Start by marking “The Steradian Trail (The Infinity Cycle, #0)” as Want to Read:
The Steradian Trail (The Infinity Cycle, #0)

The Steradian Trail

(The Infinity Cycle #1)

'A beautifully written, stylish novel . . . a gripping mystery'
Apostolos Doxiadis

Multi-Award Winning Author of the New York Times Bestseller Logicomix

AN ANCIENT CITY
AN AGELESS TRADITION
A MODERN MURDER

They don’t come better than Divya. ‘Uber-smart’ does not even begin to describe it. And even a single-digit All-India rank in everything is nothing more than a left-handed dem
Paperback, India, 362 pages
Published December 20th 2013 by Westland (first published December 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Steradian Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steradian Trail

Start your review of The Steradian Trail (The Infinity Cycle, #0)
Jennifer Kumar
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If only everyone could so brilliantly bring together the worlds of modern science, culture and spirituality, as M.N. Krish has, The Steradian Trail would not stand out as extraordinary! It’s guaranteed that you will be shocked with yourself how quickly you identify and empathize with the main characters in the book. Though each of the main characters have their own unique personality and story, the way their worlds collide throughout this novel is endearing. The connection with the characters, t ...more
Vijay Venkat
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nail-biting page-turner. I finished this book in one-go. A fantastic hybrid of history, science, business and a murder which connects them all with a strong bond. At no point do you feel bored or let-out.

The initial part of the book would give a good introduction about the characters. This author, Krish, has made this characterization more interesting, interlacing it with his good humor. 'Let me debit my carbon credits' - a small example of the author's satire.

Once the intro is done, the book
Bandaru Naresh
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
An original thriller with excellent research by the author on ancient Indian scriptures and their connect with modern science, business and society. Once I started reading the book, the anticipation and suspense made it very difficult to let go off the book till I finished it. Not wanting to reveal how the story goes... what I say is that this is not like one of those many recent Indian stories which draw parallels between history/ mythology and present times. While the story involves a murder, ...more
Shishir Chaudhary
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow! A gripping page-turner that combines Mathematics, History, Religion, Computer Science and Economics, The Steradian Trail was helluva reading delight. The plots involving Ramanujan and Traveling Salesman Problem were masterstrokes, to say the least!

Do not get judgmental about the publisher or the fact that the author is another IITian trying his luck at writing. Believe me this could be the best thriller you would've read by an Indian, and if you happen to be a student of Computer Science, f
Gopal Thirumalai
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing mix of mystery, culture, religion and sciences.. if has been done before, sure not as intelligent in wit or sarcasm and entertaining as this. Set partly in Chennai makes it as palatable as masala vada, well done Krish !
Yatin Gupta
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love reading thrillers and in my opinion, the best way to enjoy a thriller is to finish the book in one go and if you are able to finish a thriller in one go, then it is definitely a good book. And that’s what happened with The Steradian Trail by M.N. Krish. Despite getting absolutely no time because of work commitments, I picked this book up as my saturday night read and I just couldn’t stop reading it till I finished it.

Also, I am a firm believer of the fact that if a murder takes place in t
Sivananthamneela
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think it's appropriate and not an exaggeration for me to warn those who take this book at hand for a causal reading to do so only when having at least about half a day at disposal - yes - it's extremely impossible to put this book down without finishing it.

This Krish guy, an undergraduate of IIT Madras and post graduate of MIT, I should say, must have mastered fluid mechanics - yes - how else one succeeds in pumping adrenalin non-stop throughout his work?

At first it was giving me parallels fr
Ravindra Nallam
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, india, thriller
Thanks to Goodreads, I was seriously look for an Indian Authored books in Fiction and came across this suggestions in Listopia.

The Steradian Trail was my serious single day read when i started it, gradually it took more time than expected. Mr Krish helmed the story with a tight-grip. I experienced the suspense flavor turning page by page.

The Murder Mystery is chased brilliantly. It's a blend of Mathematics/ Algorithms /Computers/GIS/Religion/Mythology. The plot revolves around Popular mathemati
Ramiah Ariya
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian, fiction
I finished the Steradian Trail in a single sitting, the 350 pages thriller went by very fast. The core plot is excellent and fresh. It is written well, with light humor all through.
Without revealing too much, the plot links Mathematics and modern Finance to certain aspects of religion. I was getting tired of the Da Vinci Code ripoffs recently in Indian fiction; and this book is a breath of fresh air. The idea at its root is pretty original.
The book picks up speed after showing disparate set of
Arti
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story is very gripping. The mystery unravels in such a way that you just cannot keep the book down. I was even reading it while walking from the metro to the lift. The characters are very lifelike and I could actually picturise them.

In this holiday season, I would sincerely recommend this book to those who love mystery and even to those who don't like it much, Because, believe me, it is an interesting read and a nice book to curl up with. Given a chance I would visit all the places mentione
Milit
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Technically 4.5 stars.
Loved the concept of introducing Shortest path algo. in economics.
Mind blowing concept taking you tours of mathematics and logic idealizing the live-in threat of solving mystery.

This book was one of the few books you just can't keep after starting till you finish it.
Definitely worth a read.
Can't wait for the next one to be out :D
Raja Mahadevan
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Krish has well connected different aspects like computer algorithm, religion, culture and financial world and it appeared believable. It will make the reader wonder if we have to revisit our religion/culture to find solutions for some of the problems that we try to solve.
Sivananthamneela

At first it was giving me parallels fr
Ravi Jain
Full Review: http://www.bookgeeks.in/entries/histo...

There are many mathematical problems which are still unsolved. The Clay Mathematics Institute has listed out seven “Millennium Prize Problems” of which, six are yet to be solved – Riemann Hypothesis, Hodge Conjecture, P versus NP, Yang-Mills Existence, etc. Many attempts have been made over the centuries to find a solution to these problems, but to no end. Mathematics is a vast subject; a nightmare to many. But to a few it’s an obsession, thei
Prasad Godavarthi
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Computers and Algorithms, Ancient Indian texts and structures, A professor on a visit to India, A practice / ritual among a particular community of India, A crime of unimaginable proportions.

Can there be any connection between any or all of these? Can a story be woven around these?

M.N.Krish, through his debut novel 'The Steradian Trail' (Book #0 of The Infinity Cycle) weaves through all of these with ease and builds an interesting story, a thriller where he leaves the reader with what-happens-ne
Cubsat
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Steradian Trail is an intelligently written thriller and a refreshing change from the religious thrillers doing the rounds in Indian markets. To be fair to thriller readers, it is not the run-of-the-mill pacy, gripping, fast-paced thriller, but it is a somewhat light-hearted, breezy mystery novel with dollops of humour and insights on vedic mathematics and religion. Almost all the important characters in the book are nerds and connected with the academia, and hence their perspectives on life ...more
Louise Smith
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: really-good
I really enjoyed this book. I learned about it when I was looking for information on Srinivasa Ramanujan. (By the way, the book and movie about him, The Man Who Knew Infinity, are both excellent.)
Although this work is set in modern India it does deal with the history and ideas of Ramanujan. I'm from the United States and, although I have visited India, I was a bit worried that the culture of the Indian setting might be a little bit inaccessible to me. To the contrary! Many of the characters rem
Yokesvaran kumarasamy
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
As like others, in one go i've completed this novel. I've got introduced to this book by one of my facebook friend and goodreads reviews looks very promising, so i chose to go with this one, and indeed i enjoyed it.

We all are obsessive and most curios about our past which is more than 2000 years old civilization where our ancestors lived prosperous, structured, probably better life than us. If science has questions and our past civilization had that answer, how would we disclose that? If some ma
Paro
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book thoroughly. After reading it I spent some time thinking can Science , Maths , Technology and Ancient Indian Knowledge be brewed into such lip smacking delicious concoction.

This is an interesting fast paced thriller with a fabulous and well researched plot. The characters and places come alive as you read the book. The language is nice and flows as you read and there is a poetic touch in the way words are strung. The humor is very good and the clichés that we find around us ar
megha
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant crime fiction with a truly original plot. The plot is a clever white-collar crime mystery, and is setup in Indian mileau involving many fascinating things from India such as religion and culture, humour and satire around India that we can connect to immediately. The novel is very fast paced and keeps you engrossed and guessing until it is all revealed. The humour and satire is beautifully interlaced with the overall flow and gives good laughs all throughout without impacting ...more
Prithvi.bits
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Good attempt by Mr Krish. Like the concept of history+Math+Fiction. Did total justice to his first book. keeps you guessing the plot till the last 30 pages.

Certainly far better than many Indian writing floating around in the market.

Good:

1. Narration
2. Concept
3. Style of writing

Improvement areas:

1. Execution - Might have been better if explored little bit detail into the concepts he was taking about
2. Plot - The way he built. Might have been wonderful if there are two parallels one explaining the
Dhananjay Hegde
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a brilliant thriller mixed with light humour. Krish did a great job when it comes to describing scenes from Aiyengars houses. I liked the way he goes very generous with similes and metaphors. It's a fun to read.

But there are certain loopholes in the plot such as -

- Divya, a computer science student, is very well versed with algorithms and even comes up with an improvement by herself. She is pretty good at data mining and machine learning algorithms, but she has never heard of "traveling s
Vaishnavi Kandala
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gripping and impressive plot. I was surprised by the way the author connected religion, mythology, algorithms and general day-to-day lives of people in one plot. I could relate to most of the topics that he touched upon and enjoyed his style of humor! I particularly like the way that the story goes at a good pace, doesn't get too slow or too fast. Eagerly waiting for the next book in the series :)
Sasank Mukkamala
Amazingly well researched and well written. A real page turner. Definitely worth the time. Its so much more than just a thriller, learnt about so many new things in diverse topics - history, finance, computer algorithms and classic problems and even religion! Connected with the book, the places mentioned and the characters on so many levels. This is definitely the best Indian book that I've read by a contemporary author.
Vasu Adunutula
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazing read... very fast paced and creative!

I grew up reading western fiction and got to know a lot about those countries and cultures through this fiction. 'The Steradian Trail' does the same service to people world over in understanding Indian culture and does that in a most entertaining manner!
Guru Raghavendran
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I started this novel without much knowledge abt the content.. only thing i had known was it has some thing to do with Ancient cities of Tamilnadu tat held my interest.. Though its nothing much to do with Ancient cities, i was not disappointed rather its about great personality of India which kept me going.. I don't want to reveal the plot further go ahead and try its worth it
Sharada Sivaram
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the Maths references through out
I enjoyed the flavour of the thriller and it kept me on pleasurable note inspite of a murder mystery, unlike other thrillers which makes us tense

We would welcome more books from you
Vasudha Rao
Feb 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very engrossing.Laced with ample humour.Though based on Mathematics,it is interesting throughout.The Chennai backdrop is woven in a very likeable manner.Filter coffee & other things make it very readable.One can almost smell the degree filter coffee.

Al in all...a very readable tale !
Ranga Rajan
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very gripping storyline, refreshing memories of South. Was almost travelling along with the characters throughout the plot and couldn't keep the book down until done. Thanks to my friend for recommending a read.
Raja
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a gripping novel with a different and commendable theme. After knowing it, we will be astounded by its possibility.
Though the style was similar to Dan brown's even the role of protagonist as professor, this book is definitely a page turner !

• The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • The Palace of Illusions
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • The Forgotten (John Puller, #2)
  • 24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week
  • The Lottery
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
  • The Winner
  • The Simple Truth
  • The Day After Tomorrow
  • Wake up, girl!
  • HARAPPA: Curse of the Blood River
  • Cold Is The Grave / The Summer That Never Was  (Inspector Banks #11, #13)
  • Outside Chance
  • The Cry of the Halidon
  • Khattar Kaka
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Untamed
Krish has spent a good part of his life teasing stories out of numbers to do anything from scheduling planes to selling insurance (not simultaneously). His occasional op-ed articles have appeared in Business Line and Business Standard. He holds a BTech degree from IIT and Masters degrees from MIT.