Start by marking “Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin, #22)” as Want to Read:
Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin, #22)

Flight 714 to Sydney

(Tintin #22)

The Adventures of TinTin - Comic book formatA Qantas Boeing 707 touches down at Kemajoran ariport, Djakarta. Fight 714 from London arrives in Java, last stop before Sydney, Australia...
Published November 4th 2002 by Egmont (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Flight 714 to Sydney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight 714 to Sydney

Start your review of Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin, #22)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Vol 714 pour Sidney = Flight 714 = Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin, #22), Hergé
Flight 714 to Sydney (French: Vol 714 pour Sydney; originally published in English as Flight 714) is the twenty-second volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. The title refers to a flight that Tintin and his friends fail to catch, as they become embroiled in a plot to kidnap an eccentric millionaire from a supersonic business jet on an Indonesian island. This album, first publi
David Sarkies
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who love a good graphic novel
Recommended to David by: Primary School
Shelves: adventure
Tintin is kidnapped by his Arch-nemesis
26 February 2012

I used to love this one as a kid because it had lots of machine guns in it. However, since I have returned to reading the Tintin books so that I know what I am writing about (as opposed to some books that I am not really interested in rereading, namely because they are too long and that there are other books out there that I would rather spend my time reading) I have no longer appreciate this album as much as some of Herge's other stories.
Sammy
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
My review, as published at Tintin Books:

For a man who has been criticised (fairly or not) for sexism, padding of stories and racism to (among others) Africans, Jews, Native Americans, Japanese, Russians and Indians, it's amusing to think that his most controversial work amongst fans is probably "Flight 714", the penultimate completed adventure in the series. But, on re-reading, you can count me amongst those who think it was probably one big mistake.

"Flight 714" starts off strongly enough, with
Jazzy Lemon
Tintin, Snowy, the Captain, and Calculus are heading to Sydney for a conference when their connecting plane lands in Jakharta. They meet old acquaintances and some new ones and end up on a private plane with a millionaire then a new adventure and perils await!
Abbey Stellingwerff
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spoilers for those who have not read the book:

One of my favorite Tintin books. I love the hint of sci-fi, and the reappearance of Skut, the Estonian pilot. It's fun to see the recurring baddies - Allan and Rastapopolous, and see how Herge ultimately humiliates them. The "Wait for me Allan! Allan, wait! Don't go so fast!" at the end is particularly enjoyable.
We get some new characters... Mr. Carreidas, the millionaire who doesn't laugh, and his slimy secretary Spalding. And Dr. Krollspell is righ
Angus Mcfarlane
It feels like cheating to put tintin stories onto my reads for the year, but since this was the Spanish version, it seems fair enough - an easy start perhaps but my first completed book in Spanish! As a result, much of my attention was on verb conjugations and the plot was a secondary priority. But with a comic book, the visuals help maintain focus and are of course part of the humour. And with comics, it can be tempting to cheat by skimming the dialogue and just looking at the pictures. I don't ...more
Maria Carmo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
One of the funniest Tintin' books! Loved re-reading it!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 21 May 2020

In this adventure Tintin and Captain Haddock meet again their old enemy Rastapopoulos! The adventure - which starts with a seemingly innocuous plane trip, ends up being one of the most defying ones in terms of fights and counter coups...

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 20 January 2015.
Mazzy
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
funny, entertaining, made me laugh
Craig Ryan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
itchy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: portable
old friends and old enemies make appearances.
it seems the prof has met his match.
the captain seems tame this time.

giorgio tsoukalos should be endorsing this book.
Sam Julian
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Now this is a Tintin adventure!!! It's got everything! Death-defying stunts, new and interesting characters, epic set pieces. It really gives Tintin a chance to be his badass self, whereas in Castafiore Emerald he was mostly a side character. He's got this particular quiet but confident and absolutely unhesitating sense of duty that is somewhat unique among heroes, and it really endears me to him.

My favorite bit is towards the end, when (view spoiler)
Kevin
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funnybooks
Darker than most of Tintin's adventures, but it fares better than The Castafiore Emerald and Tintin and the Picaros, both of which have less the spark of the earlier stories. That spark is very much alive in Flight 714. When I was younger I must have found Mr Carriedas, the target of the plot's hijacking, despicable, and his awfulness diminished my enjoyment of the book. And though he's a horrible man with no redeeming characteristics, I can now better appreciate the fun Herge has with this mons ...more
Biondatina
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Our friends Tintin and Captain Haddock with Professor Calculus are traveling to Sydney, but as usually they get in trouble and they find themselves prisoners of their old enemy Mr. Rastapopoulos on an Indonesian island. This issue has a bit of science fiction and paranormal influences and even promotes the idea of communication between the extra-terrestrial and the humans. The central mystery is essentially left unresolved.
Poor Snow, in this issue it fell in a lake with turbulent waters and was
Benjamin Stahl
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The last bunch of Tintin comics I've revisited have been disappointing for the most part. This one, despite the fact that it is apparently unpopular among fans, was actually good in my opinion. Playing with aliens and telepathy, all set on a tropical island between Indonesia and Australia, it was rather more daring than many of them tend to be. An all-round good adventure.
Colin
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tintin books are the best. I've just re-read this for the first time since I was at school and it's still brilliant. I remembered quite a lot of it from before, but I'd forgotten the crazy Deus ex Machina ending, even more bonkers than Prisoners of the Sun. Love it.
Eva
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-bad
3.5/5
I love Tintin. This one isn't one of my top faves, but I still love reading it. I read Tintin every once-in-a-while because they're fast reads, they make me laugh, and are about adventure. I appreciate the inclusion of aeroplane dynamics in this one, and Lazlo's love for his hat is funny as always. Cuthbert would annoy me in real life, but he adds some spark to the comics so of course I love him.

I don't really know what else to say except that if you're looking for some light, adventure re
Simon
This is the first Tintin comic book I read, either this one or "Tintin in America" both of which are actually quite atypical for the series because they're both unusually late and early respectively in the series' run. I can gather that Hergé felt he had accomplished everything he could with the series when he finished "Tintin in Tibet", so he used a bunch of stories that played around with the basic concepts and ideas of the series in the later stories like this one.

For the most part it's a sur
Ricardo
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10, 20, 50, 100 Stars!! Loved this one! The was Hergé at his best. Futuristic, really well drawn, the story was great, really good intro and character presentation, not predictable at all.

******SPOILERS********

Aliens! Yeah you read it right, Aliens are mentioned in this comic book! Well... you don't actually see the aliens but that is the awesomeness of it! The story talks about aliens, embrace the idea of communication between hu
Diogo Muller
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, digital
This... this is a weird, weird book. It starts like pretty much any Tintin book, but it's tone and plot is closer to the weirdest books in the series... and I think this works well!

How is it any different than the other books in the series? Well, it has mora action than most Tintin books, and the type of action is a bit different too - we get things like gunfights, explosions and chases. There are also many mythical and extra-terrestrial elements here.

A great book, but I wouldn't be surprised if
Lotte
This album mixes crime with the supernatural. We meet some old friends (view spoiler).

There are a few winks to earlier albums (the band-aid, Tournesol risking to go berserk when Haddock asks him if he could stop "faire le zouave") and the settings were atmospheric, but the album wasn't that convincing to me.

The airplane has been designed by Roger Leloup who later started his own comic series, Yoko Tsuno
Thomas
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tintin, favorites
what a lot of evily ingenious plots but they are surely not going to work when Tintin is in them. unless they are his!.....this book also has a come back of a old friend read the book to find out!

Hmmm how many times have I read this??? You just cant get enough of Tintin! He never fails to please.
Max2k
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Flight 714 is definitely a very good Tintin adventure. Though not as exciting as the Black Island, and not as peculiar as the Shooting Star, 714 finds a nice middle ground, starting as a hijackers adventure comic book, and ending with literal alien abductions. If not for Rastapopoulos as the villain, the escapade would not have been as memorable. 4/5
Tom Loock
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Part 22 of my big re-read of the whole Tintin-canon after decades ...
I had not read this one before, .
This is the usual type of Tintin-adventure involving a journey, villains, a jailbreak - except ... for the very weird scene (view spoiler) towards the end.

Verdict: Okay.
Karhum Ghassan
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the last book i read and found out it is not bad at first you dont enjoy but after some while it became more enjoyable cool book
Johara Almogbel
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this one, very close call! I love Herge's colors, they're so vivid.
Tia
Mar 27, 2018 added it
Funny!
Paul Weiss
Pas votre histoire comique moyenne!

Vol 714 pour Sydney is not your average comic book adventure story crafted merely for young readers.

Tintin, his dog Snowy, and their friends Captain Haddock and Calculus are en route to Sydney to attend an astronautical conference. During a brief stop over in Jakarta, they meet millionaire, Laszlo Carreidas, known as "the man who never laughs". When the antics of the deaf and lovable Professor Calculus actually manage to make Carreidas howl with laughter, he ex
Natalie
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Tintin's adventures are pure fun. There's always action, adventure, and humor. These comics definitely have an Indiana Jones feel to them - though they predate those movies by several decades.

I love the friendship between Tintin, Captain Haddock, and Professor Calculus. I also like that other characters from previous comics make appearances in this one. I did miss Thompson and Thomson though. They're probably the funniest.

A very enjoyable adventure.
Roger Flores-Chacon
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I chose the book since I love the Tintin series. In this book, Tintin and some of his friends are captured onboard a private jet heading the wrong way they wanted to. They stay at an Island until a very famous German astronomer hypnotises the crew into thinking that they crash landed on the water instead of remembering that they climbed aboard a flying saucer to save their lives. There were no controversial topics, the title fits the book, and that's all I have to say about this book.
Gareth
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Somewhere between a 4 and a 5 to me. Not as complex or nuanced as some of this other adventures, and not quite to level of my favourites, but is just plain fun this one. Certainly gets into the quite fantastical at the end, but overall the plot is pretty good I think, going from one issue to another as old friends and foes emerge. Quite a bit of humour in this as well from many quarters, and is generally just a good, fun, light read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tintin: Complete Companion
  • Asterix in Switzerland (Asterix, #16)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix at the Olympic Games (Asterix, #12)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • The Mansions of the Gods (Astérix, #17)
  • Asterix and the Cauldron (Asterix, #13)
  • Asterix and the Great Crossing (Asterix, #22)
  • Asterix in Belgium (Asterix, #24)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)
  • Asterix in Corsica (Asterix, #20)
  • Asterix in Spain (Asterix, #14)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin #10)

News & Interviews