Start by marking “Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry” as Want to Read:
Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry

Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry

Zen teachings and Druidry combine to create a peaceful life path that is completely dedicated to the here and now.
Published April 26th 2013 by Moon Books (first published April 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry

Start your review of Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
The book does connect Zen and Druidry at the very basic level, so I guess it fulfilled its mission. I agree with the author's foundational argument about living in the moment and not letting emotions rule you.

However, the writing is very repetitive, weak, and surface level. Zen's tenants, as portrayed, can be contradictory, which the author addresses with the written equivalent of a shrug and says that we should just accept it. The author's continual assertion that everyone should be kind and co
Nikki Shields
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! The premise of this Pagan Portals volume is that "Zen teachings and Druidry can combine to create a peaceful life path that is completely and utterly dedicated to the here and now, to the earth and her rhythms, and to the flow that is life itself."

To begin, the author gives a brief yet comprehensive overview of Zen Buddhism (while pointing out that the precepts of Zen need not be associated with a particular religious tradition) and Druidry. Her simple and eloquent writing sty
Tommy /|\
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up from Amazon's Kindle bookstore, thinking that the small 74-page size, and the relatively low-cost of the book would make it something close to a pamphlet rather than a book. Was I ever wrong. While the 74-page size made for some really quick reading, the material is extremely deep and powerfully full of meaning. The start of the book steps into the concepts of Zen and then walks the reader through the concepts of Druidry. Neither are extremely detailed, but rather very well thou ...more
Nimue Brown
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Druids, pagans, Zen people, seekers
This is a fascinating book that lays out the core concepts of both Zen and Druidry, exploring the points of overlap and the ways in which these two traditions compliment each other. The writing is precise, lucid and beautifully accessible whilst managing to put across a vast amount of information in a very small space. I would say that even if you aren’t attracted to the idea of Zen, this book is still well worth your time, because of what it shows through the contrast between the two traditions ...more
Trey
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Nice Melding of Druidry and Zen

This book is exactly what the title suggests and is just whatnot was looking for. A little explanation of Zen, a little of druidry, and some discussion on how the two can fit together and also fit into a spiritual practice. I highly recommend it.
Tatjana
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a nice read, though it could have used a editor. I think the book would have greater impact with tighter arguments. Generally, it focuses heavily on explaining zen. It spends very little time on druidry, and therefore left me a little confused. Why wasn't it just a book about mindfulness?
Shirl
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice mix of both Buddhism and druidry.
Lisa P.
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Finally found something that puts my "spiritual but not religious" designation into perspective. This outlines my own belief system in a clear cut fashion.
Trine
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan, non-fiction
3½ stars.

I had very mixed feelings about this little book. I enjoy the author's blog, and I find her writing style very approachable and easy to read. I appreciate her easy description of what Zen Druidry is to her, and how she lives it every day. I found most of the explanations of Zen Druidry easy to understand, and some of them I would like to incorporate into my own way of living. I think living more in the moment, instead of in the past or in the future, is incredibly important and somethin
Geordon VanTassle
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
I admit, when I picked up the this book from the Kindle store, I was hoping for some profound realization, something that I hadn't run into before. I was hoping for something novel and exciting.

What I got was (as the Buddhist saying goes) "nothing special." That's not to say that this disappointed me, far from it in fact. The blending of Zen Buddhism and Druidry that van der Hoeven does is as simple as being totally present in this very moment.

Because, when you get down to it, this very moment i
Gabriel Clarke
A small, heartfelt but frustratingly slight book. On the other hand, it sent impelled me to go off back to a couple of suspended, heavier reads and to look at new ways of incorporating my existing Yoga and Buddhist practice (the latter admittedly rather minimal!) into my ongoing exploration of paganism.
Rachel Patterson
This little book gives an outline of druidry, what it is and how it works, followed by an introductory tour of Zen teachings and then shows you how to bring both 'traditions' together to form Zen Druidry. Very intriguing concept, well written and interesting for anyone on a spiritual path.
Aug 27, 2019
Mar 09, 2013
Morgan
Jun 02, 2016
A.
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2014
Michael Ritch
Jan 05, 2015
Jeff Lilly
Jan 12, 2014
Leafrustler
Oct 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • Pagan Portals - Divination: By Rod, Birds and Fingers
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • Creating Miracles In The Modern World: The Way Of the Elfin Thaumaturge
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • Zen for Druids: A Further Guide to Integration, Compassion and Harmony with Nature
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • Body Positive Power: How learning to love yourself will save your life
  • LaGuardia
Joanna van der Hoeven was born in Quebec, Canada. She moved to the UK in 1998, where she now lives with her husband in a small village near the coast of the North Sea.

Joanna is a former Trustee of The Druid Network. She has studied with Emma Restall Orr and the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. She has a BA Hons English Language and Literature degree.

She is regularly involved with charities and w

News & Interviews

“The wave is a part of the ocean, even when it ceases to be a wave—it is still there, as the ocean. We are all like waves in the ocean.” 0 likes
“A monk and his student were standing at the crossing of a large stream. A beautiful woman stood nearby, upset that she could not cross as the current was too strong for her. Without a second thought, the monk picked her up and helped her across the stream, setting her down on the other side. As the monk and his student proceeded on towards their monastery, many hours later the student turned to the monk with a question.

“Master, why did you pick up that woman? Did you not know that in our monastery, it is forbidden to touch women? And she was beautiful!”

“Yes,” the monk said, “but I put her down on the other side. I see you are still carrying her.”
0 likes