Start by marking “Happiness is a Warm Puppy” as Want to Read:
Happiness is a Warm Puppy

Happiness is a Warm Puppy

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  679 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Happiness is Classic Peanuts!
These collector’s editions perfectly recreate the original look and feel of the best-loved Peanuts books—their paper, their ink, even their lamination. And of course, the heartwarming content that charmed the world, sold millions, and launched the career of Charles M. Schulz remains untouched. On every spread there’s a tiny tidbit of wisdom f
Published 1962 by Determined Productions, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Happiness is a Warm Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happiness is a Warm Puppy

Alina Maria Ciobanu
Snoopy & Co. show, through lovely illustrations, that happiness can be found in the little things in life. :-)
Gerry
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happiness is definitely enjoying one of Charles Schulz' Peanuts' books ... and this one has lots of words of wisdom from members of the gang as to what exactly happiness is.

Peanuts himself sees it as enjoying time with friends as he sits on the roof of his kennel with four birds or walking in the grass with bare feet or even picking up 'on the first bounce' a piece of fudge dropped by Lucy. But on the receiving end of happiness he does not look quite as happy when Lucy practises the title, 'Happ
Lisa Vegan
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Peanuts fans
Simple yet profound handful of cartoons.

Somewhere in my apartment, I have the original 1962 edition, signed by the author. I was 8 or 9 years old and a relative had recently been at a party given for Charles Schulz in honor of this book's publication, and all of the attendees received the book, and I was given it as a gift. I was already a huge fan of the Peanuts cartoon strip, but this was my first Peanuts book, and I’ve loved it ever since.

I was going a bit crazy because after a cursory searc
Sara
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed checking this book out from the library when I was a kid. Every so often someone would take a pencil and write on the back blank pages their own version of "Happiness Is. . . ." They were all in small print and some were quite clever. I added one of my own. Okay, it wasn't right, but reading people's "Happiness Is" quotes was part of the fun of checking out this book periodically. (Remember, we didn't have the internet in those long ago days so that was our way of blogging.) One day, I ...more
Velma
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: depressed people
Recommended to Velma by: mom
Belonged to my mother, and was one of my first books. Can't replace the kind of memories associated with your early book experiences.
Debbie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Cute collection of "Happiness is..." saying from Schulz featuring the Peanuts gang. I have the 1st paperback printing from Scholastic, from 1970. The cover is orange.
Dori Sabourin
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is happiness? Is it the mansion on the hill, the Cadillac in the driveway, the two car garage, the latest technological devices? Contrary to the status quo, Charlie Brown, Linus, Snoopy, and the rest of the Peanuts Gang tell us otherwise. After reading this beautifully illustrated book by Charles M. Schulz who definitely knew what were the real treasuries in life, I found myself assessing the simple things in my life for which I am grateful. I trust that you will too.
Peter Clegg
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not know this was a kids book when I ordered it at the library. It's a good little book about taking joy in the little things. A good idea for adults too. I hope to read this to any kids I might have in the future.
Annburnett
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always love reading Charles Schulz. It makes you feel good no matter what you are doing.
Nathália
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
linus wearing glasses and schroeder visiting lucy, my heart! <333
Ximena
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un hermoso librito con frases sobre la felicidad y aquellas cosas simples que la logran. Todo ilustrado con imagenes de Snoopy y el resto de la pandilla.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This weekend I am dog sitting my neighbor's dog, Maggie. Tonight we had just finished our final bedtime walk around, we came in and as I was saying goodnight to Maggie, I saw this book on the shelf that said "Happiness is a Warm Puppy" and it had Peanut characters! I read the book out loud to Maggie for a bedtime story. It is a sweet little book - this might have even been and original edition because my neighbor has a lot of old books.

The book teaches that happiness comes from a variety of diff
Valerie
My parents had the original edition. I think there were several different colors for the cover page--or else there were different colors inside. I remember different colors, anyway.

I remember few of the captions in this book, and remember being puzzled how different it was from the other books by Schulz. I liked it pretty well, but I kept looking for more verbiage. I think there may have been some postcards or posters associated with the book. I know there were several other books similar to thi
Susan Fetterer
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any fewer than five stars would be Un-American. Anything less than a glowing review would be downright anti-childhood. Heading the list of words and phrases describing the Peanuts crew most certainly is 'iconic', closely followed by endearing, honest, and 'one-of-a-kind'.
Not having embraced the sweetness of Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and Lucy for a good many years, I became reacquainted via a dear friend who resides in Santa Rosa, CA. Charles Schulz lived and worked in both St. Paul, MN (I am a Twin
Karen
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happiness is a little square book, with a pink cover, and bright, multi-colored pages inside.

Happiness is a bold, elegant font, and bold, elegant illustrations.

Happiness is Snoopy drawn by Charles M. Schulz.

So happiness may be a warm puppy, or happiness may be one thing to one person and another thing to another person, but this little book could bring a little bit of happiness.

Kelley Bennett
This was one of my all-time favorites as a second grader when I purchased the book. It had a positive message and I loved the Peanuts comic strip in the newspaper. It is also a very easy read. It has the repetitive Happiness is... on every page to help new readers. It points out that it is the simple things that make us happy.
Annie Chanse
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My best friend gave me this for Christmas, and I just adored it. It was the cutest, warmest, sweetest, most cuddlesome book I've read in a long, long time. Christina Williams is the best friend ever, and she buys me the very best books. This book is just like my favorite sweater, or my grandma's cooking, or a kiss from my son who is now too cool to kiss his mom. Ha. Great book.
Tiffany
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently introduced to this book when I was at the Charles Schultz museum while in Santa Rosa, CA. Loved this as a kid. I remember getting it for a birthday present. I had my drawing Snoopy phase. But doesn't everyone?

This is a must for adults and children alike. Especially if you love the Peanuts comic strip, or any of the Peanuts TV shows.
LINDA
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: children-s-books
I found this book at a flea market and had to get it! It is priceless, with the illustrations and simple wording that is so perfect! Surely worthy of being called a Classic among children's literature!

I was also happy to learn that I have the the original 1962 edition! (My cover is orange, not pink.)
Jerica Griffin
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this cute little book in my campus library, complete with handwritten note in the front. It's adorable - doesn't really need a book review, just think it's a cute little find in a college library.
HeavyReader
My sister had this book when we were kids. I liked it a lot at the time and read it many times. It consists of a bunch of things that are supposed to make people happy, illustrated with pictures of Peanuts characters.
Keith
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved sharing this simple yet profound book with my kids. Purchases in the 1970s, it is low on the development meter, but simplicity is an important aspect to Schultz's art and message. It's compact and powerful. Charles Schultz is a master philosopher.
Saleris
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, cartoons
This is a book I had as a child in the late 60's. I think it was a first edition, but since it's very old, well read and the covers have fallen off (glued back on by Dad), I don't know. But it's got many happy memories attached to it..
Neens Bea
Was so lucky as to find a first edition of this lovely book, which is now on permanent display in my tiny flatlet. It is one of the few things this minimalist will not get rid of, because it is true: happiness IS a warm puppy.
Andrea
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is a book I could read over and over again (and I have!), filled with wonderful classic Peanuts cartoons, each on a different color paper. It's safe to say that your heart will warm with love for Peanuts after reading this wonderful book!
Liesl
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, yet effective. Schultz does a wonderful job illustrating how happiness differs from person to person, and how sometimes the smallest things in life can make someone's day.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We had a lot of Peanuts books when I was a kid. I think my dad picked them up at the Cokesbury store, because sometimes Schultz quoted scripture.
Lisa
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going through my bookshelf deciding which books to keep. Yep, this one is a keeper!
Hilary
Well, happiness is a warm puppy, isn't it?

=)
Kit★
This was one of my mom's favorites when she was little, and I got her a copy when I was a teenager, but now it's in my kiddo's collection.
  • The New Yorker Book of Literary Cartoons
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons
  • Things Are Looking Up... (For Better or For Worse, #11)
  • Baby Blues 03: Guess Who Didn't Take A Nap?
  • The Far Side Observer
  • Chocolate: The Consuming Passion
  • Richard Scarry's Best Rainy Day Book Ever
  • C D B!
209672
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in
More about Charles M. Schulz...