Start by marking “Doctor Who: A Handful of Stardust (Time Trips)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: A Handful of Stardust (Time Trips)

Doctor Who: A Handful of Stardust (Time Trips)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The TARDIS is diverted to England in 1572, and the Sixth Doctor and Peri meet John Dee – ‘mathematician, astrologer, alchemist, magician, and the greatest mind of our time’. (‘Only of your time?’, the Doctor asks, unimpressed.) But what brought them here? When the Doctor discovers that Dee and his assistant have come across a ‘great disturbance in the cosmos, in the conste ...more
Published April 3rd 2014 by BBC Digital

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Dan Schwent
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, doctor-who
The sixth Doctor and Peri get yanked back to the 16th century by John Dee. After a clash of egos, The Doctor discovers The Master is pulling Dee's strings. But what does The Master have planned involving a super nova in the constellation Cassiopeia? Can the Doctor stop his schemes? Of course he can! He's the Doctor!

I got this from Netgalley.

I must admit, this is the first Doctor Who story I've read that features a Doctor I'm unfamiliar with, in this case, the Sixth Doctor. Still, that did little
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
 photo IMG_0085_zpsv1qqido2.jpg

"Doctor Dee?" the Doctor pondered. "I've heard of you."

"Of course you have! Doctor of divinity and mathematics. Alchemist, astrologist, navigator. I am, sir, Her Majesty's most noble intelligencer. And the greatest mind of our time."

"Only of YOUR time? Well, I can do better than that," the Doctor boasted."

When the 6th Doctor and Peri travel back to England in the 16th Century, they find more than they bargained for when they discover an old enemy meddling with time and space.

I have a definite s
Brendon Schrodinger
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
Catching up on the latest Doctor Who short made me think merely a 'meh', maybe a little higher, but not much more. While it is great to see some more Sixth Doctor adventures, and the dialogue of the Sixth Doctor came across in his voice, on the whole the adventure was entirely bog-standard and cliche and it struggled to keep my interest.

Hey maybe I'm fussy. I have read some great Doctor Who fiction, much of it in long-form, and recognise that the short-form story is harder to pull off with Doct
Kribu
I keep vacillating between two and three stars for this one. Can't really decide. :-/

This started off really well - with plenty of detail, a well established setting, and with a bit of intrigue. I rather loved the first part, to be honest, and had high hopes for it - good set-up, my second favourite classic Doctor, space and time travel both, what else could one want?

Unfortunately once the main plot kicked in, the story kind of lost its feet, at least for me. The pacing felt off, everything happ
Kayla Eklund
I am slightly obsessed with Doctor Who. I love all things Doctor Who. I have read a bunch of the short stories and loved most of them. I was excited to learn recently that there are a few Doctor Who short stories that I haven't read yet. As soon as I found out, I decided to jump into one of those short stories, A Handful of Stardust. I ended up greatly enjoying it.

A Handful of Stardust didn't describe which Doctor it was about, which usually drives me crazy. However, this time I thought it real
F.R.
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
A story which, if it were adapted to television, would only really need two locations; has The Doctor being pompous and insufferable; a villainous turn from The Master; references to The Doctor’s regeneration; references to The Time Lords; Peri wearing something skimpy; Peri tied helpless to a table and lusted over.

It would be really hard to argue that Jake Arnott hasn’t captured The Sixth Doctor’s era perfectly.

However, even though we have Elizabethan scientists encountering an alien race on th
Dan
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Arnott's Time Trips story stars Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor and companion Peri. They meet Dr. John Dee and soon discover the Master is pulling his strings and has big plans for a supernova in the constellation of Cassiopeia.

This really captures the Sixth Doctor's era well, as well as the 16th century. We have an egotist Doctor here, but it's the Master who really shines. I really thought the Master was captured as a proper nasty villain here. There's also a clever throwaway line which links to s
Leilani
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: tie-in
It seems unfair to enjoy a book less because it captures so closely the way the chapters were presented on-screen, but I can't help it. They don't bicker, but Peri's dialogue is as flat and unconvincingly American as it ever was in the 80s. The Sixth Doctor's exuberance is charming, at least, and Peri refers a few times to her botany studies and gets to save the day at one point, so she's not completely annoying. The supernova element of the plot is interesting, but overall this felt just too ru ...more
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill
Read full review @ The Indigo Quill

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A Handful of Stardust is a short story in the Time Trips series from BBC books. I have taken a keen interest in these Doctor Who stories as of late. I will be doing a review on a different short story every Wednesday until the month of the premier of the new season of Doctor Who. A Handful of Stardust was the first in this string of reviews and the first Doctor Who short story I have ever read. G
Karen Cole
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Yet another Doctor Who Time Trips novella, a series of short stories written by different authors featuring our favourite Time Lord. A Handful of Stardust features many people's least favourite, the Sixth Doctor with Peri, a companion who divided opinion. As a child I loved her but I know many people rank her among the worst companions. It's not then a story that starts from a place of overwhelming nostalgic warmth!
Mostly set in England in 1572, the Doctor and Peri meet John Dee, "Docto
Andrea Guy
A Handful of Stardust is a fantastic Time Trip story. It is short, but it really packs a punch. This story features the Sixth Doctor and Peri. Its the first story I've read with this particular incarnation of the Doctor, and from what I could tell, Jake got his personality down just right.

I love stories that involve history and this one featured John Dee and Thomas Digges both great minds from the 1500s. Then there's an incubus and even better, the story's villain is none other than The Master.
Becky
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
In "A Handful of Stardust" Doctor number six and his companion Peri find their way to sixteenth century England and come face to face with the notorious John Dee! Dee has discovered something truly magnificent but his thirst for knowledge is literally out of this world. Strangely it isn't Dee or his actions that have drawn the Doctor to earth, but someone (or something) else entirely.

I won't say this one was my favorite of the series, but it definitely comes close to the top simply because of w
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor, who, 6th, peri, master, 1404, 2014
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2283276.html[return][return]A mild romp round Elizabethan times with the Sixth Doctor, Peri, John Dee and the Master. It's light in some ways, but actually drills down linguistically to explain Peri's name (I don't think I'd ever seen that before) and is respectful enough of the historical setting.
Ken Hart
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Entertaining Doctor Who novella featuring the Sixth Doctor and Peri. It introduces a couple of elements that could have made the tale truly creepy and memorable - and the author backs away from the full potential, which is a shame. Still, it's enjoyable for Doctor Who fans, with a "surprise" appearance that's all the more fun precisely because it's NOT surprising.
Chris Wing
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
This story is fine. It's a solid but brief tale, that would, I feel, have benefitted from being a ful novel.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make out the Doctor or the Master's voices! In fact, I kept falling into hearing Delgado's Master's voice, as opposed to the surface-calm purring of Ainley.

Lots of good ideas that unfortunately suffered from being such a short format.
Shane
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fast paced book that flew over, however I found it enjoyable and it managed to get a lot in considering the size of the book. Plenty of sciencey stuff to keep we geeks happy. There seemed subtle nudges to a sequel in there too.
Andrea
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. I like that this one has the Master in it.
Tammy
The Sixth Doctor and Peri meet Dr. John Dee, who has succumbed to an alien incubus given to him by an old enemy of the Doctor's.

It was a fast, enjoyable read.

(Provided by publisher)
Tatiana
rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jake Arnott is a British novelist, author of The Long Firm and four other novels. In 2005 Arnott was ranked one of Britain's 100 most influential gay and lesbian people. When he was included in a list of the fifty most influential gay men in Britain in 2001, it was declared that he was widely regarded as one of Britain's most promising novelists.
More about Jake Arnott

Time Trips (9 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Death Pit (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: Into the Nowhere (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: Keeping Up with the Joneses (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: The Bog Warrior (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Time Traveller
  • Doctor Who: The Anti-Hero (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: Time Trips