Start by marking “Mind Gym” as Want to Read:
Mind Gym

Mind Gym

Praise for "Mind Gym"

"Believing in yourself is paramount to success for any athlete. Gary's lessons and David's writing provide examples of the importance of the mental game." --Ben Crenshaw, two-time Masters champion and former Ryder Cup captain

""Mind Gym" hits a home run. If you want to build mental muscle for the major leagues, read this book." -
Published June 24th 2002 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Gym, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Gym

Start your review of Mind Gym
Rachel
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my brother
Shelves: self-improvement
This book caught my eye when it cropped up on a friend's reading list (Thanks, Virb!). I am in the middle of training for a half marathon, and I figured I could use a pep talk. Mind Gym fit the bill nicely. It contains many inspirational stories, mostly from professional athletes with whom the author has worked in his career as a sports psychology consultant and counselor. Many anecdotes came from baseball, football and golf greats. I'm not very familiar with those sports; I hope that by reading th ...more
Gehrig H.
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. It was an amazing book for me because it changed my whole perspective on how to view my results in sports and also changed my perspective in many other things.
2. I can relate this book to me in many ways. Most of all, I can relate it to baseball. If I get up to bat and I have a bad at-bat, I can now think "It's okay I'll do better the next time." Instead of dwelling on the bad at-bat I had the first time. If I make an error in the field and I think "I'll get the next one" rather than
Jillian
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jillian by: Morgan Levy
Shelves: nonfiction
A lot of the sports psychology in this book is pure common sense, but I was able to glean a few gems from it and apply them to my roller derby mindset.

Complaints: The author has worked with baseball and football players, and is an avid golfer. So many of his examples are of males and male-sports and I found it hard to relate. A similar book by a female author would be great.

Also, the book is from 2001. A lot of the idolized figures have now fallen out of favor... Lance Ar
Claxton
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this! One day when I'm grown up I'll be disciplined and have a clean, orderly, well-kept mind like Grace. Thanks for the recommendation, Grace!
Linda Lindquist-Bishop
Great resource tool for performance development whether it be in athletics, vocational life or a particular avocation where you are seeking to excel. I often use this book with coaching clients and pair it with 'The War of Art' as resource tools.

His key premise is that we reach a level of physical competency that can only be elevated by our mental game. The peak level of performance is unleashed - or stopped by what we think - not what we do. This is about developing our mental game.
It is crit
Seth Sharpe
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind Gym: An Athletes's Guide to Inner Excellence is a book that I would strongly recommend to anyone that has ever had experience with competitive athletics or general knowledge of sports. This is a book that I think would be great for teachers and coaches to recommend to their high school athletes or students. I was given this book and read it shortly after it was released during my time in high school athletics and read it again this past summer. The book covers a variety of mental strategies ...more
Katie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 4 stars. I would mostly recommend Mind Gym to athletes. Gary Mack talks mainly about the mind set of athletes. This book was a good read for me because I am an athlete and I can relate to a lot of the mental problems Gary Mack talks about.
Rachel
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone interested in Sports Psychology, or improving their attitude and performance in an athletic setting. I think parts of this book also apply to non-athlete's as it retrains your way of thought and your ability to believe in your body.
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best mental training book I've read, hands down.
Garrett Lachney
I’ll get right to it. This one was tough to pull myself through. I’m very surprised at the amount of positive comments and overall rating for this book. There is an alarmingly small amount of actionable content here given its status proclaiming otherwise. The average chapter length is perhaps 3 or 4 pages long. In my opinion, it’s hard to cover any meaningful topic in 3 or 4 pages.

The brevity could almost be forgiven if the writing was precise, deliberate, and the ideas well-research
Brandon Singleton
Mind Gym is an amazing book that contains a lot of life lessons and relates to sports athletes. But you don't have to be an athlete. It can relate to real world problems and situations. The book is mostly about professional athletes and how they deal with situations on sports topics. They mostly tell you how to focus your mind to succeed in your sport.

What i liked about Mind Gym? I liked the lessons it taut me about being an athlete on and off the field. I also liked the quotes in the book abou
Zaida
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mind gym gave me a lot of valuable information and was rich with examples of inspiring stories (often where athletes picked themselves up.) This was nice since I’m going through my whole acl surgery/recovery. I will say that it was hard for me to really get into the book just because many of the athletes talked about and references made were to sports I’m not as familiar with. Never the less though, I found a lot of relatable scenarios and I’m defiantly taking away from the book that the min ...more
emma
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic, 2018
Essentially, mindfulness in athletics, whether that's a sport or the gym. I really really love the concept of mind/body connection, and I have found this to be essential to my self care routines. I got away with just reading the single sentence summaries at the end of each chapter, rather than reading every example. My favorite bit was the acronym ACT: Accept your present state, Create your desired state, Take action through goal setting. I need that painted on my walls.
Amanda
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tool kit to build your mental muscle in competitive sports. In contrast to typical sports psychology books that tout platitudes, ”Mind Gym” provides practical tips to practice off court to train your mind and reframe your mental models to better compete on court.
Kaycee Monnens
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and helpful. I enjoyed the specific exercises tied to a winning mindset, rather than just abstract concepts that I could not bring to fruition.
Max Kloster
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I started reading this book I already had learned a great amount. As these athletes tell me these stories I get a good idea of how it’s like to go pro.

Mind Gym is a fictional book written by Gary Mack and David Casstevens that will teach you a lot about the struggles of athletes and the hidden things in sports but also will teach you a lot about life and how to succeed. They talk mainly about mental toughness and just how to keep a good mind set. It features a lot of athletes, and
Eric
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was given to me by a friend and fellow coach to help me meet my fullest potential as an athlete and as a coach. As a whole, the advice is good and provides some good wisdom to focus on. Beyond that, it's merely a sports professional quoting other sports professionals and telling sports anecdotes. If you can move beyond that fact and focus in on the lessons in the brief chapters, you may find things that motivate and inspire you - and can help you reach your inner excellence, as promised. Al ...more
Jen
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST READ for athletes, whether you're an elite or a weekend warrior! Really good tips that can apply to daily life, too, and those little stressors that get us down.

Only one quote this time: "The greatest victory is the victory over ourselves. Remember, it's always too soon to quit."
John Brenes
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was scrolling down on my phone I came to this book called . "Mind Gym" I asked my self if this book was really going to be about the gym of the mind. When I purchased this book on my phone I sat down and started reading this book. I recommend this book to any athlete old or young it does not matter. This book is about Gary Mack telling us that the mind is the most important part of your game. He goes on and says that if you don't train your mind right it will become harder to finish what ...more
Dani Oliver
1. Very good inspirational story, builds your mind up mentally.
2. I can relate to this because everyday my head gets to me, weather its running or playing volleyball.
3. Yes I would recommend this to a friend. It has so many good quotes and building up things to say, that can really boost and strengthen your mental toughness.
4, Has a lot of imagery- (gamelike situations)
Also characterization (shows characters dreams and beliefs).
Neil Gaudet
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read sports nutrition books, sports technique and inspiration books, but I was searching for something else. Mind Gym fit the bill helping me to frame my mind around athletic pusuits. A short, easy read, I suspect Mind Gym would be helpful to any athlete.
Maddie
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend reading this book to any athlete who struggles with the mental side of the game. You learn about a lot of simple things you can do that can make a huge difference. Even an easy thing like thinking positive or visualizing yourself doing the task you wish to achieve.
David Zindler
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas for high school athletes to consider as they prepare tmemselves mentally for upcoming seasons.
Kapkeden2019f
Nov 08, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I would give this book five out of five stars. I think it is really important to stay mentally strong and trained. This book was also very easy to follow and connect with any sport a person could be playing. Each chapter was very broad, but had a large impact. Mind Gym also had anecdotes which made the mind lessons able to really stick with you and come to life. The last thing I really liked in this book was how it teaches the reader to know themselves. It makes you recognize and appreci ...more
Tyler Harries
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I read was called Mind Gym by Gary Mack with David Casstevens. This book was about overall the mental state of your mind and how to keep your brain and mind healthy. I really enjoyed this book because the book was very helpful for a good mindset, which is something I really needed to work on. Also, this book has so many perspectives on how to grow your mental strength, baseball, basketball, football, and almost all sports, and I thought that was another reason why this book was a really ...more
IanBonney
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind Gym, by Gary Mack review
This book is an excellent novel exploring the depths, challenges, and unique scenarios of mentality, and the power of having mental soundness. I found this book from one of my track trainers, who strongly encouraged us to read a novel on mental grit. This book is more informative than others, and doesn’t have main characters. Instead, it uses many different diverse scenarios that help illustrate different points. The narrator is the author himself, and he give
Kallie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My softball coach gave my team each our own book of this to read and I loved every part of it while reading, and I would read it a thousand times more. I give Mind Gym 5 stars. I liked this book specifically because all of the smaller stories in this book were very memorable, this book had a great lesson behind it. This book was also very thought provoking and made you think a lot while reading it.

This book had a lot of small stories from athletes and Gary Mack himself, which made th
Kate Schwarz
I bought and read Mind Gym to give me some insights into helping calm my son's (low-level) performance anxiety. I came away from the book with some tips, but wish there were more hands on tips from Mack... His book is chock full of short examples of athletes who "use their brain well" but very few examples--and no detailed examples that I can recall--of athletes who were anxious or nervous or whatever and then, through these techniques/process, helped. I wanted more in-depth details about athlet ...more
Jacob Negus
The book i read for this book review was mind gym.The book mind gym is a good book and it helps athletes a lot.i was recommended this book by one of my former basketball coaches who is a great coach still.this story is about how training your minds can improve and help your physical game as well.it also helps if you are a player,coach,or manager.the reason i like this book was for its help for sports.
The reason why it helps you in sports is because Gary Mack was a great team counselor and
Lauren Winkler
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read many "mental game" books, but I did have a hard time deciding which one to read because there are so many out there. It seemed overwhelming, and these are the type of books I can't stand having to finish if I don't like it.

I think this book is great for any athlete. It is not sport-specific, though the author gives a ton of examples of famous athletes. It is straightforward and very readable. The author also summarizes each short chapter with a few sentences that condenses the le
mental toughness 1 1 Oct 15, 2018 10:35PM
Clinical Psychology - Consult With The Best Psychologist In Delhi 1 1 Aug 31, 2018 12:23AM
15 Common Misconceptions About Psychiatric Treatment 1 1 Aug 31, 2018 12:22AM
Gym Membership management software 1 1 Aug 28, 2018 12:28AM
7 Myths About Gym Management Software 1 1 Aug 28, 2018 12:23AM
Gym Membership management software 1 1 Aug 22, 2018 11:51PM

• 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • Die Freiheit, frei zu sein
  • The Responsibility of Intellectuals
  • InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training
  • The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Humanity
  • Wer wir waren
  • Time Management Success Made Simple
  • Still Procrastinating: The No-Regrets Guide to Getting It Done
  • Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change
  • Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To
  • The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • Thrive Fitness: Mental and Physical Strength for Life
  • The Truth Matters: A Citizen's Guide to Separating Facts from Lies and Stopping Fake News in Its Tracks
“Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course: the space between your ears. —BOBBY JONES” 2 likes
“Talent is never enough. With few exceptions the best players are the hardest workers. —MAGIC JOHNSON” 2 likes