Start by marking “Das Oscar-Wilde-Album” as Want to Read:
Das Oscar-Wilde-Album

Das Oscar-Wilde-Album

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This collection of over 150 photographs and cartoons illuminates the life of Oscar Wilde, from his childhood, fame and imprisonment through to his death in Paris in 1900.
Hardcover, einmalige Sonderausgabe, 191 pages
Published 2003 by Blessing (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Das Oscar-Wilde-Album, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Oscar-Wilde-Album

Nikoleta
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Νομίζω ότι μια βιβλιογραφία δεν θα έπρεπε να είναι διαφορετική από την βιογραφία που έγραψε ο Μέρλιν Χόλαντ για τον παππού του Όσκαρ Ουάϊλντ. Δεν κάνει υποθέσεις, δεν κριτικάρει, δεν βάζει συναίσθημα. Αφήνει το φωτογραφικό υλικό να παράγει συναίσθημα στον αναγνώστη και τα γεγονότα να του δώσουν κριτική ματιά. Πολύ καλογραμμένη, από έναν συγγραφέα που η κληρονομιά του στο όνομα Ουάϊλντ τον καθιστά κατάλληλο για να καταγράψει την πιο φερέγγυα βιογραφία για μια τόσο έξυπνη, αξιοθαύμαστη αλλά συνάμα ...more
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
Wow this was a pretty freaking awesome book. It was written by Oscar Wilde's only grandson, Merlin Holland. Oscar sure was lucky to have a grandson who was fascinated enough by his grandfather to even go the point to explore for these extremely obscure photographs and super old posters for "The Importance of Being Ernest". Then again...if one of my grandparents was considered one of the best humorists of the 19th century and was known for his wit and his lyrical/poetry like sense of writing then ...more
Brisbride13
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself readying for a trip home on the city bus and discovered I had nothing but movies in my bag, so walked to nearest section of the library and began searching. This book jumped off the shelf at me because of its size; if I didn't like it, I could easily abandon it and read something else. I ended up reading it on commercials on "football Sunday" and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did , however, feel it odd that one man of his time would have sooo many pictures of himself! These weren't can ...more
Cagliostro
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ένα βιβλίο απο τον εγγονό του Όσκαρ Ουαιλντ με πλούσιο φωτογραφικό υλικό που προσφέρει μια ευσύνοπτη βιογραφία για την ταραχώδη ζωή του παππού του.Προσφέρει μια γεύση της ανήσυχης φύσης του προικισμένου συγγραφέα, αποτελώντας κατ' αυτόν τον τρόπο την ιδανική εισαγωγή για κάποιον που επιθυμεί να εντρυφήσει στα έργα του.
Adam Grimes
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
An absolutely wonderful read! Written by Oscar's Grandson, Melvin Holland, this book includes many family photographs/playhouse posters which won't be found in many books on the same subject. The balance between words and pictures is perfect, the text not going into too much detail and flowing perfectly for it. A must-read for all fans of Oscar Wilde.
Roberta
Apr 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend that anyone who is a fan of Wilde - the man, not just the author - read Holland's works, as well as his father, Vyvyan's ( Ocsar's son... Holland was the last name he was given after he was adopted by another family after Constance passed away ) .

I found this book to be.. well, tears sprung to my eyes. It offered a different perspective that few even bothered to document.
Joanna
It's so interesting to read a biography on Oscar Wilde that refers to him as "my grandfather." I was afraid that this would be maybe a bit delusional (because sometimes descendents who publish books seem to have some sort of agenda regarding their ancestors) but Holland is surprisingly objective and clear-eyed. And the pictures! Oscar Wilde gets me in my lady bits.
Lee Regan
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
p. 128 Oscar Wilde: "I love superstitions. They are the colour element of thought and imagination. Common sense is the enemy of romance. Leave us some unreality. Do not make us too offensively sane."
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT! written by oscar wilde's grandson, who is a Oscolar in his own right. it's small, short, and has lots of rare photos and prints from the era. also a great reference section where i was able to find more books and do more research and study on OW and the people he knew.
Lord Beardsley
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oscar Wildeaholics
Recommended to Lord by: ...
Shelves: books-read-2005
A beautifully designed look at Oscar Wilde's family photos arranged by his grandson, whose name really is Merlin.
Linda
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contains photos of Oscar Wilde with commentary. Nicely put together.
Ryan
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of Wilde this lovely collection of images is a personal memento lovingly put together by Oscar's grandson. It is flawless and a regular go to book. 100% recommend this to all.
Margery Meadow
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and touching. Accompanied by Holland's loving but clear-eyed capsule biography and commentary.
Matt
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting little book by Oscar's grandson. It contains a wealth of photographs and reproductions of artwork. Just a nice little book.
Claudia
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
written by Oscar Wilde's grandson. lovely and heart-breaking.
Tine Hreno
Leandra Vane
Sep 17, 2016
Oscar B.
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merlin Holland es el nieto de Oscar Wilde. Su libro semeja más un álbum familiar con fotos, recuerdos, cartas, acuarelas pintadas por Wilde, etc etc. Un libro encantador que compré en un Barnes&Noble de Washington, DC, esperando que pasarán las tres horas que tenía libres una mañana de invierno, antes de una aburrida reunión con los burócratas del Banco Mundial.
Como es de formato pequeño y tiene casi 200 páginas, estuve cerca de terminarlo pero decidí dedicar la última media hora a tomar un
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Jane Austen, Obstinate Heart: A Biography
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Oscar Wilde and the Vampire Murders (Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Built of Books: How Reading Defined the Life of Oscar Wilde
  • Forgiveness Parade
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • Dear Bunny, Dear Volodya: The Nabokov-Wilson Letters, 1940-1971
  • Allan Stein
  • Passion
  • A Bintel Brief: Sixty Years of Letters from the Lower East Side to the Jewish Daily Forward
  • The Civil War: The First Year Told by Those Who Lived It