Start by marking “The Complete Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt” as Want to Read:
The Complete Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt

The Complete Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt (Memoirs of Casanova #12)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,530 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published May 16th 2012 (first published 1789)

Diane Schuller I'm sorry to say this actually is the abridged version. Though there is another abridged version that is something like 2400 or 2600 pages. Honestly.

David
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Casanova famously replied to a woman who asked him what he sought, ‘A moment that lasts a lifetime.’

Although she flew past him she left an impression, an imprint, like no other. When he was writing his memoirs in old age, impoverished financially but rich in memories, she blazed back into life for him again, untarnished, forever young and forever his.

There’s an instinct to possess, and it’s a hard lesson to finally understand that nobody can possess anything, least of all another human being.

Cas
Jonathan
Sep 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The rating is for this edition and this translation. Not only is it so heavily edited as to remove any of the power of the original text, but the translator himself has admitted he "modernised" the language to make it "easier" for modern readers. Fuck you is what I say to that. And fuck Penguin.

Also fuck Penguin for this type of crap: http://www.penguin.com/static/html/cl...

Denis
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an extraordinary, exhilarating, brilliant book! Of course this is an abridged version: the original manuscript of Casanova's memoir takes 14 volumes, so who knows what amazing episodes are missing from this edition! But to be honest, the editors seem to have done a great job at patching all the present chapters together, and at explaining each times briefly what happens during the ones that have been cut: the fluidity of the book, as well as its comprehension, are therefore never a problem. ...more
Nick Ruffilo
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read the unabridged version of this book (Diaries of Casanova Vol 1-6) but I think its important to put this review here as I believe it will get the most exposure.

Critics hailed this as the best slice of 1700s culture throughout Europe and I have to agree.

What drew me most about the book was the nature in which it pulled me in. I mainly read psychology and business type books, so for me to get engrossed in a story is a rarity. On top of that - I'm usually not one for books more than
Shelly
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say that if I could have dinner with ten people - regardless of the time period - I would DEFINITELY want Giacomo Casanova there! He had adventure after adventure. I loved the story! It was a really wild ride. And the thing I liked most about it was it was so fresh and exciting - not your average book from the 1700s! This guy knew how to get what he wanted out of life. I recommend it highly.
محمد على عطية
صعلوك..مغامر..جسور..فاسق..داعر..نذل..عاهر..يصاب بالأمراض السرية أكثر من إصابته بالبرد...هذا هو كازانوفا, و لكن مذكراته تعطى لمحة عن الحياة فى أوروبا القرن الثامن عشر
Lina AL Ojaili
اهم حكمة كتبت فى مذكراته
انه يجب على الشخص ان يكون تقى
وان لم يستطع يتظاهر بالتقوى فى كل الاحوال
Robyn Blaber
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read old book, I don't often consider them to be "instructional". Any advice of a philosophical or scientific nature that has been written more than a few years ago is likely to contain assertions that are remarkable for their time, but laughable for our time. Casanova is not like this at all. His memoirs could be titled "Bad advice for a good life."

He has all qualities that a bad person would need. He keeps bad company. He drinks. He gambles. He falls in an out of love unimaginably quick
Brendan
Jul 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ben
It's just so good. Where else are you going to meet a complete dirt bag who can tell you everything about meeting Voltaire and Benjamin Franklin and who gets congratulated by doctors for giving people VD?

This version is very puritanical. The original is 1400 pages and this version is cut down to 400 and you will read dozens of pages about the food he ate and then in italics the authors will cut between chapters Casanova soon met a pair of sisters whom he pitted against each other in a threesome,
Melanie
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is the abridged version, it is a must read. Many people think Casanova was a romantic, which he was, but he was also a seducer of nuns, a thief, con-man, charlatan, and addict! After a visit to Venice I believed I needed to read about the man I'd heard of, in his own words. There is sex of course, but there is also humor, action, and adventure. I learned much about Italian history, geography, privilege, and politics all while thoroughly enjoying an entertaining - and yes, sensua ...more
L. W.
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The guy was an asshole pervert with no regard for females, but he was also genius. And I named my dog after him.
Marius
Utterly fascinating Memoirs, well deserving twelve volumes. By comparison, my boring life will barely occupy several sheets of paper.

My only regret is that I didn't have the means to acquire the unabridged edition, translated by William R. Trask. This 'Everymans' Library' is a heavily abridged edition, although on good paper and well-bound hardback. For instance, the last volume, consisting of 14 chapters, is not even included.
Marti
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
The entire story of Casanova's life is about seven volumes. After reading this edition -- which consists of what the editors think are the best parts -- I want to read the entire thing one day. It's hard to believe all of this is true as it reads more like an adventure novel. If you enjoyed the Diary of Samuel Pepys, Tom Jones, The Three Musketeers and other picaresque tales, you will definitely want to read this.

Casanova's name of course has become synonymous with flagrant womanizing, and there
Fuad Alsultan
Nov 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
مذكرات مملة جدا ،،
كنت عن سمعت الكثير عن اسم كازانوفا ومغامراته ،،
وكنت عن رسمت شخصية كاريزمية للرجل وعن سبله وطرقه في كسب الحب من حوله ،،
ولاكن لم أرى أي من الصفات التي كنت أخالها في هذه الشخصية ،،

الرجل مغامر ولعوب واراه لم يحب في حياته قط ،،
لم أرى قلب كازانوفا في اي من قصصه الغرامية ،، كل ما رأيت هي رغبات عارمة تحكم شخصية الرجل وتسير كل قراراته ،،
أمر مزعج جدا أن يكون رجل كا كازانوفا مثالا للعشق والحب في الاساطير ،،
وهو لمن يمكن سوى رجل اساء معاملة النساء بطريقة العيش التي اختارها لنفسه ،،

أرى أن ال
Katherine 黄爱芬
Buku ini adalah salah satu memoar dari Giacomo Casanova yg terkenal sbg perayu wanita paling terkenal dalam sejarah. Jadi boleh dibilang dlm novel ini hanya segelintir wanita saja yg benar² memberikan kesan pd petualangan Casanova ini.

Diawali pertemuannya dgn Henriette yg diajak (dan diakuinya) sbg istrinya, Casanova memanjakan wanita ini dgn seringnya mereka menonton opera. Bab berikutnya mengisahkan petualangan Casanova menaklukkan biarawati yg sebenarnya adalah simpanan seorang duta besar, y
Paul Phillips
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was an interesting read. Both what I expected and not what I expected. I will be travelling to Venice in a couple weeks and this book gave me perspective on the Venetian Republic in its twilight years. I found the humor in this book, though quite old, to still be funny today.
cindy
Apa yg tjd saat 12 jilid buku memoar dimutilasi 4 bagian kecilnya dan dijdkan 1 buku cerita? Gak ada isinya apa2. Bagian plg menarik buku ini malah adalah Catatan Akhir sepanjang bbrp puluh halaman di bagian akhirnya.
M. Milner
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about wild. Giacomo Casanova was well known in his lifetime, but even he likely couldn't have imagined how his infamy would grow over the next couple centuries. Even now, his name is familiar to people who have no idea he was actually a real person.

But, of course, he was real. An adventurer and professional gambler in his youth, Casanova ended his days as a librarian and writer. He wrote several books, including novels and part of the libretto for Mozart's Don Giovanni. His longest and most
Ciprian
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the begining if you are not ready to spend a lot of time reading an interesting story or if you get easily bored don't even try to begin to read this book.
It's a huge book, very interesting, where you can discover a big part of the world traditions.
Everyday Cassanova keeps our attention with a new story full of suspense.
Many difficult situations where he escapes from, but through what metods, we've never thought of. That's why the book is unique and sometimes the story brings us easily fro
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Casanova..

Seperti halnya ‘Don Juan’ yang telah menjadi istilah ‘tersendiri’ dalam berbagai bahasa. Menurut Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary Edisi ke-11 kata benda Casanova berarti:

‘Lover; a man who is promiscuous and unscrupulous lover’
‘Pecinta; Lelaki penganut pergaulan bebas dan pecinta tak setia’

Kehidupan seksnya penuh warna, bukan lagi satu lawan satu bahkan dia pernah dengan 2 orang perempuan sekaligus dalam satu ranjang. Ia pun pernah mencicipi hubungan homoseksual dengan lelaki yan
Bob Schnell
Giacomo Casanova's abridged autobiography (the full-length version is many volumes) is a fascinating, albeit frustrating, rollick through 18th century European society. From audiences with royalty to the horrors of an Inquisition prison, Casanova surely led the sort of libertine life most could only imagine. Along the way the sexual encounters for which he is most famous help us to understand his need to constantly be traveling, either running to or from his latest adventure.

My problem with the
Terry
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Unknown
I came to this looking for a quotation. This is not the edition I am reading, as mine appears to run much longer. I admit to being totally taken in by the author's charming and humble preface to his own work. I look forward to reading this on vacation and disappearing into the world of the 18th century--the courts of Louis XIV and Catherine the Great--through the eyes of one its truly notorious personalities.

I already love the preface, where the humble author professes Christian belief and in t
Celine
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Nombre des aventures de Casanova sont divertissantes et sa plume est très agréable à lire. Mais beaucoup de ses propos, bien que correspondants aux lieux communs de l'époque, sont plus que problématiques: sexisme, antisémitisme...
Pire, par goût de la provocation (et sans que cela ait pu forcément correspondre à des pratiques personnelles), Casanova va trop loin en banalisant et excusant l'inexcusable: inceste, goût pour les jeunes filles à peine pubères... Cela correspond pour beaucoup à une po
Nessie
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The greatest book I ever read! This book changed my outlook on life.. And I would never be the man I am now if I didn't read this while at secondary school. Casanova lived his life to the full, took every opportunity he was given, and flourished. He was a philosopher, an adventurer.. Though he tried to write novels and plays, his greatest achievement was in the life he led, and the autobiography he wrote..
William Dearth
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italian
Extraordinary Book! As much as I enjoyed Vol. 1 of the Memoirs of Duc De Saint-Simon, I enjoyed this even more. True, this is a 550 page abridged version "The Story of My Life", but it is not wanting in content.

There is much more to Casanova than his legendary love affairs. There is an abundance of relevant 18th century history here and, for the most part it is a genuine page turner. Excellent.
Irka
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Przyjemna i szybka lektura, zabawne jak wiele rzeczy Casanovie wychodziło przypadkiem, np. przypadkiem trafił do więzienia i przypadkiem z niego uciekł; przypadkiem zainteresowała go jedna siostra, a nim zainteresowało się wszystkich pięć :)
Alicia May
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New drinking game: shots every time Casanova compares a sexual encounter to flowers! Result: hammered! (Pun intended)
J.L. Dobias
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of victorian romance and histories
Shelves: book-shelf-11
The Complete Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt

(The boy who never grew up)

I purchased what appeared to be an incomplete copy of this on Amazon and then went to the Gutenberg site to find the full 29 episodes of which one is rather incomplete. It comes with a warning:

[Transcriber's Note: These memoir's were not written for children, they may outrage readers also offended by Chaucer, La Fontaine, Rabelais and The Old Testament. D.W.]Giacomo Casanova. The Complete Memoirs of Jacques Casanov
Nada Gamal
Ra23a ....:D
Molecol
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Casanova ci racconta le vicissitudini della sua vita giovanile e noi possiamo conoscere un ragazzo molto arguto e riconoscente verso chi dimostra di prendere a cuore la sua situazione. Passionale, si dedica con la massima intensità a trovare il modo di raggiungere l'oggetto dei suoi desideri.
E' dotato di uno spiccato senso dell'onore, odia i furti e le furberie, tranne nei casi di estrema necessità. Sempre pronto a mutare in allegria il malumore alla prima occasione.
Mi misi a tavola col broncio
  • Quantas Madrugadas Tem a Noite
  • Letters from Prison
  • Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair
  • Italian Journey
  • Wonderful Adventures of Mrs. Seacole in Many Lands
  • Os Três Casamentos de Camilla S.
  • Parábola do Cágado Velho
  • A Varanda do Frangipani
  • Pelle di leopardo
  • El País del Carnaval
Giacomo Girolamo Casanova de Seingalt was a Venetian adventurer and author. His main book Histoire de ma vie (Story of My Life), part autobiography and part memoir, is regarded as one of the most authentic sources of the customs and norms of European social life during the 18th century.

He was so famous as a womanizer that his name remains synonymous with the art of seduction and he is sometimes ca
More about Giacomo Casanova

Memoirs of Casanova (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Venetian Years
  • Histoire de ma vie : Texte intégral du manuscrit original suivi de textes inédits, tome 2
  • Military Career

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
  • Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“The sweetest pleasures are those which are hardest to be won.” 75 likes
“Beauty without wit offers nothing but the enjoyment of its material charms, whilst witty ugliness captivates by the charms of the mind, and at last fulfils all the desires of the man it has captivated.” 46 likes