Start by marking “Summer Sun Risin'” as Want to Read:
Summer Sun Risin'

Summer Sun Risin'

An African American boy enjoys a summer day on his family's farm, milking the cows, fishing, and having fun.
Hardcover, 1st ed., 32 pages
Published April 9th 2002 by Lee & Low Books (first published February 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Sun Risin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Sun Risin'

Gabriella Brown
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This book is appropriate for pre-k to 2nd grade. Early in the morning a boy helps his mother and father care for the animals and the crops. The book goes through a variety of activities and animals during the summer sun. It ends with storytime to put the child to bed and the summer sun setting. This book is is full of great full-page illustrations. The text is brief, repetitive, and simple to read. The book follows a productive/fun day on the farm. In the classroom this book would be perfect to ...more
Amy Layton
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This was a relaxing read as I was powering through lots of other things that day.  The narrative is in verse, and is paired nicely with Tate's illustrations.  Reading this made me feel like I was with the boy, also spending time with his family and working on a farm.  And when I'd finished it was suddenly autumn and I was in college!  Who knew.  Ultimately, this book is super cute, and would be great for a farm curriculum.

Review cross-listed here!
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this uncomplicated view of the joys of a farm in the middle of summer. The words and images are buoyant. Bonus: A great lesson in the parts of the day, heralded by the sun, from dawn to dusk.
Shari
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Nikola-Lisa gift of rhythmic-rhyming language is alive and well in this book. Great aloud choice.
Rachael Terry
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun, simple rhyming story about farm life.
Gail Barge
This would be a good book to use in a farm unit for kindergarten, as well as a good book to study rhyming. I loved the simple text and the way the text and the pictures corresponded. It is almost like an I-spy book. I would use this with kids and they could find the pictures in the illustrations that correspond to the words. Overall, a sweet and simple book with fun rhyming text!
Meg
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Really liked this book with rhymes describing a young boy's day on the farm, doing all the farm work while following the summer sun's progress across the sky. Something about the rhythm of the rhymes didn't quite work for me - it felt like they needed another syllable in them. But overall liked it.
Lisa
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-my-sons-4-8
My 20-month old grandson enjoyed pointing out the sun on each page of this book as I read it to him. Lively and wholesome paintings by Don Tate and story by W. Nikola-Lisa tell us about family life on a farm.
Karen
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. The illustrations were intriguing. The text was simple and poetic. I would have like the text even more if I had realized it would be better if it were sung. I didn't work that out until the final refrain on the last page.
Randall
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ruthie, seva
Glad I read the author's review w suggestion that the story makes a good song. Our little one liked it and really loved the beautiful illustrations. A busy summer day on a farm.
Michael
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice, simple rhymes and simple, bright colors make this a comforting little lullaby, focused on the sun as an African American boy and his family go about their day on a farm.
Kim
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, summer, sun
A great rhyming book for older kids. (5-8) Rhymes aren't automatic but can be figured out. They really liked it. Used with sun craft during summer reading club
Sandra
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's very poetic and the pictures are beautiful.
Tricia
Aug 17, 2008 rated it liked it
beautiful pictures of a day at the farm. smooth rhymes.
Heather
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
My 1 year old brought this one to me often while we had it from the library, so it's obviously good.
Martin
Jul 12, 2014
Hilary
May 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
W. Nikola-Lisa's interest in writing books for young readers began as an elementary school teacher. He is the author of numerous books, including the award-winning Bein' With You This Way (Lee & Low), Shake Dem Halloween Bones (Houghton Mifflin) and the How We Are Smart (Lee & Low), recipient of the prestigious Christopher Award. As an accomplished storyteller and musician, Mr. Nikola-Lisa ...more