Start by marking “Reading Upside Down” as Want to Read:
Reading Upside Down

Reading Upside Down

Happiness could be just around the corner…

“…perfect setting, perfect dress, perfect flowers, one hundred and eight guests – and one, total and utter, rat.”

Abandoned at the altar, Rosalind Shaw descends into the kind of depression which involves watching too much daytime TV and not bothering to shower as regularly as her mother would like.

Relocating, she begins a new life a
Published February 10th 2013

Jo
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nadja
Das Buch hat mir wirklich sehr gut gefallen. Ros war mit total symphatisch und ich fieberte mit ihr bis zum Ende. Die meisten Handlungsstränge konnte ich voraussehen, aber das hat das Lesevergnügen überhaupt nicht gebrochen.
Michaela
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hľadala som čítanie pre maminu, ale nakoniec som sa do knižky Život hore nohami pustila sama. Nečakala som nič náročné, takže som bola celkom milo prekvapená. Pár hlášok ma pobavilo, trapasy prostorekej tridsiatničky chvíľami pripomínali Denník Bridget Jonesovej. Rosalind dostala košom pred oltárom, utápala sa v depresiách (no kto by nie, po takom prekvapení). Po čase zmení svoje zamestnanie a prostredie a stretáva nových známych, susedov - toto je len úvod, lebo samotný príbeh sa točí okolo Ros ...more
Jules (Never enough time to read)
After a bit of a slow start I really warmed to all the characters in 'Reading upside down'. The book surprised me at just how easy it was to read and the characters kept me hooked. The writing was funny, the romance was believable and I'd read more by Jo Platt again.

Definitely a book that I would recommend.
Barenakedmummy
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic chick lit it made me laugh and cry although it was a bit obvious that she would end up with the right man. Although the journey there was great
Lucie
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eine sehr schöne, leichte Sommerlektüre!
Aunty Janet
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, light-hearted and funny story. Described as 'chick-wit', which is a good description. I enjoyed the characters and the humour.
''Abandoned without explanation at the altar, 30 year-old Rosalind Shaw descends into the kind of depression which involves her watching too much daytime TV and not bothering to shower as regularly as her mother would like. After several inebriated, unwashed, months, Ros relocates from London to St Albans and begins a new life, as part-owner of an antiquarian b
Debbi
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazingly funny... though you won't think so in the first few chapters. But once the story gets going, Roz is a quirky, funny lady that has seriously hilarious stuff just happen to her. I was laughing out loud so many times my husband started asking me to read them out loud to him. If you've read the synopsis - then you know the basics of the story line. But it's how Ms. Platt has woven the other characters of the story together that have made it a fabulous read! Well worth the tim ...more
Jennifer Collin
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this gorgoeus love story from Jo Platt. Platt's voice is as smooth as silk and her quirky cast of characters endearing. She takes you on a journey with Ros that's genuine and relatable, and provides you with a swoon worthy hero in the guinea pig killing, Daniel.
Nick
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit of a fan of this genre (does it matter that a bloke?).. And this one is up there with the best of them. For a first novel it's excellent... In fact it would be excellent even if it were her 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.
Funny, well written and in parts, poignant. Well worth the read.
Lara
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Sterne.
Hach ja es war unglaublich vorhersehbar (zu 90%) aber das machte überhaupt nichts, weil es so ein süßes, unterhaltsames, lustiges, nettes Buch war.
Die Charaktere sind mir sehr ans Herz gewachsen und das Hörbuch war gut vertont.
Ich hatte eine schöne Zeit mit diesem Buch!
Annika
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Ein gutes Buch mit einer schönen Geschichte, aber für mich teilweise etwas vorhersehbar.
Emily
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england-blog
I was pleasantly surprised and indeed impressed with Platt’s novel which was genuinely funny with dialogue written in a refreshingly natural style – so often I find first-time writers try too hard, but not here. The novel is 90% dialogue and 10% description which is exactly the right measure for the pace and mood required for the usual chick-lit quick-fix too, allowing the likeable characters to speak for themselves without necessitating too much readerly interpretation.

Simply put, it tells the
Tikali
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, romance
Ach was für ein tolles Buch! <3
Am Anfang begann es etwas platt und ich hatte schon bedenken, dass es in einem seichten Geplätscher ausartet- aber nach ein paar Seiten besserte es sich. Ich würde es generell in die "Comedy-Romance" Ecke stellen, es ist dafür jedoch hier und da überraschend tiefschürfend (wenn man will). Besonders der englische Humor, die Wortgewandtheit und Ros als leicht chaotische, überaus ehrliche und liebenswerte Hauptfigur brachten mich zum Schmunzeln und lachen.
Für mich
Joan
I was desperately in need of a good laugh and a good read and this supplied both. A delightfully funny yet also rather poignant story, with great characters. I like the writer's style and the fact that there were no 'in your face' SPaG errors (at least I didn't spot any!)

A definite re-read at some stage in the future, and that makes it 4 stars in my book.
Emmaa22
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, humour, romance
Really well written, laugh out loud on several occasions, fun and pacy. I really enjoyed this.
Ros, despite starting as a depressed and maudlin whinger, went on to win my support and empathy. I liked the characters around her and the back story as it emerged too.
Kim
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, particularly the laugh out loud bits.
MetLineReader
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Quite good fun. Predictable but light and engaging. Worth a read when you need a break from doom and gloom, or heavy historical fiction!!
Victoria
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although this book was predictable I really enjoyed it. It was funny, had great characters and was a great holiday read.
Mary Snaddon
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a nice lighthearted read, I think it was free on Amazon. A nice book to read if you've just finished something grisly or heavy going.
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Best book I've read in a while!
Naty
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Konečne je to za mnou! Čakala som trochu viac a čakala som racionálnejší dôvod toho, že ju opustil snúbenec v deň svadby a nie to, čo som dostala...
Books'N'Tracks
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Sterne!
Wirklich unterhaltsam, aber für mich topt nichts "Ein Moment fürs Leben" von Cecelia Ahern. Geht ja in eine ähnliche Richtung.
Chrissie
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, not the type I'd usually read but I found myself chuckling at various points in the book. Will definitely seek out more like this.
Rachel
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. Brilliantly funny, I laughed out loud so many times. Good story with some great characters.
Kelly
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, kindle
I really enjoyed this book, it fitted my mood perfectly.
Jo Gallifrey
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book. Funny, not too much angst, not totally obvious. Really really enjoyed it.
Victoria
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

Likeable people you are roting for with a HEA ending.

Felt Ros was a bit too slow to catch, regarding several things, to suit the storyline. Still a cute story with a light feeling, even though it had several more serious element included. Would recommend to friends and if I happen upon another book from the author I would read it. Read the whole book through in one sitting.
Daniel O'Brien
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent reading. Laughed out loud quite a lot. Nothing particularly special here though, just a really solid rom com with good characters, friendly prose, decent pacing, and a bunch of laughs. Would recommend to anyone who likes the genre.
Sadia
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of neighbors and hedges.

A very nice story of ago and recovering from being jilted and a Greek God. I would have liked to know more about George and Andrew. A very good smiley novel.
  • You, Me and Him
  • Postcards from the Heart
  • The Disengagement Ring
  • Going for Broke (Oakland Hills, #5)
  • Eine wundersame Weihnachtsreise
  • The Shoestring Club
  • Sternschnuppen
  • After Hello
  • Life Change
  • The Late Blossoming of Frankie Green
  • Whisper if You Need Me
  • Kumquat
  • Summer in Sorrento (Escape to Italy, #1)
  • Secret Shopper
  • My Granny Writes Erotica (The Original Quickie)
  • Any Way You Want Me
  • And Actually… (Butterfly, #3)
  • Paper Chains
“I smiled back, feeling as if I was supposed to know what to say next but hadn’t learned my lines.” 1 likes
“You see, I think that you feel so sorry for yourself all the time, that you assume everyone else does too. And your rather impressive levels of self-absorption prevent you from recognising that that is simply not the case.’ I swallowed hard, shocked by the quiet force of his now obvious annoyance.” 0 likes