Start by marking “The Old Money Book” as Want to Read:
The Old Money Book

The Old Money Book

"The Old Money Book: How To Live Better While Spending Less - Secrets of America's Upper Class" shows anyone of any income level how to improve their life by adopting the values, habits, and priorities of Old Money. Whether you're just starting out or starting over, The Old Money Book is an informative and entertaining guide to Living Better While Spending Less.
Published October 15th 2014 (first published April 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Old Money Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Money Book

Start your review of The Old Money Book
Alena Pettitt
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.

It is full of so much great advice that should be on the national curriculum for young adults prior to entering "the real world". It's the type of book that you wish you'd have read years ago - I certainly wish I'd had this in my arsenal 15 years ago, it would have saved me from so many pitfalls (mainly financial).

Tully's writing style is very friendly and agreeable, like an old trusted pal pulling you aside to give you some welcome tidbits that you need to hear. Tit
Heather Propes
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know this sounds like a snob appeal book for "preppies" and social climbers, but it's not. It's a really good practical guide to living well, even on limited money. He actually recommends going to thrift stores several time. I really like Tully's views, which are pro-environment, diversity, and just living a simple life. And he priced his ebook at 2.99. Way to go, old chap!
Holly
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Chrisolu
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
cute
Jerry
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Old Money Book by Byron Tully should be a required read before graduating high school. It's filled with common sense helpful hints that everyone should follow. Thanks Byron Tully for putting it all together. I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
Elizabeth B
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Give copy as gifts to kids and young relatives...good advice here.
Alicia Fox
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was another quick-read freebie. The money advice is good (and more or less reads like things my late grandmother advised). The rest is full of the -isms you'd expect (classism, sexism, etc.). The snobbery seems rather affected, too, like an actor playing a stuffy butler based on the performances of other actors, never having actually met or observed the real thing.

It's difficult for me to be too tough on a book like this, though. Personally, I can laugh off the silly conformist stuff, becau
Eric
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Reads a bit more like a pamphlet than a book. This is a humorous guide to living a classy life that would be admired by "old money." I was happy to learn that my recent purchase of slacks from Brooks Brothers would be looked fondly upon by Old Money. But the fact that I don't wear a navy blue blazer is an issue.
Claire Kennedy
Although this title may look tricky, this really IS how the truly wealthy (those that inherit their money) keep it and spend it, because they inherit it, they have a limited amount - granted more than the rest of us, but they are also taught how to keep it from generation to generation to generation and on and on.
Brian Weisz
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of the advice is spot-on, 100% correct. I just wish the book wasn't so short. The advice is given almost like a proverb - a short, quick truth without any expounding. Tully should try to inspire us to behave in these ways - perhaps with stories - not just tell us what those ways are.

Also, I didn't get a lot of the (wink, nod) references.
izrtkfliers
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm on a bit of a manners and etiquette kick right now, and Bobos in Paradise awakened a desire in me to get to know the elusive 'old money' upper class. Most of it aligns with my expectations. The book itself is very readable.
Bill
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Odd mix of good advice (some very obvious, however) and an annoying level of colloquialism where the author constantly writes a sentence and follows it with "(wink, nod)."
Karen Strecker Reidy
Tully is just a wee bit self satisfied, but his financial and lifestyle advice for young people is spot on (whether you come from old money, want to be old money, or not).
Michelle Weijia
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading “The Old Money Book”

To begin, I’m quoting two texts from the book which shows what the book is about and what is really important to the Old Money’s way of living.
- “The purpose of this book is to help people who want to live fuller, happier, and more productive lives do so by learning about and emulating the values, priorities, and habits of ‘Old Money’. “
- “The way Old Money dresses and lives are symptomatic of its values, not the core of them; these values may require more time, effo
1o_o1
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent practical guide to living life to the fullest

Most people's perception of wealth is colored by what they see portrayed in popular media, and by the nouveau riche. While I'm already aware of how the truly wealthy, i.e. Old Rich, really lives and what they are like, I still found the principles presented to be accurate and fascinating. The writing is clear and concise. This book will make you think about what is really necessary and meaningful in life. It will open your eyes to things
Betsie
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have so many thoughts on this book! The (Wink, Nod) was so annoying and came across as snobby. I disagree with him on a few topics, but most held truths. After looking at his picture on the back I just can’t take fashion advice from him. With as much emphasis he put on dressing timeless his picture looks dated. He should at least have used a white background. He looks cheap. I know...I know...I shouldn’t judge his book on his picture, but he does devote a lengthy chapter on how to dress. His a ...more
Tram Nguyen
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
I'm officially a fan of Byron Tully after this book and Old Money, New Woman. Tully is like the classy and knowledgeable grandpa that everyone wishes to have. His writing is crisp, articulate yet still so comfortable to read. You won't feel the superior nor the distance tone or anything off-putting while turning the pages. I will revisit this book for when I want to reaffirm on a big decision in life, such as buying mortgage, buying cars, investing or just simply learning about manners. Feeling ...more
Carla
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great information

Short, concise, easy to read. I like his no nonsense approach and lack of politically correct jargon. He gave great tips that really made sense to help get you off of the fast fashion merry-go-round. This country needs more people with class and social graces. You don't have to have money to attain those just common sense and direction. I'm looking forward to the next book! Thank you Mr. Tully.
Becky J
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good advice... but I feel like most of it should be obvious after a bit of reflection? And I don't think I'd call it 'old money' living, just wise living. It's mostly common sense. (That said... I did pay for it and didn't get it from the library, which would have been the common sense thing to do.)
Camille
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent read

I'm always interested in learning how to save and invest money. This book gave me practical ways of doing that. It reminded me of how my grandmother and my mother did things as I was growing up. It reminded me and refreshed me of what I need to continue doing in my life.
Marcelle
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interestingly Insightful

This book is not what I expected when I began reading. It has however exceeded my expectations as I have been able to gain deep understanding of what it truly means to be an old money
Zaire
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An impressive read!

I picked out this book on a whim,not entirely knowing what to expect. This was surprisingly good! It really does teach you the value of saving and investing in experiences rather than material goods. Highly recommend.
Sreekumar
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Common sense in a small package

Common sense advice in a small book that anyone can follow. The chapter on health was the most interesting as it was prioritized above saving money. That caught me by surprise and made me think about my own health.
M Chris Clark
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Read

Aside from the reading itself, the book makes one realize what matters. The rules of politeness alone give a tangible social clue, as it is becoming increasingly rare, even among the affluent. Wonderful.
Helen Redfield
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read- quick, accurate and with a sense of humor!

Got it to help me understand a good friend who had, what I thought, were issues with constantly trying to do more, learn more, and improve.
Maria Martinic
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Feels like my dad wrote this on his sleep, at times witty, at times snobbish it just makes sense.
Roxy
An unexpected guide to a minimalism that is attainable for me. My fascination with the East Coast Preppy lifestyle lead me here. Good read.
Dee
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Weird.
Hazel
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
very interesting read, touches on the most common tendencies
Deborah Greer
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I really enjoyed this book. It’s a good book to refer to again and again for advice. I liked the way he writes by getting right to the point with sage advice.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Class: A Guide Through the American Status System
  • True Prep: It's a Whole New Old World
  • How to Look Expensive: A Beauty Editor's Secrets to Getting Gorgeous without Breaking the Bank
  • The Official Preppy Handbook
  • Trivium: The Classical Liberal Arts of Grammar, Logic, & Rhetoric
  • Yuppie Handbook: The State-Of-The Art Manual for Young Urban Professionals
  • Girl Culture
  • Harting Training System
  • Transform Your Thinking, Transform Your Life: Radically Change Your Thoughts, Your World, Your Destiny
  • Rodham
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Oyibo
  • The Other People
  • The Elements of Active Prose
  • War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America's Most Decorated Soldier
  • Esquire How to Be a Man: A Handbook of Advice, Inspiration, and Occasional Drinking
Grandson of a newspaper publisher and son of an oil industry executive, Byron Tully is the author of "The Old Money Book".

His first book of poetry, "Beneath This Mountain" was published in the fall of 2015.

His second nonfiction book, "The Hindu Way To Wealth" was also published that same year.

"The Old Money Guide To Marriage" was published in January of 2016.

Byron lives in Los Angeles and travel

News & Interviews

“The likelihood that anything traumatic or life-changing can or will happen during the time you have your phone turned off is miniscule. If something does happen, the timeframe in which you learn about it will, in all probability, make no difference.” 0 likes
“The executor should be made aware, prior to your death, that you want them to act in this capacity. They should be comfortable with this responsibility and have the time and ability to do it. You may consider videotaping the two of you reviewing your will verbally, on camera, to confirm the conditions set forth in it.” 0 likes