Start by marking “Diamond Mask (The Galactic Milieu Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
Diamond Mask (The Galactic Milieu Trilogy)

Diamond Mask

(Galactic Milieu Trilogy #2)

The sequel to "Jack the Bodiless" and second in the Galactic Milieu trilogy

Earth is finally part of the Galactic Milieu. But the next step is to achieve Unity with other galactic races. To attain this higher state, we must gather sufficient numbers of the metapsychically talented. However, a rebel group want to keep Earth forever separate. And their covert supporter is Fur
Published February 14th 2013 by Tor (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Diamond Mask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diamond Mask

Michael Battaglia
There are times when its clear that May is having a blast writing this series and there are moments when, having come up with a complicated future history, she looks at it with vaguely veiled exasperation and says, "Geez, now I have to write all this out?"

One of the ways she seems to be keeping the series fresh for herself is by introducing new characters (or fleshing out ones that were only briefly mentioned earlier) and playing those new characters off the established characters to see what ha
Ria
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another totally brilliant installment in Julian May's Galactic Milieu trilogy.
This one as usual is narrated mostly by old Uncle Rogi and tells the tale of a new player in the saga.
Dorothea Macdonald is a little girl who has amazing metapsychic superpowers but even from a young age knowing that she would be destined to play an integral part in the milieu she tries desperately to hide her powers from her family and officials who have an inkling of her metapyschic prowess and live a simple and qui
Kristeen
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Not paced quite as well as the other books in this series. On re-reading I skipped a lot of the political discussions. Don't assume that this is like Lucas showing trade route discussions. The politics are central to the story and full of interest and intrigue. I just wanted to hurry through and get back to Marc who is more present in the third book.
Penny
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another re-read. I don't quite know what it is about these that I enjoy so much. I like the characters, but deplore the constant harping on about ethnic characteristics; I like the whole idea of metapsychology, but get bored with the pseudo-technical bits; I like the Lylmik and the looping round plot, but - no, I just like that. And I think the whole guilt/repentance/presence of evil thing is well observed.
Everyone needs a bit of comfort reading sometimes. This is mine.
Magnificat is waiting for
Charlie Devlin
One of the lesser of the series, a little to much focus on Diamond Mask, although she is still a fine character, she didn't have to much chemistry with Jack until Magnificat after this book. Still a good story nonetheless.
Ben
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The weakest book is a fabulous series, this is the penultimate book in an eight book series, and the second book of the trilogy which wraps up the loose ends of the story and fills in some background in an odd sort of prequel/sequel. Still, perhaps because of the amount of time which has passed since I last read it, I enjoyed it.

The Galactic Milieu Trilogy is itself not as powerful or as exciting as the Saga of Pliocene Exiles, though is very different. However, it does not pack the punch that m
Andreas
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The scope of this saga spanning eight novels is staggering. A gate is opened to the past, specifically the Pliocene era. But it is a one-way trip. Adventurous souls travel back, and find a world unlike any they could imagine. Epic conflict rages between ancient races, and the future destiny of man is decided. The initial four books make up The Saga of Pliocene Exile.

* The Many-Coloured Land
* The Golden Torc
* The Nonborn King
* The Adversary

These can be read as a standalone series, but who wou
Ward Bond
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The 21st century was drawing to a close, and metapsychic humankind was poised at last to achieve Unity -- to be admitted into the group mind of the already unified alien races of the Galactic Milieu. But a growing corps of rebels was plotting to keep the people of Earth forever separate in the name of human individuality. And the rebels had a secret supporter: Fury, the insane metapsychic creatrue that would stop at nothing to claim humanity for itself. Fury's greatest enemy was the mutant geni

Hali Sowle
It's hard for me to know where to begin reviewing this book. The obvious things - it's the second book in the Galactic Milieu Trilogy and the 8th book in the overarching plot that Julian May created between the Pleistocene Era, Intervention and Galactic Milieu series. It introduces Dorothea Macdonald who plays just as important a role in the cause of Unity as Jack himself. It, like the first and last book, is told by a combination of Uncle Rogi's memoirs and regular story telling which can be a ...more
SA
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I have a huge bias about these books because I think they're so damn good, and my impression from 13 is reinforced nearly fifteen years later. I'm sure there are flaws, because there are always flaws, but May brings this world so vividly to life for me and the characters have such depth.

There's a clear bias towards the Western worlds (though she does win lots of points for inclusivity, especially in the late seventies/early eighties before it was common practice) but her loving descriptions of
Chris Branch
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This volume, with its story of Dorothea MacDonald, has a bit of an "interlude" feel to it, a temporary stepping away from the Remillard saga. Of course Marc, Jack, and Rogi still have significant parts to play, but Dorothea's isolated childhood spent in resentment of Jack's attempts at contact seem overly long and a bit tragic. Nevertheless, it's a necessary part of the epic, and in the end her relationship with Jack and the others is solidified. The writing, as might be expected, is the most ma ...more
Alan Denham
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-paper
Good book, but don't start this universe here - this is just a small part of an enormous epic. If you haven't read the others, then start with either The Many-Coloured Land (my review here ) or possibly with Intervention (my review here ).

This is good, though some of the mindpower scenes stretched my 'suspension of disbelief' rather beyond my comfort zone - hence four stars rather than five.
Courteney
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was as good if not better than the first. It was compelling and creative and kept me hooked with different little surprises. Dorothea grew on me as a character throughout the book, and Uncle Rogi still provides some much needed comic relief at certain intervals. This book provides a new insight into both Marc and Jack that we didn't get in the first book and it was thrilling to get a better look into the lives of the Remillard's as well as a deeper understanding of the Fury/Hydra dynam ...more
CD
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiction/Fantasy fans looking for a new tale!
I first read this at almost one sitting several years back. I've only read it two or three times since as I have trouble putting it down.

The style, the story, the pacing all make for an edge of the chair, hang on for the ride read. Yes, I like it more than perhaps it is 'worthy' of but I don't care! This is a recreational favorite that in adding to my books at Goodreads finds me putting this on the special shelf to read once more. I just know that it will consume a rainy Saturday or an overnigh
John Devlin
Simply the best space opera, and the best series of novels I've ever read. This is the first of the nine, and while the last three show signs of fatigue, these novels capture a cast of characters, and one in Marc Remillard, that are truly memorable. From the worlds and milieu May imagines to her evocative themes, the novels capture humanity with all its foibles and promise, and if you stick around for #6, you'll get the best plot twist in all of bookdom.
Graham
More a story of a small girl growing up amidst the monster of Fury and its pet Hydra than of the Remillards. But the story carries on with the building of the rebel faction against the Galactic Milieu. It does also deal with the growing to maturity of Jon, and the amazing helmets of Marc that amplify the psychic powers.
So, look these are good stories but it's meaningless unless you've been in on the journey that started six million years in the past....
Linda
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago when it was first published. After that, I would wait avidly for the next to arrive at the local bookshop. These books made an impact somehow. I sold them at a garage sale in the '90's then re-bought the set recently. Fantasy + science fiction + metas + in depth character development = excellent read.
Patrick Hadley
Aug 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I kept going after the first one was such crap. I guess I just felt guilted into it. Don't make the same mistake I did! This is just a crappy mystery story with a setting and characters that are ridiculously unimaginative, but mostly just ridiculous, even within the genre. I mean, a planet full of Scottish people? What the fuck?!
Michael
Jun 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Hydra and Fury continues as well as the further stories of Jack the Bodiless and Diamond Mask. May gives us the typical middle-of-the-trilogy dip this time, but the only major issue I had was the focus on DM instead of more Jon Remillard.
Cadence
can't find the first book of this trilogy, need to re read that as this one ( obviously) starts in the middle. May's plots & character description / development are not aging well for me, I liked this a lot better when I read it the first time.
Kim
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first. I was not really interested in Diamond Mask's life story. I think, via Intervention and Jack the Bodiless, I've become more locked into the Remilliards' story.
AmbushPredator
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bit of a change of pace. Marc's tale takes a back seat, with Diamond Mask & Jon the centre of attention, though the hunt for Fury and its Hydra acolytes binds it all together.

A stunning final sentence, too! Well done, anyone who saw it coming - I didn't, first time around....
Jenn
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a cliffhanger! If you'll recall from my first notes on Jack the Bodiless, I got grounded from reading the last book in this series. I never knew what happened with Fury!! Twenty years later, I finally get to know lol.
Vicki Ellerhorst
Second in the Metapsycic trilogy that shouldn't be missed. Hollywood would love this if they knew about it.
Natty
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another phenomenal story in the Galactic Milieu series.
Fran Friel
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The whole Galactic Milieu (AND the Intervention books) series knocked my socks off. I think it's time for another read. I need a little deserted island time...
Peter Rowe
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No date in the back of this one. Bookmark halfway through. Maybe didn't finish it?
Simon Gelling
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got bored at 57% so stopped reading it
Monica
Mar 12, 2008 marked it as maybe-someday  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
recommended by Ernie
  • The Gap Into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises (Gap, #3)
  • The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • The Wild (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #2)
  • Sideshow (Arbai, #3)
  • The Stone Within (Chung Kuo, #4)
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • The Empire Novels (Galactic Empire #1-3)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • Levkas Man
  • Monument
  • Helliconia Winter (Helliconia, #3)
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • Return to Eden (West of Eden #3)
  • Pretender (Foreigner, #8)
  • Nothing Sacred
Julian May was an American science fiction, fantasy, horror, science and children's writer who also used several pseudonyms including Ian Thorne, Lee N. Falconer and many others.

Galactic Milieu Trilogy (4 books)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • Jack the Bodiless (Galactic Milieu Trilogy #1)
  • Magnificat (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #3)