Start by marking “Armada” as Want to Read:
Armada

Armada

3.47  ·  Rating Details ·  50,257 Ratings  ·  8,353 Reviews
It’s just another day of high school for Zack Lightman. He's daydreaming through another boring math class, with just one more month to go until graduation and freedom—if he can make it that long without getting suspended again.

Then he glances out his classroom window and spots the flying saucer.

At first, Zack thinks he’s going crazy.

A minute later, he’s sure of it. Becaus
Published July 16th 2015 by Century (first published July 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Armada, please sign up.

Brandon Ronk Last Starfighter and Ender's Game had a baby named Armada. It's very good.

Ariel
Sep 07, 2015 Ariel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
NOPE.

Believe me when I say I was ready to love this book. Ready Player One was so great! And this was about video games and alien invasions! I jumped in to Armada ready to be caught by an awesome net..

.. and instead fell flat on my face. On concrete. And then a piano fell on me.

The equation as it stands:

+ Boring characters (I didn’t care about anyone! I didn’t feel we spent enough time with a single character for me to care about their fate and so when something happened to someone I just shrugg
Kemper
Oct 01, 2015 Kemper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, craptacular, 2015
- The Last Starfighter
- Ender’s Game
-“Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica, leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet on a lonely quest for a shining planet known as Earth.
- Proton packs
- Twiki from Buck Rogers
- “I’d buy that for a dollar!”
- Ms Pac-Man
- Mix tapes
- “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.”
- Pitfall
- “Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator - and vanished.”
- Tron
- “Where we’re goi
Emily May
Jul 17, 2015 Emily May rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, arc, 2015
I'd say I'm pretty nerdy.

I guess there's no set definition, but I do have a comic book collection that takes up its own closet. I have played WoW obsessively in the past and I enjoy going to sci-fi conventions (view spoiler)

I was a Pokemon master for the first five generations and only haven't played the sixth because I keep scolding myself with "you're too old!" every time I see it in the stores. This is my favourite t-shirt:

This is my f
Sam Quixote
Aug 24, 2015 Sam Quixote rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Teenager Zack Lightman is the 6th best Armada player in the world, a sci-fi shoot ‘em up where you pilot a ship blasting away alien invaders. And then he discovers the game was really designed to find the best pilots in the world and he’s been drafted in a real-life war against aliens!

Computer games used to find skilled players - kids, usually - to fight aliens in an intergalactic war? Yeah, it’s been done already in The Last Starfighter and Ender’s Game. In fact the derivative nature of Ernest
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I like to think I'm sorta with it as an adult.

I read books that my teenagers like. I run from adult responsibilities. I love some pop culture stuff. I make fart jokes with my tweenish age son.
I'm totally on board with the cool stuff.

Until I met this book.
I absolutely and totally hate it. I know I should make myself finish it since I received a copy as an arc. I'm not doing it. You can't make me.

I loved Ready Player One so much that it is one of my favorites that I've read this year. This suc
Ashley
8/02/15: Okay, let’s get this out of the way: If you’re looking to recreate the singular reading experience you had with Ready Player One, to recapture that same magical feeling of wonder and awesomeness, you’re going to be disappointed with this book. Just, straight up.

Armada is not RPO. They have similarities, but there also a lot of differences, and those differences are going to cause a lot of people not to like this one very much. Them’s just the facts. RPO, as far as I’m concerned, is one
Alejandro
I expected something more original...

ZACK’S GAME

I was really excited to read Armada since I read some months ago Ready Player One and I enjoyed A LOT that other book.

So, reading the next novel by Ernest Cline was a obvious decision.

I was aware of the basic premise, and I really hoped to read something fresh and original with the same sense of witty and humor found on Ready Player One, but while I can’t deny that Armada contains witty and humor, I didn’t find it fresh or original.

Any big rea
Edward Lorn
Dec 21, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-52-2015, b4b
WINNER: WORST BOOK OF THE YEAR 2015!

Could we have a moment of silence for my love of pop culture references? Thank you.

...

E.'s Love of Pop Culture References - 1986-2015. R.I.P. (I was born in 1980, but I didn't truly flip my shit over something until the Howard the Duck movie came out in '86. I'm sure there will be several uber nerds who will claim that that's why I didn't "get" this novel, because I wasn't born wearing a Star Trek uniform.)

Ernest Cline is, quite simply, the Stephenie Meyers of
Annie
This was disappointing, especially compared to Ready Player One. I'm definitely not the target audience for this, but...still. It's kinda fun, but also utterly predictable.

(Also, to all the people that have commented on this review and acted annoyed at me that it's more The Last Starfighter than Ender's Game: Haven't seen The Last Starfighter. Don't care to. No need to get after me about it.)

Pre-review:

So basically...Ender's Game?

Sure, why not? This'll probably be better than Ender's Game anyway
Mohammed Arabey
Oct 02, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, July, 14 2015 couldn't be any more accurate release date for "ARMADA"

I mean,
March, 24 2015
The X-Files
'Worldwide Popular 90s TV Series Started 1993' returns in new 6 episodes next year, after 13 years since it ended.

April, 20 2015
Independence Day: Resurgence
, sequel to major 1996 international blockbuster, began filming 20 years since the first one.

& to Sci-Facts..
July, 14 2015
Pluto
, the planet..finally got close-up images & detailed observations of it and its moons.

July, 23 2015
Ea
Carmen
Mar 28, 2016 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Wish It Was the 1980s Again
I tried to keep my cool. I tried to remain skeptical. I reminded myself that I was a man of science, even if I did usually get a C in it.

I looked at it again. I still couldn't tell what it was, but I knew what it wasn't - it wasn't a meteor. Or a weather balloon, or swamp gas, or ball lightning. No, the unidentified flying object I was staring at with my own two eyes was most definitely NOT OF THIS EARTH.

My first thought was: Holy fucking shit.

How much jerking-off to '80s nostalgia can one man d
Will M.
Aug 16, 2015 Will M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kill or be killed. Conquer or be conquered. Survive or go extinct."

My review of Cline's first novel: Ready Player One

If you clicked on the link above and read my review of RPO, you would know that I was completely blown away by his first novel. RPO will always be my favorite novel of all time, and that fact managed to alter my expectations when it comes to the Sci-Fi genre. I haven't read a novel as good as RPO, but hopefully I'd find one soon. After I finished it last year, I checked if Clin
seak
Aug 18, 2015 seak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book gave me an epiphany and that's not always a good thing apparently.

Up to the moment I read this book, I'd started to convince myself that really the main thing that mattered to me in a book was readability. How much was a both looking forward to reading a book and how fast were the pages turning for me? Those are two things I thought a great deal of in terms of esteem (and star rating points).

Armada had all that. I did look forward to reading it and I thought the pages turned rather qui
Megan
Aug 16, 2015 Megan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ummm, Last Starfighter? Whatever, WANT!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum: http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/07/14/b...

For fans of Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One, I don’t think there’s any other book coming out this year as highly anticipated as his second novel Armada. The new book is again a novel with pop culture references galore, but whereas Ready Player One was like a love letter to the 80s set in not-too-distant future, Armada takes place in present day with a shift in focus to all things sci-fi and gaming.

Needless to say, as an a
Ashley
Jan 26, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
First things first: if you go into Armada trying to compare it to Ready Player One you're doing a great disservice to yourself and this book. They are two very different entities. While I love the common thread of gaming running through both books, the space nerd in me was squeeing the whole way through this one.

That being said, I really really loved this. The pop culture references were once again top notch and I really really dig government conspiracy theories. It was a bit intense having t
Maxwell
Jun 28, 2015 Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
"I was staring out the classroom window and daydreaming of adventure when I spotted the flying saucer."

From the very first sentence of the book, Ernest Cline takes the reader on a heart-pounding, laser-shooting, smile-inducing adventure. Fans of his first novel Ready Player One will find themselves transported into a world of geeky allusions, a diverse cast of characters, and honestly, a really, really good time.

Now it's inevitable to compare Armada to RPO because of Cline centering both around
Samantha
Aug 01, 2015 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5/5 stars
This book felt like an endless struggle.
At no point did I feel connected to the characters or their plight. The story lacked originality and felt like a mashup of Red Dawn, ET and Close Encounters that is sold as a new inventive plot.

The constant pop culture references became extremely tiring and forced. Often they did not make sense in the context of the story and characters: it's funny how every single character regardless of age immediately gets obscure references to the 80's and
Kristina Horner
I gave this book 3 stars.
I am going to preface my review by saying I really didn't enjoy reading this book very much. I will admit that it had a lot of hype and big shoes to fill, coming after Ready Player One, but for me it completely fell flat.
Maybe someone really really into flight sim and tactical war games will appreciate this book more, but I found it very dull. So much of the story involved having things explained to me and there was very little immediate action, which was hard to get int
Jenny
Aug 06, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it weird that I felt trolled throughout the whole entire book, but I kinda really liked it?! I liked how its very different from Ready Player One and how it is good in its own way, so there really isn't much reason to compare both of the books. Nonetheless Ernest Cline still managed to be just as funny, quirky and geeky which was great! Since Armada had an open ending, I wonder if there'll be a sequel..
Amanda
Sep 09, 2016 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My final thoughts below.

The only thing I liked about this was the mix tape playlist at the end.

There was nothing original or innovative about this story. I tried to look at it from a, "what if this happened to me in real like kind of thing and how cool that would be", but it wasn't. It felt like a rehashing of something that has been done countless times, and done better I might add. And even though Ernest Cline references those exact things, Wargames, Enders Game, The Last Starfigher, Starwars
Jonathan Swartz
Jun 24, 2015 Jonathan Swartz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I liked Ready Player One and was really looking forward to Armada. Was very disappointed and ultimately could not bring myself to finish past the halfway mark.

The prose in this book felt extremely clunky. There are few phrasings with any finesse, and many that made me wince ("She turned as if to walk away...and then she kissed me right on the lips, with tongue and everything.") A sci-fi or pop-culture reference is dropped unsubtly every few paragraphs. Ready Player One suffered from these proble
Eric
Many many thoughts about this book. I pretty much speed read through it so I'm going to wait until I can re-read with the audiobook and put everything into words. I loved it... I also disliked the obvious setup for a sequel - that's not very fair to us who have been waiting so anxiously for this book to see more coming on the horizon.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Before you pick this book up you need to ask yourself…’Am I ready to get my geek on???’ As soon as I saw that Ernest Cline author of Ready Player One had another book coming out and it was narrated by Wil Wheaton my amazon/audible one click pre-order went cRaZy and I shoved my money at them.

I’m just going to put it out there I liked Ready Player One more. So if you haven’t ready that yet GO GET IT!!! But Armada has some very nice characteristics too that should make it a Pop Culture/Sci-Fi/Fanta
Dan Schwent
Jun 17, 2015 Dan Schwent marked it as buy-this-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Snarky pre-release review:
I thought there already was a novelization of The Last Starfighter...
Algernon
Jan 08, 2016 Algernon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

This should have been AWESOME!

Ernest Cline won me over big time with his debut novel “Ready Player One”, taping into my inner geek persona with his funny and detailed trivia from the 1980’s and the games, the movies, the music and the whole pop culture that defined my youth. Unfortunately, this succesful first book raised my expectation to unsustainable levels for the encore.

You see, ever since the first day of kindergarten, I had been hoping and waiting for some mind-blowingly fantastic, world
Brendon Schrodinger
I like your old stuff better than your new stuff.

Armada is Ernest Cline's second novel following the hugely successful and soon-to-be-filmed 'Ready Player One'. It's understandable that everyone is clamouring to read this and comparing it to Clines first novel. Is it a success or does it suffer from the infamous second-album/movie/novel syndrome?

Armada is set in present-day or very near future small-town U.S. and concerns itself about a teenage boy (no way, get out!) named Zack Lightman. Yeah, I
Karina E
Aug 14, 2015 Karina E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
oh man, it's a weak 3 stars from me.. Loved the different characters! Unfortunately, the storyline didn't make me feel at home. Too little logical explanation for my taste. I wish it had been twice the size. so much potential!
Kaitlin
Aug 01, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this is the second book by Ernest Cline and it's a highly anticipated release for me personally after having loved Ready Player One. Whilst Ready Player One is a great and very original Sci-fi concept which really drew me in from page one, this one took me a little longer to adjust to. There were massive differences in the approach and style of writing for me with Armada compared to Ready Player One and these mainly stemmed from the fact that Ready Player One is hugely focused on 80s pop cult ...more
Macarena
Divertido, "relatable", lleno de acción y ciencia ficción. Lleno de geniales elementos que mueven el argumento con un ritmo ideal. El desarrollo del personaje principal me pareció estupendo.
Simplemente increíble.
Si tienen la oportunidad, léanlo. Especialmente para fans de los vídeo juegos :D
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Around the Year i...: Armada, by Ernest Cline 16 78 Jan 16, 2017 09:09AM
Undead & UnRead B...: Armada by Ernest Cline 6 6 Jan 12, 2017 11:19AM
Dragons & Jetpacks: Armada / Overall Discussion / ** SPOILERS ** 28 41 Dec 05, 2016 08:56AM
Book Review 1 6 Sep 07, 2016 11:59AM
Armada and the Odyssey 4 39 Aug 27, 2016 08:40AM
Reseña de Armada 2 18 Jul 30, 2016 12:00PM
Nothing But Readi...: Armada by Ernest Cline (Sci-Fi/Fantasy BOM) Starts April 12, 2016 125 374 May 05, 2016 07:21PM
  • Agent to the Stars
  • Press Start to Play
  • An Unwelcome Quest (Magic 2.0, #3)
  • Ender's Game Alive: The Full Cast Audioplay
  • Zero World
  • The End is Nigh
  • William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #6)
  • Time Salvager (Time Salvager #1)
  • Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)
  • Burning Paradise
ERNEST CLINE is a novelist, screenwriter, father, and full-time geek. His first novel, Ready Player One, was a New York Times and USA Today bestseller, appeared on numerous “best of the year” lists, and is set to be adapted into a motion picture by Warner Bros. and director Steven Spielberg. His second novel, ARMADA, debuted at #4 on the NYT Bestseller list and is being made into a film by Univers ...more
More about Ernest Cline...

“Shit!" I heard Diehl shout over the comm. "I just lost my gorram shields because I'm already out of frakkin' power!"
"Dude," Cruz said. "You shouldn't mix swears from different universes.”
27 likes
“I’d spent my entire life overdosing on uncut escapism, willingly allowing fantasy to become my reality.” 21 likes