Start by marking “Outbound Flight (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Outbound Flight (Star Wars)

Outbound Flight

(Star Wars Legends)

It began as the ultimate voyage of discovery–only to become the stuff of lost Republic legend . . . and a dark chapter in Jedi history. Now, at last, acclaimed author Timothy Zahn returns to tell the whole extraordinary story of the remarkable–and doomed–Outbound Flight Project.

The Clone Wars have yet to erupt when Jedi Master Jorus C’baoth petitions the Senate for support
Published January 30th 2007 by Del Rey (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Outbound Flight, please sign up.
Carlos What are you really worried about? Most of prequel legends is mostly better and more coeherent (if you take out the 2008 clone wars) than everything…moreWhat are you really worried about? Most of prequel legends is mostly better and more coeherent (if you take out the 2008 clone wars) than everything that happens after chronologically.
I haven’t read it yet, but there shouldn’t be anything major from the prequel trilogy since it doesn’t revolve around the main characters from the prequels and it happens before ep2 and after ep1. You probably will just see references of Palpatine being the supreme chancellor or who is currently in the Jedi council.
(less)

Start your review of Outbound Flight (Star Wars)
Jake
My usual caveat: I am a Timothy Zahn fanboy. I have yet to read a work of his I didn’t like. Some, of course, are better than others, but I’ve loved ‘em all. So read this review understanding that.

For those not in the know; a number of years ago, Timothy Zahn effectively re-launched the Star Wars novels with his Heir to the Empire trilogy. It was a smash hit, and rightly so. Zahn managed to capture the SW universe perfectly, while introducing plots and threats that were actually interesting,
Brad
My healing as a Star Wars fan has come a long way since my trip to the theatre for my final kick in the balls at the booted foot of Revenge of the Sith. My tender testes put up with a whole bunch of abuse from Episodes I-III, and I thought I'd never be able to fall in love again, but much to the delight of my healing privates that fall is happening again.

I have two reasons, and both of those reasons have to do with the Expanded Galaxy of Star Wars and nothing to do with Star Wars itself.

Reason
Patrick
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I know I'm a nerd, but I love the star Wars books. The first ones I read were my mother-in-law's Thrawn trilogy that take place 5 years after Return of the Jedi. Great series! That said, I've not been especially drawn to the 40+ other books that take place after the Star Wars movies. I love the books that take place before and during the first three episodes. The life of the Jedi order and the plotting of Palpatine/Sidious totally suck me in. The books in this timeframe also almost all ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Timothy Zahn, often considered the Father of Star Wars Expanded Universe, returns to the Galaxy Far, Far Away to detail the story behind Outbound Flight, Jorus C'baoth, and, most importantly, Thrawn. Since he is my favorite author, I definitely couldn't miss this one.

Plot:
Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth has come up with the ultimate mission: to send a group of beings out beyond the Republic, to the Unknown Regions to colonize and perhaps penetrate to the next galaxy. After winning approval from the
Markus
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
The rating may be a little bit unfair, considering that the book itself does little wrong. Unfortunately, I got the impression that it didn't do much right either. The most impressive part here is Zahn's ability to adapt quickly to the "completely" new setting provided by the prequel trilogy. Outbound Flight is basically the book where Thrawn meets the prequels.

The problem is that the book was hardly exciting at all and the characters were more or less all uninteresting. Most of it consists of
Ilona
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting to see Thrawn before he was recruited by The Empire and the ultimately disasterous fate of the Outbound Flight project. Also very interesting how they are already setting up the Yuuzhan Vong invasion which will happen during the New Jedi Order Era. 5 Stars ofcourse.
Sans
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I would rate this higher if it was for so much page time devoted to C’baoth. I hated him, which I’m sure was the point. Once I started skimming his sections, my opinion of the book rose considerably.

I’m not ok with how it ended, but that’s why my personal head canon has been updated and the thing that happened to that character never actually happened.
Eli Hornyak
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I love me some Admiral Thrawn, his character in this book far outweighed the snotty teenager Anakin Skywalker.
TheBookHunter
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Continuing my quest to read through the Star Wars Expanded Universe, I have reached possibly one of my favorite Star Wars books of all time: Outbound Flight.

This novel, written by (God Emperor) Timothy Zahn tells the story of the character of Grand Admiral Thrawn's mysterious appearance in the galaxy in the days of the Republic, roughly five or six years before the Clone Wars and about four-five years after events of the Phantom Menace.

Firstly, I have to say regardless of what your opinion may
Leo
Dec 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This book told the origin of Outbound Flight, gave the first glimpse (chronologically) of Thrawn and told of Jorus C'baoth and his obsession. I think it was good background for the events in the Heir to the Empire Trilogy. Unfortunately I found the story a little flat, and actually wished that Obi-Wan and Anakin hadn't been involved, if just to give some of the other characters a little more time and spotlight.
Katrin von Martin
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
It isn't a secret that I rather dislike Timothy Zahn's "Star Wars" books; they're just never been quite what I've wanted to see in the EU. However, after reading "Survivor's Quest," I found that I was intrigued with the story of the ill-fated mission known as Outbound Flight. "Outbound Flight" fills in the gaps and tells that story...kind of. Spoilers follow.

"Outbound Flight" takes place sometime before the Clone Wars, during the time of the Old Republic. There are three main plots that all
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This is to the old Legends continuity what the more recent "Thrawn" is to the new Disney continuity: telling the introductory story of one of the most interesting characters to come out of any version of the extended "Star Wars" universe. In some respects it isn't quite as successful, as much of Thrawn's character doesn't get the exclusive focus it does in the more recent novel. But its only a minor complains, as Timothy Zahn manages to incorporate the introduction as part of a much wider, far ...more
Robin
Ach, there's nothing like a good nostalgia trip when you are sick in bed. This book distracted me from my wretched throat and brought back so many warm and fuzzies from almost two decades ago, when I read and was thrilled by the original Thrawn trilogy. So, as a nostalgic venture, it's decent. As a book standing on its own merits, it is not something I would recommend.

If you already love Thrawn from the other Zahn books, you'll love seeing him here, doing his Thrawny thing, but this time acting
Holden Attradies
When I think of Star Wars novels "Timothy Zahn" is always first in my head. He jump started the expanded universe into existence and his work is still the best out there, hands down. Lucas may have made it so a lot of his original stories no longer properly fit into canon, but ya know what? I liked his novels FAR better then the newer stuff and in my heart I view his books as truer to the feel and soul of the original trilogy.

So how does it pan out when Zahn tried to re-incorporate part of his
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Outbound Flight gives the back story on the mission Outbound Flight, alluded to briefly in Heir to the Empire, and also serves as a bit of an origin story for Grand Admiral Thrawn, then known as Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo of the Chiss Expansionary Fleet.

Basically, if you love Thrawn, you'll love this book. It's very well-done, much better than any of Zahn's previous Star Wars novels (nostalgia doesn't influence this rating as it does with the Thrawn trilogy ratings). Characterization and plot
Gregory
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
While I usually enjoy Zahn's Star Wars books, this one was a bit of a hit and miss for me. There was something a little off about the pacing and how the overall story unfolded. There was more of a "forced" feeling to this story than most of his other books. It was like he had a couple of core elements to work from (introduction of a young Thrawn and the fall of Jedi Master Jorus C’baoth) and tried to wedge a story in and around them that just didn't feel natural to me. It's not to say that parts ...more
Samantha
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure I would. I didn't enjoy all the Thrawn novels before and didn't like some Timothy Zahn's novels, but I really got into this book. It has a dual story that comes together at the end. I'm not going to go into a long plot summary. I liked how we finally got to see how Thrawn got involved with the Republic. I was intrigued by C'boath's Jedi philosophies and how he relates to others. I agreed with a lot of the reviewers that I felt Anakin and Kenobi were ...more
Corey
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was fun, I loved seeing the young Thrawn and how Darth Sidious started to scout him out for his purposes. Thrawn is probably one of my favorite villains in Star Wars because he does what needs to happen. The book makes me hate C'boath, a lot. I wish there had been more background on him for his craziness. I loved seeing characters like Obi-Wan in it. Good book that does well expanding the Star Wars universe
Bryan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An interesting look into the past, that finally provides us with motivations for some of the mysterious actions of Grand Admiral Thrawn (as well as giving some fascinating insights into the motivations of Emperor Palpatine himself). A great way to end the Thrawn saga, by showing us how it all began.
Camille
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As a big fan of the "Heir to the Empire" series (I think they should make movies of this series, but Mark Hammil would have to loose a ton of weight)I really enjoyed this book, which is a look at Admiral Thrawn and the Chiss before even the clone wars began. Timothy Zahn is my favorite author of Star Wars novels and this one did not dissapoint.
Ashley
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was a dream come true. I'd been waiting ever since we got that bit of Thrawn's backstory in Vision of the Future, hoping that someday we'd get the whole story. At last, we did, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Seeing a young Thrawn in his natural habitat was such a treat!
Ron
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ron by: Wendell Andrea
Actually 3.5 stars.

Timothy Zahn succeeds again. Kind of a Thrawn prequel. Well done.

Zahn escapes the curse of fan fiction by hardly involving main stream Star Wars characters (Obi-Wan, et al.) in the main plot.

A fun story. Not great literature, but 99.9 per cent of books aren't.
Amy
May 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of SW expanded universe books.
Great SW book that is set during the near-end of the Clone Wars. Zahn is one of my favorite authors of SW-related material! Introduces readers to Thrawn, and weaves this storyline in with 2 others. Highly recommended!
Walt
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
A rather original storyline to the genre. It really sets up the reader for the companion volume: Survivor's Quest.
Nyamebekyere
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of star wars
Ever wanted to find out where Thrawn came from??? Read this book and find out.
Terence Mascarenhas
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
love me my star wars books!
Alistair
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I read this when i was 8, so i don't remember much.
Matthew Abbott
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-wars
Set prior to The Clone Wars in an era of political and economic uncertainty, Outbound Flight is Jedi master C'baoth's pet project of exploration; intending to take a colony of Jedi, force sensitive individuals and colonists to explore worlds in the unknown regions of space.

The story begins with the possibility of the mission perhaps being axed permanently much to C'baoth's disgust, and we are treated to some of the political maneuverings of Senator Palpatine, who even in these early stages in
Haden
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
me to thrawn, but also the entire chiss ascendency to thrawn: why are you like this
Chad Sides
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
One of the best Star Wars books I've ever read! It helps to know the New Jedi Order and original Thrawn events as this one has heavy ties to both.
Anybody else out there a Thrawn fanatic? 13 73 Mar 14, 2016 12:51AM

• Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • Shadow Hunter
  • The Cestus Deception
  • Labyrinth of Evil (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Shatterpoint
  • Jedi Trial
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Way of the Apprentice (Star Wars: Jedi Quest, #1)
  • Rule of Two (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #2)
  • Path of Destruction (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #1)
  • Dynasty of Evil (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #3)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Wild Space (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Tatooine Ghost
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • No Prisoners (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #3)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he ...more

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 348 books)
  • Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Into the Void
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest