carole
Apr 05, 2016 added it
Basically, a method of composting directly into the garden. I was looking for something on companion planting. I will need to keep looking.
Nancy Wilson
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: mme52@verizon.net
Very interesting approach to gardening (though what do I know about it)
Would like to take a better look at it early next spring.
Autumn
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love gardening books and this one reads so well and has great ideas--in theory. As always, in practice it is not usually easy for me.
I wish the book could prepare the garden for me!
Deb
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book for giving ideas for small gardens--ideas for flower boxes, pots, garden boxes. I will need to buy this book.
Beth
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
A lot of good advice, especially the composting section. I have started composting and plan to try some of her ideas this Spring.
Sherry
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Liked this book another nice compliment to my gardening library, really liked the planning guides and lists of types of plants, looking forward to using the ideas for this gardening season coming up.
Barbara
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More great ideas and nspiration from Patricia Lanza, the mother of Lasagna Gardening.
Snickerdoodle
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Good information. Written well. Made me feel like even I could do it. Anything to improve my gardening experience is a good thing.
Marty
Aug 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Great read. Interesting and informative gook on organic gardening.
Amanda
Michele Redi
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives
  • Paradise Lot: Two Plant Geeks, One-Tenth of an Acre, and the Making of an Edible Garden Oasis in the City
  • The Ruth Stout No-Work Garden Book
  • Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More
  • You Grow Girl
  • Keeping Bees with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Tend Hives, Harvest Honey & More
  • The Vegetable Gardener's Guide to Permaculture: Creating an Edible Ecosystem
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening
  • The Garden Primer
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers
  • Vertical Vegetables  Fruit: Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up in Small Spaces
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • The Soul of Soil: A Soil-Building Guide for Master Gardeners and Farmers
  • Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments  Other Topical Therapies
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection