Start by marking “SHAKEN: Stories for Japan” as Want to Read:
SHAKEN: Stories for Japan

SHAKEN: Stories for Japan

One hundred percent of the royalties from this new collection of original stories will go directly to the 2011 JAPAN RELIEF FUND administered by the Japan America Society of Southern California. The 2011 Japan Relief Fund was created on March 11, 2011 to aid victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake and resulting tsunami waves. With the funds that have been raised so far, ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Japan American Socieity of Southern California

To ask other readers questions about SHAKEN, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SHAKEN

Benjamin Sobieck
I'd never heard of the Japan America Society of Southern California before picking up a copy of "Shaken: Stories for Japan." As of the anthology's publishing, the Society has been in existence for 102 years.

Before the earthquake and subsequent tsunamis that hit Japan in March 2011, I hadn't heard of many of the places in Japan that would dominate world headlines. That's what a tragedy will do. For all the wrong reasons, it brings together people regardless of borders, cultures or routine.

For all
Beth
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

SHAKEN is a book of short stories written by some of the most popular writers in fiction today, especially in the mystery genre. Tim Hallinan approached some of his friends with the idea of a book that could be sold as an ebook with all the money going to help the people of Japan suffering from the earthquake and the tsunami. SHAKEN is the result of that collaboration and it is a book worth everyone’s attention. For the paltry sum of $3.99 on Amazon, less than the cost of most fancy coffees, re
Ellie
SHAKEN: Stories for Japan a collection of memories of the recent catastrophe shared by survivors is very moving. I.J. Parker has done a real service by writing down these stories shared by the people who were there. They will serve as a testimony to both tragedy and courage.
Debra
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an impressive collection of short stories with a Japan theme! The Japan Society of Southern California put together this ebook of short stories whose proceeds were to go to disaster relief.

The authors are first rate - several award winners (and future award winners) among them. The stories vary in theme from racism in the San Francisco earthquake to post tsunami, um, enterprise. Some are funny, some bring a lump to your throat. Some are crime stories, some are not.

Consider spending 3.99 an
Ekaser
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This is a collection of short stories by a wide range of authors, using a wide range of styles, for the purpose of raising money to help the victims of the earthquake that devastated much of northern Japan. Some of the stories didn't do much for me, some were WONDERFUL. Worth the read, and you get to help some people at the same time!
Estrella
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO far I've only read the short by Brett Battles, but I look forward to reading the other stories.
Michael
Jan 01, 2014
Debbi Mack
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Simone
Stephen Austin
rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2011
Debbi Mack
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Christina
k.g. bates
Jan 12, 2018
Jack Baines
Jun 04, 2016
I'm a thriller and mystery novelist with 22 published books in three series, all with major imprints. I divides my time between Los Angeles and Southeast Asia, primarily Thailand, where I've lived off and on for more than twenty years. As of now, My primary home is in Santa Monica, California.

I currently write two series, The Poke Rafferty Bangkok Thrillers, most recently FOOLS' RIVER, and the Jun