Start by marking “Twist of Faith (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)” as Want to Read:
Twist of Faith (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Twist of Faith

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Uneasy Peace. Worlds In Flux. Tests Of Faith.

The Final Episode Was Only The Beginning.

The Dominion War is over...or is it? Three months after the Allied victory against the invaders from the Gamma Quadrant, a surprise attack awakens the fear of renewed hostilities. At the same time, a senseless murder sets a space station commander on a path that will test the limits of

Published July 3rd 2007 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Twist of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twist of Faith

Start your review of Twist of Faith (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
Quartzen
This post-TV continuation of DS9 was something of a mixed bag, but overall continued in the spirit of the original series with meditations on religious faith (and lack of it) and war. With the finale sending so much of the cast off to different places, there are several of original characters here- my favorite addition was definitely Ro Laren from TNG, who takes over Odo's position as security chief, and my least favorite was the thoroughly eyeroll-inducing Elias Vaughn, a 101-year-old Starfleet ...more
Impoeia
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing continuation of my favourite Star Trek series!

Deep Space 9 fascinated me with a cast of characters as flawed as they were good and an episodes that dared to go where previous Star Trek shows hardly dared to tread: the daunting grey areas of life. "Twist of Faith" carries on that legacy and the struggle of a people trying to find their place in a galaxy still reeling from war.

I loved the insights gained into characters I've known for the better part of my adult life. Kira's struggles
Carlissa
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Star Trek fans
This omnibus ebook contains the two-part Avatar, Abyss, Demons of Air and Darkness, and the novella Horn and Ivory. It picks up where the tv show leaves off. I read this book back in 2008, so this is a re-read for me. I loved all of the Star Trek tv shows, but I think DS9 is one of my favorites. This book definitely is a must read for DS9 fans!

(view spoiler)
Meg Dean
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Not my favorite Star Trek collection...but I have read worse.
Matt Dyson-Bird
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A Good Start

Like a lot of fandom books the tales in this omnibus are not amazing but they are at least good. The difficulty of taking the end of a long running series, especially one that tied itself up so well as DS9, and running with it is large but these step up to the task well and make me at least interested in reading more.
Shelby Lynne
2019 is the year I stop being ashamed of loving badly-written paperbacks with frustratingly cisheterosexual characters & a terrible grasp of the English language. Or, we all have our vices and apparently mine are Deep Space Nine novels. Don't be ashamed to pleasure read, kids. Sometimes you need a break from the heavy stuff.
Violet
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give the collection a 3.5 overall, but the first two novels, “Avatar, books 1 and 2”, were fantastic and deserve a higher rating of 4.5. I highly recommend the Avatar books to all Star Trek Deep Space 9 fans. It is a MUCH better continuation and ending than season 7 gave us.
Karolis Krikstanas
Feeds the desire for more Deep Soace 9

A really excellent start the continuation of the ds9 story. My only real complaint is that at some parts the stories seem rushed, with that said I cant wait to read the continuation.
Ross
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid continuation of the DS9 World

I wanted this to be more than it was, as I miss DS9 dearly. But once I settled in and accepted these books for what they are, I enjoyed them.
Erik
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
Twist of Faith is an omnibus collecting four Star Trek tie-in novels and a novella that continue the story of Deep Space 9 and its crew. In short: I loved this book. I’d wanted to read the beginnings of the DS9 relaunch for ages now and this omnibus edition was the perfect solution (as opposed to buying all the books separately).
The stories were all very well put together, giving attention (and a very good voice) to those regulars that were left behind on the station (or from elsewhere in the ST
Tina
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was almost dreading this book, because I so desperately wanted it to be good. Luckily, it didn't let me down! This book was everything I would want from DS9 if it had gone on for an eighth season. The plots were interesting, intricate and pulled no punches, the character development was meaningful, believable and thought out, and the new faces fit in perfectly!

Since this book contains several novels, I'll review them each:

Avatar Book 1 and 2:
These books were a fantastic start to the DS9
Kristen Kellick
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to know what happened to DS9 after the end of the TV series.
This book was originally published as several separate novels, plus an additional short story. As much for my own sense of progress as anything else, I will try to make notes on each novel as I complete it.

Avatar Book One of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine): A nice, steady build-up of events and characters (old and new) leading into the next part.

Avatar Book Two of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine): Pacing and story remained excellent. The last chapter or two took it's time wrapping up loose
Gewbook
This was a fun read and it satisfied my "what happens next" curiosity (mostly - very disappointed that Jake's story did not resolve in this book - I looked it up on Memory Beta). But this omnibus is about Kira's storyline and her arc goes all the way through and is resolved beautifully in The Ivory and the Horn. Very nice.
The Avatar books were fun, but a little too much in the Enterprise crew's heads - I would rather have spent time with Nog dealing with his PTSD while having a Jem H'Dar on the
Jesse
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A good continuation to the Deep Space Nine series. I say good when the geek in me wants to say great, but unfortunately I have to say the last author in the book, Kieth R. A. DeCandido, is not the strongest of the bunch and he takes up the last 3rd of the book. The first too book in this collection are excellent, and manage to capture entirely the personalities of the character as well as the flavor of the world. The second book is my favorite as it focuses around Bashir and another genetically ...more
Jonathan
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a lover of Star Trek:DS9 series on television during its seven years and started reading the books just recently and the first one I picked up was this book because it continues with the series right after it ended its series run.
This book contains the books: Avatar Book 1 & 2 by S.D. Perry, Abyss by David Weddle, Demons of Air & Darkness by Keith R.A. DeCandido, and the novella Horn & Ivory. It happens 3 months after during a month or two period.
This book I thought
Madeline
These were actually . . . pretty good? The first three are solid, in the way DS9 episodes were solid. Nice characterization, interesting plots, some thoughtful explorations of "important themes," Julian Bashir being a dork/surprisingly dark. And they have some of the delights of the show, too: hello, Lt. Nog!!!! Doing your job! Making new friends!! Nog is actually the best part of DS9 that isn't Garak or baseball.

The prose is kind of invisible, which I think is the way to go. There are some
Michael
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Collection of four DS9 novels and a short story. Some of these I enjoyed less than others, but overall it was cool to revisit DS9.

I will say it would have been nice if the series had ended without gutting the cast. No Sisko, no Odo, no O'Brien, no Dukat, no Jadzia, mostly no Garak, no Weyoun... wait, who the heck is left? OK, I guess there's a few people still left on the station.

Also (this is sort of a SPOILER for the book):

Jake going missing seemed to prompt a lot less concern from the
Jenny
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DS9 fans, Star Trek fans
Shelves: sf, re-read, tv, women-writers
Short version: if you are a fan of the TV series Deep Space Nine, you MUST read this book (books).

This is an omnibus of the first four books (plus one short story) in the DS9 post-series books, often called the "DS9 Relaunch" by fans. If you liked the TV series, you must read these books, either in this omnibus form or as I did, originally, as separate titles (Avatar books 1 & 2, Abyss, Demons of Air and Darkness, and the story "Horn and Ivory" which appears in one of the Tales from the
Harold Head
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished rewatching DS9 from start to finish - it remains one of my favorite Trek shows - and I wanted to go on, to see (boldly!) what happens to the characters and plots that were left unresolved. This compilation does that beautifully. The stories are interesting and engaging, with several new well fleshed-out characters introduced and additional characters from other Trek lines brought in. To the latter, I'd say the authors go a little overboard - it can get a little claustrophobic, ...more
Brian
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I finally got this monkey of a book off my back and finished it after over a year of reading.

It was awesome getting to follow up on Deep Space Nine after the show ended... and the chracters and stories seem to be above average. I really like how the Deep Space Nine has evolved with a new Federation commander, a Jem Hadar joining the crew etc... But at the same time it will never be as good as the show.

It also suffers from the same kind of stuff that all multiple authors have, some threads
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Originally published as "Avatar" books one & two. An ambitious continuation of the DS9 saga...and it sets up some interesting dynamics. Later books would eventually bring much of this to a premature (and slightly mystifying) conclusion...but on its own, it's a fantastic attempt to pick up where 24th century Trek's best series left off.
Bill
Feb 10, 2011 marked it as shelved-maybe-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I'm excited to start the DS9-relaunch books. The first two were a great continuation. But I had little interest in the Gateways books...I don't enjoy crossover series much. Some inconsistency between characterizations over the two...still...
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very nice in-depth book that took the end of the TV series and added new and wonderful elements, even weaving in other series. It still left open the Kira/Odo love story for further novels. Nicely done, very even but interesting read, good for moms with only 15 minutes at a time ;)
Daniel Cornwall
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done, true to characters. Left me with more questions than answers. Happy that this story is continued in These Haunted Seas.
Pete Mitchell

A fantastic continuation of an interesting storyline. I'm very much looking forward to the next books in this series re-launch.
Mark Hill
Feb 07, 2013
Travis Anderson
May 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • These Haunted Seas (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Homecoming (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #1)
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
  • The Official Dsa Theory Test For Car Drivers: Valid For Theory Tests Taken From 3rd September 2007 (With New Highway Code): And The Official Highway Code: ... 3rd September 2007 (With New Highway Code)
  • The Autistic Buddha
  • The Autistic Spectrum
  • The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT
  • Autism: Explaining the Enigma
  • The Autistic Brothers
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Deadly Sanctuary (Kendall O'Dell #1)
SD Perry (Stephani Danelle, by the way, though she prefers SD or Danelle) has been writing novelizations and tie-ins for most of her adult life. Best known for her work in the shared multiverses of Resident Evil, Star Trek, and Aliens, SD is a horror nerd and an introvert. Her father is acclaimed science fiction author Steve Perry. SD lives with her family in Portland, Oregon.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Emissary
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Bloodletter
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • Warchild (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #7)
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)
“Why didn’t you say that’s what you were planning in the first place?” Vaughn smiled. “Because, Doctor, when they make you a commander, they take the bone out of your head that makes you explain orders.” 0 likes
“At the moment, she felt like she couldn’t possibly be surprised . . . and she knew from experience that feeling that way was usually when the universe decided to shake things up a little more, to try and find out what a person was created from, clay or sand, adapt or crumble. As” 0 likes