Start by marking “The Old Money Book” as Want to Read:
The Old Money Book

The Old Money Book

"The Old Money Book: How To Live Better While Spending Less - Secrets of America's Upper Class" shows anyone of any income level how to improve their life by adopting the values, habits, and priorities of Old Money. Whether you're just starting out or starting over, The Old Money Book is an informative and entertaining guide to Living Better While Spending Less.
Published October 15th 2014 (first published April 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Old Money Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Money Book

Alena Pettitt
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.

It is full of so much great advice that should be on the national curriculum for young adults prior to entering "the real world". It's the type of book that you wish you'd have read years ago - I certainly wish I'd had this in my arsenal 15 years ago, it would have saved me from so many pitfalls (mainly financial).

Tully's writing style is very friendly and agreeable, like an old trusted pal pulling you aside to give you some welcome tidbits that you need to hear. Tit
Heather Propes
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know this sounds like a snob appeal book for "preppies" and social climbers, but it's not. It's a really good practical guide to living well, even on limited money. He actually recommends going to thrift stores several time. I really like Tully's views, which are pro-environment, diversity, and just living a simple life. And he priced his ebook at 2.99. Way to go, old chap!
Holly
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Chrisolu
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
cute
Elizabeth B
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Give copy as gifts to kids and young relatives...good advice here.
Alicia Fox
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was another quick-read freebie. The money advice is good (and more or less reads like things my late grandmother advised). The rest is full of the -isms you'd expect (classism, sexism, etc.). The snobbery seems rather affected, too, like an actor playing a stuffy butler based on the performances of other actors, never having actually met or observed the real thing.

It's difficult for me to be too tough on a book like this, though. Personally, I can laugh off the silly conformist stuff, becau
Claire Kennedy
Although this title may look tricky, this really IS how the truly wealthy (those that inherit their money) keep it and spend it, because they inherit it, they have a limited amount - granted more than the rest of us, but they are also taught how to keep it from generation to generation to generation and on and on.
Eric
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Reads a bit more like a pamphlet than a book. This is a humorous guide to living a classy life that would be admired by "old money." I was happy to learn that my recent purchase of slacks from Brooks Brothers would be looked fondly upon by Old Money. But the fact that I don't wear a navy blue blazer is an issue.
Jerry
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Old Money Book by Byron Tully should be a required read before graduating high school. It's filled with common sense helpful hints that everyone should follow. Thanks Byron Tully for putting it all together. I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
GirlFromTexas
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tully is just a wee bit self satisfied, but his financial and lifestyle advice for young people is spot on (whether you come from old money, want to be old money, or not).
Carla
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great information

Short, concise, easy to read. I like his no nonsense approach and lack of politically correct jargon. He gave great tips that really made sense to help get you off of the fast fashion merry-go-round. This country needs more people with class and social graces. You don't have to have money to attain those just common sense and direction. I'm looking forward to the next book! Thank you Mr. Tully.
notRahimeanymore
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good advice... but I feel like most of it should be obvious after a bit of reflection? And I don't think I'd call it 'old money' living, just wise living. It's mostly common sense. (That said... I did pay for it and didn't get it from the library, which would have been the common sense thing to do.)
Brian Weisz
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of the advice is spot-on, 100% correct. I just wish the book wasn't so short. The advice is given almost like a proverb - a short, quick truth without any expounding. Tully should try to inspire us to behave in these ways - perhaps with stories - not just tell us what those ways are.

Also, I didn't get a lot of the (wink, nod) references.
Marcelle
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interestingly Insightful

This book is not what I expected when I began reading. It has however exceeded my expectations as I have been able to gain deep understanding of what it truly means to be an old money
Zaire
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An impressive read!

I picked out this book on a whim,not entirely knowing what to expect. This was surprisingly good! It really does teach you the value of saving and investing in experiences rather than material goods. Highly recommend.
Cynthia
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good advice for anyone. Too bad it wasn't longer.
Dee
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Weird.
Hazel
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
very interesting read, touches on the most common tendencies
Bill
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Odd mix of good advice (some very obvious, however) and an annoying level of colloquialism where the author constantly writes a sentence and follows it with "(wink, nod)."
Mizloo
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun read

A fun read. Made me feel like an OMG myself even though I am of quite modest means. OMG=old money gal according to the author.
Mizloo
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of a waste. Turns out I'm already an OMG (Old Money Gal).
Lorena Zorrilla
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read.

Have bought it in paper to give as a present to young nieces and my own family.
Read it at least every year.
Maria Martinic
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Feels like my dad wrote this on his sleep, at times witty, at times snobbish it just makes sense.
Deborah Greer
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I really enjoyed this book. It’s a good book to refer to again and again for advice. I liked the way he writes by getting right to the point with sage advice.
Roxy
An unexpected guide to a minimalism that is attainable for me. My fascination with the East Coast Preppy lifestyle lead me here. Good read.
Melissa Bishop
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must have gift for everyone but especially for your kids no matter how much money you have. This book has the potential to change the life of anyone who reads it.
Chris Appel
good life advice. nothing really to do about old money just habits of success
Christine Kenney
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick, sensible read. I took exception with about an eighth of the advice, largely around sourcing one's wardrobe at Brooks Brothers, but agreed with the underlying principles.
Peter
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, loaded with great social skills and financial conduct. Maybe the only "Self-help" book I'd recommend.
Zinge
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quick, good read! 2017 is a year of prosperity so why not celebrate by reading books focused on abundance? :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Natural History of the Rich: A Field Guide
  • Thirty Chic Days: Practical Inspiration for a Beautiful Life
  • Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life
  • Do One Thing Different: Ten Simple Ways to Change Your Life
  • Why People Fail: The 16 obstacles to success and how you can overcome them
  • Delizia!: The Epic History of the Italians and Their Food
  • Brave: 50 Everyday Acts of Courage to Thrive in Work, Love, and Life
  • Dangerous Instincts: How Gut Feelings Betray Us
  • Selling Sickness: How the World's Biggest Pharmaceutical Companies are Turning Us All into Patients
  • Power of Positive Living
  • How to Look Expensive: A Beauty Editor's Secrets to Getting Gorgeous without Breaking the Bank
  • Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic: Lessons in Everyday Elegance
  • Nice Girls Don't Get Rich: 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make with Money
  • The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships
Grandson of a newspaper publisher and son of an oil industry executive, Byron Tully is the author of "The Old Money Book".

His first book of poetry, "Beneath This Mountain" was published in the fall of 2015.

His second nonfiction book, "The Hindu Way To Wealth" was also published that same year.

"The Old Money Guide To Marriage" was published in January of 2016.

Byron lives in Los Angeles and travel
“The likelihood that anything traumatic or life-changing can or will happen during the time you have your phone turned off is miniscule. If something does happen, the timeframe in which you learn about it will, in all probability, make no difference.” 0 likes
“The executor should be made aware, prior to your death, that you want them to act in this capacity. They should be comfortable with this responsibility and have the time and ability to do it. You may consider videotaping the two of you reviewing your will verbally, on camera, to confirm the conditions set forth in it.” 0 likes