Start by marking “The Backyard Berry Book: A Hands-On Guide to Growing Berries, Brambles, and Vine Fruit in the Home Garden” as Want to Read:

Here's hands-on advice from a professional horticulturist and experienced fruit grower to help gardeners create an edible landscape. The Backyard Berry Book provided all the information that backyard gardeners need to grow strawberries, rhubarb, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, lingonberries, currants, gooseberries, grapes, and kiwi fruit. Includes details on soil n ...more
Published April 1st 1995 by Ottographics

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Berry Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Berry Book

Gail Richmond
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the entire volume, but the Backyard Berry Book is set up like author Otto's award-wining The Backyard Orchardist and systematically with diagrams, charts, and references demonstrates how to set up and maintain berries and vine fruit in a home garden.

This volume includes site selection, soil preparation, selection of variety, pruning, pests..... name it, and if it has to do with berries or grapes, it can be found here.

Excellent selection for a beginner and experienced gardener.
Kristal
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book turned me off almost immediately. In chapter 2, the author suggests the use of Roundup to kill weeds in the area you are prepping to plant your berries and vine fruit. What? Is the author a Monsanto employee? I thumbed through a bit further and found recommendations for mixing up pesticide for pest control. Come on, people. Some organic choices, please? The reason most people want to grow their own berries, fruits, and vegetables these days is not only for enjoyment and producing perfe ...more
Stephanie
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I mostly just grazed this book looking for helpful information.
Anna
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really just skimmed this book since I've read several others on the basics of berry-growing. What I liked the most about the book is the copious charts. What I didn't like is the focus on conventional agriculture (pesticides, herbicides, etc.)
Julie
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love reading books on gardening-- for fun and for information. Otto's books are very easy for the plain ole hobbyist like me and especially for those who want to get started growing berries or and orchard (home orchard of course!)
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone seriously interested in raising fruit.
Shelves: nonfiction
Lots of good info - detailed and specific.
Joy
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-farming
This book has useful info on choosing varieties, trellising, planting, dealing with pests, beneficial insects and the like. Gave me a lot more confidence about berries and soft fruit gardening!
Ravi
Aug 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
good
Elie
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: growing
Covers good practical skills. Gets right to the point.
Seal
Jan 02, 2019
Camille
Mar 17, 2008
Nicolas
I bought this more as a reference book for my blueberry bushes.
Janice Strong