Start by marking “The Dark Collector” as Want to Read:
The Dark Collector

The Dark Collector

Jeffrey Kuyper was a once-in-a-generation talent and I was his muse.

Jeffrey's death shocked the art world and upended my life. His last portrait is an intimate reminder of our final weeks together. Now it's up for auction and I want it more than anything. When a cold-mannered man in a dark suit outbids me, I'll agree to anything to buy it from him--even a weekend in his be
Published December 3rd 2013 by Vanessa North (first published November 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Collector

For Real by Alexis  HallNowhere Ranch by Heidi CullinanPower Exchange by A.J.  RoseDuck! by Kim DareTraining Season by Leta Blake
Best M/M BDSM Romance
230 books — 125 voters
Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillDiscipline by Chris OwenBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
895 books — 1,195 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Dark Collector
Julio Genao
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
More than a moment.

Wild, fun, sexy... with dark undertones too layered to be accidental.

Creative people throw the word "muse" around a lot more often than they should—and why wouldn't they? It's their job to misunderstand things in new and exciting ways.

The muse in this short is a someone who would submit, literally and figuratively, to the will of both an artist—and that artist's biggest fan.

He is a mirror, espied by two completely different men. He is captured both by the master of the canvas
Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

So unexpectedly beautiful.

Oliver Conklin is grieving for his lover of 5 years, who died in a car crash a year ago.

Jeffrey Kuyper was an artist and a Dom inspired by his young, submissive lover.

Now Jeffrey’s estate is up for grabs and all Oliver wants is his last painting. With just a wave of the paddle, the Dark Collector, a big fan of Jeffrey’s work, is now its owner.

He agrees to sell Oliver the painting on the condition he spend the weekend
Lisa Henry
This book was not what I expected...and sometimes that's a good thing.

There is much more emotional depth here than I had anticipated.

Who is the Muse anyway? Just another piece of art for the Dark Collector to own? That's what I thought. That's what the Muse thought, too. We were both wrong. In fact, the Dark Collector wants more from the Muse than that; possibly more than the Muse has it in him to give.

The Muse has been defined for so long by how others see him. They see him how Jeffrey paint
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4 Stars***

I don't know how the woman does it? She sucks you into a story in just a few paragraphs, she's got you invested in her characters in under a chapter and can give you a book packed with emotion in 100 pages.

Talent, people.....Vanessa North has talent oozing out of her creative mind and onto her keyboard.

I wasn't sure what I was in for when I picked up this little novella, but what I got was a full bodied story about grief, re-discovering yourself, finding your own identity, healing
Gigi
Re-read in January 2016
Loved this all over again! Hurt/healing/comfort, red-hot sex and a perfect ending. It was even better the second time around!

Original review:
Love love love! M/M romance enthusiasts who enjoy mild BDSM, this is a MUST read. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I'm still swooning.
Deborah
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

So much more than I expected.

Oliver Conklin was twenty years old when he started modelling for Jeffrey Kuyper, he became the artists muse and lover and fell deeply in love with him, they had five amazing years together before a car accident took Jeffrey's life and left Oliver a shadow of his former self and for a year he's been alone grieving and now Jeffrey's last painting is up for sale and Oliver needs that painting, he's sold his car and liquidated his savings, it means that much to him but
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer☠Pher☠ by: MishyJo
I feel like I read that in one breath. I don't feel like I even needed to breathe. I just needed to not move unless I was turning the pages.

This is not my kind of book. Not my kink. Not a world I understand or even try to.

I loved every single page of this.

I have said it before and it must be said again, Vanessa some how can write a book that is completely out of my comfort zone but make me feel comfortable. She can make me relate. She can make me care and like. It is astounding to me.

So, I thi
Ariana
Now, that hit me straight in the centre of my heart.

I'm not sure what I expected but there seemed to be such a 'dark' aura around this book. And there is a lot of sadness because Oliver has not dealt with the grief of losing Jeffrey although it's been a year. He locked it all deep inside him and feels so lost, so alone, and so bare of an identity it's almost suffocating him.
Oliver knows he can't let that picture go, that picture that's so special because it is Jeffrey's last and because it delv
Otila
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
"...it's holy-fucking-hell-hot."

description

It's also sweet and much more emotional than I expected. I really liked it, I just wish it were longer. I'm greedy like that.
Emma Sea
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, short-story
Oooh, lovely! Highly recommended for all bdsm lovers. Thankyou julio, for the gift :)
Baba
2 stars.

The premise did sound very good and I sure as heck am a huge sucker for erotic or romance books that incorporate an art theme. The story and its characters, however, fell flat as a wooden board. The Dark Collector failed to engage me emotionally and the somewhat kinky sex was clinical, monotonic and boring. Besides, less is more. I would have preferred longer sex scenes instead of all those numerous fast f@cks and BJs. I was glad it was so short otherwise I would have DNFd it.

You know wh
Isabel
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabel by: Barbara
This book is fabulous! Beautiful story, very intense and hot! If it was longer would be perfect... It would be really fantastic if we could read more about Oliver, aka Muse, and Henry, The Dark Collector, and the possible beginning of a relationship!

photo tumblr_m5d5y3d1Tu1ro0ipwo1_500_zps60156303.jpg

I want more Oliver & Henry... please!
Amy
Rating and review removed. I will no longer support this author.
Eva
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, Intense, Hot... More Henry and Oliver please!

Susan
Jul 18, 2014 added it
Shelves: bdsm, hurt-comfort, mm
Rating and review removed.
Natalia
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Barbara
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some words of what I feel about this book...

amazing

photo images_zpsa223956e.jpg

photo gorman-greg-male-nude-i_zpsf358f730.jpg
Christelle
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Woah : this story really took me by surprise. I wasn’t expecting so much emotion and hope.

Oliver is lost without his former lover and will do anything he can just to own a painting done of him by his ex-lover. Even spending a week-end being the submissive to the one who bought that painting, But then, he gets more than a painting, so much more !!

For such a quick read, I was stunned to find hotness mixed with so much feelings and a way to get back to life and love.
Susan
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it

I loved this book!!!! The only thing keeping it from being a 5-star read for me was that I wish it were longer!

I’ve never made it a secret that I don’t enjoy reading kink. Any D/s, BDSM, sadist/masochist type stuff just doesn’t work for me. It’s mainly because I have trouble understanding the headspace and the why’s. So, when the author gave me her book when I met her at RT and started with “I know you don’t read kink…”, I felt I had an ‘out’ and maybe didn’t have to read it (Sorry Vane
Tina
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing

4,5 stars

OMG! Vanessa! You surprised me with this one! It was hot, is was wonderfully intense, and I want mooooaaar of this guys!

The sad, lonely, beautiful muse meets the man who is more than perfect for him and a dark and erotic tale of grief and healing begins, it’s gritty and sexy and full of raw emotions.

I enjoy reading kink and The Dark Collector was simply breathtaking gorgeous! I fell instantly for Oliver and Henry, the characters are well developed and left me wanting more. The writing…
Xing
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am absolutely crap when it comes to writing reviews for short stories. I always feel like there is less room to discuss without spoiling something (and being subtle is hard enough as it is for me!). So I’ll just say this: I really liked this story. It was sensual and very gripping. There’s the right amount of introspection without feeling claustrophobic – the perfect amount of words needed to craft this story. The conflict and resolution was very tactfully done.

It definitely hit all the right
Trio
I think this is my fourth time reading/listening to the The Dark Collector and it just gets better every time. This story just gutted me, the insight Vanessa North has into how this young man feels is really something special. A completely intimate and heart wrenching look into this sweet young guy's loss of love, and how he finds himself again... it's just beautiful.

For the audio version, there's something about Toby Trail's imperfect reading of this one which makes it even better in audio.
Denise H.
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*** Amazing short story that feels like a novel. *** Deeply thought-filled characters, intense feelings, sexy, erotic M/M BDSM, and a riveting plot. Jeffery, highly renown artist has passed away, his "muse" is devastated, trying to buy at auction the last painting they made together. "The Dark Collector" has come for the painting also. A deal is struck after our muse loses, but ultimately, he wins. A weekend spent with the Dark Collector, Henry, has our muse, Oliver, releasing his misery, findin ...more
Steelwhisper
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in BDSM and first pairings
AnnaLund
Goodreads TOS-compliant review: (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are).

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

For my honest and true view of the same book, please read …MORE

DISCLAIMER: As of today my reviews will all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Precious
  • Slow Heat (Heat of Love, #1)
  • Just a Bit Wrecked (Straight Guys, #11)
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Cabin Fever
  • Finding Master Right
  • Fair Play (All's Fair, #2)
  • Loser Takes All (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #1)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • The One Decent Thing
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)
  • Mission: X (Mission X, #1)
  • Book of Orlando (Mortal and Divine #1)
  • Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)
  • With or Without Him
  • Shiver (Unbreakable Bonds, #1)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
Author of over a dozen novels, novellas, and short stories, Vanessa North delights in giving happy-ever-afters to characters who don’t think they deserve them. Relentless curiosity led her to take up knitting and run a few marathons “just to see if she could.” She started writing for the same reason. Her very patient husband pretends not to notice when her hobbies take over the house. Living and w ...more