Start by marking “A Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President” as Want to Read:

In A Vast Conspiracy, the best-selling author of The Run of His Life casts an insightful, unbiased eye over the most extraordinary public saga of our time -- the Clinton sex scandals.A superlative journalist known for the skillfulness of his investigating and the power of his writing, Jeffrey Toobin tells the unlikely story of the events that began over doughnuts in a ...more
Published November 14th 2012 by Random House (first published January 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Vast Conspiracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vast Conspiracy

Start your review of A Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President
Tom
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know what I remembered, being a Democrat and Clinton fan, and not following it too closely in the papers...

Now I have a much better idea of how the Circus actually came to town, and I gotta say, I am even more disgusted than I was then. Toobin lays out the story with extensive sources in all its sordid detail. He is not a Clinton apologist, nor is he a Starr apologist. Mostly he lays out just the facts, as far as they can be known. There's a lot of facts, and his account is clear. And
Lois
This was interesting and well written in many ways. It is definitely biased. Also unbelievably sexist.
The author treats Monica and Paula very disrespectfully in the text.
He also is extremely dismissive of Clinton's behavior. He repeatedly pares it down to 'a middle aged man having sex with an office worker/co-worker.' That's not really what happened here at all. A more accurate comparison would be a company owner/CEO having sex with a significantly younger unpaid intern. For which the owner
Marc
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Toobin's account of Clinton's legal problems in the 90's was supposed to be the topic of an up coming season of American Crime Story. Hence my interest in reading this book.

The author does a decent job at showing how the Paula Jones trial in Arkansas, the White Water Investigation by Special Counsel Kenneth Starr and the Monica Lewinsky deposition intertwined into the hot mess that plagued Capitol Hill in 1997-1998. I enjoyed reading the details about the many personalities' life, career and
Lee Miller
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
After reading the first two pages of "Vast Conspiracy," you will be hooked. Jeffery Toobin has crafted a political analysis that reads like a political thriller.

Yet in writing a fascinating, disturbing, and often wildly funny book, Toobin loses none of the objectivity, expertise, and standards that make him television's top legal analyst. Toobin's greatest achievement is walking the reader through the swirl of events step by step so the patterns and relationships become clear. He also displays
Tracy Jenkins
This was a book our book club chose, and I really wasn't that interested in rehashing all the sordid details from the Clinton scandals. However, reading this some 15 years later it is clear this president for whatever reason (zipper problems not withstanding) created the most personal hatred against a sitting president in our history. This was not political hatred, it was personal and his time in office gave a catapulted start to the divisive right wing media strongholds that persist today from ...more
Courtney Wynn
This book felt like a marathon. I bet this book would be more entertaining if you were watching the news when this all went down. I didn't know all the characters so I spent a lot of time looking up who each person was. This is basically a testament that politicians and lawyers are dishonest. Their motivation is power and they don't care how they get it. I can't believe how much tax dollars were spent on investigating the Clintons which never turned up anything. I didn't like how the author ...more
Frank Stein
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even today, reading about the Clinton impeachment can feel like a tawdry activity. The public debate about impeachment was filled with intense discussions about penis shape, blow jobs, manual vaginal stimulation, and other sexual minutiae. It seems amazing that for over a year, the top political and media minds in the country debated little else.

Jeffrey Toobin, in this fine recounting of the impeachment, shows that the tawdriness touched and diminished almost everyone who came into contact with
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating to read a detailed account of this massive political controversy that dominated the news in the late 90s. I remember so much and yet so little about it—I’m glad to know all the facts behind it, as sad as it all was.
Kelsie Donaldson
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A VERY detailed account of the whole messy affair. Good supplemental material for the podcast 'Slow Burn.'
Kelly
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit it was a little difficult to put out of my mind that that author of this book has been involved in a sex scandal of his own and fathered a child outside of his marriage. The man I used to call "The Smart and Dreamy Jeffrey Toobin" was tarnished in my eyes a bit.

That being said, I enjoyed this well-reported telling of the Clinton Sex Scandal. The peek behind the scenes and the spelling out of all the times the situation could have been defused if it weren't for egos and ambition out
Liz
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this for two reasons: first, because of the planned season for American Crime Story based in part on this book. Second, having been alive during this time period, I was interested in how it was written.

This is about the Clinton impeachment. And as I read, I remember how it unfolded in the media; I remembered what I thought at the time. I learned things I didn't know, had a better grasp of what was and was not going on.

I'd read that Monica Lewinsky is a producer for the planned season, and
Jake
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, history
Ah the good ol days when a President having an extramarital affair with a consenting adult was our nation's biggest scandal.

Toobin is good at breaking down legalese for the rest of us. As he did in Run Of His Life, he shows the maneuvering of powers that converged in an unlikely way for a trial that descended into farce. But unlike the OJ Simpson trial, which took time to get there, Clinton's was ridiculous from the beginning.

There are numerous people here, each with their own agenda and Toobin
Ellen
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-o-b, 2019
Read mostly for the Congressional/ impeachment-related details, but but it helped to fill in some details of the scandal for me. (I was a teen at the time and turns out my memories of the scandal were VERY distorted by pop culture/ whatever filtered down to that level. And of course, we didn't learn about it in history class.)

Oh yeah, and when Jeffrey Toobin described Lindsey Graham as someone who "liked being the center of attention as much as he cared about ideological purity" I fully lost my
Pablo
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's no doubt that Toobin is a sophisticated writer and an engaging storyteller, but ultimately all the legal erudition and political savvy couldn't rescue the book from the tabloid-y gossip in which it wallows.

The book does provide quite a bit of insight into the political machinations and personal vendettas that fueled this scandal, but I couldn't escape without feeling like too much brainpower had been expended on the topic.

Still, this was the dominant political scandal of my childhood,
Emi
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey Toobin is definitely one of the best non-fiction writers I know. This particular story is about the Monica Lewinsky. I still remember the scandal, so it was very interesting to read all the different aspects of this story. This story was not quite as good as his OJ Simpson book, but still a compelling narrative.
Kamala
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I was excited to read this book, as I as pretty young when this whole situation unfolded. What I found was a book with a LOT of information on the Clinton scandal, but it was really too much. I found A Vast Conspiracy to be somewhat repetitive, and just much longer than it needed to be to get the story out there.
Afshin Afshar
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffry Toobin does an excellent job of breaking down this curious and perhaps shameful (for all involved) episode in American history. He presents personalities, facts, processes, and the dynamics between them in a fascinating and captivating manner. A very enjoyable read for those who want to know what this entire thing was all about, how it started and eventually ended.
Ben Neidl
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. It’s as well-researched as a Bob Woodward book, but Toobin’s voice is an extra treat. He’s willing to pause the narrative and offer wry commentary and judgment on the absurdity of the behavior on display, which makes this as entertaining as it is informative.
Ryan
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deep dive into something I didn't have a ton of interest in, although it ended up being quite fascinating, especially from a legal perspective. Toobin's commentary and bias lays on a little thick at times.
Kerry Vital
I did not enjoy this at all, despite really like Toobin's book on OJ Simpson. Total snoozefest; the cast of characters was too large and it became too hard to keep track of everyone.

Do not recommend.
Miranda
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Run of His Life and Jeffrey Toobin did not disappoint with this book. I was a little kid during the Clinton impeachment trial so there was a lot that I didn't know before I read this book.
Arlyne Gemmell
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this as Trump is currently out President, makes a lot of machinations clear

Clear reporting about events of the time. Descriptive analysis of political people that ring true as history has moved on. I find Mr. Toobin to be an excellent writer of historical situations.
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toobin's OJ Simpson book was better
Lukas Evan
I now know way more about Bill Clinton's sex life than I ever wanted to know.
Sharon G
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Toobin always delivers a thoughtful, well- researched book.
Kathleen Kirchner
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I love Toobin, but this was not his best. Just a four hundred page love letter to the clintons, the nicest people in the world.
Thushara Vithanage
This book should made into a good TV series. :-)
Beth
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe this would have been better if I had read the physical book, but it was a bit of a dull listen for me.
Ian
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched with great detail. Recommended,
Tom Kammerer
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toobin tells a gripping tale that pulls the reader along

• Monica's Story
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Strange Justice: The Selling of Clarence Thomas
  • Republic of Lies: American Conspiracy Theorists and Their Surprising Rise to Power
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • The Red and the Blue: The 1990s and the Birth of Political Tribalism
  • An American Daughter
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • Anatomy of a Song: The Oral History of 45 Iconic Hits That Changed Rock, R&B and Pop
  • The Sack of Rome: How a Beautiful European Country with a Fabled History and a Storied Culture Was Taken Over by a Man Named Silvio Berlusconi
  • The Prosecutors: Inside the Offices of the Government's Most Powerful Lawyers
  • Life Isn't Everything: Mike Nichols, as Remembered by 150 of His Closest Friends.
  • Speed-the-Plow
  • Still Here: The Madcap, Nervy, Singular Life of Elaine Stritch
  • Old Money
  • William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Mean Girls
  • Anna Christie
  • Other Desert Cities
Lawyer, author, legal correspondent for CNN and The New Yorker magazine.