Start by marking “The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World” as Want to Read:
The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World

The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World

As Daniel Baylis approached his 30th birthday, he asked himself a tough question: Who's at the steering wheel of my life? The verdict came back unclear, so he decided to take immediate action. He gave up his job and his rent-controlled apartment to tackle one of his biggest dreams - to travel the world. With an objective to not only see places but also to experience them, ...more
Published 2013 by Sparks Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Traveller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traveller

Start your review of The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World
Emily Auger
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: 9f142656@opayq.com
I found this one on a Kobo at a one-day special price. I'm about half way through and so far it is a fascinating, very readable account of a young (Canadian) man's journey around the world. Not about drugs, violence, and the other usuals (at least not so far). All about the author's real-life goal-oriented adventure and the life-styles and people he found at the 12 stops he made in 12 different countries. ... finished the other day. Excellent from start to finish. Highly recommended, especially ...more
Christopher
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Baylis’ book The Traveller is a trip – literary and figuratively.

At the end of 2010, this young writer put all of his worldly possessions in storage and took off on a self-directed voyage around the world. He visited 12 countries in 12 months, looking for meaningful ways to engage with the local communities. All throughout, he wrote about his (mis)adventures and they are collected here in this book – one chapter for every country visited.

Daniel does a great job of letting us inside his jo
Lori Gia
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember following Daniels travel blog as he was traveling. I would stay up reading his letters home or his vlogs and would forget all about studying for my mid terms. I remember really feeling his emotions bcuz he was so personal w his journal entries. It felt like it was me traveling.then a couple years later, he writes this book. I read it over two long flights. I didn't put it down for one second. Never fell asleep. Never listened to music. It was just me and DB for 8 hours. I remember I d ...more
A Randall
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For me, the sign of a good book is when I don't want it to end. Last night I put it down with only two pages to go. I wanted to savor the last few lines. I love travel books that are honest. Because travel is not all rosy. Daniel is honest and funny. I laughed out loud at the black fly incident for one. Felt compassion for every travelers worst nightmare: bed bugs. Notes from an Imperfect Journey around the world is inspiring. As Daniel wrote "be brave and go or at least fake braveness and go"
Lee Sullivan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No recommendations for dinner or suggestions for weekend sightseeing. This is not traditional travel writing.

The Traveller is one man's perfect "imperfect" account of the experience of travel itself.
Alicia Savage
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Insightful, heart -felt, at times laughing out loud, and honest. A must have reference to anyone that dreams of adventure or travel. In addition - I'm a huge fan of Daniel's writing style - his style is very conversational as if you are hearing his words out loud while reading.
Suzanne Gabriel
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really REALLY enjoyed this book.
I live vicariously through these adventures.
Well-written and wonderful.
William R. J. Ribeiro
Nice little book! I specially liked the jokes, the bowel movements parts made me LOL. Well done.
Annie Quinty
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Baylis is a gifted storyteller. This book is for anyone who has dreamed of going around the world and others :)
Candice Walsh
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Exactly the kind of inspiration I needed to read before setting out on my trip. Loved it!
Faizel
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book before starting my own journey (though not around the world). It was an inspiring read and Baylis is a wonderful storyteller-as I read the book, I had vivid images in my mind of what he described. It was an easy book to read and a hard book to put down.
Thanks for making your very personal journey accessible to the rest of us!
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book isn't poorly written (although there were a few typos and missed words), but the guy is the most pretentious, irritating type of traveller. The kind who looks down on others who don't travel his way and is kind of a jerk to them. Who "jokes" about traveller points when it comes across pretty clearly that he actually kind of really cares about that kind of thing. I constantly felt that he cared about how trip would look and give him cred than whether it was enjoyable.

And the thing that
Bryanna Plog
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The Traveller is an enjoyable read with good humor and the honest musing of the author and traveler, Baylis. While the reader doesn’t learn much about the places Baylis travels to, we are able to experience the highs and lows of a year-long trip around the world. While occasional Baylis gets a bit whiny and we wonder if his way of traveling the world is really a good one, the book zips along and is recommended for anyone looking to spend a few months or years on the move.
Eveli
Sep 04, 2018
Kristy Hirt
Nov 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Singapore Noir
  • God Hammer (Demon Accords, #9)
  • Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay
  • Bangkok Tattoo (Sonchai Jitpleecheep #2)
  • Children of the Revolution (Inspector Banks, #21)
  • Rogues (Demon Accords #10)
  • Watching the Dark (Inspector Banks, #20)
  • Abattoir Blues (Inspector Banks, #22)
  • Behind Closed Doors: Life, Laughs and Football
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television
  • Las Vegas Noir
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Black Frost (Demon Accords, #3.5)
  • Brung Up Proper
  • When the Music's Over (Inspector Banks, #23)
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
Daniel Baylis is a writer and photographer. He holds a degree in Human Relations from Concordia University, has planted more than 250,000 trees, and has a penchant for physically-demanding adventures. Daniel is the author of The Traveller: Notes from an Imperfect Journey Around the World, and has contributed to such publications as Fast Company, the Globe & Mail, and The Guardian. Daniel is the re ...more

News & Interviews