Start by marking “The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure” as Want to Read:
The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure

The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  819 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Humanure; waste or resource? Joseph Jenkins boldly steps where no author has gone before. Considered by many a "moving" book, The Humanure Handbook will surprise you with its timely relevance, delight you with its humor, and impress you with its thorough research. Full of "eye-candy" illustrations, practical information, history, philosophy, and science, it addresses an is ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 302 pages
Published October 1st 2001 by Jenkins Publishing (PA) (first published July 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Humanure Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Humanure Handbook

Wayne
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an important book, but not great reading. I was looking for "how to," but the author was so afraid of people's reactions (and rightly so), that he took most of the book warming the reader up with the "why." After a point--maybe the second chapter or so--I got the idea, but he kept repeating himself.

To summarize:
1. Pooping in water is unhealthy and bad for the environment.
2. Poop should be composted.
3. If poop is composted properly, the end result is not dangerous.
4. If it's not composted
Jeremy
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a surprising eye opener to me. I'd always believed the fecophobic assumption that human manure was unsafe. While strongly commending people that compost it rather than flushing it, I also wrongly assumed that this compost was something one had to be highly wary of using.

In the Humanure Handbook, Joseph Jenkins spends a lot of time defending the practice and safety of composting human shit, and using the subsequent humus in gardens. Different than the direct application of "night so
Kerrie
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let's talk about poo.

It's gross, isn't it? Over the last 150 years or so humanity has advanced in the realm of how we handle poo. Instead of allowing it to flow through the streets, we sit on a ceramic bowl filled with water from the same source as the water we drink. We then flush it away into a city sewer (or septic tank), it gets treated with a bunch of chemicals, and the treated water is then put back into our water supply. Yum, chlorine!

With a dwindling fresh water supply for a growing popu
Kat
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homesteading
Why do we piss, shit and vomit in our nice clean drinking water? I can't say I ever considered this question before reading the Humanure Handbook (via a free PDF). Since my guy and I are in contract on a sweet piece of land in the New York City watershed with a rustic cabin and no septic system (yet), I wanted more information on composting toilets and found this amusing and eye-opening screed.

In case you're wondering, my first purchase for "the land" will be a big ole truckload of sawdust so I
Elizabeth
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great analysis of and unique insight into waste management, particularly the disposal of human waste (I refuse to use the word humanure). I found a lot of it overly technical and dull, but it was worth it.

Key things I learned:
- Composting human waste makes it safe to use for agriculture
- Asian agriculture uses it without composting, which is dangerous
- Excreting our waste into purified drinking-quality water is really dumb
- Composting closes the nutrient cycle and returns the nutrients in the wa
Amy
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to help me save the world
Very encouraging. I look forward to shitting in a bucket in the near future.
Rachel B

A very interesting read overall! I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in "sustainable living." The concept of composting one's own excrement obviously won't appeal to everyone, but this book gives lots of detailed information on the why and how for the counter-cultural.

As interesting as the book was, it begged for a proper editor. The author was very repetitive, went off on unrelated tangents, and simply had an inconsistent writing style throughout the book. Several of t
Jeremy Kinney
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! Though using human manure for composting is not a popular subject, it is one we all need to think about. Jenkins really puts the importance of humanure into perspective while making it an interesting read and even adding a little humor. This book is definitely for the environmentally conscious person who cares for the future of this planet. I would recommend this book to anyone because, after all, we all poop right?

In his book, Jenkins explains how ridiculous it is to pollute
Kyle
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The most beautiful book ever written about shit. Not only is this something that I fully intend to practice on my homestead, but it is something that I wish I owned land RIGHT NOW so I could start doing it today, and stop wasting all of the valuable organic materials and nutrients my body passes.

If anyone should wish to criticize my praise for this book, please do so with A) proof that the system advocated by the author would not work, or B) a system that would be more hygienic and more effecti
Gururaj
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great book.

Great book to understand the basis of water pollution from human activity. I admire Joseph Jenkins to have gone against the tide and doing what he thought is right. It's definitely not easy to say the least.
I feel that it has solution to water problem in the developing world.

Nice quote from the author (The world is divided into two categories of people: those who shit in drinking water and those who don't)
Hilarious titles for the chapters are a plus - Crap Happens, Deep Sh*t. :
Anna
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can read my full review on my blog. The short version is --- the book has the same pros and cons as most self-published books. The author goes out on a limb about things that don't necessarily make sense and spends far too long defending other things that the reader presumably already agrees with or she would never have picked up the book. And yet, in the midst of all that, self-published books tend to have an authenticity, passion, and non-mainstream weirdness that appeals to me and lets me ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm convinced! We'll be using Jenkins' method when we build our off-grid house, if not before. I've seen it in action a couple times now too; makes good conversation with other eco-minded folk. I continue to be surprised at how many people I find who are already using this method or planning to. Essential reading for anyone concerned about their impact on the planet and finding a better way to deal with our "waste" besides flushing it "away" with our drinking water...
Eric T.
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of very good data and information. Unfortunately, one must be subjected to the authors misguided religious/political views in order to get at the raw usable information provided. If you have any reason to be interested in waste management and have the cognitive capacity to exercise discernment, I recommend reading, at least portions of, this book.

(My personal interest in this subject has to do with waste management applications in 3rd world missions.)
Michaela Hutfles
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you need to be sold on this as a good ideas, read the first half; if you need to understand how to do this because you are already sold skip to the second half.
Great book to hand to your building permit folks if you want to try to actually get this permitted on your property.
He kinda covers gray-water, but I would really suggest a different book if your seriously looking into gray-water reclamation.
Remember: it's not waste it's recyclables.
David Hughes
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sobering yet inspiring read. My favorite quote:

"Less than 1% of the earth's water is available for drinking. Why shit in it?"

I've read so much about nutrient cycling using livestock, and the odor-free deep bedding composting methods used by farmers like Joel Salatin. This is essentially the same thing, but for humans.
Bruce
Excellent book. Not just for the technique (and there are some great youtube videos to help with this as well), but the great way the author tries to break down our general cultural resistance to dealing with our own shit, literally and figuratively.
Justin
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment
It is beyond doubt that future historians will look back on our generation and the multiple water shortage and contamination problems we currently suffer from, and wonder how Western “civilization” could have advocated urinating and defecating into what little purified drinking water we have left. I apologize to the light-hearted among my readers for touching on such an apparently foul subject, but the growing global water and health crises stand in such stark contrast with current waste-managem ...more
Bethany
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to really, really like this book. I wanted to tell everyone that they should read it and that it really would solve world hunger, bring about world peace, stop the soil, air, and water pollution problems that are wreaking havoc on the health of humanity around the world over. I wanted to. I do, after all, have good reason to really like this book. I already compost my family's poop. I fertilize the garden with urea tea. I recycle my greywater, using it to boost moisture levels in the co ...more
January
Why oh why did I not force myself to finish reading this before starting to build my compost toilet? Here are the things I learned, some of which conflicted with my assumptions about the compost toilet, which I had already done a fair amount of research on before reading this.

- You don’t have to turn piles. Indeed, it saves time and decreases the loss of organic matter and nitrogen if you don’t.
- By insulating a compost pile, top and sides, with straw or even finished compost, this will allow
Desiree
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Humanure Handbook is a great how to and more importantly why-to guide to composting human manure. It's clear, informative, scientific, interesting and at times even humorous. Jenkins is a great writer with a passion and knowledge of nature and ecology is quite thorough, making this work popular for very good reason.
David Gross
My main problem with this book is that it touts itself as a handbook when it's really a philosophy book with a couple of practical chapters at the end. I was easily convinced that this is something that needs to be considered, so beating me over the head with it for a couple hundred pages before telling me how to go about it was unnecessary and pretty annoying.
Johnny Stevenson
Wordy and redundant at times, lots of unsubstantiated historical theories about Eastern vs. Western philosophy, but excellent as a practical guide for setting up a composting toilet system. Definitely the best book about shit out there.
Melissa Monster
I want to buy a copy of this book for every person that I know! Everyone should read this.
Corrie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this.
Fernleaf
So I've been reading a book lately called the Humanure Handbook and basically it is a book about what to do with human excrement to keep it from becoming 'waste.' Which is a really good thing because right now we basically shit into our drinking water and then flush it off where it is 'treated' and then put back into the world. Not only are our treatments often ineffective, resulting in pollution but we also lose all the possible nutrients we could gain by composting our 'waste' back into a usef ...more
Victoria Haf
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El tema es un poco raro pero también necesario, tendríamos que pensar más a donde van nuestros desechos. Como estamos por construir el baño en nuestra casita fuera de los sistemas públicos, decidí leer este libro que tenía desde hace un buen rato.
Aunque a veces resulta un poco repetitivo, aprendí mucho y en retrospectiva veo que muchas de las cosas que estaba haciendo están mal. Cuando tenía perros, hice un agujero y puse ahí toda su popó, igual cuando murieron los enterré. Ahora sé que hubiera
Alison Van Arsdel
I thought this book was excellent and everyone should read it. If you aren't into the science or political parts you could skip the involved pages on those topics. But anyone who could read this book and not want to begin composting and using grey water systems...well, I don't know about them, they concern me.

I think the book gives you everything you need to get started including the motivation. If you are very serious about setting up a grey water and composting system and live in a trickier a
Jocie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A practical guide to putting back into the soil the nutrients you took out, in a way that is best for the health of your family and community.

(thermophilic composting done correctly (it is not that complicated) kills all pathogens except prions (mad cow disease). Septic systems and flush toilets- the water is usually treated and put back into lakes and rivers, the sludge is usually put into landfills (we are pulling nutrients out of the soil, and packaging them away!)- but watch out! This bioslu
Ruth Timmons
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by a friend when I complained that I wasn't finding anything on line about the practical details involved in composting toilets. She'd found this book in a reading list for would be Mars colonists. In it, Jenkins does a great job of discussing a topic most people would rather not think about.

There are other books that cover the dangers of not treating human wastes, but Jenkins also detail the problems and dangers of modern sewage treatment systems. Mainly that we in the fi
Polly
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agriculture, diy, skimmed
This book is free to download. just Google it.

You can guess what this book is about....
If you keep an open mind, you'll find that the author asserts this practice is entirely safe (more so than than our current "sanitation" systems: waste-water treatment plants, septic tanks...) and even better, effective at turning what some call "waste" into something useful. By composting our waste we're just completing the natural nutrient cycle. The author says he uses his own composted humanure on his gar
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain Into Your Life and Landscape
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • Introduction to Permaculture
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Rocket Mass Heaters: Superefficient Woodstoves You Can Build
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits  Vegetables
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
“We line up and make a lot of noise about big environmental problems like incinerators, waste dumps, acid rain, global warming and pollution. But we don't understand that when we add up all the tiny environmental problems each of us creates, we end up with those big environmental dilemmas. Humans are content to blame someone else, like government or corporations, for the messes we create, and yet we each continue doing the same things, day in and day out, that have created the problems. Sure, corporations create pollution. If they do, don't buy their products. If you have to buy their products (gasoline for example), keep it to a minimum. Sure, municipal waste incinerators pollute the air. Stop throwing trash away. Minimize your production of waste. Recycle. Buy food in bulk and avoid packaging waste. Simplify. Turn off your TV. Grow your own food. Make compost. Plant a garden. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. If you don't, who will?” 11 likes
“When viewed at the next quantum level of perspective, from which the Earth is seen as an organism and humans are seen as microorganisms, the human species looks like a menace to the planet. In fact, the human race is looking a lot like a disease -- comprised of organisms excessively multiplying, mindlessly consuming, and generating waste with little regard for the health and well-being of its host -- planet Earth.” 6 likes