Start by marking “212 the extra degree” as Want to Read:
212 the extra degree

212 the extra degree

212 the extra degree captures the essence of excellence in an unforgettable way... At 211 water is hot. At 212, it boils. And with boiling water, comes steam. And with steam, you can power a train. The one extra degree makes the difference. In the original 212 the extra degree softcover, the simple 212 concept is illustrated through a clear introduction and then supported ...more
Published March 12th 2012 by The Walk The Talk Company (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 212 the extra degree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 212 the extra degree

Start your review of 212 the extra degree
Yoursexylibrarian
Aug 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are needing a lame gift for your corporate employees for the holidays, this book is for you.
Tony
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My Grade = 68% - D

I found this one at the thrift shop for a quarter or two, so I picked it up. It's one of those expensive (like $12.00) type of books you can find at the Hallmark store that make cute little inspierational gifts. A total of 105 pages - mostly pictures or phrases.

The whole gist of the book is that at 211 degrees, water is very hot, but at 212 degrees that hot water turns into a boil.

It's all about going that extra degree in everything you do in life. It really is a good idea, but
Charlotte
Nov 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finished in like 20 minutes between calls. Typical motivational book. Dull, redundant. Recommended by my boss. I read it, I'm counting it.
Stephanie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read/listen recommended by new supervisor Kim Iverson, glad to have read it--but probably could use a revisit, as other than the premise of one degree can mean the difference between boiling and not, it means that giving that extra 1% can make a big difference--didn't retain much more than that....but glad to count it in the 2018 books--grateful for Overdrive and Hoopla's history, to help me remember what I've read!
XWXH020
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t really a “book.” You can get the whole idea by reading the back cover (24 words). But it’s a really nice refreshment from other “business books”. Other books are so long. They’re like complicated recipes. Sometimes you can spend all day on them and end up with something that tastes horrible that you end up throwing out. This book is boxed macaroni and cheese. It takes 15 minutes to make and does the job.
KB
Aug 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like inspiring reads and self-improvement guides, but to me this book was mostly Oversimplified Superficial Fluff stories that made cheesy motivational posters seem like literature. I did like the "one extra degree can power a locomotive" idea that is all explained on the back cover, but reading the inside contents felt like an unfortunate Waste Of Time.
In
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
212 is a simple motivational "gift" book. It takes moments to read and does not contain any earth shattering concepts. Except the 212. Sam Parker was clever in tying the boiling point of water to the simple message to us all about going the extra step to achieve, care about, take time, etc. in our lives.
Drew Clancy
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but powerful book on the power and impact of one extra degree of effort:

At 211 degrees, water is hot.
At 212, it boils.
And with boiling water comes steam.
And steam can power a locomotive.

I had picked up this book in an airport several years back but hadn't read it until now. Working on our theme for next year and the insights here fit perfectly with our focus for 2018.
Angie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read. Quick. Great tips at the end of the book to help you do just a little more each day with your life.
Pamela Mabey
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great concept

Great concept, would highly reccomend to others in a working, school or team environment. Very motivational about taking those extra steps.
Bess Georges
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!!! Short, great examples.
Danielle Stoll
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by my former supervisor at the university I attended and worked during my undergrad years, and though it is short, it makes great points and offers simple advice to better oneself in all aspects of life including professional, academic, and personal relations.

I often reference this for my professional development:
"Service is the lifeblood of any organization. Everything flows from it and is nourished by it. Customer service is not a department... it's an attitude." This
Sandie
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this quick read. I received it while serving as a conference facilitator for the NAME conference at UVU. I had never heard of it, but I enjoyed the little tidbits that were encompassed within its covers. "It's your life. You are responsible for your results. It's time to turn up the heat." "To get what we've never had, we must do what we've never done." I would recommend this book for a snowy Saturday night...to feel light, inspired, and uplifted in our heavy-laden world.
Pam Herrmann
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good life lessons. One more act of kindness each week = 52 moments of inspiration. Complain once less a day chokes off 365 seeds of negativity. Remove 2 distractions a week. Take one risk a week. Visit or talk to a friend each week. Invest 15 minutes in your children.
The secret to success is to do what you can "and then some". Go the extra degree. Water boils at 212 and is so much more powerful than one degree less =211. Imagine the possibilities of doing "some more" each day.
Pallavi Singh
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this book arrived at my work desk one day unannounced from the mail room/ pleasant surprise to open up a packet u are not expecting ! Read it today - quick one well sequenced such a powerful concept !! Awesome pics - loved the 212 stories section and just the way the thought process flows in each section- section segmentation rocks !
AL
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book was given to all employees at my place of employment. Being on the Marketing Committee I was forced to read it - and I'm glad I did. This is a magnificent book to incorporate into your everyday life to make you a better person all the way around. Highly suggested - not a long book short and to the point!!
Irene
Quick read, a bunch of great quotes and motivational stories, pretty pictures. I'd recommend this to someone that needs a little extra push to take that next step to whatever set goal they're trying to reach. Only 3 stars because, although motivating, the information wasn't mind-blowing or anything extraordinary.
Vivian
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was required reading for work. It talks about how a littl extra effort can go a long way - at 211 degrees, water is hot. At 212 degrees, it boils (which turns into steam which can power a locomotive). A very quick read.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
I found this book to be filled with simple statements that are meant to inspire one to take action. Not a specific action but just to take one. There are sayings that are filled with inspiration and provide a thought provoking message, and facts that make sense in the grand scheme.
Mark
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read showing the power of extra effort in the workplace. Concise, sent a clear message. The depth (examples), grammar and composition left something to be desired. Even as a sports enthusiast, upfront the book relied too much on competitive sports examples and not everyday opportunities.
Lisa
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Redundant. Felt as if I was supposed to like this book. Perhaps since I've read numerous self help categorized books, this one added nothing new.
Wayne Gilbert
For work......
Boarder Bandit
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't enjoy reading much, but I enjoy inspirational books.
Michelle Corcoran
A motivating book that makes me think. What if I went the extra degree?
Jim
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up at the very first Success Magazine conference
Jamie
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple book about the difference between 211 degrees & 212 degrees, the temperrature that water boils....inspirational
Susan
Short, sweet and to the point. Great quotes from great people.
Marc
Dec 21, 2014
Adam Warrington
Jan 05, 2020
Larry
Feb 26, 2018

• Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • Mum's the Word: Secrets of a Family
  • The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)
  • Warrior Goddess Training: Become the Woman You Are Meant to Be
  • Deadlocked 4 (Deadlocked, #4)
  • Come September, Journey of a High School Teacher
  • The Complete Oz
  • The Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #2)
  • Destined (House of Night, #9)
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
  • The Coffee Bean: A Simple Lesson to Create Positive Change
  • Rich Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan for Getting Your Financial Life Together...Finally
  • The Family Journal
  • Lessons from the Mouse
  • Baltimore Blues (Tess Monaghan #1)
“at 211 degrees, water is hot. at 212 degrees, it boils. and with boiling water, comes steam… and with steam, you can power a train. one degree. Applying one extra degree of temperature to water means the difference between something that is simply very hot and something that generates enough force to power a machine” 1 likes