Start by marking “Drop Dead Gorgeous (L.A. Vamps, #1)” as Want to Read:
Drop Dead Gorgeous (L.A. Vamps, #1)

Drop Dead Gorgeous (L.A. Vamps #1)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Derek Randall had it all – fame, fortune and a woman he was pretty sure he was falling in love with. Until he winds up dead.

Now he’s a vampire, learning the ins-and-outs of his powers with the help of some of his nicer ‘brothers’. It’s not all bad, even with a Sire like Madeline, up to the point he’s told he can never see Clara again – not if he doesn’t want Madeline to ki
ebook
Published by Temptress Press (first published December 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Drop Dead Gorgeous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drop Dead Gorgeous

Alice
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4.25 “I am crazy about you." stars

Derek has it all, a great modelling career, and a girl he is falling for. Then, he is murdered. He becomes a vampire. It’s not what he ever wanted; it is no longer safe to see Clara, as Madeline has killed those his brothers have loved before...

Clara was progressing up her career ladder, and having a budding relationship with Derek. Derek is kind and caring, and makes her comfortable in her own skin. When Derek goes missing, and she doesn’t accept the advances
Sophie
Derek was a well known model and Clara was his new girlfriend when tragedy striked and he ended up dead. Or actually undead... Derek was turned by Madeline into a vampire and now he is supposed to stay hidden, but he can't seem to stay away from Clara and things get messy when they meet again..

Drop Dead Gorgeous was a PNR book that had plenty of potential, but sadly there were some details I couldn't ignore and they took the pleasure of reading this out of me. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn'
Alice Osborn
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Drop Dead Gorgeous by Suki McMinn starts off slow with a depressed young woman, Clara Devereux, who is mourning her dead lover, Derek Randall, but then quickly builds into a sexy and funny vampire tale. Set in L.A. among the model industry, McMinn takes the best elements of the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mystery Series and melds them into her own with wit, details and sharp plot elements. Clara has only known male model Derek over a romantic weekend before he is whisked away into vampire ...more
Cathy Faulkner
Read this book over a couple of days - excellent story, good take on modern day vamps, who do mundane things like laundry. Straight into the story from the first page - no long build-up, story has some tense moments.

Love the insight into how Derek is struggling with his new life and what he is capable of.

Fab, book.
FicCentral
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
centralpickshijackedbyysar

ReasonsToRead
Sometimes things come together perfectly.  You meet the perfect guy.  He's gorgeous, famous, and wealthy, and in a few short days, you start building what could very well be a love that lasts forever.  And then  a greedy, sadistic vampire comes along, kills him, and turns him into one of her kind.  Not exactly the happy ever after Clara was hoping for.

Clara is devastated.  They only had a short time together, but Derek was quickly becoming her everything.  And since his death, things have compl
Kitlina
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*A copy was provided by the author for an honest review.*

What a good start to a new series.
I have been waiting for this book to come out and it didn't disappoint.
I loved the new twists on the old vampire myth. Suki has managed to bring something new and exciting to the whole vampire agenda and I'm so glad about it.
The whole thing was beginning to be tiresome and a breath of fresh air is always well appreciated.

I loved the characters. Derek is an awesome boyfriend and so cute in his new vampire s
Dorte Birch
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Suki McMinn created a great new universe where the vampires aren`t hundreds of years old but newly made and for cruel reasons (won`t go into why they were made because it would be a major spoiler but the reason is very interesting and new to the genre).

Derek and Clara had just met and fallen in love when he was turned into a vampire. He`s supposed to stay away from Clara but he just can`t. And she can`t stay away from him. The book is about how they deal with the threat Derek now is to Clara an
Linda
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As reviewed on Read Our Lips:

Clara met the man of her dreams, had a whirlwind love filled weekend with him, just to live through the despair when he first vanishes during a hiking trip, and later is found dead on the trail.
Sacked from her job, feeling bad with depression, she must be hallucinating seeing Derek again? Has she lost it all?
Derek was abducted and turned against his will, just when hed met Clara. Now that hes supposed to stay away from his old life, he finds himself unable to stay a
Tracey
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one day - I just couldn't put it down! I love this girl's stories, anyway, and this one didn't disappoint.

Although I love me some bad boy vamps, even I have to admit the market is flooded with bloodsuckers nowadays. DDG, however, put a fresh new spin on this (sadly) overworked genre. No details from me so as not to spoil the book for others, but let me say there were some plot points that I thought were refreshingly original and added a whole new element to vampire romance.

A
Amanda
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seriously finished this book in less that 1 day and I did not want it to end. Normally, Im not much of a vampire person, but I love the passionate settings you've made so vividly clear that I can literally see them like a movie in my head. I would only be more than happy to read the second book, Die Laughing, when it comes out.

This was beautifully written and had just enough of a twist in it to keep me reading.
Anne - Books of My Heart
I know and love this author as a person and from her earlier works on fanfiction. I'm so excited to have her writing books now. I did my best to give an honest review, no matter my bias towards her.

Here is my review on Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks which includes an interview with the author:

Layla
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Clara meets a sexy model on the sandy beaches of Santa Barbara and their whirlwind romance comes to a tragic end when Derek is killed. Clara soon discovers that Derek isn't dead, well not finally dead, but has been made vampire.

I love Ms. McMinn's take on the vampire world. It's fun, sexy and action packed.
Irene
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr
Fine first novel by a veteran fan fic writer. Characters are amiable, writing is clear, plot moves quickly.
Needs some more world building. Good beginning to series.
Melissa
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: january
This book is a good debut effort for McMinn, but in my opinion left a lot to be desired.

The story is compelling enough in the blurb from the book, but the plot fell flat.

The vampire myth in these stories is not that much different from the generic vampire myth in pop-culture, which I felt was a lack of imagination. There is practically no conflict between the main characters, and it leaves their relationship feeling too easy and hard to relate to; not to mention the whirlwind timeline of their
Lori J
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. That's the first thing that came to mind when I decided to add this to my 'read' list and review it. I like the descriptions and the first 1/3 of the book was good. The last 2/3 however were not as enjoyable. It's a Vampire romance so you should know what you're getting into. I rolled my eyes a lot at the romantic aspects of this book. She'd only known him 5 days and was already head over heels. Ugh.
Marta
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting plot, but not my type of vampire book. The characters were ok, but I felt the romance was rushed. The two MC's only knew each other for a couple of days before they determined that they were in love. This was a bit on the fluffy side, so if you want a PNR without all of the angst, then I would recommend.
tyrianpurple
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
2.5 modern vampire stars!

while the idea and plot are quite interesting, few odd thing i could ignore, but the lack of chemistry is so devastating.
Danny Johnson
Feb 18, 2014
Stephanie
Jan 13, 2016
  • Community Service
  • My Lady Faye (Sir Arthur's Legacy, #2)
  • My Twisted Drink
  • Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
  • Runaway Cowboy (Rodeo #3.5)
  • Towing the Line (World Apart, #2)
  • Under These Restless Skies
  • One To Tell The Grandkids
  • Starting Over (Nugget, #4)
  • The Unbeliever
  • Hold Me Close (The O'Learys, #6)
  • Scarred
  • Vampires: Three Novels
  • Can't Always Get What You Want
  • Darkness Unchained (Sky Brooks, #2)
  • Kiss of a Dragon (Fallen Immortals #1)
  • The Sexiest Man Alive (Life and Love on the Lam, #4)
  • The Lonely Hearts Club
Suki McMinn is an American author of contemporary paranormal fiction. She grew up in Asheville, North Carolina, and has an English Literature degree from the University of Tennessee.

After working as a model and commercial actor in Los Angeles and a newspaper columnist in North Carolina, she now lives in Phoenix, Arizona, with her husband and dogs. She’s a member of the Desert Rose chapter of the R
More about Suki McMinn

L.A. Vamps (2 books)
  • Die Laughing (L.A. Vamps, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)