Start by marking “The 13th” as Want to Read:
The 13th

The 13th

The third novel from Bram Stoker Award winner John Everson. The mysterious Castle House Asylum has been the site of unholy occult rituals using twelve missing women. But the most important is still to comethe 13th.
Published October 27th 2009 by 47North (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 13th, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 13th

Start your review of The 13th
Marie
This was a spooky and bloody romp all the way to the end of the book! The cover of the book shows blood and that is definitely what is within these pages!

Castle House has been abandoned for a long time as it use to be a mental asylum and now it is opened once again. Doctor Rockford is the only doctor on duty along with a nurse to help him out. But there is more than meets the eye with the good ole' doctor as the patients that are within the asylum are far from being crazy.

Women are disappearin
Bill
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Castle House Asylum is dedicated to helping mentally disturbed pregnant women who have been physically abused and psychologically damaged. Or is it? Maybe it is a harvesting center for embryonic stem cells that are funding a mad doctor’s quest to bring about the return of Ba’al in a gore drenched orgy of blood and death. Hmmm…I’m thinking it’s the latter.

John Everson is one sick puppy. The dude likes his sex and gore in the extreme and always manages to create some seriously twisted and o
Nick Cato
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with Everson's last novel, SACRIFICE, and his novella, FAILURE, THE 13TH centers around a demonic ritual; this time a highly unbalanced genetics doctor and his assistant attempt to incarnate the demon Ba'al by impregnating 13 women and slaughtering them (with their babies) during a drunken occult orgy in the basement of a former mental asylum. 'Sound like a cheesy undergound horror flick? While the plot may seem like one, Everson's realistic characters and frantic pace give the story a much m ...more
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Don't judge a book by its cover, because although this cover is surprisingly bad coming from Leisure, it turned out to be a rather demented and generally enjoyable read. The premise and characters seem right out of an Edward Lee novel, only a bit more suspenseful and fast paced. Not as gory as Lee, but I'll take better characters over gore any day. In previous work, Author Everson seems to have a fixation on high cliffs and secluded mountain towns, and "The 13th" is no exception. This new title ...more
TJ
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether it was intentional or not, John Everson's "The 13th" is very "Laymon-like". Most horror fans, I think, would consider that a good thing because of Richard Laymon's reputation for creating memorable characters and plot lines. And, as with most Laymon books, Everson has provided the reader with plenty of gore, gratuitous nudity and sex, copious amounts of violence (especially against the fairer sex in this book - too much IMHO), scenes of dark horror, and a churning plot line.

T
John
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4.5 stars
Story - 4 stars
Narration - 5 stars

I got this on KU, so I decided to rest my eyes and listen to the low-priced Audible narration. The narrator was very good, btw.

This story was pretty good, but it would have been a lot better if the protagonists hadn't been so frustratingly stupid. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I get annoyed when a cop sets out to save someone without bringing her gun.
Jason
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It gripped me from the begginning and it's intensity only increased. Done in a way that I'm now expecting from Everson - entertaining, gripping, shocking and that little twist you are waiting for...
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
I enjoyed this tremendously. Scary good. Will there be another 13th? :O
Michelle
Jan 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction
Never trust the quotes on the back of a book.
Short review: http://perpetualspiralreviews.blogspo...
Kathryn
Dec 31, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am equating this book to my smutty eroticas or paranormal romance series, which are the same stories over and over, just with character names changed. Every reader has a weakness, a sweet-tooth for frivolous candy reads and this is such a book for fans of graphic and gruesome horrors.

I feel as though I owe an explanation for rating this book only 1 star. If you love a ton of gore and blood then this book is for you, as long as you do not require a watertight plot to go with it. I feel there w
Benjamin Barnard
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm not going to spend hours rehashing the plot of this book - you can get all that info for the description above. Sufficed to say, it's an inventive, gripping story line without being groundbreaking - which, to be honest, is exactly what I want from a good horror novel. I read horror to be entertained, not challenged. And Everson is one hell of an entertainer.

The extra gift you get with Everson is nostalgia. In amongst the scares is the priceless pure, bottled teenage summer of the
Andrew Richardson
I prefer my horror supernatural, so this isn’t the sort of story I’d normally choose to pick up (although, in fairness, there is a supernatural element). However, I was soon drawn in; Everson has an easy way with words and can characterise seemingly effortlessly. He does use a lot of characters, and with most writers there would be a danger they would become indistinguishable. However, Everson is good enough to give each their own strong and distinctive voice and I found myself caring about each ...more
John Bruni
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is kind of weird in that it seems like two different books telling the same story. The first half feels like it was written by Richard Laymon, and the second feels like it was written by Edward Lee. As a result, this book is some heavy, intense reading. If nasty and vile is your thing, you need to read this book. My only problem with it is that the characters are a bit too jokey with their one-liners and witty banter when they're in a hellish pit of rape and murder. Humor's OK, but thi ...more
Anthony
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my was this a fucked up little tale! The last part just past halfway mark it never lets up! Very bloody!! This is almost as good as his NIGHTWHERE book, which I gave a better rating. But this is in the same vein as that book. My only complaint with this one is that when some characters are being held against their will by the demon worshippers, they are making sexual jokes? Huh? Why? You are about to get killed by who knows what and the dude can't control himself from staring at the girl's br ...more
Tanya
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The prologue kicked off the book with a bang and it just continued from there. Very gruesome, you have your violence, gore and requisite love interest. Couldn't put it down
Nikki
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This one was a real page-turner and I couldn't put it down! For me, this hailed back to some of the older horror from the 70's and 80's and that's one of my favorite types of horror. A good story, great suspense, and an unexpected ending. Horror makes me thankful for my life, which is FAR less horrific than the stories I read, and I think that's a big part of why I enjoy it so much. It's easy to let life get you down, but when you read a story like this you can seriously count your blessings tha ...more
Marisa Pullan
The story had so much potential, but then there was an excess of blood and gore. I know that blood and gore are part of many horror stories, but this felt like overkill. Almost seems as though the author was going for a shock factor, but instead became repetitive in his writing.
Edward Taylor
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New to John Everson and (thankfully) glad I took the leap. The 13th is a little bit of Brian Keene, Dean Koontz, and smattering of Lovecraft but all tied together with Everson's no nonsense writing style and well place plot points.

4/5 skulls, will read more of his works!
Tim B
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Everson is always entertaining. The man has a wicked and twisted mind and is a great storyteller.
Suby
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superstition can do a lot to distort the perception of even highly qualified, right thinking people. The good doctor would have continued his work on stem cells if only his University had permitted him to carry on with his research instead of asking him to resign for reasons of ethics.The Genetics scientist need not have fallen into the net of the odd woman who studied occult with the aid of old manuscripts. She herself need not have studied occult after having a childhood trauma in which she ca ...more
Scott Johnson
What Everson does right, he does very well. His descriptions of every blood and sweat stained moment are really cringe-inducing, while at the same time fascinating. His descriptions of how the young women (see above) are kidnapped are disturbing to the point of the reader feeling dirty for having read them. His action sequences are top-notch, as is his descriptive prowess.

But where the novel falls down comes from two main deficiencies: plot and characterization. Plot-wise, it's prett
LinBee
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-2011
My introduction to Everson's work, and I will definitely be reading more. Not a light read, but I enjoyed it immensely. Quite bloody and gory, but unlike many horror novels that I've read, it actually has a plot behind all that killing.

In a sleepy town, the old haunted hotel has started functioning again as an asylum for battered and insane pregnant women. But a few residents from the town are not so sure that the women are mad or that the place is actually an asylum. Filled with characters tha
Dana *
Jan 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror lovers, gore lovers, cult stories
DJMikeG
This book suffered from a malady that I have noticed is pretty common in horror fiction. The first half of the book is great, with suspense ratcheting ever higher as the characters (and the reader) try to figure out what manner of sinister stuff is going on. The reveal comes a little too early, and the 'shocking conclusion' drags on for way too long. Everson is a talented writer (and an extremely cool guy), but I wasn't overly impressed with this book. For a great, extremely entertaining Everson ...more
Steve Isaak
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13th is a gleefully glory, often wry B-movie horror read that brings together the elements of small town horror, Satanism, medical horror, sex, a spooky abode, slasher flickdom and excellent, entertaining writing. This may be one of my favorite books from Everson, whose work is often impressive - worth owning, this.

(This review originally appeared on the Reading & Writing By Pub Light site.)
Angela
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A house with a wicked history in what appears to be an idyllic town. David is spending college summer break with his Aunt. Girls are being kidnapped in surrounding area and David manages to get entangled in a web that includes devil worship and a ancient rite. Nice amount of gore, but not a scary novel.
Rob
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like I have found myself a new author to read. I have to say that I've read enough horror novels that I feel like it's pretty hard to shock me, but this one managed to do that a few times. Mostly due to the level of violence and gore. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was an easy and quick read.
Konnie Jones
Dec 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't think I would like this book, as the cover is pretty cheesy. But I bought a copy at a Horror Con in October and met John Everson, who then signed the book (nice guy, by the way). I was quite surprised at how intense the book was, especially since I thought John seemed quiet and meek. Boy, was I wrong! I will definitely check out his other books in the future.
Frank Tesch
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One hell of a ride..

Well Everson does it again ill admit I was reading this at work for the last couple of days but I had to finish it. A unique tale this book you can't judge by its cover. Solid slow burn horror a must read lots of twists it makes the small town look a lot darker then you think.
Dave Pope
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is a white knuckle read. There is a lot of heavy violence particularly closer to the latter stages of the story and the premise may be a little heavy on the sensibilities of some. Kind of like the offspring of an Edward Lee / Richard Laymon union. John Everson is quickly becoming one of my personal top of the heap sought after authors to read.

• Haunted from Without (Haunted from Without #1-2)
  • The Assassin's Gift, Book Two
  • Batman: Kings of Fear (2018-) #2
  • The Assassin's Gift: Book One
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: The Art of the Film
  • Monsters in Our Wake
  • We'll Never Be Apart
  • The Sixth Extinction England & The First Three Weeks England & The Squads First Three Weeks & The Sixth Extinction America & The Seven Seeds of the Gods. Omnibus Edition: Books 1 to 20
  • After The Shot Drops
  • Heck Superhero
  • The Perfect Ghost
  • Hiding
  • March Forward, Girl: From Young Warrior to Little Rock Nine
  • She'll Never Know (Albany Beach Trilogy #2)
  • The Good Boy
  • Fellside
  • Peter's Story (Haunted From Within #2)
  • Hideaway
John Everson is the Bram Stoker Award-winning author of the novels Covenant, Sacrifice, The 13th, Siren and The Pumpkin Man, all released by Dorchester/Leisure Books in paperback and by Delirium, Necro and Bad Moon Books in limited hardcover. His sixth novel, NightWhere, was a 2012 Bram Stoker Award Finalist. The Family Tree, NightWhere and Violet Eyes, his "creepy spider novel" were released from Samhain Publishing. In January 2017, Redemption, t ...more