Start by marking “Hawk O'Toole's Hostage” as Want to Read:
Hawk O'Toole's Hostage

Hawk O'Toole's Hostage

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  2,320 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
To Hawk O'Toole, she was a pawn in a desperate gamble to help his people. To Miranda Price, he was a stranger who'd done the unthinkable: kidnapped her and
her young son off a train full of sight-seeing vacationers. Now, held hostage on a distant reservation for reasons she cannot at first fathom, Miranda finds herself battling a captor who is by turns harsh and tender, mys
Published December 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Hawk O'Toole's Hostage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawk O'Toole's Hostage

Mo
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good enough read. Tough, hero. Spunky, heroine. Cute kid.

"If you want to handle something hard and deadly, Mrs Price, I'll be glad to direct your hand to something just as steely and fully loaded as the pistol."

"What are you thinking about?"
"My life, my mother, my father, ... my grandfather. The Irishman who took an Indian girl for his wife and left me with those anglo eyes."

*TANYA*
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lol. Uber cheesy. But still good.
Beth F.
This book was awesome!

1 – Seriously, did you get a load of the title? Look at it again. Say it three times in a row. Out loud.

2 – This is a Native American-kidnaps-a-white-woman-romance. And it’s contemporary. Seriously?!?!? Seriously!!!!

The hero of the story, Hawk O’Toole, was a d-bag and the heroine, Miranda “Randy” Price, was generic and whiny. Except for that, I’d have been seriously tempted to give the book four stars for humor reasons alone. The main thing that saved the story from the un
Carrie
Jay
Weak heroine. Scumbag hero. Spawn of Satan child.

I'm usually good with children in books (although I prefer not to have them) but I swear to god, I wanted to fly-kick Scott 90% of the time. 6 years old or not, I hated how his loyalties changed from his loving mother to his kidnappers. He fought tooth and nail whenever Miranda tried to escape with him because he just loved it there so much. He also liked to abandon his mum and compare her to other women ("Ernie's wife makes better biscuits than y
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
Ok, so I loved Honor Bound. This is just... plain stupid. It's wrong on so many levels. A second-hand try. Complete waste of effort. It feels like it was hastily started, and even more hastily finished.

The second star goes solely to Hawk's member. That says it all.
figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️
4 Stars

In my opinion Sandra Brown it's in a class by her self and with each book she proves why she is so known and why she is one of the best. I loved Hawk O'Toole's Hostage and re read so many times and i just can't get enough.
Primadonna
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ohkay so it's a classic and the guy tends to be pushy. And the whole Stockholm syndrome thing. I despise the male protagonist for being pushy and condescending. And I find it hard to sympathize with the female protagonist who lets the guy push her around.
Nichole
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book...read it in one night!
Angel
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fav book
Ava Swiniarski
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandra-brown
Over the summer I had the privilege of reading a very captivating book, “Hawk O’Toole’s Hostage” by Sandra Brown. This fiction book was published by Bantam Loveswept in 1988. This book takes place around the 1980s. It is set in a desert in the Midwest of the United States. The main characters of this book are Miranda, Hawk, Scott, and Ernie. Miranda is the mother of seven year old, Scott, and they are taken hostage off of a tourist train by a band of six men on horseback. The leader, Hawk, takes ...more
Olivia Teese
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-faves, romance
Hawk is my favourite kind of hero- a prickly sweetheart. Hawk starts the ball rolling in this story by kidnapping Miranda Price and her son while they were heading to the West for a vacation. I did figure out the real culprit very early on but it didn’t take away from the story at all for me. Miranda’s son was such a sweetie but was a little too sheltered by his mother and in a way I could understand why. Hawk and his ‘family’ were an admirable influence on Miranda’s son which was great because ...more
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh My! An amazing book! Action from the beginning to the end. It was a great relief when Hawk finally did what he wanted with Miranda since the day he took Scott and her off the train. I was a bit nervous, not gonna lie, that things wern't going to work out at first, but when Hawk to Miranda to the spring I knew it was all gonna go well. A great read, one that I couldn't put down. Well done Mrs.Brown, well done.
Pamela(AllHoney)
One of Sandra Brown's earlier books, originally published under the Loveswept romance line. Miranda Price and her son are kidnapped by a group led by Hawk O'Toole. Stockholm Syndrome? Maybe.

Anyway, it was fine for what it was. Hawk was a bit rougher than I'd prefer but this was written in the 80s and that's how the alpha men were normally written back in the day.
Donna
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was a higher rating that five, because some of her books were way above the 5 * scale. This book was so great. It is one of those books you start and can't put down at all until the end and then you cry at the end because the story is over and you want it to go on...
Brittany
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Horrible! Kidnapped woman is treated like garbage, he calls her a slut, insults her motherhood and subjects her to even more mental cruelty, ok, that's all to be expected...but wait.... she can't wait to "make a passionate love to him" what a joke!
Ron
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one of Sandra Brown’s many romantic novels, with an inspired hostage theme. I found it an easy read with lots of inspiring moments; however, I also found the plot a little disturbing on an emotional level. Lots of heat and passion of many forms with in it’s pages.
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Let me start by saying that I love Sandra Brown's early works (as evidenced by the overabundance of her name on my read shelf). But I hated this book!! It was stupid, contrite, and ridiculous. Please don't be offended, Ms. Brown. I can't stand "Hot Ice" by Nora Roberts, either!
Margaret
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, but then I have not found any of Ms Brown's books that are not worth the time it takes to read them.
Tasha
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book probably came out when I was still a toddler or a baby either or but it seemed to be such an intriguing story to read. I am now a Sandra Brown fan
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Meh read. One thing that will always stick with me with this book was the hero calling his heroine a slut and a whore numerous times ... and then she fell in love with him, what?!
Dawn
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The character of Hawk was so unappealing---why is she so stupid to fall for him?
☮ mary
a modern day look at romance with a sexy American Indian hero ... the plot is original and riveting while the LOVE story is a great if challenging roller-coaster !! try it guys
KimberlyRose
This was a train wreck. That I couldn't look away from. I was annoyed with the heroine and hero for the majority of the story: they couldn't stop--for a second!--being stereotypes, insultingly simplified caricatures of everything: their genders, their races, their roles in "bad" romance novels. And the son of the heroine was ridiculously scripted. The dialogue was lol, and the plot with its sudden resolution was Extra lol.

But yanno what? It was pretend darn fun. I enjoyed it, mostly as a "what t
Horváth László-Alexandru
Bleeeeeah.

-Ridiculously cheesy and sexual from the first moments the two started any engagement. I've read other shits like this, but at least the anticipation and the foreshadowing was way better. I kinda thought to myself all the time that "ok, so are they fucking now, or what?"
-Ridiculous lines. Awfully simplistic.
-Ridiculous standards that are set for males.
-Bitch heroine. Needs a dildo. Not likeable AT ALL.
-Horny hero. Needs a hole.
-One particular scene that completely fucked up everything,
Joni
Sep 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lowest review I have ever gave a book and I really love Sandra Brown. I do not find anything romantic about abuse, tying someone up to keep them as a hostage, physically hurting them, emotional hurting them, keeping their child away from them as a punishment. Hawk is a horrible man to Miranda and just because he is good to everyone else doesn't make it okay. I realize it a book and I was even fine with the kidnapping of Miranda and her son but the rest was really horrible. And she falls in love ...more
Lucimar
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A paixão inesperada entre uma refém e o seu sequestrador. Apesar do tema polêmico Sandra Brown conseguiu me prender nesta trama.
Uma mulher tem seu filho sequestrado e no desespero luta com todas suas forças para manter seu filho com ela, mas perde e é forçada a ir junto com um bando de descendentes índios para sua reserva. O chefe do bando descendente de indio com branco Hawk O'Toole deseja apenas que a mina do qual sua tribo depende seja reativada e por isso para chamar a atenção do governo nu
Julie Barrett
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hawk O'Tooles Hostage by Sandra Brown
Book starts out with Scott being kidnapped and his mom Miranda won't let them take just the boy. The Indians hold them hostage because her ex husband had shut down the mine where the Indians work.
They travel and stay with other Indians along the way, rural, no phones and others she meet won't help her get away.
Love hearing of the locale of where they do live while negotiations are being worked on.
She fancies herself falling for Hawk and she knows she can't. O
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Dalam bukunya beberapa kali Sandra Brown mengambil tokoh prianya berasal dari suku Indian. Seperti buku yang satu ini, sesuai dengan judulnya.

Miranda dan puteranya diculik oleh suku indian karena adanya konflik antara suku tersebut mengenai tanah mereka. Namun penyanderaan ini tidak seperti dugaan Miranda karena Hawk O'Toole,kepala suku yang menculiknya dan puteranya, ternyata tidak sejahat yang diduga oleh Miranda. Ia bahkan memperlakukan sanderanya dengan baik.

Lama kelamaan Miranda jatuh hati
Applefruit
This was written in the '80s and it shows. The hero is unreasonably mean at times, the heroine is mostly TSTL (ex: she decides to enjoy the mountain scenery as much as possible during her kidnapping), and the plot is far-fetched to the point of disbelief. The only reason I gave it two stars is because the book is not boring, nor is it overly long. You'll finish it in a day or two--but you'll be rolling your eyes the entire time!
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Rage of Passion
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Fires of Paradise (Bragg Saga, #5)
  • The English Doctor's Baby (Westerling, #3)
  • Angel Creek (Western Ladies, #2)
  • Dark Pursuit - Menggapai Cinta
  • Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1)
  • North American Indians: A Very Short Introduction
  • Silken Savage
  • The Millionaire's Mistress
  • This Time Forever
  • Lelaki Dalam Ingatan

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including STING (2016), FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), & LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy
More about Sandra Brown...