Start by marking “Secrets of the Realm” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Realm

Secrets of the Realm

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  480 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Blamed for her uncle's death, fifteen-year-old Annie is on the run. Knowing the perils she will face on the streets of eighteenth century London, she disguises herself as a boy. Her life on the streets is cut short when she becomes Captain Hawke’s cabin boy.
Not only must Annie work alongside the Realm’s motley crew of outcasts and gentlemen, she must also keep her superst
ebook
Published December 4th 2013 by Bev Stout (first published April 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Realm, please sign up.
Mitchell Seems like this violates Goodreads rules. And that the moment anyone reports them, I'm sure the author's in question votes will all be removed at the…moreSeems like this violates Goodreads rules. And that the moment anyone reports them, I'm sure the author's in question votes will all be removed at the very least. And the complaint will by no means be ignored.(less)
Bev Stout Hi Claudia, On the first page, you'll notice that Erik is Annie's cousin, not her brother, and Annie had no choice but to leave. As you read on,…moreHi Claudia, On the first page, you'll notice that Erik is Annie's cousin, not her brother, and Annie had no choice but to leave. As you read on, you'll discover how Annie pulls everything off. Glad you're enjoying it. Bev(less)

Brooke
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I really enjoyed the characters in the book too and you can't help but love Annie. She has gone through so much and is such a firecracker. This book had danger and adventure but also had the feel good moments too. I loved the tension between Annie and the captain. He never comes right out and says how he feels about her and I was dying for him to say something. She is totally unaware of how most of the characters feel about her. This is a great book and I hope there will be ...more
Simon Okill
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Secrets of the Realm by Bev Stout is an outstanding YA Historical Adventure set n the high seas. The author has perfectly described the settings of the day - 18 century England, The Realm and all the characters with loving attention for detail. The language is spot on and behaviours of the time towards women are suitably used as the heart of this wonderful novel.
15 year old Annie has always been blamed for her family troubles, so when her uncle dies in an accident she is found to be at fault. To
Lilian Roberts
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully written book. I found myself lost into a world of pirates and utter adventure. I fell in love with the heroine Annie and couldn’t help embrace her pain and sadness as an orphan having to endure abuse by a family member and finally finding herself living in the streets. I just can’t even imagine for someone having to endure that type of living.

I was delighted to find out that at age 14 she decided that the only way she could get out of London and dangerous streets was to hi
JS
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Secrets of the Realm is a very well written novel. The story captivates your interest from the moment you start reading. This story is packed with lots of adventure and action with a little bit of romance! The characters were very well developed which made me more intrigued with the story! You will simply love the protagonist Annie Moore!

I love how the author made Annie a strong, charismatic, stubborn at times female lead! You couldn't help but to root for her from the beginning of the novel to
Laine Cunningham
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read this is! Young adults, preteens and adults will find this novel a must-read.

The story follows a girl who needs to escape an abusive situation. She does so by dressing as a boy so that she can safely move about in society. She ends up being hired as a cabin boy on a ship.
What follows are adventures on the ship as she learns about her duties and a few adventures on land in different ports where they stop. Along the way, she finds friends in the most unlikely places, and some
Nicole Delacroix
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
I received this book in exchange for an honest review, but after reading the book, I would have gladly picked this up myself! Normally I'm not a huge fan of stories set at sea, but there was something about the synopsis of this book that caught my attention. I had decided to read a few chapters a night until I finished the book, but I wasn't expecting to finish the book over a weekend, I simply could not put the book down.

The story started simply enough, a young girl starting out on an adventure
Michael DeStefano
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When a book has the power to take you from the present and thrust you over 200 years into the past from its very first page, effectively blotting out the distractions around you until a hundred pages have breezed by, that book commands attention.

Bev Stout’s “Realm” is one such book. With an 18th century canvas, this period piece has all the elements that make for a captivating adventure. Stout’s alluring cover, intriguing title, and beautifully crafted storytelling all conspire to draw the reade
Stevan Nikolic
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets of the Realm by Bev Stout was an enjoyable book to read. Well written, intriguing story and interesting characters capture readers’ attention and make an exciting, fun, and easy reading.

The adventures of the young heroine Annie disguised as a cabin boy, aboard the sail ship, take us full circle from the London Harbor, across the ocean to the American coast and back. In the process, as the story is unfolding, we learn that Annie is not the only crew member with the secret. The characters
Dick
This is a wonderful story about a young girl who disguises herself as a boy and becomes the cabin boy on an 18th century English merchant ship. Annie Moore is a character that you can't help but fall in love with. I would recommend this book for all teens through seniors.
Justine Winans
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of the sea and boats myself - there is no better feeling in the world than being out on the water - I was immediately intrigued with the idea of Secrets of the Realm. Although the plot point of a girl disguising herself as a man seems to be used quite often, it is usually in excellent stories. Also a fan of historical fiction, I had high expectations for this novel. Fortunately, they were all met, if not exceeded.

I believe that Annie is a great voice for the story and an excellent ch
LAWonder10
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who can resist a fun, historical story involving ships and the ocean? Secrets of the Realm was a very well written historical novel. It starts out briefly with an orphaned girl given to the care of a cruel aunt. Her slightly older cousin fears for her safety so helps her escape to the city where she might be able to find work. She soon fears she will die of starvation and exposure. If somehow she could be hired at the docks…she so loves the sea!

This is a cute tale with action, adventure, intrigu
Linda Harley
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is not often that I am surprised by a good story, but I found this story of Annie endearing and tugging at my heart strings through out. I could not help but cheer for her throughout, laugh with her, and cry with her. Annie is an orphan that is forced to live on the streets, and her stubbornness and sense of adventure is what lands her the prestigious job of cabin boy (or girl?) on Captain Hawke’s ship the Realm. Filled with pirates, daring fights, adventure, stormy seas, and new places, this ...more
Kasey Giard
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Annie's aunt blames her for her uncle's untimely death, Annie knows her only choice is to run. Disguised as a boy, she hides among the street urchins of eighteenth century London until a bold captain discovers her and hires her as a cabin boy.

If life on the street was dangerous, it's nothing compared to the risks Annie faces as a female hiding among superstitious sailors. If she is to survive, her secret must be kept, and she'll have to earn the respect of the crew members. If she's discove
WhatIReallyRead
A cute book about the adventures of Annie - a 15 y/o girl-posing-as-a-boy - on a ship. Storms, sailors, pirates, that sort of thing. It's adorable and naive, more suitable for a younger reader.

I'm sure I would have loved it at age 14 or something, but right now it didn't do much for me.
zapkode
{my thoughts} - This book is about a teenage girl named Annie Moore. She is given a rough start at life when her parents and sister die. She is then forced to live with her Aunt and Uncle. When her Uncle passes she is told by her Aunt that she is cursed and then she is beaten. She runs away under the disguise as a boy in London. She is forced to beg for money and food. She is a ambitious, respectful, determined girl. She finds herself as the Cabin Boy on a Vessel called The Realm. She makes life ...more
Christoph Fischer
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Secrets of the Realm" by Bev Stout is an exciting historical adventure novel set on an 18th century ship, called Realm. 16 year old Annie runs away from an abusive aunt and after begging for a while pretends to be a boy to hire on the ship under the name of Andres.
The ship is full of colourful and interesting characters, the life on the ship has been immaculately researched and described with excellent detail about all day routines and sailing at the time.
The story is a great adventure with pi
MaryannC.Book Fiend
This was an exciting read and I was totally engrossed with this story about young Annie, who orphaned escapes her aunt's physical abuse by disguising herself as a boy and joins a ship's crew as the cabin boy. On the ship Annie must keep her secret while learning the duties of a seaman, facing danger and proving herself worthy. I liked Annie's determination and her spunk throughout this story, a great summer read!
Kathi Mckinney
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, adventurous book! Young and old will enjoy this amazing adventure! I could see the whole story unfolding before my eyes! Loved Annie and can't wait to see what adventures are in store for her!
Lobstergirl
Jun 03, 2015 rated it did not like it

Author circle jerk refuse, littering listopias.
Kelly
NOTE: The cover has changed now to one that I feel is much more appropriate for the content of the book! I really like it :)

Secrets of the Realm was such a pleasant surprise for me. When I was first asked to review this book, I was a little hesitant and I'll have to admit that my hesitation came from the cover. You know the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" rule? This is one of those instances where you definitely shouldn't. After reading the promising premise and an excerpt from goodreads
Kimber Wheaton
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

When I received this review request from author Bev Stout, my first instinct was to turn it down. It's not my normal read and frankly, I was swamped. But I never turn anyone away without reading at least the first few pages. I'm so glad I did since I was immediately hooked and drawn into Annie's world.

I can't even begin to say how much I loved Annie. From the very first moment we met her, my heart bled for this strong girl.
Amanda Marie
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a long time since a Middle Grade (MG) historical fiction has caught my interest. Secrets of the Realm by Bev Stout drew me in hook, line, and sinker and kept me interested and wanting more throughout the whole book. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect right off the bat with this one, I knew that it was historical fiction, but the title of the novel sounded somewhat mystical to me. While I was slightly surprised to see that it wasn’t, I wasn’t the least bit disappointed in the story. Sec ...more
Lindsey
Full review on:

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I was curious when I had first seen the novel and read the description, but was not expecting to be enchanted.

It's a wonderfully written historical adventure - a safe, clean, & perfect read for the YA audience that enjoys living vicariously through the pages of a book. The characters - especially the heroine - feel like old friends, and you won't want to p
Ron
A teenage girl escapes abuse at the hand of her vindictive aunt by fleeing to London and, disguising her identity, becomes the cabin boy on the merchant vessel The Realm, which holds its own secrets. A quick, fun read, Secrets of the Realm manages to balance historical plausibity with beguiling adventure. Early on, I hoped for richer description of the characters, but they were subsequently fleshed out more in the midst of the novel's narrative. Overall, an enjoyable tale, definitely worth check ...more
Mikehewett
What a great story for teens of all ages. A real page turner and a delight to read. Can hardly wait for the sequel to arrive.
Hafiza
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite type of adventure story- girl masquerades as boy on a pirate ship.
I hope we get a sequel soon!
Fun story,
Angela
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historic-fiction
This book is amazing! I really enjoyed it, and can't wait for the second book to come out.
Christie
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Marie Clarisse
[ I recieved an e-book copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ]

To tell you guys the truth, I'm not much of a reader of Historical Fiction. I don't usually read this particular kind of books. So despite signing up to review this, I didn't really have a lot of expectations. Upon reading the first chapter, my initial toughts were, This sounds boring, the writing sucks, this is pretty hard to understand and so forth and so on.

But as the plot unraveled, I started to like the story more a
Nikki Bennett
Secrets of The Realm was a pleasant surprise to read. Very well written, the descriptions of life on the sea were intriguing and educational without being overdone and bogging down the story. I really got a feel for the places, people, the sea. Character development was good, each person in the story stood out with their own weaknesses, strengths, quirks, all were believable, especially Annie.

Most of the story takes place on the sea as Annie, the heroine, struggles to keep her feminine identity
  • Culloo
  • Adrenaline Rush (Christy, #1)
  • My First Travel Book
  • Starlet's Man (The Starlet, #0.5)
  • Talwar
  • Shinobi 7: Trials of a Warrior (Shinobi 7, #1)
  • A Life, Freed
  • The Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice (The Black Ledge Series, #2)
  • Beyond Oria Falls (Dwellers of Ahwahnee, #2)
  • The Invasion Year (Alan Lewrie, #17)
  • Sebastian
  • Godspeed
  • Ellie Stanton (The Heller Park Series)
  • Breed of Envy (The Breed Chronicles #2)
  • Sins of the Fallen (Sins of the Fallen #1)
  • Bitten By Deceit (Hadley Werewolves #1)
  • Empyreal Illusions (The Inferno Unleashed #1)
  • The Clay Lion
Born in the San Francisco Bay Area, Bev Stout now lives in Gilbert, Arizona, with her husband, a former Navy Lieutenant and their two mismatched dogs–Milly, a Basenji-mix rescue dog and Toby, the Stouts’ forever puppy.

Since Bev neither sews nor makes quilts, she decided to write her first novel as a gift to her family. Secrets of the Realm, an eighteenth century adventure story, has since been re
More about Bev Stout

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
“He glared at her. "Aye, and you shall be the best cabin boy I have ever had or I will feed you to the sharks. Savvy?" He turned and stomped back to the
ship”