Start by marking “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems

Great title poem plus "Kubla Khan," "Christabel," and twenty more sonnets, lyrics, and odes, including Sonnet: To a Friend who asked how I felt when the Nurse first presented my Infant to me, Frost at Midnight, The Nightingale, The Pains of Sleep, To William Wordsworth, Youth and Age, and many more.

All are reprinted from an authoritative edition published by Oxford Univers
Published September 18th 1992 by Dover Publications (first published 1798)

To ask other readers questions about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems

Nick Black
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Top eight (top ten, but in octal) ways to announce general failure to the surrounding area at work (back before telecommuting paradise anyway, w00t):

8) The plane has hit the fucking mountain!
7) I wish someone knew how computers worked around here
6) lpt0: printer on fire
5) Mr. McKitchrick, after careful consideration, I think our system: sucks
4) We're gonna need a bigger boat!
3) OH SHIT THERE'S A HORSE IN THE HOSPITAL
2) FUCK ME THE RINGBUFFER IS FULL

...and the number one way to let people know th
The Dyselxic Bookworm
It was ok, the poems are from a different era, so it was hard for me to grasp. But some of them were decent.
Vitani Days
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sempre un piacere rileggere Coleridge, ed è ancor più piacevole scoprire la sua poesia oltre alla Ballata del Vecchio Marinaio. "Christabel", per esempio, è un capolavoro.Coleridge si conferma poeta dal verso di pennello, sembra continuamente di inuamente di vedere tra le righe un dipinto preraffaelita o i quadri di Caspar Friedrich.
Di un'eleganza squisita, senza pari, poesie intense e commoventi che non sbavano di un millimetro, a tratti visionarie e scure. Dipinge la Natura con parole che ness
Sparrow
I found this in front of a brownstone in Park Slope. It’s published by Dover, which is good karma, and the print is nice and big. I am finally ready (at the age of 62) for Samuel Taylor! He is so weird! He’s a clergyman; he’s a pagan; he’s a 14-year-old girl. These pieces are semi-improvised; he wasn’t a poet, he was a “freestyle rapper,” 120 years early. My favorite piece, I think, is the Gothic “Lady Geraldine.” He can be as creepy as Poe!
And will your mother pity me,
Who am a maiden most forl
Ira Bespalova
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The poem itself is about a Mariner who is telling his tale of sin and forgiveness by God. The Mariner is supposedly responsible for the death of all of the crew on his ship because of his killing of a creature(Albatross) which was to bring them the wind that they needed to put power into the sails of the ship. The whole point of the poem is to encourage or convince the reader to believe the tale that Coleridge tells.
A wonderfully written story! Having finished this short poem I felt an urgent ne
Po Po
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I find this work very stiff. It doesn't take literary risks. It's straight-forward, dour, devoid of humor.

The technical skill set you'd expect from a classic poet is here. So, yes, technically, this is excellent. But some of these poems seem to be missing the crucial emotional element.

My favorite poems are "Christabel", "Lewti", and "Fears in Solitude", "Love", "The Pains of Sleep" and "Dejection: An Ode." These are the ones that seemed the most heartfelt and the least contrived.
Mary Ozbolt
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, poetry
The Ancient Mariner and Christabel are two of my all time favorite poems, so I really enjoyed studying them as touchstones of Romanticism and exhibitions of gothicism and medievalism in my Brit lit 2 class.
Richard
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Albatross Hunters of the Caribbean

This is a very long poem about a group of men who set off without a sat-nav system to *spoiler alert* shoot an albatross. They know this is a bad idea, but they do it anyway. The man who eventually shoots the albatross is cunningly referred to as “the Ancient Mariner” (the AM) to ensure that the name of his family is not brought into disrepute. Having shot the bird, the soul of the AM is doomed to wander the earth, gate-crashing weddings and scaring the guests.
Greg Brozeit
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.”

I think the first time I read this verse in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner was when I began to understand the concept of poetry. An old sailor holds up a wedding guest to tell the story of an ill-fated voyage that he believes he cursed. Truly one of the important works of English literature. The concluding verse; the description of how the wedding guest was moved by the story, is worth remembering even for those who won’t read it:

“He went like o
Lisa Cook
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
One of the staples of European Romanticism. This poem is haunting in a lot of ways. Its Romantic elements are incredible and it's worth reading just because of the incredible number of times this poem is alluded to, probably Frankenstein being my personal favorite. (As a child, Mary Shelley got to listen to Coleridge deliver a reading in her own home - I'm so freakin' jealous...)

Anyway, short anecdote that makes me laugh:
When I asked a fellow teacher friend of mine to describe this poem in a nut
Nicole
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2013
This is more of a musing than a review! It was nice to revisit these poems that I probably haven't read in full for many years. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is especially dear to me since I remember discussing it after a first read with my grandma who had read it while she was in school. There was something fantastic about that. I enjoyed rereading the other poems as well and be able to look at them in a different light than when I was 17. I knew there was a reason I had kept this on my shelf ...more
David
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Wordsworth = namby-pamby, insipid, pompous, daffodil-snorter.
Coleridge rocks, though he did have a substance abuse problem.
Sonja Trbojevic
Coleridge!!!!
Annamariah
'Why look'st thou so?' – With my cross-bow
I shot the Albatross.

I was brought here by Donald Duck. Or rather the two masters of duck comics, Carl Barks and Don Rosa. I have only recently begun reading poetry, and so far I have only chosen stuff I have heard of before. The reason I wanted to read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner was the classic Donald Duck story The Not-So-Ancient Mariner by Carl Barks. After I had picked up this collection from the library, I noticed that it also includes a poe
Dawn
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first decided to enjoy this little book I had owned for many years because I read a book about the mutiny on the Bounty. Samuel Taylor Coleridge, living around that time frame, was supposed to have an opinion on the event which he expressed in his poem, “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”. I found his poem was able to transcend the event and express the human tendency to make a mess of things yet to find redemption follows recognition of the wrong one has committed (much more rare- people tend ...more
James Badger
There are poets whose work seems to speak directly to you, and there are poets who miss that mark. It is no fault of the poet, it is just a fact of human nature. Coleridge is, unfortunately, a poet whose work does not connect with me on a personal level. I appreciate the artistic merit of his work, but I don't really enjoy reading it.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner, in contrast to many of the poems in this volume, is an interesting tale which I have no problem rereading.
Jeff
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This slim volume of four poems from Coleridge includes his best known pieces ("The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Kubla Khan") as well as "Christabel", a piece that was completely new to see and is really the highlight of the volume. This mysterious poem of transformation and salvation is really quite a remarkable piece, and I'm glad I discovered it in these pages!
Alina

The Raven
Laurel
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan - these are poems I could follow. The others were a bit more convoluted and I struggled to understand them.
John Yelverton
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one of the greatest poems ever written, and includes some of the others works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge as well.
Paul Peterson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe it's because I'm not a big poetry fan, maybe it's because I'm sick at the time.
Karl Vicente
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Christabel deserve 5 stars, but there are 31 other poems in this book.
Joanne Valiukas
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My father and I had little in common throughout my life and though he has now passed on, the one thing we did have that I will always recall with fondness was a passion for this particular poem (which he could quote at will) and of course some of Tennyson's works, which I will comment on elsewhere. How is it possible that a poem can transcend the emotions and carry one away to the beat of iambic pentametre? I'm not sure but what I do know is that this is what it does for me...out on the lonely o ...more
Faith Bradham
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
(Ignore the part that says "and Other Poems". I couldn't find an edition with just The Rime in it.)

I recently read this for a second time for my British Literature class. The first time I read it I believe I was 13 or so, and didn't like it at all... but then I didn't like most poetry then. The second time around I enjoyed it very much. Coleridge can tend to the melodramatic side of poetry, but he keeps himself reined in here. The rhyme scheme is particularly delightful, especially with the wor
Kathy Williams
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Roberta
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Coleridge is very wordy and expansive, as befits his era of poetic writing. I couldn't relate to most of his topics, so I cannot say much. The poem 'Cologne' is a nice little rhyme about the smells of the city, and 'Fears in Solitude' has some important anti-war thoughts.
'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner', which is the reason I read this, is a lovely narrative poem, though a little too spiritualistic for me. Douglas Adams borrowed heavily from it in the writing of 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detectiv
Rebecca
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book for a day such as this, when the hail and rain batters the windows and pulls at the bare tree branches; a dramatic background to a collection of works which contain stories and twisting words, which take the reader far from themselves. It's hard to describe Coleridge, only that reading more about him does cast an interesting light onto his poetry. There's lines which stick out to me, ideas which jump from the pages and this is a bulk of poems to be revisited, again and again, promising so ...more
Charlotte
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Read all the poems in this book but The Rime of The Ancient Mariner was my favourite. Its a very long poem, however I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The use of metaphors throughout is amazing and the style is brilliant. I really enjoyed the idea and the plot of the mariner retelling his terrible sea journey.

I read this book for an exam for A-Level but have since revisted it and read it again and still thoroughly enjoy it.
Fox
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, poetry, 2011
I would give "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" or "Kubla Kahn" five stars easily, but a lot of the poetry in the book beyond that didn't do much for me. Samuel Taylor Coleridge is a brilliant writer of the more supernaturally minded poems, and his verses of love are generally rather good. Personally, I'm a bit uncomfortable reading this, as I really haven't a lot of experience with anything beyond the epic poems.
  • The Waste Land and Other Writings
  • Evangeline and Other Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Gasping
  • Jabberwocky and Other Poems
Samuel Taylor Coleridge was an English poet, critic, and philosopher who was, along with his friend William Wordsworth, one of the founders of the Romantic Movement in England and one of the Lake Poets. He is probably best known for his poems The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan, as well as his major prose work Biographia Literaria.
“Down dropt the breeze, the sails dropt down,
'Twas sad as sad could be;
And we did speak only to break
The silence of the sea!

All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody Sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the Moon.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.”