Start by marking “The Bubble Wrap Boy” as Want to Read:
The Bubble Wrap Boy

The Bubble Wrap Boy

Charlie Han's troubles are way bigger than he is. At school, he's branded an outsider, a loser - the tiny kid from the Chinese Chippy. His only ally is Sinus Sedgely, the only lad in school with a worse reputation than Charlie himself. Life at home isn't much better. His dad is better with a wok than he is with words, and his mum is suffocating the life out of Charlie, wra ...more
Published May 1st 2014 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Bubble Wrap Boy, please sign up.

Hélène Louise
What I prefered in this book was the sens of humor, given by the author to his main character, Charlie. I laughed quite a lot, especially in the beginning. In the end the story becomes more serious. If I could I probably would have given 3,5 stars to this read.

As an exception there isn't any love-story in this YA book. The relations are between Charlie and his parents, and between Charlie and his only friend, Sinus. The second relation maybe the more interesting in my point of view.

The story is
E.
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kijk, voor dit soort boeken doe ik het nou. Die onbekende titels lezen. Dit was een heerlijk verhaal en zou veel meer gelezen mogen worden!
Melissapalmer404
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #119 Read in 2015
The Bubble Wrap Boy by Phil Earle

Charlie is known at school at the little, clumsy kid. His mother is very overprotective and won't let him do anything. Needless to say, Charlie's newfound love of skateboarding would not meet Mom approval so he hides it from her. He soon learns that his mother has been hiding one heck of a secret from him. Will the discovery of secrets bring this family closer together or tear them apart? This is an excellent book for middle schoolers. I rec
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I absolutely adored The Bubble Wrap Boy by Phil Earle. I thought it was fun, funny and also really emotional and heart-wrenching. I've been a fan of Phil Earle's right from the beginning and even aimed at a slightly younger audience and with less edgy content, this is still an incredible book filled with characters and relationships that I really connected to on an emotional level.

I started this book, I have to admit, a little bit unsure. The other three books I'd read by Phil Earle have all be
Juwi
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
you can read my full review here: http://www.spinebreakers.co.uk/sp_rev...

this is my first phil earle book and i really enjoyed it. like i didn't know what to expect but yeah.

first of all it's set in the UK so yay. secondly, the main character s British Chinese so yay a POC character!

this book is about friendship, discovering who you are and what you're capable of, family and bullying. although there were lots of themes but not much was resolved like the bullying was horrible yet not dealt wit
Laurel
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Charlie Han is a 14 year old, oddly small, clumsy, loser. At least thats what the kids at school think. He only has one friends, a boy named Sinus Sedgely, who has a huge nose, and is almost weirder than Charlie himself. Charlie also has troubles at home, because his mom is a control freak, suffocating him and watching over everything Charlie does. Charlie's dad lets his wife run the house, so he isn't any help to Charlie.
Charlie's parents own a Chinese takeout restaurant by the name of Special
Eve beinguniquebooks
Charlie is a teenage, Chinese boy whom lives his life as his parents only child, but overly protected still by his mum, the way she sneaks off and goes to evening classes all the time arouses suspicion in Charlie over where she really goes.

He wants to skate though despite knowing his mum would disapprove and he is very clumsy as well and when she finds out, the skate park kids and his best friend Sinus end up dubbing him bubble wrap boy after an incident.

Eventually, Charlie's mum's secret is out
Deb Sheridan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Bubble Wrap Boy is a realistic fiction about a Chinese boy named Charlie Han and the troubles he faces socially and within his own family. We learn quickly that Charlie's daily life is difficult at best, and he regularly struggles to avoid humiliation. He feels extremely alone since his only friend is a boy named Sinus who is also treated like a social outcast. The author does an excellent job of creating empathy for the main character.
Although I found the beginning of the story slow to deve
Kim
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charlie is a small Chinese teenage boy who is struggling to fit in and has an overprotective mother who isn't considerate of his feelings. He finally discovers skateboarding and meets new people. I enjoyed the book and the literacy devices throughout the book. I did struggle when the boys wrapped him in plastic bubble wrap, he couldn't move, and had difficulty breathing. I thought that was a little much, but it will keep young reads intrigued. I appreciated Charlie's determination and perseveran ...more
Sarah Wence
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I loved the complexity of the characters, and how their relationships entwined. The author does use a couple foul words here and there, but mainly just the word "ass". I thought the themes were beautifully expressesed. Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to 6th and 7th graders.
Helena
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Charlie Han is being smothered by his mother - not allowed to do anything on his own. Charlie discovers his talent for skateboarding and is passionate about it, but must hide this from his mother. Sinus his friend stares at walls..... yes really - weird until we are told what his passion is.
A story of friendships and overcoming bullies and challenging beliefs.
Fatin Nabila ⚡️
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
At last! Omg screw my reader’s block isk isk. It’s took me almost month to finish this book!

“If there’s a saying I do believe in, it’s this:
Everyone’s good at something.”

Honestly I love this book! The conflict is very simple yet the impact of it is very powerful! Everything about this book is beautifully written 🌸
Mrs M
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book about determination and prejudice - the hero wins through in the end and learns some valuable lessons about friendship and loyalty along the way!
Amy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Really good but a bit cringey at times
Dylan Thomas
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is amazing and wicked wiht lots of savageness level MAX
Mathilde / Ikvindlezenleuk
Lees mijn recensie op Ikvindlezenleuk: https://www.ikvindlezenleuk.nl/2015/0...
Nathan
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was aaaalmost a 4 star review for me. Problem is... it took me over half the book to warm up for Charlie. I found him selfish and unlikable... and that's a hard place to be with a first person narrator. However, the ending is full of heart and truly great moments. It's with the read!
Abigail
Oct 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF
Charlie30
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
The book I read, The Bubble Wrap Boy, has a few main characters like these:

Charlie is a small 13 year old boy. He is small because he has a growing disorder. Kids at his school call him “the Chineses midget.” He wants to skateboard but his mom would never allow it. He is an only child. He lives above the chinese restaurant his parents own. He does deliveries for the restaurant on a big metal tricycle called “the rhino” because it is so heavy.
Dan and Stan are best friends. They are calm, cool, a
Cmrice
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Plot:

Charlie is an unusually small 14-year-old boy who feels he has no real talents. He is known as an outsider or a “weird kid,” much like his friend Linus (more commonly known as Sinus because of his large nose). The two are known as the outcasts/losers at their school, and even though they are friends, Sinus is unsupportive and rude and doesn’t reveal much of himself to Charlie. After an embarrassing incident at the school play, Charlie resolves to learn how to skateboard and become more popu
Jack Carl
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirsty
Put quite simply I adored this book. I read it in one sitting unable to put it down and went from chuckling away one minute to being close to tears with a lump in my throat the next. Phil Earle has pulled it out of the bag again and written a gorgeous book which I won't be able to help but recommend far and wide to all who will listen.

The bubble wrap boy is a book about Charlie. I adored Charlie. He's a short lad who is ridiculously clumsy with an over protective mother who drives him bananas.
Shaz Goodwin
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Phil Earle has done it again!

I’ve enjoyed Phil Earle’s novels (Being Billy (2011), Saving Daisy (2012) and Heroic (2013) which have all been ‘keepers’ for me) so I was excited when I was offered The Bubble Wrap Boy to review. Did it live up to my high expectations?

Charlie’s clumsiness is evident on stage during the school production of Romeo and Juliet although to be fair, if the sword … Sinus is waiting for him after Charlie’s cleared the stage and we find out that both boys are ‘outcasts’ from
Raghav
Bubble Wrap Boy by Phil Earle is a great story about relationships, adversity and perseverance. I think the meaning of this book is that no matter what things you find out, what you are and who you are, you should always continue in life without changing yourself. This is exemplified in many areas in the book especially when Charlie(the main character) finds out one of his mom's greatest secrets. Even though Charlie found out this inconceivable secret, he put it behind himself and continued on h ...more
Barbara
Fourteen-year-old Charlie Han is looking desperately for a way to fit in. After all, no one wants to be considered a loser or as simply that short Chinese kid. When he thinks he's found it in skateboarding, he hides his practice sessions and passion from his over-protective mother. Still, he underestimates the woman who follows him to the park and humiliates him when he dares to try out some dangerous tricks. His tenuous acceptance among the skaters quickly evaporates, and Charlie has only one f ...more
Nayan
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the life of a boy named Charlie Han. Charlie Han is a boy who is Chinese heritage. This means his parents are from China but he is not. Throughout this book Charlie Han is bullied. His parents own a Chinese restaurant and he is the delivery boy. Then he gets into skateboarding and gets a skateboard from his friends brother. His mom does not know he even had the skateboard. So he hides it from her. When he was going to deliver some food he took it out and put two bags of food o ...more
Beth
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I started this book I had mixed feelings as it didn't immediately grab me in the way Heroic did. I thought at first that it was quite far-fetched and couldn't understand why Charlie's Mum & Dad behaved the way they did with him. Also I didn't really get Sinus either and he even annoyed me a little. I pushed myself past the first few chapters and when it got to chapter 7 and Charlie sees a lad skateboarding while doing his deliveries the story suddenly seemed to come alive and I raced th ...more
Deb
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
A grade 5 -8th middle school read...both my 7th grade son and I liked this book. Main character, Charlie, has a sense of humor that made us chuckle from time to time...though there are moments of seriousness with the tougher subject matter of teasing, bullying and death.

Charlie Han gives hope and motivation to any child who has ever been teased or felt an outsider. He is known at school at the little guy, a clumsy kid. If only he could find that one thing that he's really good at perhaps then h
Mrs. Strudthoff
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charlie has a few problems fitting in at school. First, he is very short, abnormally short. Second, his best friend Sinus (so nicknamed because of his gigantic nose) is probably the strangest kid in school. Third, his mother would win the contest for the most over-protective mother in history. Because of all of these problems, Charlie is bullied daily.

Sinus gives him some advice: Charlie needs to find out what his passion is. Charlie discovers what it is--skateboarding! But how is he going to ge
Adele Broadbent
Charlie Han is sick of being short. He’s sick of the jokes, the sayings and the fact that he is practically invisible at school (high school), except to be known as the short Chinese kid. He’s clumsy too, causing no end of disasters, so some kids even think he is special needs. It doesn’t help that his only friend (Sinus) is odd, staring at walls for ages and hardly speaking to anyone – even Charlie.
Charlie wants to find something he can stand out with, and he decides it’s going to be skateboard
  • Wasted
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Mouse Bird Snake Wolf
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Toppling
  • The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones
  • Othergirl
  • Chasing Augustus
  • Coco: My Delicious Life (Lotus Lane, #2)
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
  • The Ostrich and Other Lost Things
  • The Third Mushroom
  • Immortal Remains (Weirdsville, #2)
  • The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits, #1)
  • A World Between Us
  • Slay
Phil was born in Hull in 1974, and he studied English and Drama at Hull University. He worked for a year as a carer in a children’s home, then after training as a drama therapist, he worked in a therapeutic community in London, which cared for multiply abused adolescents. Then, changing tack completely, he chose a marginally more sedate life as a children’s bookseller. It was here that he develope ...more