Start by marking “Magnificat (The Galactic Milieu Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
Magnificat (The Galactic Milieu Trilogy)

Magnificat

(Galactic Milieu Trilogy #3)

The concluding volume of the GALACTIC MILEAU trilogy, following JACK THE BODILESS and THE DIAMOND MASK.

Humanity is enjoying the Galactic Milieu. Colonies are thriving, Earth is peaceful, and as more metapsychics are born, the goal of mental Unity with the Milieu seems close. But a rebel group want Earth to remain separate, led by a man obsessed with human superiority. This
Published February 14th 2013 by Tor (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Magnificat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnificat

Start your review of Magnificat (The Galactic Milieu Trilogy)
Shayne Power
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me 20 years to get from Intervention to the end of Magnificat. I suppose that is a risk you take when you get involved in a series while it is still being written.

The main surprise in this book (I won't give a spoiler here, though it was introduced at the very end of Diamond Mask) was a great shock. I've known the character involved for all of those 20 years and his/her ending was very sad. And knowing why it had to happen was even worse. I'm pleased to say that I didn't feel the need to
Michael Battaglia
It's hard to even say this is the last book in the trilogy when the trilogy almost immediately leads into the Saga of Pliocene Exile (which was published before this) which then leads back to "Intervention" which brings us right back to the beginning of this series again. May has written herself a loop that Joyce would be proud of.

In fact she's written that loop so tautly that I think to actually gauge the real effect of it you have to read all the books pretty much straight through, maybe more
Joy
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fury, the mental monster hiding among the Remillard Clan, has been rousted out and forced to run. His vulnerabilities are dangerously exposed. But from his new identity, his determination remains the same. He will overturn the Galactic Milieu and rule a new empire, one in which every human being is his absolute tool, dependent on him. He has enticed a new helper, one of the most powerful he could hope for.

Marc Remillard’s quest for absolute control of himself has been nearly fulfilled by the dev
Ria
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A magnificent end to an epic, sweeping saga.
The world is nearly ready for Unity and the Rebel factions are gaining momentum in opposition to the Milieu.
Jack the bodiless and Dorothea MacDonald are fighting Jack's brother Marc who takes up the reins of the Rebel faction and supposedly wants Earth to retain its individuality and not join the Milieu in Unity but beneath all the Rebel dogma he is fomenting a secret plan of his own to advance the human race into a society of fully operant and metapys
Andrew Grewcock
After all the build up to the Rebellion, both in this trilogy and the Pliocene Saga, I have to confess to feeling cheated. I understand that rendering metaphysical concepts in prose is necessarily tricky, but the final result had me flicking pages to check I hadn't accidentally skipped an entire chapter (or more). I can't imagine May was writing to a deadline, but considering the attention to detail she has previously lavished (and I use the word both pejoratively and admiringly), it's one of th ...more
Nobbynob Littlun
Despite very much liking the two preceding books - Jack the Bodiless and Diamond Mask - I was very put off by this one. The writing seemed pedantic and the story disjoint.

Maybe I should have read the Saga books first? Thoughts from those who've read the entire spread of books set in this universe?
Batmensch
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final entry of possibly my favorite series of books ever (except for LoTR, natch). This one shows signs of being perhaps a little rushed, but given the overall quality of the series I think I can give Julian May some leeway here.

Two separate series of books are based in this universe:

The Pliocene series (the Many-Coloured Land series)
The Galactic Milieu series

Magnificat, the last book in the Galactic Milieu series, is the story of the rebellion of a part of humanity against the peaceful Gala
Sondra
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is set in a futuristic world in which humanity has colonized planets in outer space, which have organized themselves into a collective alliance known as the Galactic Milieu. Earthlings co-exist peaceably with exotic races in other worlds and travel freely throughout the galaxy using gravity-defying vehicles that span light years within hours or days. Humans have learned to communicate telepathically and must raise “mind walls” to prevent others from probing the depths of their minds an ...more
Andy Goldman
I love these books but I would have a hard time recommending the Galactic Milieu trilogy to anyone, because the pacing of the books is so off. This third book is the worst offender of the three. It’s a slow, sometimes monotonous crawl to a very rushed ending, with too many stops along the way to describe outfits for every character in a scene, or share details on food or architecture.

The way the story circles back to the Pliocene Exile, how May must have it all planned out from the beginning, ho
Pixi Jo
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aw, the end of the Galactic Milieu trilogy!
This was really such a good series, and using the descriptive 'Epic' here is not just pandering the word about. It really was something amazing to read!
No one is spared in this last battle against Fury and all he stands for, and the treads from the previous books are masterfully woven together in a finale that, I think, is just absolutely unable to disappoint!

I would recommend the entire series to any serious reader, fan of Sci-fi, or fantastically wea
Penny
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last of the Galatic Milieu series, which leads into the Pliocene Exile in a satisfactory loop.
I think that it's the weakest of all the 7 books, feeling a bit rushed, and with a lot of galatic politics to wade through. Still, the characters remain compelling, and it's necessary to read it to finish off the series.
I've done my re-read, I can probably leave it for another 10 years or so, but I bet I'll come back to them again..
Kevin
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final volume in the Galactic Milieu Trilogy (and also the entire series) -- if you've read May's Saga of Pliocene Exile, then you know how this ends. It ends where it begins, and the journey is worth it.

I bought these all in the original hard back as I will re-read these again one day. I already miss looking forward the next one...
Charlie Devlin
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kell
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this series of books- I will continue to love them for the rest of my life.

The amount of time I spent crying throughout this one is ridiculous- I will forever be attached to these characters, and their plight will forever influence the way i see the world.

Helen Fink
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Galactic Milieu Trilogy is my ABSOLUTE favorite within Scifi. I read the books before #3 was ready, and had to wait impatiently for the end of the plot.

I have read the Trilogy at least 3 times - and often think about the characters.
Connie
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love coming across a series of books that I can get all wrapped up in. This series has done that for me. Certainly a keeper in my library, to be read again. Welcome to a new earth.
Ben
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why is this book called 'Magnificat'?

The final installment in both the Galactic Milieu Trilogy and the eight book series which began with The Many-Coloured Land - the first book of the Saga of Pliocene Exiles - this is essentially a prequel, but has elements of an epilogue to the entire series as well.

With a return to more exciting style of Intervention, May hypes up the action as things forment and the inevitable rebellion finally fulminates. Unlike Jack the Bodiless or Diamond Mask, the focus
Ward Bond
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

By the mid-twenty-first century, humanity is beginning to enjoy membership in the Galactic Milieu, a confederation of exotic races spread throughout the galaxy. Human colonies are thriving on numerous planets, life on Earth is peaceful and prosperous, more and more humans are being born with the metapsychic abilities that characterize the next step in human evolution . . . and it is not long before these gifted minds will at last achieve total Unity. But xenophobia is deeply rooted in the hum

Andreas
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The scope of this saga spanning eight novels is staggering. A gate is opened to the past, specifically the Pliocene era. But it is a one-way trip. Adventurous souls travel back, and find a world unlike any they could imagine. Epic conflict rages between ancient races, and the future destiny of man is decided. The initial four books make up The Saga of Pliocene Exile.

* The Many-Coloured Land
* The Golden Torc
* The Nonborn King
* The Adversary

These can be read as a standalone series, but who wou
Chris Branch
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The climactic book in the sweeping saga of the Pliocene Exile and the Galactic Milieu - I'm not sure exactly why, but this last volume was less memorable to me than most of the others. In particular I had forgotten the details of Fury's end and even some of the critical events of the final confrontation of the rebellion.

Also if it's not too harsh to say, I felt as if May's impressively polished writing might have slipped just a bit here - yes, some of the cleverness and playful salaciousness was
Alan Denham
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-paper
Finally, the end of this epic . . . no, that sounds as if I am glad it is over. Not so, though the whole thing (eight large volumes!) does leave one with a certain feeling of relief when the end is reached, simply because of its size!
Here, at last are some resolutions, some tying of loose ends. Four stars - it deserves that at least, just for getting me to the end of something so large. And the epic that this is part of is, in my opinion, the best stuff May has written (I haven't yet written rev
Hali Sowle
The final book of the Galactic Milieu Trilogy and the 9 book series compromising the Galactic Milieu Universe. The metaphysical rebellion is looming and Marc is one step closer to engendering Mental Man. Fury and Hydra are aiding Marc from the shadows, although he doesn't realize it and Jack and Diamond may finally understand what the true meaning of Unity is. The book is full of tension and surprises and every page seems to be packed with information. My biggest complaint is that "rebellion" it ...more
SA
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Just as good as it was fifteen years ago. Maybe when I next read it, I will remember to come and brain-dump my thoughts less than three months after reading, but such is not the case now.

I know the ending can seem pretty abrupt, but that's missing the point: in the context of the story, Rogi is only tasked with telling the "secret history" of events from the Remillard family perspective. So not going into great detail about the dramatic encounter is very much a knowing literary conceit; May lea
Michael
Jun 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speaking from a plot standpoint, if you've read the other Galactic Milieu / Pliocene Exile books, there are few surprises in store for you. The Rebellion arrives, characters die, and the saga of the Remillards comes to an end. I felt as if there should have been more of an emotional payoff since I was pretty invested in the first volume, but May had to spend too much time resolving Fury/Hydra to give Jack and Dorothea their due. It would be nice to talk with someone about Unity/Rebellion one day ...more
Graham
And finally. Phew. Eight books later, and the chess pieces are finally in the end game. Fury is resolved, Hydra is resolved, Jack and Illusio attain apotheosis, Marc's mental man project hits difficulties. And the complex multi planet, scifi fantasy, multi entity, metapsychic based, multistoryline, happens over six million years take ends.

There is no point recounting what happens, because it will make no sense unless you read the other books. Suffice to say that Julian May started writing a Celt
Thomas Kimpton
This book culminates a 9 book series. Much of the series refers to the culmination. You are lead to expect an epic culmination. And this book builds up to the two (maybe more, been a while since I've read it) page culmination. WHAT a LET DOWN! I flipped the pages back and forth in disbelief. THAT'S IT? Oh, well. The entire series is great,
Surveillance

It was just a disappoin
Ian M. Walker
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific trilogy.

What more can be said about this trilogy. I hadn't read it since I was a teenager (a couple of centuries ago) and so decided to read it again with my adult eyes and views. I thoroughly enjoyed it once again, finding it compelling and intriguing. I could have done without the religious mumbo jumbo here and there and the absurd apologist excuses defending the eating of fois gras. Otherwise it was complex and very well written.

This should surely become a film.

Now for the Pliocene
John Devlin
Simply the best space opera, and the best series of novels I've ever read. This is the first of the nine, and while the last three show signs of fatigue, these novels capture a cast of characters, and one in Marc Remillard, that are truly memorable. From the worlds and milieu May imagines to her evocative themes, the novels capture humanity with all its foibles and promise, and if you stick around for #6, you'll get the best plot twist in all of bookdom.
G
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the story, but the climax was two pages long, and was speeded through. The detailed events in the rest of the book had led me to expect similar clarity in the final pages. The attack, which had been anticipated for over a decade of book-time, was sketchy at best; it was as if the narrator had not been given all the details, and had mumbled through the explanation.
Rob Carr
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got a bit weird at points but definitely an enjoyable read. It is interesting how Julian had tried to pull together the ending into a sense of justice whilst being consistent with the milieu non-violent approach. I did feel like the ending could have done with more detail though the book does end with a couple of things unexplained. Would recommend this series.

• Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Glory Season
  • Crystal Singer (Crystal Singer, #1)
  • Red Prophet (Tales of Alvin Maker, #2)
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Killashandra (Crystal Singer #2)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Crystal Line (Crystal Singer #3)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)
  • Prentice Alvin (Tales of Alvin Maker, #3)
  • Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1)
  • Acorna: The Unicorn Girl (Acorna #1)
  • All the Weyrs of Pern (Pern, #11)
  • Han Solo's Revenge (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #2)
  • The Time Machine/The War of the Worlds
  • Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1)
Julian May was an American science fiction, fantasy, horror, science and children's writer who also used several pseudonyms including Ian Thorne, Lee N. Falconer and many others.

Galactic Milieu Trilogy (4 books)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • Jack the Bodiless (Galactic Milieu Trilogy #1)
  • Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)

News & Interviews