Start by marking “Awakening (Children of the After, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awakening (Children of the After, #1)

Awakening (Children of the After #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  2,483 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
It has been six months since their father locked them in the security vault with a promise to return. But he never came back. With supplies running out and vital life support systems failing, Jack, Samantha, and Will have no choice but to ignore their father’s warnings and leave the vault. With no knowledge of what befell the world outside, or what they might expect once t ...more
Published November 29th 2013 (first published November 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening, please sign up.
Jordan Ashley Actually I don't see a problem with it. Sam is a nurturer, she's doing what she KNOWS, what is familiar where nothing in her world is familiar…moreActually I don't see a problem with it. Sam is a nurturer, she's doing what she KNOWS, what is familiar where nothing in her world is familiar anymore. Right down to the makeup, it's what's familiar to her in a place she doesn't recognize anymore.
Will is SEVEN. I've heard many dads, grandfathers, and uncles tease with the word "Womenfolk". I thought it was adorable.
These are kids doing what is familiar to each of them. They're 15, 14, and 7. You can't expect children to see their lives ripped apart and think "Now is the time to change EVERYTHING I know about myself." They're clinging to anything familiar and I think it's truly realistic.(less)

Jeremy Laszlo
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I had to give it five stars simply for the impact it has had on my own children. Prior to writing this novel, I hadn't published a single thing my own girls could read. It was with that in mind that this new series was created, and I couldn't write this first novel fast enough for them. They were ravenous in its consumption, reading each chapter right after I had it completed. It feels like a wonderful achievement to create something your children appreciate and enjoy. Inspiring a child's imagin ...more
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
2.5 STARS

***I received the ebook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

For such a short book, Awakening dragged like no-one’s business. There was so much repetition in not just the writing but the plot; for a story of survival there was plenty of actual existing and not much fear that something might disrupt it. The only horror aspect was disregarded so quickly, until we get a glimpse of something else at the end – and I just don’t know if it’s enou
Nicole Storey
If this book is 260 pages I'll eat my cat. There is no way. It took all of two hours to read, so either Amazon messed up with their estimation or the author padded the book somehow to fool readers into thinking they were getting a full-length novel.

The story itself is not bad. I do like the idea behind it but reading the same information over and over through three POVs was irritating. As I am sure the following installments (I refuse to call them books because they aren't. They are parts of ONE
Natasa
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'll never pick a book again without checking what it's about a bit more (it said horror so I was happy enough).
But this was YA (which I avoid totally, not to say hate) and on top of it for audience 15+.
Yey for me :/
Well, lesson learned.
I did finish the book though, I tried to imagine reading it 20 years ago and I would have enjoyed it. Therefore a deserved 4*.
Now I'm in desperate need of something violent, gory and hideous.
J.C. Cauthon
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book read like a long journey to no where, and it left me with so many questions and "how is that even possible?"'s at the end that I was a bit frustrated.

These kids are locked in a security vault that is located several floors up in a Chicago apartment building. Okay, most security vaults are HEAVY. When they come out of the vault, the foundation and floors of their apartment building either have or are about to collapse. How is that heavy metal container still solidly attached and support
Michelle
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to read romance free YA post-apocalyptic fiction
Awakening was exciting and enticing. Suspense was well maintained all the way to the reveal at the end. I'm intrigued. I want to know what happens next enough to have gone ahead and purchased the box set of all 4 books.

Periodically the writing was a bit awkward - not horrible, just not polished, a little stiff. Occasionally it's a bit cheesy ("It was silent. Too silent." I mean, c'mon bro).

No romance. None. Nada. Zip. Thank you so much. Given that the main characters are three siblings, that's
Victoria Simcox
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Who’s left among the ruins they have no clue. They recall that they were cast into the remnants of the domain. They did not identify with the realm they found themselves in. Once through the entrance they didn’t know what to believe. What was Samantha, Will and Jack supposed to do now that the life provision were dwindling. They disregarded their dad’s cautioning, though they figured it was their only option. It was their dad that had sealed them away in the safety vault, encouraging them he’d c ...more
margaret Lane
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!

Something new from a Teens view point. Couldn't even put it down. Keep writing please. Loved the book. Want more!
Gadget Girl
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dont often read Young adult books but there was something about the blurb that caught my imagination and attention and the book was FREE what had I to lose.

I read this book in one sitting as its in between a novel and novella and I simply couldn't put it down. Its perfect for the teens but some adults may enjoy this too. I loved the 3 separate characters of the kids and showing so clearly the different ages. Its well written and has brilliant character development as the kids have to to start
Lorenzo Martinez
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Children of the After: Awakening by Jeremy Laszlo
From the first line of Children of the After: Awakening by Jeremy Laszlo, we know we’re in for an exciting adventure. A master story teller, Laszlo brings the reader right into the action and keeps us engaged throughout. The story unfolds as three siblings, Jack, Samantha, and Will plan their escape from a vault they have been locked in for six months by their own father who had promised to return but never came back. Having exhausted all the supp
Lanie
Clearly, this book is not for me. The writing is Bland and emotionless.

& The logic here totally unrealistic. If the rest of the 13th floor apartment is falling down around them, how did this super heavy metal apocalyptic bunker vault not come loose and send these kids to the afterlife? Who care!? Fuck logic, want matters is coolness! Well, yes. I won't deny that that is true. But you should also realize that even in apocalyptic fiction, readers are still gonna want a little bit of realism.
Stonebender
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I started out sort of liking this book. I received this one as a freebie on Amazon. It's a pretty slow, not much action. I didn't think the setup was interesting, but the author could've cut the work by half and had a tighter story. The story is part of a series, but those three books are really just one. There is no attempt in the first two to provide any kind of partial resolution. Neither book stands up on its own at all. Did not love the ending. Went from a mildly interesting science fiction ...more
Su Williams
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written (zombie?) apocalypse story. My only negative was the abrupt ending. But maybe that's because I was enjoying the relationship and story of three kids out on their own with NO clue what devastation occurred whilst they were locked away in a panic room of sorts. I thought it was a clever beginning to their story. The children's personalities and interactions are honest and, at times, funny. Which is what you'd expect from kids. A definite must-read for apocalypse fans.
Janani Ravichandran
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very gripping read

This book keeps you engaged and wondering what might come next. It kept me coming back for more. Can't wait to read the next series and find the answers about the dark rider.
Morgan 👩‍🎓📚 Paukner
!!Free on Kindle!!
I loved this. A lot. I'm already planning on grabbing the last three. It was a quick read but it hooked me from the very first page.
Beth Hall
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so good!!!!
Constance Burris
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Alright

Audible edition was really good. I enjoyed getting to know the characters. But it felt like I've read this book many times before.
Ken Grace
Patti
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought the writing was decent for the most part. I had trouble with the following:

(view spoiler)
Benjamin
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Three children, two boys (16 and 9) and a girl (14) are shoved into a panic room in their apartment in Chicago by their father and told to stay there. Six months later, the food has run out and the electrical systems are increasingly unreliable. The children open the panic room to find a city destroyed. Everything is blackened ruins, and there seem to be no people remaining. They set out to their grandmother's house outside the city. Things get worse.
Not a bad story, but not particularly compell
Ash
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
The setting was promising but quickly turned into a literal journey of walking/running that dragged through much of a book. If it wasn't for my need to finish a book I wouldn't have seen it through. So did not like how it took the whole book ttolearn a very simple explanation to why everything is the way it is.
Kavita Favelle
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Frustratingly slow-paced with the repetition via different viewpoints irritating more often then it illuminates. Also found it a little simplistic and surprisingly anachronistic for a book written this decade. That said, there was enough to keep me going to the end. I'd probably give it 2.5 if I could do halves.
Bev Ellis
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Over the last 40 years I have read loads of fantasy/sci-fi books. I prefer series types. This is my first time reading Laszlo and I have to say it was absorbing. Following the kids daily ordeal was so detailed I felt like I was with them witnessing too. They're questions certainly would be mine under those circumstances. Well thought out Laszlo! Looking forward to reading Revelation!
Elle
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is really good, but I feel it was far too drawn out. Not much really happened throughout the whole book and it only started to get good at the end. I think it would have been better if all 3 children's POV's were not added. I just feel it was lacking, but I really liked the concept of the book.
Ashley
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Just Okay

Not a lot happens in this book except for the kids running through the city and finding shelter. It takes most of the book to get any information on what happened while they were in the bunker and then ends on a big cliffhanger. The descriptions were pretty good, but there could have been more to the plot.
Heather
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and creative thriller with characters easy to fall in love with and root for. The descriptions of the world around them is done beautifully, making it easy to see with the minds eye. I can't wait to get my mind wrapped around the second book.
I would recommend this book to my 10 year old daughter, as well as adults. Great story!!!
JL Emerson
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cliffhanger

I hate, despise, detest & abhor cliffhangers. There is no point in serializing a story that can be told between the covers of a single book. I don't have the 'graphic novel' mentality. This tome was short to the point of being a novella. You could fit 3 of these 'books' in a single book of average length.

Not well done.
Tonya Mulrooney
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

Great story line and absolutely fun to read. Reminded me of a really old series of books, The Boxcar Children, I think was the name. Put me right back in that excitement of reading a good book.
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5. I don't think I'll continue on to the next book. I didn't care for the point of view changes, and the story dragged. If you are looking for fast paced action and any gore this book isn't for you. This may be a good thriller/sci fi book for those who don't like profanity or explicit violence.
Angie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good beginning of a series. middle grade post-apocalyptic read.
  • Sleepers (sleepers, #1)
  • Land (Stranded #1)
  • The Shock (After, #1)
  • Origins (Dead Highways #1)
  • Out of the Light
  • Botanicaust  (Botanicaust #1)
  • The Passenger (Surviving the Dead, #3.5)
  • The Bombs Fall (The Dawn, #1)
  • I Hope You Find Me (Find Me #1)
  • Humanity's Last Chance (The Eden Project, #1)
  • Artificial Evil (The Techxorcist, #1)
  • The Last Survivors (The Last Survivors #1)
  • The End Came With A Kiss (Beautiful Dead)
  • Anywhere But Here (The Starborn Ascension #1)
  • Pawn (Warchild, #1)
  • Origins (Zombie Games, #1)
  • The Game (The Game is Life, #1)
  • The Fall (The Rift #1)
First and foremost I am a father and a husband. I work full time as a civilian employed by the US army, and have also been known as a welder, electrician, carpenter, roofer, writer, painter, CNC machinist, and amongst many other things a romantic. I also belong to the eternal fraternal brotherhood of the United States Marine Corps, having served 8 years that showed me a much broader perspective of ...more
More about Jeremy Laszlo

Children of the After (4 books)
  • Revelation (Children of the After, #2)
  • Evolution (Children of the After, #3)
  • Rebirth (Children of the After, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Old people might not know much about computers or driving fast like everyone else, but they knew stuff other people didn’t.” 0 likes
“door frightened him. Simply opening the door could kill them if Sam’s guess about poisonous air was right. He” 0 likes