Start by marking “Nunslinger Book 1” as Want to Read:
Nunslinger Book 1

Nunslinger Book 1

(Nunslinger #1)

Published December 26th 2013 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Nunslinger Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nunslinger Book 1

Start your review of Nunslinger Book 1
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I'm reading Nunslinger: The Complete Series, but I thought it would be easier to rate every book as I finish them before I rate all of them as one.

In the first book we get to know Sister Thomas Josephine a Visitantine nun. The wagon train she travellers with gets attacked and the survivors is left stranded in Wyoming but they get rescued by Lt. Theodore F. Carthy and his soldiers. But she isn't safe for long, the deserter Abraham C. Muir. kidnaps her...

This book was shorter than I anticipated, I
Oliver Clarke
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely superb. Economic prose, great characters and just the right amount of action and peril to go with the more thoughtful element. I LOVED IT
Barry Lillie
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hate cowboy stories and westerns, but after reading so many positive reviews I thought I'd give this a go and see what all the fuss was about.

An unusual protagonist and a cowboy, what's not to like in the highly-charged and quickly paced novella. Sister Thomas Josephine adapts well to the situations she finds herself in and questions her moral stance when changes occur that she must roll with. Great short descriptive prose that sets the scenes well without too much babble and keeps the story
Andrew Lennon
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This was ok, but I'm definitely glad that I have the complete collection and not just this book as a stand alone.
It's done enough to make me want to carry on to the second book.
Col
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, h
Synopsis/blurb……

The year is 1864. Sister Thomas Josephine is on her way from St Louis, Missouri, to Sacramento, California. During the course of her journey, however, she'll find that her faith requires her to take off her wimple and pick up a gun. Innocent Visitandine nun Sister Thomas Josephine wants nothing more than an adventure-free journey out west. But adventure is what she'll get - and heaps of it - when she's taken hostage by a desperate outlaw on the Laramie Plains of Wyoming. Before l
David
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NUNSLINGER [Book 1] pits Sister Thomas Josephine and a mysterious outlaw, Abe Muir, against the elements, each other than the advancing Union army.

As a piece of narrative fiction it is unlike any else out there. Sister T.S's voice is a strong yet compassionate one, the story is rich and interesting and it reads (at least to me) like the best Exploitation movie never made. This is the highest compliment possible as I love that type of cinema. Great start, more please.
Igor
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very raw tale in the Wild West, well paced and very enjoyable. IT's the first part of a broader story divided in chapters, so don't expect a conclusion in this volume.

Warning: this seems to come from Hugh Howey's school of cliffhangers.
Brianna Harmon (Maiden’s Blush)
This was an off-the-nose Thriftbooks purchase and I’m so glad I snagged it! Book 1 = interesting start to a “nun gone rogue” storyline; I love how the stage is now set for the rest of the books/character development . // I have the complete volume (books 1-12) but want to rate them each as I go, to note certain lines. At the fire, with Muir, Sister says:

...That there were hard edges to this world I had never imagined; a world of unbound wounds and blood on the earth and shattered teeth, where a
Simon
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Got this taster(?) free via Google books, and although westerns aren't really a genre of choice, it was ok, though not rivetting enough to make me want to buy further parts of it, though I'd happily read them if I could get it at my local library.
Tara Lewis
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories-enjoyed
Talk about one helluva cliffhanger. I immediately bought the first omnibus.
Olive Sparrow
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and easy to read with an intriguing setting.

Read more here!
David
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Joshua Allerton
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First book of the year and I loved it! It's hard to pick faults with something so fast-paced and captivating. With action from the start, I was pulled into this western world, fully visualising the environments described. The ending was marvellous, one which is changes the protagonist and forces you to pick book 2 up. If anything, this is a grand western book with its only fault that is should be a lot longer.
Annalise
Apr 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Nuns - and guns. Surely a winning combination. I wanted to like this and the characters and situation had real potential but every short chapter was another slice of action so it was all plot, no development. One thing happened after another, in quick succession but there was nothing to get me wondering so I stopped reading pretty early on.
Dawn Gilbert
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I got this book, to be honest I picked it because I liked the look of the cover! it took me a little while to get into it but as soon as I did I didn't want to put it down! its like nothing else I have read before, a series of events and characters I wouldn't have put together, it was a fantastic read I cant wait to read the next one!!
Brenna Young
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Keeps you guessing until the very end, then you're guessing again and wanting more. I'm really hooked to this series.
June Jones
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
terrific and very unusual book, fast moving, and great reading, would have liked to see Abe get it together with the nun, but overall a great read, would redcommend
Jim
Jan 26, 2014
Jared Shurin
Dec 06, 2013
Darren Holmes
rated it did not like it
Oct 10, 2017
Tiina
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
  • De brief voor de koning
  • Titus Groan (Gormenghast, #1)
  • We
  • The Buddha Walks into a Bar...: A Guide to Life for a New Generation
  • A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
Stark Holborn is a novelist, games writer, film reviewer, and the author of Nunslinger and Triggernometry.

Nunslinger (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Nunslinger Book 2: The Good, the Bad and the Penitent