Start by marking “There's a Hole in the Bucket” as Want to Read:
There's a Hole in the Bucket

There's a Hole in the Bucket

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Where is Henry going? Why, to fetch some water. There's just one small problem. . . . There's a hole in the bucket! Henry tries to patch the hole, setting in motion a complicated, hilarious sequence of events. Illustrated.
Published March 1st 1990 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about There's a Hole in the Bucket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Hole in the Bucket

Valerie
This is probably not the edition I've read through, and it's certainly not the version I heard, in which the man's name is John.

What's really needed is a version with music, so the reader can sing the song.

It really works best with very young children. I was probably about six when I first heard it, and at first I was just listening to a pleasant sounding song. But I began to catch on about two steps before the end. And that's how it's supposed to work. At first, you're just idly listening to t
Mallory
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book. I liked it! (Obviously, I gave it four stars). I like the silliness of the story and cartoony looking characters. Liza's expressions are a hoot. It's fun to sing along to, as well.
Julie Surface
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
FUNNY! i couldn't sing it because i was laughing to hard.
this farmer had to get water for his wife, and there was a hole in the bucket. she tried telling him how to fix it, so he got her wet in the end.
Liesl Hawkins
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january
I loved reading this book because it reminds me of my childhood and how my mother would play this song for us in the car. There were good illustrations that helped the story to be more enjoyable. This is a good story.
Kayla Skeans
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: january
If you want to teach students a funny song to go with a book then this is the right book.
Vivian
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Other related books on the theme of "Holes" which would work better with a slightly older group include this
Kazima
Really cute drawings!!
ABC
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
This book has cute pictures for a song which could get otherwise get boring. Ends with Henry pouring the bucket of water on Liza, but the next page shows them playing together in the water.
Juliet
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was cute! I'd never actually had heard the entire song, I just remember singing "there's a hole in the bucket" so it was fun discovering all of the lyrics.
Kathy
Feb 08, 2009 rated it liked it
The song got a little boring to read by the end of the book but I love the last few pages! So cute!
Alicia
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Okay, I like that it is a song that is a book, but I'm not impressed by the drawings.
Alissa Sparks
I find this book a good memory from my childhood. I find children would enjoy it with doing some hand motions while slinging the words.
Crystal
Jul 22, 2015
Kelly
May 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Nadine Bernard Westcott is the illustrator of many popular books for children, including Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash and Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash, as well as the author and illustator of The Lady With The Alligator Purse. She used to spend many hours chasing after her dog, who would come home only when ready and not a minute sooner. Ms. Westcott lives on Nantucket with her husband, B ...more
More about Nadine Bernard Westcott...