Start by marking “Mark of the Grizzly: Revised and Updated with More Stories of Recent Bear Attacks and the Hard Lessons Learned” as Want to Read:

A must-read about these magnificent but sometimes deadly creatures—thoroughly revised, expanded, and updatedEvery year, millions of people travel to grizzly country, hoping for a glimpse of the Great Bear. And every year, somebody is attacked. The power of the grizzly is almost mythical and has become the stuff of legend. Mark of the Grizzly relies on neither myth nor lege ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Mark of the Grizzly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark of the Grizzly

Start your review of Mark of the Grizzly: Revised and Updated with More Stories of Recent Bear Attacks and the Hard Lessons Learned
Max
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By now, Scott McMillion’s Mark of the Grizzly is recognized as a classic. Published almost 14 years ago, it has been reprinted more that 14 times. And the kind of success this book enjoys is the most pleasing of all because sales certainly weren’t driven by a lavish marketing campaign or big publicity splash (though in... fairness, bears helped here and there). This book succeeds for the best of all reasons: everyone who reads it is blown away, and they are immediately compelled to express their ...more
Lolypa
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that I breezed through quickly because of the intrigue I have with these beautiful, majestic animals and the reminder of the terror they can bring if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time or are just plain careless. I throughly appreciate the stories told by the survivors that have been mauled, almost to death and I feel I have learned a lot by reading this book.
Patrick
An examination of grizzly bears, their behaviors, challenges, and their interactions with people. Each chapter is set around a story of a mauling, and McMillion uses the mauling to explore a theme.

At times gripping, always interesting, and occasionally useful. If all you care about is advice for bear country, go with Herrero’s Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance instead.
Sanford Smith
This is a great book. Very well written by a seasoned newspaper man and writer. The insights and depth of thought about Grizzlys and people make each story a stand alone piece. I learned a lot about bears and people by reading this book. I highly recommend this to all outdoor folk and animal lovers too, even if you've never even visited Grizzly country. I plan to read McMillion's other work too. ...more
Benjamin Hannum
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book by Scott McMillion! The stories are fantastic. McMillion tries to paint a fair and honest picture of the relationship between grizzlies and humans. After reading this book, I was convinced a grizzly was going to tear me to shreds in my backyard...and I live in Indiana!!!
Phil Bayly
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different perspective about a fascinating animal. Thoroughly researched and well written. A haunting reminder that wild animals may be loved from afar but must be respected at any distance. They're not called Wildlife for nothing. ...more
Susan Franzen
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done!

Fascinating stories that left me with a greater appreciation for survivors and the bears. A good resource for anyone in bear country.
D
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-buy, bears
I'm an avid hiker in BC and I try to do this dance where I to the responsible thing and get educated about bears, but then spend a few years of exposure therapy before I'm comfortable being out there alone. In the last 5 years, I've read Bear Attacks by Stephen Herrero, the classic. I've read Shelton's Bear Encounter Survival Guide, which I'd reccommend for a different viewpoint than McMillion and Herrero. I've also read Grizzly Heart by Charlie Russell (living among Grizzlies in Russia).

I went
Paul
Paul Nieves
Mark of the grizzly
By, Scott McMillon

One of my favorite books Mark of the Grizzly. The problem the author promises to solve is to tell about the attacks of the Grizzly bears and solve them this is all accomplished by telling and explain the encounter with the bears. The author is qualified to write about this subject because he was told or was actually a part of the attack. This book’s tone is thrilling because when the authors talking about the attacks, they are always leading up t
Matthew Ciarvella
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This might well be the definitive book for any outdoors enthusiast on the subject of bears. It's a remarkably balanced book: the stories of bear attacks are spared none of their grim, gruesome details (I had to resist the urge to go with grisly), which should be suitably discouraging to the tourist subset that treats all wildlife as cuddly and tame.

On the other hand, the bears are not demonized or made into monsters. There is no call for their eradication. And this is how it should be for those
Cynthia Skinner
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this in one sitting the other night here in Montana. The more I read the more I had to read even though I felt like I was going to throw up. Terrifying. Finished about 3 in the morning. I think I was relating too much with the stories because I had worked for the Forest Service for a few years in late 70s early 80s in northern California, and though of course we don't have grizzlies anymore, this book reminded me of when I felt like I was being watched out there when on occasion I had ...more
Joe
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is clear from this book that the best way to survive a bear attack is to not get attacked by a bear.

Bears will kill you. Quickly and without any trouble at all. They can run faster than you, they can climb trees better than you, and they are exponentially stronger. There are survivors in some of these stories, but it seems that whether you survive or not is largely due to luck.

This book is well-written, and the stories will make you think the next time you're out hiking or camping. Seriously,
Katelyn
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I have read this book but it is a newer edition and possibly better than the first. I recommend to anyone who loves bears or anyone who may be traveling in an area where grizzlies live.
Terryfyre Carriere
This has all the contents of the previous edition (1998) with 8 new updates. I was hoping that he would add some updates on previous survivors, but he has included a section covering Timothy Treadwell. It is a suspense filled and sometimes terrifying read. I loved it!
Kate
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one up at Yellowstone and really enjoyed it (except for the people getting mauled by bears, of course).
Kelly
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
So good! Informative, too. I learned about their power, habits, habitats, and how they interact with people and other bears. A must-read.
Darren
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone who spends time in Grizzly territory.
William

• When I Was You
  • Last Day
  • Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • I Survived the California Wildfires, 2018 (I Survived #20)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message
  • The Abolition of Man
  • When You Trap a Tiger
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger
  • The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • The Adventurer's Son
  • Survivor Song
  • Hell in the Heartland: Murder, Meth, and the Case of Two Missing Girls
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
  • The Rise of Wolf 8: Witnessing the Triumph of Yellowstone's Underdog
  • The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller, #1)
  • I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38; Tiffany Aching, #4)