Start by marking “The Dragon and the Raven” as Want to Read:
The Dragon and the Raven

The Dragon and the Raven

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  753 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Unedited, unabridged, original format editions with original colored cover art, these Henty books reproduce the original in careful detail.

In this story the author gives an account of the fierce struggle between Saxon and Dane for supremacy in England, and presents a vivid picture of the misery and ruin to which the country was reduced by the ravages of the sea-wolves. Th

Published October 1st 2002 by Robinson Books (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon and the Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon and the Raven

Debbie Zapata
Number 10 on my Progressive Reading Challenge list, The Dragon and The Raven Or: The Day Of King Alfred is a story of England before it was England, back in the years when the Saxons were dealing with the marauding Danes in the mid- to late 800's. Our hero Edmund is just fourteen years old as the story opens, but he quickly becomes a man and a warrior, and we follow his adventures as he does his share in the battle for his
God and his country.

I was vaguely disappointed with the book for a couple
Steve Hemmeke
My first read of G.A. Henty’s 140 or so books, I came away somewhat satisfied.

The main character, fictional Edmund, is placed in the historical events of King Alfred’s early reign when the Danish Vikings were plundering and overrunning divided England. Edmund, through discipline of himself and his men, helps push back the Norsemen. He acts with honor and courage even when captured. He thinks ahead and plans wisely, fighting in defense of his country, but never for his own aggrandizement.

I read a
Rachel
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had so much fun listening to this with Ryan. :)
Jed Trott
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adolescent boys
I read a lot of Henty when I was around twelve. This is classic brit lit for boys jingoistic and sensational. Lots of fun if you are the right age.
Eustacia Tan
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
G.A Henty's stories are aimed at boys and are super patriotic, to the point of offending those that aren't British. As a result, all his heroes are blond boys. Thankfully, this is believable in The Dragon and the Raven, unlike The Cat of Bubastes (really, a blond boy in Ancient Egypt?). Apart from being suspiciously similar to English boys, his characters also approach the Gary Sue character, being brave and heroic and .. and ... zzzz. I actually read it more for the descriptions of the period o ...more
John Enfield
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book while wandering the aisles at my local library a few weeks ago. Sometimes, I don't go with a certain book in mind. I just walk passed the search computers (remember when you had to know how to use a card catalog?), and just start looking at books at random. I've stumbled across a few gems that I might have otherwise never even thought to search for in the computer.

The Dragon and the Raven artfully blends history and historical fiction in an entertaining way. It weaves a compell
Wendy Rabe
All I can say is: I'm so glad we're finally finished with this book. I have heard so many homeschoolers rave about G.A. Henty, and we have tried off and on over the years to read him. The problem is I just don't find him an inspiring writer. He includes so many details and descriptions that are not necessary, and none of them are the kind that make the reader's heart soar. Yes, we learned many facts about the battles between the Saxons and Danes, a glimpse of King Alfred, and a taste of life in ...more
momma.hailey
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Historical fiction from a biblical world view. Does it get any better?!? The Dragon and the Raven Dramatic audio (lamplighter publishing style) by G.A. Henty. We recently listened to this epic story of King Alfred of Wessex standing against the Danes as they invade England in the late 800s. I cannot recommend this enough. You don't be disappointed. My entire family listened (ages 1-39) and we all loved it......well.....the 1 year old napped during most of it.
Because_I'm_Batman
This was a book I had to read for school and I must say I enjoyed it, it was a nice story that told the history surrounding that time period in a fantastic way. It was a rather straight forward style of writing with okay dialogue, the further I got the more sucked in I was.
Bill Tillman
Great children's tale as told by one of the 19th century's great authors.
Nicole Clarkston
We have been loving GA Henty's books this year. (I do them with my kids.)

While I would have a hard time choosing a favorite story, I think I have to pick Alfred the Great as my favorite character. There are so many wonderful heroes of old we learn more of in Henty's rich stories- William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, King Harold II- I think I fell in love with Alfred the Great. He's my historical figure crush. I mean really, the guy was all that AND a bag of chips.

Alyssa Tabor
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoy these Heirloom Audio productions, especially these medieval British stories. This one has present application.
Anthony
I have heard lots of rave reviews about G.A. Henty's books, especially in home school education circles where his books are widely regarded as a great way to help children (especially boys) to enjoy learning about history. This was my first opportunity to read a Henty book, and I must say that solely based upon all the hipe I was disappointed by this book. I'm hopeful that I just didn't pick out one of his better works for my initial Henty read and plan to try again at least once more.

From what
Chuck
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic novel! I wish there was some way to introduce the current generation of young adult fiction readers to G A Henty's novels. Always exciting, and informative (with just enough historicity), and fun to read.
Kori
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A century ago Henty was the children's author of choice throughout the British Empire. His adventures were filled with great characters, perfect role models for British youth. The stories are well paced and give an interestign insight into Victorian England. They are also well written, fast paced adventures.

The Dragon and the Raven is a novel about the days of King Alfred. Like all Henty's books, this work aims at historical accuracy and reproduces the faith and concerns of the era. King Alfred
Penny
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, childrens
This is one of over a hundred books written by a Victorian historian G A Henty. This one follows a Saxon teenager called Edmund whose father is killed in battle when the Vikings overrun East Anglia. Edmund flees to the Kingdom of Wessex to join forces with the young King Alfred. Edmund is in many battles which at first the Saxon lose, then as he and young Alfred get talking they decide to use and adapt Roman warfare methods such at the 'turtle' and tight formations in wedge shapes. Edmund begins ...more
Scott Hayden
In 9th century England, Young Edmund desires a safe, productive life for his Saxon countrymen, but Danish marauders continually raid, murder, steal, and destroy. After watching his father die in battle, he comes under the influence of King Alfred and learns of ancient Roman military tactics as well as a new design for a fighting ship. With this new knowledge and a great deal of courage, he spends the next several years growing into manhood through the trials of the hopeful oppressed.

Edmund's spe
Tish
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1886 for young people, this is a relatively good account of the reign of King Alfred. I'm working through Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales and the two accounts have some amazing similarities. Both tell the story through a main character who is a young Saxon boy, orphaned son of a nobleman who, although young, becomes Alfred's go-to war leader in the long conflict with the Danes, using innovative military strategies to prevail against seemingly overwhelming odds. The hero also oversees t ...more
Jo
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely guilty of summarizing and telling, but since it covers 30+ years of history, it'd be a ridiculous epic if it showed us every last detail. My biggest problem is that our main character and our Only Female Character fall in love without us ever seeing why. But it was still an enjoyable book, especially since I read the introduction first. This revealed that Henty made up stories to tell his kids after dinner, and that historians have recognized the accuracy in Henty's histories (except ...more
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-10-and-up
I read this book when I was 12 years old. Henty books are rather on the "boyish book" side but many girls I know (including myself) enjoy them as well.

You can find many G. A. Henty books on LibriVox: https://catalog.librivox.org/search.p...

A friend of ours, Jim Hodges, has recorded many G. A. Henty books and we own them all and my brothers have listened to everyone of them. http://jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/
dragonnesswarrior
Here we go with Jim Hodges again. Hopefully, I'll be used to his accent by then. I've never read the book, but being interested in English history, asked for this for christmas.
It takes place in the days of King Alfred and the Viking Invasion so it should be an interesting book to listen to as all of G.A. Henty's books are.

Warning!: This can only play on an MP3 player, computer, or MP3 compatible cd player.
BJ Haun
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
An alright read. I thought the start of the book, which was a somewhat (I have no idea on the accuracy of the history in this book) historical book on the Danish invasion of England, namely the wars between the Saxons and the Danes, was pretty interesting. In the end, however, the book turns into "the main character and his merry band go forth and lay waste to an absurd number of Vikings." If you are looking for a old-timey swashbuckler, here you go.
Keenan
Great book. I like many others heard of it through a homeschooler that I'm friends with. After hearing of it I picked up a couple of books and liked them so I got this one. It really is a good way to learn the history between Danes and the Saxons. I have to agree that at times it sounded like a history book, but so what? I liked the constantly moving story and the many situations the main character was put into. I really enjoyed it.
Leila Bowers
This book is a bit bland - really interesting and dramatic portions of King Alfred's life are glossed over, while other minor points are overly developed, all while being painfully predictable. That said, it's a solid piece of literature to introduce young adults, in particular, to the life and times of Anglo-Saxon England under Alfred - but for adults looking for more engaging and well-written historical novels on early Anglo-Saxon England, I heartily recommend the Northumbrian Thrones series.
Bekka
A somewhat dry rendition of the events surrounding the Danish invasions during the time of Kind Alfred. The book is more about one of his nobility, Edmund, than about Kind Alfred. The book was first published in 1885, and was aimed solely at British boys, and subsequently has an imperial viewpoint. It's entertaining, as much for its reflection of its Victorian ideals as for the history of King Alfred.
Laura Verret
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: henty-ballantyne
Another great historical novel from Henty. I particularly appreciated the large amount of interaction between Edmund and his distressed maiden. (There was much more than is typical for a Henty novel). Set in a rioutous time, this book demonstrates that even younger adults can significantly impact their culture for the better.
Natasha
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only problem with reading quality literature as this is that lesser books are no longer appealing. Its a good thing Henty wrote so many! I look forward to expanding my knowledge of history with more of his (and like) novels. This adventurous tale, the Dragon and the Raven, with its undulating plot line, kept me intrigued throughout. A great book!
Faith Bradham
I thought that it was a good book, but I was irritated that he addressed it too his "dear lads". Why would he presume that only boys would read his books? I know that this is a nit-picky point and that he wrote it a long time ago, but still! Anyways, I did like it, but I thought it was a little stiff.
Audrey ~AudgPaudg~
I read this book for Literally Analysis class. The writing, it being written in the 1800s, was a bit slow and dragging, but the book picked up pace toward the end. I enjoyed the plot, and more specifically the personal subplot of Edmund's life. It was very interesting to read the wars of the Saxons and Danes. Three cheers, to King Alfred!
Curtiss
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical-novel
Another of Henty's historical novels in which the juvenile hero grows to maturity, faces adversity, encounters real-life heroes (in this case Alfred the Great, King of Wessex and England), and in the end wins renown - and the girl.
  • Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Bellarion
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Goodbye Is Not Forever
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • Riona (Fires of Gleannmara, #2)
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • Beorn the Proud
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...