Start by marking “The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners” as Want to Read:
The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners

The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners

The Bhagavad Gita has been called India's greatest contribution to the world. For more than five thousand years, this great scripture has shown millions in the East how to fill their lives with serenity and love. In these pages, Jack Hawley brings these ancient secrets to Western seekers in a beautiful prose version that makes the story of the Gita clear and exciting, and ...more
Published March 10th 2011 by New World Library (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Bhagavad Gita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bhagavad Gita

Start your review of The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first time I read The Bhagavad Gita was in university. Although interesting, my interpretation was very academic, somewhat clinical like an anthropological exercise. Not surprising, being as I was an archaeology major looking for a humanities credit. Needless to say, I got very little personally out of the readings.

It’s been a few years and my outlook has changed. Although the material is the same, this time when I read through The Bhagavad Gita, I became very interested in the concept of the
Debra Moffitt
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much wisdom in Jack's book. He brings a deep integrated understanding of spiritual practice to the table and uses it to fill the heart of the reader. I keep this book as one to return to for inspiration again and again.

Lenin
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is indeed 'magical' as someone called it. I have tried reading the Bhagavad Gita (Roman Catholic here) from age 16 but failed because of how complicated the translations seemed to be. Mostly it was not the language itself but the good knowledge of the background precepts and terms that those translations required from the reader.

This 'walkthrough' of Hawley is just what I was looking for. It's so straightforward and simple to read and 'understand'. I quote that last word because you have to
Allison
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerns is exactly what it sounds: A version of the Bhagavad Gita, which is a Hindu scripture, that is easier to understand if you’re not accustom to the language the original version is in. The Bhagavad Gita is written in the form of a story about a warrior, Arjuna, who is having an internal conflict of whether or not to fight because he has friends and family on the opposing side. Krishna, who is the Divine, teaches him that he is not his body, and that ...more
Nikki
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was completely enthralled by this book! As ancient Hindu scripture, I was surprised by how compatible it is with Christianity and my own personal, religious beliefs. The lessons taught are completely Christian!! I anticipate that I will refer to this book a lot in the future--as I would other scriptures.
Flan
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible and very interesting. The conversations between Arjuna and Krishna are wonderful...if you like that kind of thing. Jack Hawley did an excellent job of bringing the ancient writings to modern Americans in a way they can be applied to everyday life. This is a good beginning to access the ancient wisdom.
Chui Ying
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hawley makes the ancient scripture very palatable indeed! I read it side by side with another translation by Barbara Stoler Miller. The Gita is a classic to be read many times over, in order to digest and internalize its teachings.
Lori Mollett
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read it through 3 times, each time gaining greater understanding. It's now a daily read which I enjoy as it is my time for introspection and developing awareness of Atma.
Wilhelm
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book and will definitely read it again and again. Great for someone like me who couldn't even consider reading in the original context.
Ayla
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully-written translation of the BG that is easy to read and so comforting.
Pravin
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best (approachable) interpretations of the Gita that I've read. It's easy to read, but not easy to absorb - but that's the nature of the Gita.
Hannah Silver
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga, audiobook
Don't know why I waited so long to read this, but maybe it was good I did yoga teacher training before and had context. What an amazing resource. Though I haven't read other translations, I really liked the author's accessible approach to the story. Will revisit forever and ever.
Allysia K
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally engrossing and easy to follow. I'm curious to read other versions of the Gita, but will come back to this one again and again.
Christopher Beards
An exceptional translation, offered in a way in which the story reads itself, while not lacking in the profound wisdom or poetic expression of the Gita.
Valarie
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to know what Buddhism is all about, but aren't going to go much deeper than that.
Shelves: favorites
OK, this isn't exactly a dumbed down Bhagavad Gita as many claim. We all have to realize that it's concepts are just a little foreign to the westerner and they may need a little nudge to understand what it is all about.

I happened to find it fascinating and I highly recommend the book to all who can find it.
Jed
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s a reason that ancient books like this one have survived the test of time. It’s got some great wisdom mingled with some strange-to-the-western-mind ideas. I have read two other versions of the Gita without comprehending them. This one is translated in a readable way. I loved learning more about how Hindu people think.
Tara N
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful spiritual read!

A must for anyone seeking spiritual growth, inspiration and truth. Only magnifies the heart and reality to those willing to acknowledge, accept and practice it's teaching(s).
Nish
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've tried to read other translations or become overwhelmed and annoyed at terminologies than this is the one for you. I would say this is the most univerisal and accessible version and pershaps even the Gita in its purest form as if the original authors want to clear it up for us.
Carissa
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers
you just have to read it, absorb it
Hannahdanielhotmail.com
A explantion of the Gita in a clear and easy to read style. Made me revisit the tradional text and stimulated my interest in Indian philosophy.
Velutrein
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it- Gita explained wih ease without loosing its inner meaning and depth.
Pythagorean
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed I've never read this before. It's filled with profound wisdom, and this prose translation is very easy to read. I'm looking forward to reading other translations.
Mike
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this translation
Leslie
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
taking this one morsel at a time
Christopher
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and fluid translation for western readers
Helen
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring book. For every day reading.
Jayney
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Best introduction that I would fully recommend to the Gita.
Sam
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Will be coming back for a re-read.
Chris Davis
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this several times. This is the best translation of the Bhagavad Gita ever.
Clive Freeman
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this version of the Bhagavad Gita, I have to say. It was, above all, readable, written as it is in modern English, This meant that (in contrast with some other translations of classics of world literature) I wanted to come back each time and read more. So bonus points to Jack Hawley, PhD, for accessibility.

The Bhagavad Gita is framed as a conversation between Arjuna, a warrior prince, and his charioteer, Krishna, who is the divine made into human form. It is described as
a

• The Bhagavad Gita
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
  • Before Watchmen: Ozymandias/Crimson Corsair
  • Before Watchmen: Nite Owl/Dr. Manhattan
“… beyond time, space, and circumstances to the place where the mind is tranquil and ego disappears.” 2 likes
“When you actively turn your thoughts to all the bad consequences of the desires as they arise in you, the passion for them gradually dries up. As your passion diminishes, your mind comes under control. Firm, dedicated faith (sraddha) brings you the raw force of determination, will.” 1 likes