Start by marking “The Starter Wife” as Want to Read:
The Starter Wife

The Starter Wife

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  17,897 Ratings  ·  534 Reviews
there are starter jobs. starter cars. starter houses. and then there are starter wives.From the bestselling author of "Maneater" comes "The Starter Wife," a sexy, savvy, and wickedly funny novel about life after divorce and one woman redefining herself after years of marriage to a Hollywood studio head.

When her husband Kenny dumps her by cell phone mere months before their
Published May 24th 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Starter Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starter Wife

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
Best chicklit
723 books — 1,098 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Unwanted Wife by Natasha AndersThe 19th Wife by David EbershoffThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy TanThe Paris Wife by Paula McLain
Wives
181 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Tammy
Jun 12, 2007 rated it did not like it
My first thought is that this book was intended for an audience that did not include me.

This book was not as enjoyable as I wanted it to be. The structure of narrative was somewhat halting because there were commas all over the place. I understand that it was a narrative, and we all think in long sentences, but the numerous commas and no periods was a little excessive. One thought would abruptly jump into the next in the same sentence.

If you know a lot of famous names, then maybe you'll like th
Denise
I admit it, I totally fell into the hype - the endless self-promo on USA and little plugs all over the place. Just enough so that you knew Debra Messing was in it and that she got dumped and nothing more. I watched the two-hour premiere of the "television event of the summer" and got hooked. I can't deny that I have a thing for the under appreciated woman who has to find her perfect soulmate before the end of the cinematic or literary event. Who doesn't want the happy ending and the shining knig ...more
Lauren
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, chick-lit
I bought this book five years ago, thinking that the story looked interesting, the cover was cute, and that I’d read it and immediately Netflix the TV show right after, since I had a “thing” for Debra Messing ever since I first watched Will & Grace.

Long story short, I never read it. It was one of those books that I always intended to read; I toted it around with me to school and back home for three semesters in a row, but I never got around to actually reading it. On my recent trip to New Yo
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Elissa
Jun 25, 2009 marked it as unable-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
Gave up - not because it was bad, but I just wasn't invested enough (I have too many other books to read to continue something I am not enjoying fully).
Maggie
Jun 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Psycho chicks who want to relate
Shelves: chic-lit
Kelly
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't mind this book as I was reading it, but a few months later and I've come to realize I really didn't like it that much at all. The main character wasn't bad, and the side characters were okay, but the sequence of events were too unrealistic for me to actually buy it. A woman whose husband leaves her for a newer model? Sure, I can buy that. She goes on a date with her husband's boss? That's funny and I like where it's going. Until it doesn't go there at all.

(view spoiler)
Keris
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Katie Kenig
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
Do you ever feel sorry for those poor, poor wives of rich men? You know, the ones who have so many awful appointments every day for getting their hair done and meeting with their personal trainers and decorators. It's so incredibly stressfull to have to look beautiful all the time. what responsibility they shoulder!

Okay, so it's pretty obvious that I don't have a lot of sympathy for their plight, and I think you kind of have to in order to read this book without rolling your eyes. The poor heroi
Erica
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Britt Lovelady
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a good, escapist book, if you overlook the fact that it is very unrealistic. Gracie, the “starter wife,” gets dumped over her cell phone by her sleazy, egotistical husband but then soon falls for a guy she meets on the beach named Sam, who she later discovers is homeless, but no matter; she sleeps with him anyway. I could overlook that bit of unrealism, but I thought it was annoying that the book never once mentioned her going to see a lawyer about the divorce. And it wrapped up a littl ...more
Alisa Raymond
ok so in a moment of desperation when i couldn't get to the library i picked this up at the grocery store because like i said i like to compare books that have been made into movies or television. Let me just say it wasn't all that bad. It definitely had a message hidden in there. But it is much better then the mini-series that is on right now.
Kari
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Why do I so enjoy books about rich, morally bankrupt people? No idea. Bring on the next one!
Ramona
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book. It was funny and witty and I can't wait to read others by her!
Sharon Jones
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good summer read...
Laurie Hoppe
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A frothy roman à clef about The Wife of a Producer who suddenly, unexpectedly finds herself left behind. The writing is sharp and witty and her problems are the kind you wish you had (Will I lose the florist I have on retainer to my ex-husband? Did the valet who parked my car at lunch know about my husband's affair before I did? Where will I live, because I can't stay in my friend's Malibu seaside home forever?), so you can zip through it feeling entertained, not weighed down by empathy.

Taken o
Sandra Thea Christina
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, it has simple and straightforward plot. But i find it awkward seeing characters like britney spears or brad pitt along the line. Nonetheless, it's light read and something you can grab at the beach or in front of a pool.

Verdict: don't mind buying a copy, just borrow from a friend.
Julie
Nov 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Had somewhat of a sense of what I was getting myself into while I started reading, but I honestly cannot finish this. It wasn't even the main character, but more so the writing style. Not a lot of dialogue, just a lot of exposition, which made it a bland read.
Michelle
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Juvenile. Didn't finish.
Amy Blair
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A different twist to the divorcee romance novel. I liked it!
Donna Francisco
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found the character relatable and likable but over all I thought the book was too long and too predictable.
Elle Esse
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Original Post: http://elleayess.blogspot.com/2013/07...

Warning: SPOILERS!!!

[I read this in 2009 - I'm not quite finished with my newest non-fiction book yet but will hopefully review i next week. So here's an oldie but a goodie]

What is this story mostly about?
From Amazon: When her husband Kenny dumps her by cell phone mere months before their ten-year wedding anniversary, Gracie Pollock finds herself reeling. Though her nine-year role as the wife of a semifamous Hollywood studio executive often
Jennie
I bought this a few years ago during one of B&N’s clearance sale online. I adore Debra Messing so when I saw she was staring in the TV show based on this book; I added that into my bag lickety split. Once the new wore off I somewhat lost this book on my shelves – it just didn’t stand out to me. Recently when I was feeling the beginning of a book rut I picked this up because it had been around for so long. While it wasn’t earth shatteringly good – it was an escape book into a world I never pl ...more
Lex
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because of the popular television mini-series based off the book that Kate and I ate up a few years ago. The show was true to the book being witty, entertaining, and having an air of exaggerated truthfulness. In Hollywood, a wife of an ok studio executive gets a call from her husband saying he wants a divorce. Now, Gracie is an ex-wife, an outcast of the major Hollywood elite society. She loses everything, except the three loyalists of friends - a gay designer, the older cy ...more
Kaitie
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Hollywood, Reality TV, and the life of the rich & famous.
Recommended to Kaitie by: TV Series
I actually enjoyed the short-lived TV series and then decided to read the book after I was disappointed that they cancelled the TV show. Well, the book and the TV series are not at all alike and I would not suggest reading the book if you're only trying to satisfy your fix for a show you can no longer see. The show basically just took the names and the very base concept from the book, and that was it.

I can see why many people give this book a low rating and why it is bashed. This book is not so
Angie
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Synopsis: "When her husband, Kenny, dumps her by cell phone (!) mere months before their ten-year wedding anniversary, Gracie Pollock is dazed and confused. Though life as the wife of a semi-famous Hollywood studio executive often left her yawning, Gracie always believed she and Kenny were different from other Hollywood couples. She never thought she'd be a starter wife.

But Kenny has upgraded, and with images of his new pop tartlet girlfriend everywhere Gracie turns, she seeks refuge at her be
Linda
Christina
Dec 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads, fiction
I originally picked up The Starter Wife because I had seen the first two television adaptation episodes on USA with Debra Messing. I bought the book during a layover at an airport and immediately threw the book down after the first two chapters.

I picked the book up again because I caught the first episode on USA again and I wanted to give it another shot to decide if I should get rid of it or keep it on my bookshelf.

The first three chapters are pretty doggone boring but if you can get past those
Donna
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Gracie Pollock always thought that her husband, Kenny and she were the perfect Hollywood couple and different from the rest. But she finds out differently. Just mere months before their 10th wedding anniversary, Kenny calls her on her cell phone and asks for a divorce. She is left dumbfounded. She had grown accustomed to the cushy lifestyle of the Hollywood set and the fabulous clothes. And, what was this going to do to their 3 year old daughter, Jaden?

It seemed Kenny had moved on to other and y
  • The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder
  • Wolves in Chic Clothing
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • The Ivy Chronicles
  • Conversations With the Fat Girl
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • Frenemies
  • Momzillas
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • See Jane Date
  • The Cinderella Pact
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Lipstick Jungle
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • The Next Big Thing
  • The Smart One and the Pretty One
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
112028
Gigi Levangie Grazer is the author of three prior novels, including The After Wife and the New York Times bestseller The Starter Wife, which was adapted as a miniseries for USA Network.

She is a coauthor of the screenplay for Stepmom and has written for Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, and other publications. Levangie lives in Los Angeles with her two children and one miniature dachsund.
More about Gigi Levangie Grazer...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland