Start by marking “The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (And Why They Don't)” as Want to Read:
The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (And Why They Don't)

The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (And Why They Don't)

Do you sometimes wonder why a sure sale falls through the cracks? Don't you feel powerless every time that happens? You know that your product or service is really good for your customer. You've done everything to get the customer interested. They obviously like what you're selling, but they shift, they fidget and then inexplicably walk away to the competition.

Being pushy
Published April 1st 2009 by Psychotactics

To ask other readers questions about The Brain Audit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brain Audit

Start your review of The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (And Why They Don't)
Cupcakes & Machetes
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Well yes, this isn’t my usual fair. It was a forced read by my boss. When your boss says, “Here read this and we’ll discuss it when you’re done,” you don’t really argue because there are far worse projects to take home from work and do on your own time.

This might seem on the outside like a simple, boring read about sales, but it’s more than that. It’s an in depth look at how people decide when and why to purchase your product or service. It shined a spotlight on thinking that I know I do myself
Trevor
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, kindle, 2015
Sean D'Souza knows his stuff. I started out reading his blog posts. Then I moved to bing-listening to his podcast. I couldn't get enough of his simple, thoughtful, thorough insights.

This book is my first paid product from the Psychotactics library, and I'm so glad I decided to buy it!

There's so many actionable items in here that I have to go back for a second read-through starting tomorrow!

Sean has helped me gain an understanding of business, marketing, and persuasion that I never thought I coul
Giedrius Švetkauskas
Very good algorithm for those, who work with product services communications. Recommend it to every marketing person. It helped myself to define the message and target audience for the services I sell much more clearly. Thanks a lot for Sean D'Souza! ...more
Blahoot
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
dare greatly comic

I love the way D’Souza teaches. He uses simple examples, structures his material in a logical and easy-to-follow manner, and keeps things short and to the point. His writing style reminds me a bit of Chip and Dan Heath, who are among my favorite authors.

The only thing that keeps me from giving this book a 5/5 is that nothing in this book is groundbreaking. It’s tried and true marketing wisdom. But that’s not a bad thing. That’s because, unlike most marketing books that needlessly razzle and
Jake McCrary
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very focused book that isn't filled with much fluff. It is focused on helping you audit your message to potential clients or customers in order to better sell your service or product.

The author describes seven steps towards focusing your message to better help a potential customer decide to buy your product. Each chapter focuses on a single step. They include examples of two different types of businesses to help solidify the concepts.

Reading this book and thinking about the companies t
J.R. Sedivy
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Practical Marketing Advice

The Brain Audit is a worthwhile read for those interested in business, marketing, and consumer psychology. This book feels like a light read, but there is plenty of depth here. Beyond theoretical marketing advice, the author provides detailed examples on how to practically implement the advice within your own business. One of the truly unique aspects of this book is the level of support provided by the author - should you have any questions and sign up for his e-mail l
Pēteris
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
Life changing book (about sales).

Have you ever seen one of those long sales pages that seem to go on and on forever and wondered who reads them? Well, people do and I've read some of them when it's something I'm interested in.

Or perhaps you've seen these long sales pages and tried to mimic them but unsuccessfully?

This book goes into detail what goes inside customer heads when they are making a purchase. Incredible insights. May seem obvious now but that was not the case before I read book. This
Sanjay Bodani
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I had a great time to read this book. I enjoyed the way Sean has written this book - so simple, but so profound. As a marketing professional this book helped me to design effective newsletters that are very structured and result oriented. I used the 5 questions mentioned in the book on 'how to get great testimonials'. Instead of asking my client to write an testimonial for my product I requested him for a telephonic testimonial, because of which I got great insights about my product and how ...more
Ashwin Chandrasekaran
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
I must give this book 5 stars. Here are the reasons.

1. I don't remember the last time, when I finished reading a book in one stretch
2. It is written in such simple and friendly tone, that I found it very hard to stop reading
3. I don't read a lot of marketing books but this one - just stands out
4. It is a perfect mixture of gyaan and practical advice, to sell anything online

If you have to read one book on Internet Marketing, then this is it.

Also visit the website of Sean D'Souza - www.psychotacti
Francis Wade
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great ideas clearly presented

I was afraid this would be like other books on the topic... Filled with Meetoo advice.

Instead, it's a wWonderful book of fresh ideas written from an outsiders point of view. I enjoyed it immensely and started using it before getting to the last page.
Mickey
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mind. Blown.

I was freaked out about the cost of their workshops and training packages. It seemed audacious. Also the claims of three month long vacations per year seemed like one of those sleaze ball teases to make a sale. And yet, by the end of the first chapter, I was convinced this book taps into fundamental truths and explains them in obvious ways.

Now I'm going to read it again.
Revii
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anyone Who Does Marketing Should Read This Book

One of the best books about understanding what it takes to get somebody to make that decision to buy from you. Everything you need to truly understand what your clients or customers are thinking is clearly laid out in this book. I highly recommend it to anybody who wants to truly understand their customer so they can take their business to the next level. You will learn a lot from this book.
Vaibhav Vds
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for small entrepreneurs in particular. There are lot of useful templates that you can directly apply to your business. I used the testimonial template provide in the book to my own business use and I was amazed at the response that I have been getting so far. Highly recommended for small entrepreneurs.
Lisette Ruiz
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love me a system! And that's exactly what you get.

Regardless of whatever I'm doing in life, I always try to organize it in a structure that will be easy for me to understand and execute. That's exactly what I got from this book. A system that was very easy to understand and something I can apply right away to market my business. I loved it.
Jim Wilbourne
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great guide on how to present your product to a potential customer. I've read a lot of articles on this subject, and this one gave me more actionable advice in a small space that 100s of hours of articles have.

A must read if you build and sell products as an entrepreneur.
Ulio
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
If you are interested in customers psychology and decision making this book is a must. It lets you understand the core concepts of targeting an audience for your product, how to structure your product and how to face the obstacles beginning retailers/e-commerce businesses face.
Rob Tennyson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time will tell of course, but having just finished reading this book, I feel it will forever be noted as one of the serious game changers in my career. I can't wait to put what I've learned into practice. ...more
Taren Gesell
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, very tactical

I recommend reading this book once you’re into business a small ways. Having a muse to apply the lessons from this book to as you’re reading will make the book very valuable.
Matt
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, easy to read guide with tips that can instantly be applied to business. Really easy to understand and use.
Trey Hunner
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was great. I think I'm going to need to read this a couple more times this year. ...more
yoann  Lopez
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone interested in business/marketing. Super easy to ready, crystal clear, no BS
Eric
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marketing isn't my favorite subject, but this book is fun and "minimum viable knowledge" to developing & marketing a product. Very concise and practical guide. ...more
Pravin Patel
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short quick read but tons of valuable ideas.
George Halachev
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sales, behaviour
Great short book on how to win customers and overcome their resistance to buy
Valter Serdetšnõi
Definitely one of the most impactful books I've read in matters of consumer psychology. ...more
Lan Vuga
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but some great nuggets of wisdom in the book. Definately worth reading. Especially liked the part about effective testimonials.
Michał Mantorski
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Must read for every marketer.
Thomas Van Holder
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sales-marketing
Beginning chapters not so intriguing. Becomes more interesting later on. Practical hands on steps.
Gina Lento
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am really impressed with Sean D’Souza. I started listening to his Podcast and segued into this book. My husband sells AFLAC and I have been able to help him and have intelligent discussions about sales. I would read him some material while we were relaxing with our coffee and he’s gotten a few tips from what I read to him.

If you are in sales, this is definitely a must read book. If you are in your own business, this is a must read book. There is a lot of information here on how to market your
Tim Milazzo
3.5 Stars

This book contains several 4-star ideas and examples. Some of the best ideas include:
1. Customers wait to buy until you've solved every step of the customer journey, like travelers wait to retrieve every single bag from the airport's baggage claim.
2. Don't skip straight to your Solution. You need to identify and verbalize the customer's Problem first.
3. Once the correct Problem has been stated, then the Solution offered needs to be Simple - our product... .
4. Objections are best answere

• Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • Turning Pro
  • Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
  • Traffic Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Filling Your Websites and Funnels with Your Dream Customers
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Exactly What to Say: The Magic Words for Influence and Impact
  • Deadly Weapon (Jake Wolfe, #5)
  • San Diego Dead (Jake Wolfe #4)
  • The Sea
  • Do the Work
  • The Inclusive Mindset: How to Cultivate Diversity in Your Everyday Life
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Smart Cities: Big Data, Civic Hackers, and the Quest for a New Utopia
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“The second extra thing that The Brain Audit gave was not just success elements and explanations, but a STRUCTURE. A checklist for the necessary ingredients, a blueprint for your copy. My copywriting before The Brain Audit was good, but it was like a tree house. After The Brain Audit your copywriting will be like a glass and steel superstructure your customers just can’t take their eyes off.” 0 likes